PC Gaming 2012: Top Ten Best Looking Games.

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Uncharted, MGS4, God of War 3, and Halo 4 all look just as good.

At least when compared to my PC anyway

GioVela2010

that's because your 670 is broken.

And you need glasses.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

SweetFX looks quite a bit better than that.

mitu123

I'm not saying it does, I'm not saying it doesn't. I haven't seen Dishonored with sweetfx, I have no interest in playing it with sweetfx as the game looks fine as it is to me.

I'm replying to the part where you said Dishonored vanilla looks like nothing special. I don't agree with that. I think it has a great looking artstyle that makes up for what it may lack in technical power.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

This thread confirms that pc graphics are no where near a generation ahead. Most pc games are just console ports with high resolution and slightly better effects. Sure they look better, but a gen ahead, please. Pc hardware is way beyond a gen ahead but that's useless until developers use that power. The only pc excluseives anymore are rts and mmo and indie games. There's no longer big budget pc exclusives like the original Crysis that push pc hardware. It's sad really all that power really has been wasted for a long time. The only things that's going to push pc graphics is when ps4 and 720 come out.

angelsrul_basic

They don't look ahead...only 30-40%.

But they certainly run/play a gen ahead (performance).

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#104 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]I see, so this was just a troll then, since you're already attempting to say I must be butthurt. Nevermind I'll just move along then.

Vaasman

You are butthurt, and I wasn't trolling. Why else would you bring up WoW?

Not even I good troll, I mean geeze can't you put more entertainment into it? At least make it funny or obvious... What is this world coming to when the trolls won't put forth the effort anymore. Use to be back in the day you'd get a multi-page troll with pictures and funny memes. Then we'd all have a laugh and make a big party out of it. Not anymore. Sad day in system wars.

Hahaha, look at this guy. He's adamant that I'm trolling because I called him out on his idiotic red herring attempt to inject WoW into a discussion where it's not at all relevant. It's like he realized how stupid he was and then attempted to shift the blame onto me to save face.

Keep trying, kid.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

This thread confirms that pc graphics are no where near a generation ahead. Most pc games are just console ports with high resolution and slightly better effects. Sure they look better, but a gen ahead, please. Pc hardware is way beyond a gen ahead but that's useless until developers use that power. The only pc excluseives anymore are rts and mmo and indie games. There's no longer big budget pc exclusives like the original Crysis that push pc hardware. It's sad really all that power really has been wasted for a long time. The only things that's going to push pc graphics is when ps4 and 720 come out.

angelsrul_basic

tesv2012111920141947.jpgtesv2012100100055464.jpgtesv2012100214023051.jpgtesv2012111920141101.jpgtesv2013011019493111.jpgtesv2012070423314494.jpgtesv2013011319363104.jpgtesv2013011423133684.jpgtesv2012100221543969.jpg
tesv2012111920160933.jpg
tesv2012100120212650.jpgtesv2012100221183289.jpg

Looks nex gen nuff to me.
jlB8B5Q.jpg?1

And what's this? LOL.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

926596_20080613_screen011.jpg

PCgameruk

That fish looks tasty!

Wait, it is fish... right?

Just checking...

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="angelsrul_basic"]

faizan_faizan

And what's this? LOL.

How does modded Skyrim disprove that most developers don't bother to make games intended for top-end PC hardware?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#108 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

SweetFX looks quite a bit better than that.

R4gn4r0k

I'm not saying it does, I'm not saying it doesn't. I haven't seen Dishonored with sweetfx, I have no interest in playing it with sweetfx as the game looks fine as it is to me.

I'm replying to the part where you said Dishonored vanilla looks like nothing special. I don't agree with that. I think it has a great looking artstyle that makes up for what it may lack in technical power.

Artsyle is great, reason I said nothing special is because I judged it's technical graphics only, I don't tend to judge art styles because it's subjective.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

princeofshapeir

And what's this? LOL.

How does modded Skyrim disprove that most developers don't bother to make games intended for top-end PC hardware?

It just proves that PCs are capable of, and are currently, pushing those graphics. Whether professional, established developers are the ones doing it doesn't matter.

And even if console fanboys want to exclude mods (because they're jelly), there are unmodded games that absolutely crush anything available on consoles. Crysis 2 with DX11 and the official HD textures is undeniably better looking than any and all console games (except, possibly, from an artstyle standpoint. But that's subjective, and is entirely a matter of opinion). Anyone who argues that is blind.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

DragonfireXZ95
Yeah, because the PC is only as good as its owner. What does that say about you?

Oh please it's not that hard to slide everything to Max
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

princeofshapeir

And what's this? LOL.

Not every dev has an intention to make PC games next gen, Compare FC3 Ultra to Consoles and it looks like comparing cartoons to 1080P movies, Devs are already giving us what we want, If they push it any further than everyone would be complaining otherwise, Look at what happened with Crysis, And Crytek is doing it again.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 GioVela2010

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

the_bi99man

And you need glasses.

