PC gamers official best pc games ever.

• 50 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

My friends, upon clicking "pc gaming" randomly into google news today, to determine how well pc gaming is doing, I was shocked, not just emotionally but physically due to the shudder induced. Having clicked the link thinking "oh well, Planscape Torement obviously" 6 of the top 10 being console ports. Two of them of them barely working! After calming down, I decided to seek the solace of your much needed and incredibly well respected opinions.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/30/the-pc-gamer-top-100/11/

10. Dark Souls

9. Portal

8. Mass Effect 3

7. Team Fortress 2

6. Xcom: Enemy Unknown

5. Bioshock

4. Dues Ex

3. Halflife 2

2. Skyrim

1. Mass Effect 2

Should pc gamer only include games, specifically, primarily built for pc hardware, or is it fine if games ported over from console developed hardware are declared the best games the pc has ever seen? Should a distinction be made at all?

Is Mass Effect, actually the greatest series humanity has ever known?

#2 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -

i guess if you can execute it on PC without the need for an emulator, it meets their inclusion criteria.

but at the same time, mass effect 2 as number one. i quite liked mass effect 2 but come on.

and im gunna get plane's cape tourment. one day.

#3 Edited by Blabadon (25951 posts) -

lol

#4 Posted by m3dude1 (1174 posts) -

dont agree with a single game on that list

#5 Edited by Evo_nine (1648 posts) -

Its like saying should you include

Yes yes and yes.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yes yes and yes.

This was rhetorical and mocking my friend.

It's understanding for one such as I, that the mainstream would opt for Mass Effect, it's on multiple systems, a highly simplstic, accessible and modern video game title.

Very much incredibly similar in metaphor to OJ Simpson driving down the highway and people cheered him on. A sick culture we live in.

#7 Posted by WallofTruth (1548 posts) -

Lol Mass Effect and Skyrim, who made that list? Probably not a self respecting PC gamer.

#8 Edited by Basinboy (11059 posts) -

Not only does no Mass Effect game deserve to be anywhere on that list, the list contains 2.

#9 Posted by madsnakehhh (14179 posts) -

Lol, i'm a mediocre PC gamer and even i know that list sucks beyond believe, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2, in other words, The Orange Box, but that would leave us with more spots to fill with multiplats...i mean, seriously ? no Starcraft ? sure, not the best, but one of the most important games PC had in the 90's, next to games like Planescape Torment, System Shock 2, Monkey Island, Diablo 2, etc? instead you have Mass Effect 2 and 3, Bioshock, Dark Souls, Enemy Unknow and freaking Skyrim??? fuck, i'm actually surprised they didn't put Halo 2, GEOW, Assasin's Creed or League of Legends.

#10 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -

PC Gamer have become a shitty website . I don't care what they say anymore . As usual , they have placed some console games on the list that shouldn't have been there .

#11 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7353 posts) -

Lol, i'm a mediocre PC gamer and even i know that list sucks beyond believe, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2, in other words, The Orange Box, but that would leave us with more spots to fill with multiplats...i mean, seriously ? no Starcraft ? sure, not the best, but one of the most important games PC had in the 90's, next to games like Planescape Torment, System Shock 2, Monkey Island, Diablo 2, etc? instead you have Mass Effect 2 and 3, Bioshock, Dark Souls, Enemy Unknow and freaking Skyrim??? fuck, i'm actually surprised they didn't put Halo 2, GEOW, Assasin's Creed or League of Legends.

No starcraft indeed and d2... I think portal should be out too since is too short to be given that praise and I'm mean SHORT! Tf2 and hl2 are enough to be standalones from OB. I think is okay to have multiplats, but only if PC version has enough distinction and perks from the consoles.

Ew Mass effect lol. I'll give them Skyrim if it was further down, the mods are pretty extensive and that is kind of what pc gaming is about, but even then. No CS either I'm sad.

I'll just wait for jiggly to post quake.

#12 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -

That list is worse than the pisspoor lists that failGN manages to make every other day.

And this is coming from a guy who played 150 hours of ME2.

#13 Posted by Gamerno6666 (532 posts) -

This whole list sucks.

