PC Gamers: Your Rig and How It Compares to Consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

PC Gamers, how has your experience with your PC gaming rig been? How much did it cost you when you built it/ bought it and how much did you invest in upgrades? Is the graphical superiority to consoles existent, in your experience, and is it worth the money?

When I built my PC back in 2010, it cost me $1600. I've since added an aftermarket heatsink ($65), a BluRay Disc drive ($100), a new case ($100), and a new graphics card ($300).

My experience with PC gaming has been a mixed bag. In regard to games that I've also played on consoles (GTA IV, Far Cry 2, Resident Evil 5, and Dead Space), the only one that looked significantly better in terms of raw graphical output was GTA IV. On the PS3, it was a blurry mess plagued by low resolution textures, but on PC it's much sharper and the textures are clearer. However, though all of the others sport better post-processing effects (AA and AF), they don't look much better, if better at all, in terms of raw graphical output.

With more recent multiplatform games, such as BF3 and Crysis 3, I can't comment on their console counterparts as I've never played them and have sold my PS3 and XBOX 360. However, I can say that they look amazing on PC, as I can play them at 1920 x 1080 with all settings maxed and experience amazing performance.

In regard to exclusive titles, such as Crysis and Crysis Warhead, the graphical leap is huge, even to this day. The games sport much higher texture resolutions, more realistic physics, realistic water rendering, and very large, open environments. I've never seen anything of their caliber on current-generation consoles.

Overall, I'd say that the graphical superiority is present, though its significance varies according to whether a game is also available on console or is a PC exclusive. I also think that the superiority is worth the money I've put into my machine.

#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (43438 posts) -

I bought mine forever ago, and it performed well for a few years. I spent around $1700 IIRC. Gonna be putting together a small form-factor HTPC next, instead of a full gaming rig.

#3 Edited by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

Spent 1100$ a year ago, playing on a 27" 2560x1440.

Destroying console specs

#4 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Spent 1100$ a year ago, playing on a 27" 2560x1440.

Destroying console specs

LMAO a good Plasma TV destroys 1440p IPS monitors.

I know, i own both

#5 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:

Spent 1100$ a year ago, playing on a 27" 2560x1440.

Destroying console specs

What kind of monitor do you have and how much did it cost?

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:
@MonsieurX said:

Spent 1100$ a year ago, playing on a 27" 2560x1440.

Destroying console specs

What kind of monitor do you have and how much did it cost?

Shimian,spent 300$

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Spent 1100$ a year ago, playing on a 27" 2560x1440.

Destroying console specs

LMAO a good Plasma TV destroys 1440p IPS monitors.

I know, i own both

LMAO,your opinion.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@MonsieurX:

@MonsieurX said:

@GioVela2010 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Spent 1100$ a year ago, playing on a 27" 2560x1440.

Destroying console specs

LMAO a good Plasma TV destroys 1440p IPS monitors.

I know, i own both

LMAO,your opinion.

LMAO your setup.

LMAO you're not even allowed to have an opinion since you dont own a great Plasma TV

Oh boy,you're getting even more ridiculous each day.

#10 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

#11 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

My PC is nothing special, I built it last year for about £600. It's an i5 2500k, 16GB of RAM and a GTX 560 ti 448 core edition graphics card. Graphics wise it's certainly beyond any of my consoles, but the real reasons I love gaming on my PC over my consoles are much more than just higher resolutions and fancier post processing.

On my PC I can enjoy fantastic free mods (I'm looking at you Brutal Doom) and masses of older titles (Cheers, gog!) for practically free as well as getting my new releases cheaper and enjoy essential little extra touches like having a few episodes of some TV show running on another monitor, hopping into a mumble server or Skype chat or even just being able to ALT + Tab out to quickly look something up.

Gaming on a PC for me isn't just about adding some graphical bells and whistles, it's a much more capable platform no matter what angle you're looking from.