It's not broken, your PC sucks tho
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] You are butthurt, and I wasn't trolling. Why else would you bring up WoW? princeofshapeir

Not even I good troll, I mean geeze can't you put more entertainment into it? At least make it funny or obvious... What is this world coming to when the trolls won't put forth the effort anymore. Use to be back in the day you'd get a multi-page troll with pictures and funny memes. Then we'd all have a laugh and make a big party out of it. Not anymore. Sad day in system wars.

Hahaha, look at this guy. He's adamant that I'm trolling because I called him out on his idiotic red herring attempt to inject WoW into a discussion where it's not at all relevant. It's like he realized how stupid he was and then attempted to shift the blame onto me to save face.

Keep trying, kid.

"Hey everyone, come see how good I am at trolling, I shall make a mockery of this other user to prove it!"

It's just so obvious at this point. No need to keep it going. We can all tell.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

And what's this? LOL.

the_bi99man

It just proves that PCs are capable of, and are currently, pushing those graphics. Whether professional, established developers are the ones doing it doesn't matter.

And even if console fanboys want to exclude mods (because they're jelly), there are unmodded games that absolutely crush anything available on consoles. Crysis 2 with DX11 and the official HD textures is undeniably better looking than any and all console games (except, possibly, from an artstyle standpoint. But that's subjective, and is entirely a matter of opinion). Anyone who argues that is blind.

Well, his original point was that there are very few games developed specifically for PC that are intended to push modern PC hardware to its limits. We haven't seen a game do that since The Witcher 2, which arguably didn't do it very well as it was entirely DX9 and not extremely demanding. Crysis is really the best example of a PC-exclusive game to push modern hardware to its limits. Mods, therefore, aren't relevant to that sort of point. Everyone knows modded GTA IV and Skyrim look absolutely mind-blowing and practically a generation ahead, but they don't make up for the lack of developer interest in creating a game designed for top-end PC hardware.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]Not even I good troll, I mean geeze can't you put more entertainment into it? At least make it funny or obvious... What is this world coming to when the trolls won't put forth the effort anymore. Use to be back in the day you'd get a multi-page troll with pictures and funny memes. Then we'd all have a laugh and make a big party out of it. Not anymore. Sad day in system wars.

Vaasman

Keep trying, kid.

"Hey everyone, come see how good I am at trolling, I shall make a mockery of this other user to prove it!"

You are pathetic. Admit you were wrong in bringing up WoW and go back to my original point. Guild Wars 2 isn't a great-looking game by modern standards, and me stating that isn't an attempt to troll at all.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

GioVela2010

And you need glasses.

Indeed mine does. I can actually say that games on my PC don't look significantly better than consoles. But that's because I'm gaming on a 4 year old laptop, and play most recent games at barely above minimum settings, and at 720p. And that looks pretty much identical to the console versions, while running at higher framerates. You saying that your alleged beast of a computer, with an i7, 670, and 24 gigs of RAM doesn't run games looking significantly better than consoles means that you're trolling and/or lying. My money is on both.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Keep trying, kid.

princeofshapeir

You are pathetic. Admit you were wrong in bringing up WoW and go back to my original point. Guild Wars 2 isn't a great-looking game by modern standards, and me stating that isn't an attempt to troll at all.

Wrong about what? WoW is a bad looking game, and it's a graphics thread, and you're claiming one of it's major competitors looks bad while you still play WoW. Really don't see how WoW has nothing to do with this, if you play that game regularly then it's hypocritical to be upset by bad technical graphics of other, better looking MMO's, especially when no one here is arguing that it was great looking for that reason.

And besides, Guild Wars 2 is a good looking game, one of the best looking RPG's out I would say, especially in it's art design. Frankly I think your original statement was questionable as well. You claimed it's jaggy and has too much bloom? I mean I played for the better part of 300 hours, and there was no point when I thought the game had either of those problems. You can certainly argue against certain areas being too blocky, or some environment textures being low res, or the clipping on a lot of armor designs and animations, or the draw distance in some areas should be better. But it's not blurry, it's not jaggy, and it doesn't have too much bloom. I think that's the kind of thing someone who doesn't play would say, because they looked at a screenshot or video and came to that conclusion based on what they wanted to believe.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#118 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Where the fvck is The Witcher 2?
cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

crysis 2 still looks better than all these games.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 the_bi99man

Where the fvck is The Witcher 2?ShadowsDemon

Not a 2012 game. The Enhanced Edition is, but I don't think anyone (in this thread) is counting special editions released after the initial games.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

926596_20080613_screen011.jpgGioVela2010

:lol:

Yousaying that your alleged beast of a computer, with an i7, 670, and 24 gigs of RAM doesn't run games looking significantly better than consoles means that you're trolling and/or lying. My money is on both.

