PC CONSOLE graphical dispute has got to end.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

Can we already end this graphical war between consoles and pcs and come to a consensus?

battlefield 4 on ps4 @1080p doesnt look a million times worse than pc version @1080p.

we keep comparing gifs and images but the thing is, the differences are quite minor to keep fighting about. Its not day and night difference.

Now, if you are playing battlefield 4 @2160p on pc then ofc. the difference is major. the amount of detail is incredible.

so, what am trying to say is. if you are a pc gamer and you game @1080p, then there is nothing to discuss. Unless you enjoy discussing marginal differences.

ps. I tested diablo 3 and battlefield 4 @2160p. (battlefield 4 though had a very choppy frame rate, so i decreased the resolution). and why i included ps4, is because i own battlefield 4 for ps4. so i did a little test.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@planbfreak4eva said:

Can we already end this graphical war between consoles and pcs and come to a consensus?

battlefield 4 on ps4 @1080p doesnt look a million times worse than pc version @1080p.

we keep comparing gifs and images but the thing is, the differences are quite minor to keep fighting about. Its not day and night difference.

Now, if you are playing battlefield 4 @2160p on pc then ofc. the difference is major. the amount of detail is incredible.

so, what am trying to say is. if you are a pc gamer and you game @1080p, then there is nothing to discuss. Unless you enjoy discussing marginal differences.

ps. I tested diablo 3 and battlefield 4 @2160p. (battlefield 4 though had a very choppy frame rate, so i decreased the resolution). and why i included ps4, is because i own battlefield 4 for ps4. so i did a little test.

Well for starters BF4 doesn't run at 1080p on PS4

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

BF4 on consoles does not run at 1080p.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 planbfreak4eva

@lostrib said:

well 900p then. you telling me you can see so much difference between the 2?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib

@planbfreak4eva said:

@lostrib said:

well 900p then. you telling me you can see so much difference between the 2?

in a direct comparison of screenshots? they look different

But I would never choose to play a FPS on console so it doesn't matter to me. I don't play on PC just because it has better graphics

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 planbfreak4eva

@lostrib: do you game with screenshots or on an actual display? you wont see a difference between the the pc or ps4 version unless you put 2 identical tvs and look at both. hence why i said pc looks marginally better.

that is good to know. but in this thread we are or i am, talking just the graphics. we are not talking keyboards, dualshocks, windows and what not.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

What war?, war would suggest that the consoles had a chance to win, which they don't.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@planbfreak4eva said:

@lostrib: do you game with screenshots or on an actual display? you wont see a difference between the the pc or ps4 version unless you put 2 identical tvs and look at both. hence why i said pc looks marginally better.

that is good to know. but in this thread we are or i am, talking just the graphics. we are not talking keyboards, dualshocks, windows and what not.

can we talk about frame drops?

"The PS4 version clearly struggled though, and likewise, for fully saturated 64-player Conquest Large games what we get here is a frame-rate that falls far below 60fps"

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@planbfreak4eva: there is a huge difference between steady 60fps and 30-60fps. That alone let's me tell the difference instantly. Especially when I'm playing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

PC should probably have a hastily made referendum to see if console users want to become part of the masterrace.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

when 90% on this entire world has a high end pc sure, but 90% still has a low to mid range set-up that performs below ps4

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Put your PC res to 900 and then to 1080p. You see huge difference

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Have played almost exclusively PC games (multiplats) at 1080p the last couple of years. Atm I'm replaying God Of War 3 (a four year old console game running on seven year old hardware at 720p) and its visuals still blow me away. Funny how that works.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NFJSupreme

Also the reason why most games and genres are better on pc has nothing to do with graphics. It's performance and controls. Fps is superior on pc because you get 60fps steady with no major dips in the 30s or worse with consoles. Fps in pc also has superior controls. I grew up on console shooters so I'm very good with the game pad but once you get used to mouse and keyboard you don't want to go back to a game pad. The graphics are only a secondary reason. Even if the graphics were the same, and they aren't, pc would still be better because of performance and controls.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NFJSupreme

@FreedomFreeLife: in bf4 there isn't much of a difference between ultra at 1080p and ultra at 900p. The thing is though the ps4 isn't in ultra settings. Textures are ultra but not lighting or particle effects and it uses fxaa which degrades the image even further. It's why the xbone version looks brighter because it doesn't use any form of aa. But if the settings are the same it isn't a huge difference. But even with lower settings and 900p ps4 still can't maintain 60fps.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

PC is superior but not to the level hermits make it out to be.

@Sushiglutton said:

Have played almost exclusively PC games (multiplats) at 1080p the last couple of years. Atm I'm replaying God Of War 3 (a four year old console game running on seven year old hardware at 720p) and its visuals still blow me away. Funny how that works.