#12 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

So do it than. until than STFU :D

#13 Posted by -Snooze- (7304 posts) -

I spent about £800 on my newest PC 2 years ago, taking advantage of some deals, and it's safe to say it blows the new gen of consoles away

#14 Edited by gameofthering (10261 posts) -

About £750 then I added to it, so it's probably around £1000 total.

I feel like it's worth it. I like having a clear display and a smooth gameplay experience(120Hz display)

#15 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

So do it than. until than STFU :D

My point is that the supposed superiority of plasma tvs to monitors is irrelevant to this thread as plasma tvs aren't incompatible with PCs. You're starting a stupid argument.

#16 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

My PC is nothing special, (POSTS SPECS)

lmao you weren't kidding!

#17 Posted by lostrib (37036 posts) -

I assume a 3570K and a 670 are better. Probably upgrade the GPU in a year or two

#18 Posted by lundy86_4 (43438 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

So do it than. until than STFU :D

#19 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

So do it than. until than STFU :D

Great grammar there champ'

#20 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I'd like to mention that another awesome thing about PC gaming is free and/ or cheap digital downloads of games. My HD 7970 came with a code that enabled me to download three free games of my choice; I chose Tomb Raider, Dirt: Showdown, and Far Cry 3 (though I think my key-code for Far Cry 3 has expired; I should have downloaded it immediately). I also got three free key-codes from a friend I made via steam; the key-codes were for Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, and Battlefield 3.

#22 Posted by Kinthalis (5317 posts) -

It's hard to say since I usually sell my stuff on Ebay or to friends before doing any major upgrades, which is what I didi two years ago.

My estimate would be around $1600. But I actually spent about half that out of pocket, since I sold all my previous gear.

It DEMOLISHES the PS4 - but it's nto unexpected at that price point ;)

It's two GTX 680's in SLI with an i7. Both the GPU's and the CPU are oveclocked. My CPU runs at 4.7 Ghz, my GPU's at +600 Mhz on the RAM and + 50mhz on the GPU.

I'm running on a 2560x1440 IPS monitor or my 1080p 60" TV (but seldomly).

#23 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@barrybarryk said:

My PC is nothing special, (POSTS SPECS)

lmao you weren't kidding!

You are a terribly obvious troll. Please go.

#24 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

So do it than. until than STFU :D

My point is that the supposed superiority of plasma tvs to monitors is irrelevant to this thread as plasma tvs aren't incompatible with PCs. You're starting a stupid argument.

He has done this before.

It's OK BRHD. You and I both know that the PC has an HDMI out, and the TV has an HDMI in.

I'm not sure what GioVela's point is. Probably that 'most hermits' have their rig connected to 'jittery garbage lcd' or something.

#25 Edited by lundy86_4 (43438 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

lol peasant setup owners resorting to grammar now. Typical

Education is important, sunshine.

#26 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

So do it than. until than STFU :D

My point is that the supposed superiority of plasma tvs to monitors is irrelevant to this thread as plasma tvs aren't incompatible with PCs. You're starting a stupid argument.

He has done this before.

It's OK BRHD. You and I both know that the PC has an HDMI out, and the TV has an HDMI in.

I'm not sure what GioVela's point is. Probably that 'most hermits' have their rig connected to 'jittery garbage lcd' or something.

And his TV is better than anything in the world

#27 Posted by lostrib (37036 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@GioVela2010: It's not as if a monitor can't be connected to a plasma tv. So, what's your point?

So do it than. until than STFU :D

My point is that the supposed superiority of plasma tvs to monitors is irrelevant to this thread as plasma tvs aren't incompatible with PCs. You're starting a stupid argument.

He has done this before.

It's OK BRHD. You and I both know that the PC has an HDMI out, and the TV has an HDMI in.

I'm not sure what GioVela's point is. Probably that 'most hermits' have their rig connected to 'jittery garbage lcd' or something.

He's trolling. Just ignore him. Start posting specs and pics

#28 Posted by lostrib (37036 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

It's hard to say since I usually sell my stuff on Ebay or to friends before doing any major upgrades, which is what I didi two years ago.

My estimate would be around $1600. But I actually spent about half that out of pocket, since I sold all my previous gear.