This. It doesn't matter what PC he has, his opinion has been disproven with direct-feeds of those games he mentioned :lol:

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#122 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'd say Sleeping Dogs at 3840x2160 with SweetFX + FXAA and Far Cry 3 at 2560x1440 w/ 2x SGSSAA and SweetFX are the best looking games of 2012.

Crysis 3 will rape both.

Riadon2

I'm still trying to get 3840x2160 to work, my highest so far is 3360x2100.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]"Hey everyone, come see how good I am at trolling, I shall make a mockery of this other user to prove it!"

Vaasman

Wrong about what? WoW is a bad looking game, and it's a graphics thread, and you're claiming one of it's major competitors looks bad while you still play WoW. Really don't see how WoW has nothing to do with this, if you play that game regularly then it's hypocritical to be upset by bad technical graphics of other, better looking MMO's, especially when no one here is arguing that it was great looking for that reason.

And besides, Guild Wars 2 is a good looking game, one of the best looking RPG's out I would say, especially in it's art design. Frankly I think your original statement was questionable as well. You claimed it's jaggy and has too much bloom? I mean I played for the better part of 300 hours, and there was no point when I thought the game had either of those problems. You can certainly argue against certain areas being too blocky, or some environment textures being low res, or the clipping on a lot of armor designs and animations, or the draw distance in some areas should be better. But it's not blurry, it's not jaggy, and it doesn't have too much bloom. I think that's the kind of thing someone who doesn't play would say, because they looked at a screenshot or video and came to that conclusion based on what they wanted to believe.

We're talking exclusively about graphics. I'm well aware WoW was released in 2004 and uses the WC3 engine. It would be idiotic to argue that it's a better-looking game than Guild Wars 2. But I'm not arguing that at all. You saying my statement that GW2 looks bad isn't valid simply because I play WoW is like me saying you have no right to talk about PC graphics because you have an Xbox Live account, and therefore play console games. I play a host of other demanding, graphically capable games; simply because I play one game that doesn't have the best graphics doesn't render my opinion worthless.

Furthermore, I do own Guild Wars 2 and have played a lot of it. If you recall, I was incredibly hyped for the game leading up to release and participated in every beta event since the very first closed beta available to the public. I'm easily able to play it on max settings (though I'm amused that the optimization still isn't where it should be and there's a fair amount of framerate issues several months after release). Let me show you a few screenshots to demonstrate why the game looks very inconsistent and plain ugly visually:

gw22013011915541442.png

The game's only anti-aliasing option is FXAA. There are no options for SSAO and there are no DX11 features. I think I remember ANet saying in one of the betas that they'd add some DX11 features in shortly after launch, but here we are in mid-January 2013.

Also, my PC specs: GTX 670, i7 3770k, 8GB of RAM and Guild Wars 2 installed on an SSD. I enabled supersampling just to demonstrate the game at absolute max settings even though supersampling isn't really necessary.

gw22013011915553453.png

Ugly lighting and shaders highlight the game's unnatural, oversaturated look. I can appreciate the artistic design but I'm wholly put off by the lighting and colors.

gw22013011915563842.png

Those trees look pretty horrendous and the shadowing is very flat and boring. Light given off by certain objects isn't dynamic and appears like a blob of saturation on the ground (the lantern on the right). Notice in this screenshot and the next how the bloom is practically blinding on certain objects.

gw22013011915571277.png

gw22013011916032298.png

If I didn't know better, I'd honestly mistake this for a screenshot of Guild Wars 1.

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 cryemocry

Just wait consoles you might get 1080p crysis 2 in 10 years.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7679/crysis22013011917560608.jpg

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 GioVela2010

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

And you need glasses.

the_bi99man

Indeed mine does. I can actually say that games on my PC don't look significantly better than consoles. But that's because I'm gaming on a 4 year old laptop, and play most recent games at barely above minimum settings, and at 720p. And that looks pretty much identical to the console versions, while running at higher framerates. You saying that your alleged beast of a computer, with an i7, 670, and 24 gigs of RAM doesn't run games looking significantly better than consoles means that you're trolling and/or lying. My money is on both.

Money on both? Put your money where your mouth is :P
dom2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 dom2000
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts
Oh please lol Chivalry is a good game but it really doesnt look well at all! Wouldnt even make the top30 best looking games not to mention the top10! Planetside 2 also doesnt deserve to be in that list either! Those textures....
dom2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 dom2000
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts
Even from a mile a way a blind elephant could see that pc graphics are in another league than your little consoles! Unless ofcourse you enjoy jaggy edges and blurry textures?
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

cryemocry
Yeah so do alot of other games. But this is a thread about the best looking games in 2012.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Vaasman

We're talking exclusively about graphics. I'm well aware WoW was released in 2004 and uses the WC3 engine. It would be idiotic to argue that it's a better-looking game than Guild Wars 2. But I'm not arguing that at all. You saying my statement that GW2 looks bad isn't valid simply because I play WoW is like me saying you have no right to talk about PC graphics because you have an Xbox Live account, and therefore play console games. I play a host of other demanding, graphically capable games; simply because I play one game that doesn't have the best graphics doesn't render my opinion worthless.