#14 Edited by m3dude1 (1174 posts) -

starcraft:brood war

ut2k4

quake 3

bf3

#15 Posted by PapaTrop (501 posts) -

There was a reason I stopped subscribing to them a long time ago, and there have been many reasons since that point that have made me happy to still be unsubscribed.

#16 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -
@funsohng said:

That list is worse than the pisspoor lists that failGN manages to make every other day.

And this is coming from a guy who played 150 hours of ME2.

Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game from last gen and even I know that it is not best PC game . Not even close .

#17 Posted by gamecubepad (6098 posts) -

Funny list. No id games at all? Commander keen, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake. No StarCraft or Warcraft. SC2000, Baldurs Gate, UT99. Any top 10 not including NOLF is pretty shit anyway.

#18 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

What a terrible list. That site has become a joke..

#19 Edited by Evo_nine (1648 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Evo_nine said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yes yes and yes.

This was rhetorical and mocking my friend.

It's understanding for one such as I, that the mainstream would opt for Mass Effect, it's on multiple systems, a highly simplstic, accessible and modern video game title.

Very much incredibly similar in metaphor to OJ Simpson driving down the highway and people cheered him on. A sick culture we live in.

be that as it may, its still the best series out there and it looks like a lot of other gamers agree with me.

#20 Edited by heguain (566 posts) -

PC Gamer have become a shitty website . I don't care what they say anymore . As usual , they have placed some console games on the list that shouldn't have been there .

Agreed it's a shitty embarrassing list. But at least ME2 and HL2 got what they deserved :D
Witcher 2, MP2, BG2, AC2, Chaos theory ones etc etc made me creep out. And look Fifa made the list -_-

#21 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24919 posts) -

I don't think Mass Effect 2 should be Number 1.

#22 Posted by gameofthering (10138 posts) -

Terrible list!

#23 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -

@heguain said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Agreed it's a shitty embarrassing list. But at least ME2 and HL2 got what they deserved :D

Witcher 2, MP2, BG2, AC2, Chaos theory ones etc etc made me creep out. And look Fifa made the list -_-

ME 2 shouldn't be in this list . It is great game but it is not a PC game . Instead , they should've included Witcher or Dragon Age : Origins in top ten . Look at that broken POS port aka Dark Souls at number 10 . This sounds like a console gamer instead of PCGamer.com .

#24 Posted by GamingElite021 (25 posts) -

Console gamers list? why they call themselve PC gamers?

#25 Posted by KungfuKitten (20864 posts) -

No no no no no no no no no no

#26 Posted by intotheminx (597 posts) -

I wont lie. Portal, TF2, Half Life 2, and Dues Ex are some of my favorite games. I would probably include them on the list, but everything else is a joke imo. ME2 was a great console game, not a great PC game....and they have two on that list lol. I'm currently playing Skyrim and I'm loving it so far, but I also have mods that are improving my experience. Skyrim has some of the best mods I've seen and could make a top 10 mod list, but a best game list lol..no. I'm technically not even playing the core game it's so vastly different.

#27 Posted by parkurtommo (26510 posts) -

What a terrible list.

#28 Posted by MBirdy88 (7729 posts) -

PC Gamer went downhill years ago... that list is terrible.

#29 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1395 posts) -

Bioshock but not System Shock 2?

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, but not Dragon Age Origins, Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter Nights?

Bad list is bad

#30 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -

Bioshock but not System Shock 2?

Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, but not Dragon Age Origins, Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter Nights?

Bad list is bad

This ^^

This guy knows what's up . You have very good taste in video games my friend .

#31 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2423 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

dont agree with a single game on that list

#32 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6967 posts) -

LOL what a crappy list.

#33 Posted by Priapus10101 (77 posts) -

So many mediocre multiplatform games on that list, I thought I was on IGN for a moment there. Matter of fact, that list is arguably much worse than IGN's recent top PC games list.

The lack of timeless classic and iconic PC games also makes me think there was a criteria to omit these older games.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (29553 posts) -

Terrible list

#35 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

All great games but no Diablo 2? No System Shock 2? No CS or Quake represented? NO Cid Meyer representation? NO ONI?(I love ONI lol, Bungie fan for life)

#36 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (279 posts) -

Everyone's list would likely differ. It's an opinion article, like every other "best" or "worst" list including everything in between. It's their list of the top 100 and your list may differ obviously. Go work for PCGamer or write crazy emails to the guys that wrote it up. Better yet make your own website with your own list so other forum goers can bash your site all to hell.