Yeah last gen consoles games still hold up very well. I played Gears of War Judgement after finishing Killzone SF and was absolutely stunned by GoW J graphics.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FreedomFreeLife

PLAYSTATION 4 VERSION:

PC VERSION:
PC VERSION:

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PLAYSTATION 4 VERSION:

PC VERSION:
PC VERSION:

and X1 version would be even worst

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FreedomFreeLife

@NFJSupreme said:

@FreedomFreeLife: in bf4 there isn't much of a difference between ultra at 1080p and ultra at 900p. The thing is though the ps4 isn't in ultra settings. Textures are ultra but not lighting or particle effects and it uses fxaa which degrades the image even further. It's why the xbone version looks brighter because it doesn't use any form of aa. But if the settings are the same it isn't a huge difference. But even with lower settings and 900p ps4 still can't maintain 60fps.

not that but there is no AA in PS4 version at all. Also blurry.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FreedomFreeLife

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PLAYSTATION 4 VERSION:

PC VERSION:
PC VERSION:

I don´t care about X1 version because im playing on PC and higher than 1080p.

FPS is for PC

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MonsieurX said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PLAYSTATION 4 VERSION:

PC VERSION:
PC VERSION:

I don´t care about X1 version because im playing on PC and higher than 1080p.

FPS is for PC

And X1 for nothing,thanks.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@planbfreak4eva: I was very impressed with the PS4 version. And to be honest you don't really have time to stare at the insects when your trying to avoid being killed. PS4 can really push some resolutions in my opinion. The framerate actually held up pretty good but I wasn't really running through per say. I would say PS4 held up to my expectations. Now Xbone on the other hand doesn't have the power to push those resolutions without framerate taking a hit. Even in some PC games with everything turned up you notice resolutions suffer on some textures. I would say BF4 had better resolutions than Killzone Shadowfall. It's fun to play either way.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Harisemo

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PLAYSTATION 4 VERSION:

PC VERSION:
PC VERSION:

They look similar

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts
@Snugenz said:

What war?, war would suggest that the consoles had a chance to win, which they don't.

This. SubHD/720p/900p @sub 30FPS in 2014, pathetic.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Even if the PS4 had a chance, you can't really say theres a war since in 2 or 3 years, the gap will be huge again.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

There isn't a war. A pc is better in every considerable way.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@Snugenz said:

a war in like a war between a superpower and a nation that uses spears and bows.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@planbfreak4eva said:

I stopped reading right there. PC isn't locked at 1080p and can display at higher resolutions.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

The difference between battlefield 4 on PS4 and PC isn't resolution or frame rate. PC wins there, but only folks who get into peeing contests care. (Though I would like to point out that PS gamers seem to think 900p is horrible when a game runs at that resolution on the xbox...) The difference is having a game that caters to realism with things like bullet drop and the like, but when you play it on the console god comes down and aims your gun for you because the sticks are too imprecise to line up a shot on a moving target without divine intervention.

There is also the fact that yes, the very first battlefield game on PS4 does have 64 players. In Battlefield 5 or 6 on the PC that number will stay the same or increase. Since the PS4's hardware is already struggling with 64 players at decreased resolution however, it is a safe bet that on consoles that number will not increase this generation, and is instead extremely likely to fall. Sort of like Battlefield 3.

Finally, in 3 years if I spend the cost of a couple of years worth of multiplayer on the PS4 I can upgrade the GPU in my PC to something that will blow the PS4 out of the water. On the PC you have to pay a couple hundred dollars four years if you want an awesome upgrade for the graphics. On the PS4 you have to spend that upgrading the console to online mode.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Harisemo

@kittennose said:

The difference between battlefield 4 on PS4 and PC isn't resolution or frame rate. PC wins there, but only folks who get into peeing contests care. (Though I would like to point out that PS gamers seem to think 900p is horrible when a game runs at that resolution on the xbox...) The difference is having a game that caters to realism with things like bullet drop and the like, but when you play it on the console god comes down and aims your gun for you because the sticks are too imprecise to line up a shot on a moving target without divine intervention.

There is also the fact that yes, the very first battlefield game on PS4 does have 64 players. In Battlefield 5 or 6 on the PC that number will stay the same or increase. Since the PS4's hardware is already struggling with 64 players at decreased resolution however, it is a safe bet that on consoles that number will not increase this generation, and is instead extremely likely to fall. Sort of like Battlefield 3.