It DEMOLISHES the PS4 - but it's nto unexpected at that price point ;)

It's two GTX 680's in SLI with an i7. Both the GPU's and the CPU are oveclocked. My CPU runs at 4.7 Ghz, my GPU's at +600 Mhz on the RAM and + 50mhz on the GPU.

I'm running on a 2560x1440 IPS monitor or my 1080p 60" TV (but seldomly).

for kepler cards, it's better to give the actual overclocks (Mhz) rather than the how much it increased as each card boosts differently

#29 Edited by clyde46 (46296 posts) -

I started in 2007 with a Intel E7300 and a 4670 1GB. Boy it was good times. MY E7300 made it to 3.3GHz on stock volts, normal clock speed was 2.6GHz! My current rig consists of:

Intel 2600K @3.4GHz
MSI GD65-P67a

8GB of Corsair Vengence

Asus GTX 580 1.5GB

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB

Corsair AX750 Gold

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Corsair Force GT 240GB

Corsair H100 with SP120's Quiet Edition fans

Corsair 600T with AF120's Performance Edition fans

1TB Samsung 7200 Spinpoint F3


Heres the inside.

#30 Posted by lostrib (37036 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I started in 2007 with a Intel E7300 and a 4670 1GB. Boy it was good times. MY E7300 made it to 3.3GHz on stock volts, normal clock speed was 2.6GHz! My current rig consists of:

Intel 2600K @3.4GHz

MSI GD65-P67a

8GB of Corsair Vengence

Asus GTX 580 1.5GB

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB

Corsair AX750 Gold

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Corsair Force GT 240GB

Corsair H100 with SP120's Quiet Edition fans

Corsair 600T with AF120's Performance Edition fans

1TB Samsung 7200 Spinpoint F3

Heres the inside.

dat cable management

also, doesn't the 600T have a vent on the bottom so the PSU fan should be facing down?

#31 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@clyde46 ; had a similar setup back in 2007 with a e8400 and 4850. Good ole times

#32 Posted by Kinthalis (5317 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

I'd like to mention that another awesome thing about PC gaming is free and/ or cheap digital downloads of games. My HD 7970 came with a code that enable me to download three free games of my choice; I chose Tomb Raider, Dirt: Showdown, and Far Cry 3 (though I think my key-code for Far Cry 3 has expired; I should have downloaded it immediately). I also got three free key-codes from a friend I made via steam; the key-codes were for Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, and Battlefield 3.

Yep. I JUST Picked up Arkham Origins for $37 at green man gaming.

Console gamers will have to fork over $60 for that game.

#34 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

And his TV is better than anything in the world

I'm very interested in your 1440p monitor. what gpu have you got to drive that? can you max most games?

#35 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

@MonsieurX said:

And his TV is better than anything in the world

I'm very interested in your 1440p monitor. what gpu have you got to drive that? can you max most games?

670 2gb.

Didn't have problems with any game so far.

#36 Posted by clyde46 (46296 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

I started in 2007 with a Intel E7300 and a 4670 1GB. Boy it was good times. MY E7300 made it to 3.3GHz on stock volts, normal clock speed was 2.6GHz! My current rig consists of:

Intel 2600K @3.4GHz

MSI GD65-P67a

8GB of Corsair Vengence

Asus GTX 580 1.5GB

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB

Corsair AX750 Gold

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Corsair Force GT 240GB

Corsair H100 with SP120's Quiet Edition fans

Corsair 600T with AF120's Performance Edition fans

1TB Samsung 7200 Spinpoint F3

Heres the inside.

dat cable management

also, doesn't the 600T have a vent on the bottom so the PSU fan should be facing down?

I need to re-do it but I'm going to attack the case with a dermal soon. Up facing PSU master race reporting in.

#37 Edited by clyde46 (46296 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@clyde46 ; had a similar setup back in 2007 with a e8400 and 4850. Good ole times

I wish I never sold that CPU :(

#38 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

@MonsieurX said:

And his TV is better than anything in the world

I'm very interested in your 1440p monitor.