Why do you guys take this stuff so seriously? WTF is wrong with you?

#37 Posted by Assassin_87 (2310 posts) -

The original Unreal should be on that list, as should Ultima VII and Baldur's Gate 2. Also, where is the RTS love?

List sucks.

#38 Posted by dakan45 (18555 posts) -

Dark souls is not a pc game, any game needing a controller to do jump stab attacks is not a pc gamer. Also why is kingpin in this list?

Here is a better list, not mine but more agreeable to all of us

1.Deus ex

2.Half life or 1-2

3.diablo 1-2

4.system shock 2

5.quake 3

6. doom or 2

7.Command and conquer

8. Fallout 1-2

9.duke nukem

10.counter strike

11.wow

12. dota 1-2

13. bf2 (dont whine its that low, put it wherever you want it just came up on my mind late_

14.minecraft

15. unreal tournament

16.stalker

17.fear

18. portal

19.sims

20.l4d

#39 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

This whole list sucks.

The whole Thread sucks for that matter.

#40 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6967 posts) -

@Gamerno6666 said:

This whole list sucks.

Show me an uninspiredcup thread that doesn't suck.

#41 Posted by Gamerno6666 (532 posts) -

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

This whole list sucks.

His threads in OT are ok. Except the "my friends" part.

#42 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6967 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

This whole list sucks.

His threads in OT are ok. Except the "my friends" part.

We're his enemies, not his friends. lol

#43 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

I agree with the top two games except ME1 shouldn't be number 1,the list is missing games like

• Warcraft 3
  • Diablo 2
  • System Shock 2
  • Planescape Torment
  • WoW (might be shyt now but vanilla was amazing)
  • STALKER CoP
  • Minecraft
  • DayZ (both versions)
  • Left 4 Dead 1 or 2
  • FF14 ARR
  • FF11
  • Starcraft 1
  • Starcraft 2

Plus many more

#44 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3830 posts) -

"Some" console games? More like 80% console games. Almost every game there I can play on 360.

#45 Edited by glez13 (8676 posts) -

Well, at least it's crystal clear that they love Mass Effect...

Also I don't get the mentality some people have with such lists by saying that they should be filled with exclusives. If a game is good it's good.

#46 Posted by edwardecl (2121 posts) -

All of those games on that list are multi-plats...

#47 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

"Some" console games? More like 80% console games. Almost every game there I can play on 360.

This list wasn't supposed to be about PC exclusives but PC games (Both PC centric Multiplats + Exclusives) . For example , Dark Souls shouldn't have been there . That may be a great title but as a PC game it was terrible . It was a bad port and primarily designed for consoles . They should've replaced it with Witcher or Dragon Age : Origins .

They made exact same mistake with other games there as well . Classics like Half Life 1 , Planescape Torment , Starcraft , Warcraft , Freelancer etc etc etc are completely missing (even Crysis isn't there) . Those were the games that defined PC gaming . They just ignored all of them and just listed some recent games from last ten years .

#48 Posted by speedfog (3045 posts) -
#49 Edited by Gamerno6666 (532 posts) -

This list wasn't supposed to be about PC exclusives but PC games (Both PC centric Multiplats + Exclusives) . For example , Dark Souls shouldn't have been there . That may be a great title but as a PC game it was terrible . It was a bad port and primarily designed for consoles . They should've replaced it with Witcher or Dragon Age : Origins .

They made exact same mistake with other games there as well . Classics like Half Life 1 , Planescape Torment , Starcraft , Warcraft , Freelancer etc etc etc are completely missing (even Crysis isn't there) . Those were the games that defined PC gaming . They just ignored all of them and just listed some recent games from last ten years .

Its a top 100 list. Not top 10. But the last ten is just terrible.

#50 Edited by SambaLele (5193 posts) -

I guess there must some kind of special sales of those games to go along with the article... because that list doesn't make any sense other than PR.