Furthermore, I do own Guild Wars 2 and have played a lot of it. If you recall, I was incredibly hyped for the game leading up to release and participated in every beta event since the very first closed beta available to the public. I'm easily able to play it on max settings (though I'm amused that the optimization still isn't where it should be and there's a fair amount of framerate issues several months after release). Let me show you a few screenshots to demonstrate why the game looks very inconsistent and plain ugly visually:

The game's only anti-aliasing option is FXAA. There are no options for SSAO and there are no DX11 features. I think I remember ANet saying in one of the betas that they'd add some DX11 features in shortly after launch, but here we are in mid-January 2013.

Also, my PC specs: GTX 670, i7 3770k, 8GB of RAM and Guild Wars 2 installed on an SSD. I enabled supersampling just to demonstrate the game at absolute max settings even though supersampling isn't really necessary.

Ugly lighting and shaders highlight the game's unnatural, oversaturated look. I can appreciate the artistic design but I'm wholly put off by the lighting and colors.

Those trees look pretty horrendous and the shadowing is very flat and boring. Light given off by certain objects isn't dynamic and appears like a blob of saturation on the ground (the lantern on the right). Notice in this screenshot and the next how the bloom is practically blinding on certain objects.

If I didn't know better, I'd honestly mistake this for a screenshot of Guild Wars 1.

princeofshapeir

At no point was it mentioned that this thread is discussing technical graphics. Reread the OP if you want, it's not there. The thread title says top ten best LOOKING games. Not best technical graphics. You're spending a whole lot of time trying to argue it looks bad, when it doesn't. It looks good. The artistic merits of the game carry it way beyond it's technical limitations. And no one argued otherwise or mentioned pure technical design, at least not until the Skyrim mod posts came into it. So when you say:

Guild Wars 2 looks like ass.

princeofshapeir 2013

You're saying that in the context of it's entire visual design.

You appear to be so gung-ho in your efforts to critique it on a technical level, just because someone brought the game up in this thread, that you've ignored the fact that that the thread topic doesn't mention what we are judging these games' visuals on at all.

This game really is beautiful.

princeofshapeir 2012 on GW2

The entire reason I brought up WoW is because that is a game that, like GW2, is praised for it's ability to carry the graphics with excellent art design. So for someone who plays that game to turn around and say GW2 looks like ass, I mean do you not see the problem here?

To answer your original non-query, yes I am asspained, you're being ridiculous.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]At no point was it mentioned that this thread is discussing technical graphics. Reread the OP if you want, it's not there. The thread title says top ten best LOOKING games. Not best technical graphics. You're spending a whole lot of time trying to argue it looks bad, when it doesn't. It looks good. The artistic merits of the game carry it way beyond it's technical limitations. And no one argued otherwise or mentioned pure technical design, at least not until the Skyrim mod posts came into it. So when you say:

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir 2013"]

Guild Wars 2 looks like ass.

Vaasman

You're saying that in the context of it's entire visual design.

You appear to be so gung-ho in your efforts to critique it on a technical level, just because someone brought the game up in this thread, that you've ignored the fact that that the thread topic doesn't mention what we are judging these games' visuals on at all.

This game really is beautiful.

princeofshapeir 2012 on GW2

The entire reason I brought up WoW is because that is a game that, like GW2, is praised for it's ability to carry the graphics with excellent art design. So for someone who plays that game to turn around and say GW2 looks like ass, I mean do you not see the problem here?

To answer your original non-query, yes I am asspained, you're being ridiculous.

It's really quite simple to see that WoW's artstyle carries it far more than Guild Wars 2 carries it because WoW aims for an exclusively cartoony look. Guild Wars 2 aims for a middleground between realism and a painterly vibe. In short, WoW is wholly cartoonish while Guild Wars 2 is far more "realistic." Thus, the technical flaws stand out far more.
cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 cryemocry
[QUOTE="cryemocry"]

PCgameruk
Yeah so do alot of other games. But this is a thread about the best looking games in 2012.

none worth mentioning in 2012 lol
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#133 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="PCgameruk"][QUOTE="cryemocry"]

cryemocry

none worth mentioning in 2012 lol

Like Hawken? yeah...
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#134 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]Where the fvck is The Witcher 2?the_bi99man

Not a 2012 game. The Enhanced Edition is, but I don't think anyone (in this thread) is counting special editions released after the initial games.

Fair enough I guess.