Don't be, my 1080p Plasma takes massive wet dumps on my 1440p Apple monitor. Don't fall for the resolution hype.

#39 Posted by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@clyde46 ; had a similar setup back in 2007 with a e8400 and 4850. Good ole times

I wish I never sold that CPU :(

OC'd mine to something like 4.5,running like a champ. Then upgraded to a GTX 460 1gb 2 years later

#40 Posted by Basinboy (11175 posts) -

Totally worth it

Spent $2000 in June 2012 ($1550 on the PC + $450 on the monitor)

#41 Posted by lostrib (37036 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

I started in 2007 with a Intel E7300 and a 4670 1GB. Boy it was good times. MY E7300 made it to 3.3GHz on stock volts, normal clock speed was 2.6GHz! My current rig consists of:

Intel 2600K @3.4GHz

MSI GD65-P67a

8GB of Corsair Vengence

Asus GTX 580 1.5GB

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB

Corsair AX750 Gold

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Corsair Force GT 240GB

Corsair H100 with SP120's Quiet Edition fans

Corsair 600T with AF120's Performance Edition fans

1TB Samsung 7200 Spinpoint F3

Heres the inside.

dat cable management

also, doesn't the 600T have a vent on the bottom so the PSU fan should be facing down?

I need to re-do it but I'm going to attack the case with a dermal soon. Up facing PSU master race reporting in.

But it causes the PSU to suck in hot air from the GPUs

#42 Posted by clyde46 (46296 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@clyde46 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@clyde46 ; had a similar setup back in 2007 with a e8400 and 4850. Good ole times

I wish I never sold that CPU :(

OC'd mine to something like 4.5,running like a champ. Then upgraded to a GTX 460 1gb 2 years later

MY 460 OC'd like a boss.

#43 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

I started in 2007 with a Intel E7300 and a 4670 1GB. Boy it was good times. MY E7300 made it to 3.3GHz on stock volts, normal clock speed was 2.6GHz! My current rig consists of:

Intel 2600K @3.4GHz

MSI GD65-P67a

8GB of Corsair Vengence

Asus GTX 580 1.5GB

Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB

Corsair AX750 Gold

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Corsair Force GT 240GB

Corsair H100 with SP120's Quiet Edition fans

Corsair 600T with AF120's Performance Edition fans

1TB Samsung 7200 Spinpoint F3

Heres the inside.


Jesus christ, have some dignity and fix those cables man.

#44 Posted by clyde46 (46296 posts) -

Get a 780 next month or wait for the 780Ti?

#45 Posted by lostrib (37036 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Get a 780 next month or wait for the 780Ti?

what about the 290/290x?

#46 Posted by clyde46 (46296 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

Get a 780 next month or wait for the 780Ti?

what about the 290/290x?

I'm more of an Nvidia guy. Plus Nvidia works better at Folding At Home compared to AMD. My first two cards were from ATi though. The 4670 and the beastly 4870.

#47 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Get a 780 next month or wait for the 780Ti?

You won't get either.

#48 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Is Giovela/M3Boarders resorting back to talking about his plasma in every thread again?

#49 Edited by MonsieurX (30270 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

Get a 780 next month or wait for the 780Ti?

what about the 290/290x?

I'm more of an Nvidia guy. Plus Nvidia works better at Folding At Home compared to AMD. My first two cards were from ATi though. The 4670 and the beastly 4870.

*Beastly 4890

@GioVela2010 said:

@clyde46 said:

Get a 780 next month or wait for the 780Ti?

You won't get either.

Will you?

#50 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Don't really know the exact figure I spent on my current gaming PC as I'm upgrading often, without replacing the entire machine and starting from scratch.

Important specs are:

I7 2600K @ 4.4 Ghz

Nvidia 670 GTX (OC'd)

8 GB RAM

1080p monitor

It outmatches the next gen consoles, and I have no regrets over being a PC gamer, it's been a worthwhile investment, as my rig sees quite a lot of use. Next upgrades I have in mind is a new graphics card, and a 1440p monitor.