Finally, in 3 years if I spend the cost of a couple of years worth of multiplayer on the PS4 I can upgrade the GPU in my PC to something that will blow the PS4 out of the water. On the PC you have to pay a couple hundred dollars four years if you want an awesome upgrade for the graphics. On the PS4 you have to spend that upgrading the console to online mode.

lol console versions also have bullet drop and auto aim doesn't help with that. With Battlefield 5 and 6 Frostbite 3 will be better optimised for consoles so expect player count to remain the same with possibly better framerates and higher res.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NFJSupreme

@Harisemo said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

PLAYSTATION 4 VERSION:

PC VERSION:
PC VERSION:

They look similar

They look similar at first glance it does. At second glance no. Look at the guns. Look at the grass. Look at the water. It would be even more pronounced in motion because PC is 60fps even during massive explosions and action on the screen that PS4 usually slows down on. Definitely looks better on PC. That doesn't say the PS4 is unplayable or anything. It's just not the optimal version.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

in bf4 the only real difference between pc and ps4 is resolution and AA. both versions look very similar. playing a game at higher res or w/ aa doesnt equate to a big difference. when you look at ryse/killzone/infamous and other system exclusives tho, they take a big fat shit on any pc game available graphically.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

PC should probably have a hastily made referendum to see if console users want to become part of the masterrace.

I certainly do, I had an awesome FPS PC game back in early 2000 but it was a mech game. Game had lobbys, mods, great community. Sad thing is I know there will never be a game like that on consoles, so I'll build a rig by May 31st to be ready to play WildStar. Budget is $1500 any ideas on how to start? I've looked up a ton of stuff and videos but honestly I'm still a bit lost. Hopefully once I get started I'll be more motivated to finish.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@planbfreak4eva said:

Plenty of the master race games in 1440p now.. So I guess there still is plenty to discuss

Thread Fail

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Harisemo

@NFJSupreme said:

@Harisemo said:

They look similar

They look similar at first glance it does. At second glance no. Look at the guns. Look at the grass. Look at the water. It would be even more pronounced in motion because PC is 60fps even during massive explosions and action on the screen that PS4 usually slows down on. Definitely looks better on PC. That doesn't say the PS4 is unplayable or anything. It's just not the optimal version.

PS4/Xbone/PC use same maxed out textures, grass and water. PC, depending on your rig, only leads with higher res, fps, draw distance and some minor effects. Overall they're pretty close.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@planbfreak4eva said:

And what happens when games on PS4 and Xbox 1 start seriously look like crap in contrast to PC games? What, we should suddenly completely forget about the differences?

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

It will end when console owners stop trying to argue or think their games are graphically amazing...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@planbfreak4eva said:

And what happens when games on PS4 and Xbox 1 start seriously look like crap in contrast to PC games? What, we should suddenly completely forget about the differences?

pc games look like crap next to console exclusives right now. That wont change anytime soon either.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

This "debate" will never end. Hermits need to be able to justify their expensive rig while consolites don't want to admit they are inferior in graphics because then the hype threads all about graphics look plain silly.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Agreed. Herms really need to get off the graphics bandwagon. It hasn't helped nab them a goty exclusive for a decade, so just stop already. just stop.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

I don't get the fighting over graphical differences TBH....it's not like the PS4 doesn't have good graphics....and some people, like myself, prefer console gaming. Someone likes PC gaming....have fun. I'm not going to tell you not to game on PC. I did build a PC that can play games....but so far I haven't seen any must have game. Though I will say I got a 360 controller for the PC because I just don't like mouse and keyboard controls. And don't bother telling me it's better....it's NOT my preference.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

TC's argument was destroyed in the first 2 posts lol. Furthermore, the fact that debate exists between the X1 graphics and PS4 graphics, yet TC wants us to stop the PC vs consoles debate, is rather ludicrous.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic  Online

@lundy86_4 said:

TC's argument was destroyed in the first 2 posts lol. Furthermore, the fact that debate exists between the X1 graphics and PS4 graphics, yet TC wants us to stop the PC vs consoles debate, is rather ludicrous.

I think most of the X1 and PS4 graphic arguments come down to price tag. The X1 costs more. A PC can be updated to much more graphical power....especially the further we go ahead in time to the PS4. But not all PCs will have better graphics...so it's not an automatic all PCs are better argument. I'd imagine some people here that use that argument probably aren't on high end PCs anyway. A console that costs less can be forgiven for having less. But more? Well you see the problem.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NFJSupreme

@Harisemo said:

@NFJSupreme said:

@Harisemo said:

They look similar

PS4/Xbone/PC use same maxed out textures, grass and water. PC, depending on your rig, only leads with higher res, fps, draw distance and some minor effects. Overall they're pretty close.

there are more graphical settings than textures...

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

PC has better gfx and performance....there was never a "dispute".

This can vary from small to major.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

There are noticeable differences already ( albeit small ones ). Imagine with the kind of hardware pc's will have in 2-3 years how big the differences will be. Also having the option to play at 60fps is always great

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic  Online

@-God- said:

PC has better gfx and performance....there was never a "dispute".

This can vary from small to major.

Only if the graphics are updated and a higher end card. Not all PCs have that...even for those who game.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@clyde46 said:

BF4 on consoles does not run at 1080p.

BF4 on most PCs does not run at 1080p....... In fact in most cases BF4 just doesn't run period.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Harisemo

@NFJSupreme said:

@Harisemo said:

there are more graphical settings than textures...

Yes, BF4 on PS4/Xbone is mostly maxed out PC settings.