PC Gamers: Steam vs GoG vs Origin vs Amazon DD

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#151 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Lol @ those 3 votes for Origin :lol:

aroxx_ab

I like origin better than steam. I've never had issues with offline mode on origin, I've had issues with offline mode on steam twice.

FashionFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 FashionFreak
Member since 2004 • 2326 Posts

Who cares whether it's Origin or Steam?  You get exactly the same product either way.  The only difference is in the preorder bonuses.  The game is a simple double-click on the desktop no matter where you buy it.

Hicks233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Hicks233
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts

Gog by far.

Haven't tried Amazon's service.

Steam and Origin are drm clients. Origin is bluntly obvious about that.

Steam and Valve as a whole are the group responsible for kicking off this whole online client based drm mess so I have the least fondness or patience for. All the laziness inducing auto-patching and modding portal for the even more lazy isn't going to change my opinion. When Valve start to release drm free then I'll be interested. As it stands they're simply saying - customers can't be trusted and need to be treated as though they are by default pirates. The opposite of gog.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@FGMPR said:

GreenMan Gaming deserves some kudos here. Being an Australian and having to deal with inflated prices, GMG often offers its games for half or even less off Steam prices, always delivers its keys in a prompt manner and even accepts digital trade in's for some of its games. It has its own client, which is a bad thing, but for buying steamworks games, its my number one store.

yeap add another one for greenmangaming ( especially for us not living in US ) though i dont see it as a negative having its own client especially when its optional to use. What i like most about greenmangaming are prices ( especially launch prices with coupons are way lower than steam ).

For me what i use more is Steam,greenmangaming ,Gog and gamersgate ( with that order )

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I like GoG because of the extra things you get with downloads there (OSTs, artwork, wallpapers, etc.) and because its DRM-free, but my largest catalog is by far Steam - mostly because it has more games and the sales (seasonal ones specially) are just nuts. Only games I buy at launch are indie ones - by waiting five or six months on a triple A title, I can get it for a fraction of its launch price. I got Deus Ex: HR a few months after launch for seven dollars, and Arkham City (GotY edition) for USD 5,00.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The vast majority of my games are on Steam, but I prefer using GOG and Amazon. I'd rather not have to use a client if at all possible. Origin is a distant 4th and Gamefly is at the back of the pack.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Gog > Amazon > Steam > Origin

1. Gog because no DRM

2. Amazon because no DRM of its own (possibly third-party DRM same as Steam) and prices are better

3. They seem to support the PC community, but Steam itself is a DRM, on top of which devs can put their own DRM, the prices are quite high outside of sales

4. Origin is EA aka greedy scum, I only buy here as a last resort if it's not available anywhere else

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

You should have put GMG in place of GoG or add it on the title

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

you forgot GMG. But i would say i like steam and Amazon the most, but GMG also has great deals. I don't care much for origin. but most of the games i buy, i do look for ones that activate on steam

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

I prefer Steam, but with the emergence of every company and every website making an online store, I fear the best part of Steam (sales) has hit the law of diminishing returns. Particularly with the consoles pushing digital store fronts, it will now be on the gatekeepers to draw companies to their service to offer sales/deals, not the other way around like it has been for the past four years.

snugenz_irl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 snugenz_irl
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts

Steam for me, with GMG in second place. Amazon DD is great but as a non-U.S citizen it takes some trickery to use Amazon DD.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#162  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11245 Posts

GOG has an amazing catalogue of old school games at a low price. Gotta love that. But then again Steam has loads of -75% sales of relevant games. So its mostly Steam that gets used, mostly.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#163 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Steam is easily the winner here. Origin is and has been terrible for years, GoG is great but lacking in selection, and Amazon is great if they're just passing you Steam keys, otherwise I typically avoid it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Steam but I can get some cracking deals from GmG on Steam titles.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#165  Edited By Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Man this thread is old but I can see why it came back it was bumped by a user that has only two posts.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#166  Edited By bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

I dislike Steam because of all the auto downloading gigabytes of crap that I don't want.

Gog if I can help it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#167 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The f*ck, guys?

snugenz_irl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 snugenz_irl
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts

@bad_fur_day said:

I dislike Steam because of all the auto downloading gigabytes of crap that I don't want.

Gog if I can help it.

You can disable auto-updating for your games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I buy my games where I can get the best deals. Mostly that's on Greenmangaming and in retail stores. I also buy a lot of stuff during steam sales and in humble bundles.

I never had a single issue with steam. I've been using it since the service has been around. I got day of defeat for free when I entered my Half-Life CD Key back in 2003 and I was addicted to the service ever since.

DRM always leaves a bad taste in gamers mouths, but if Steam is DRM than I have absolutely no problem with it.

On the other hand we have Origin, with which I've had a ton of problems. If it weren't for EA games, I would not have that software on my computer.

Never bought something from GOG, I already own lots of those older games on CD or DVD so I don't see the point. Tried buying something once from Amazon, but it didn't have Paypal for some reason so I couldn't. I find it stupid that they expect me to have a credit card so as long as they don't accept Paypal, I can't buy anything from there.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#170 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

Steam + Amazon DD + Green Man Gaming is a winning formula.

I'll jump on whichever site/distributor has the best price though.

This right here. You get the combo of Steam's fantastic platform with 2 of the best discounters of new/current games. Pure win.

I do like COG's attitude towards it's customer base and I think Origin is completely....adequate. I will shop at any of them if the price is right.

The best thing is to use all of them, but good timing will always yield the best results.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Whoever wins, consoles lose

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

If you had put GreenManGaming as an option, that would easily win in the Sales department. Steam wins everything overall though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@bad_fur_day said:

Gog if I can help it.

you dislike having your games up to date?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Steam by far, and I love amazon as well since they just send me a steam key most of the time. I don't use GoG because they don't really carry new games, just old stuff I already have. I use origin for Battlefield and ME3, because I have to...plus a few other games on there that I actually got for free thanks to Amazon.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Never purchased anything outside Steam. Didn't have the need to.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@lostrib said:

@bad_fur_day said:

Gog if I can help it.

you dislike having your games up to date?

Also, he dislikes a feature you can turn off very easily.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#177  Edited By cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Amazon has the best deals. I rarely buy anything from steam, only bought stuff recently because I was selling the silly trading cards that everyone forgot about 2 weeks after they released them.

I actually prefer origin over steam as well. I've never had any issue with playing games offline with origin, I haven't been able to play steam games after moving until I got internet twice now.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#178 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Greemangaming, since they don't try to rip off Oceanic players. However, greenmangaming usually sells Steam codes anyway.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@GhoX said:

Greemangaming, since they don't try to rip off Oceanic players. However, greenmangaming usually sells Steam codes anyway.

oh my god i can't believe you're in New Zealand too.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

PSN+ and the PS Market > Steam> Everything else >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XBL marketplace.

akimbo_atato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 akimbo_atato
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

@senses_fail_06: I sense fail in this point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#182 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Steam is the future or gaming and Valve is a company everyone should get behind.