paying for a game to be exclusive makes no sense

This topic is locked from further discussion.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

Unless it's a heavy hitter like call of duty or grand theft auto......if those was ACTUALLY exclusives and not timed exclusives......that would make this real interesting. Remember a huge reason why the ps2 sold so much was because of grand theft auto. Rockstar eventually dropped it on xbox but still......those games never sold as much as it did on ps2.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Creating a new exclusive from the ground up would probably cost less than buying exclusive rights to GTA or COD.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It is bad for gamers. On other hand one may see it profitable by signing a deal with console makers but I think sometimes it hurts you in the long run because you are disappointing your community that made you successful in the first place. Valve games sell like hot cakes because they've made a loyal fanbase, by treating them well for the last couple of years. There is always an easy way out (by taking money from Sony or M$ and making games exclusive to their consoles) but this hurts devs later down the road when there is no one to support them financially (except gamers who vote with their wallets). That's my theory.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

No one would buy a Wii U if it didn't have exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

No one would buy a Wii U if it didn't have exclusives.

Exactly. Competition should be among games and game developers. Not large toy manufacturers and their toys.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 youngmurk911

@JangoWuzHere: real talk

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It's probably cheaper and gets them a decent return. I'm sure the finance department at these multi bilion dollar companies have run the numbers

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
@JangoWuzHere said:

No one would buy a Wii U if it didn't have Mario and zelda

Fixed

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

Creating a new exclusive from the ground up would probably cost less than buying exclusive rights to GTA or COD.

Yeah but a new exclusive doesnt have to be good and sell well like a GTA game:P

Dswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Dswiss
Member since 2005 • 104 Posts

Are you referring to the case of SSV? Because I totally agree

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Technically no one has really bought out a multiplat game for an exclusive which has only just come to light.

Tomb Raider even I was up in arms about that, but it seems a little more complex than just buying the exclusive rights to the game, seems like Microsoft coughed up money for them as well to produce it, which pretty much means the first Tomb Raider (the remake) didn't make them enough money to produce it themselves and sell it multiplat and Microsoft jumped in to publish the game.

Same with Street Fighter 5, it may never of seen the light of day, if Sony hadn't of come in and decided to cough up money to produce the game in conjunction with Capcom.

But of course it makes sense, the only reason we have a system wars and a console rivalry is all about the exclusives, if we didn't have exclusives then there would be no reason to buy a certain console, which means a loss of money for everyone around, I never bought a PS4 just on the merit that it was the better console, I just know from history that Sony make great exclusives on there platform where you cannot get anywhere else and there the type of games I like.

Just like how a Microsoft Fan buys a Xbox One because they have history and like the exclusives they know they will enjoy them once they decide to show up.

GTA was never exclusive to Playstation they were on PC as well, it just so happened that the PS2 had absolutely no Rivalry when it came out for those types of games and grew on that basis it took a year or 2 before we even saw an Xbox and that was a very new console.

Exclusives matter and it really does make sense to buy exclusives.

What should never happen is a well built franchise which has always been a multiplat should never be taken/bought for exclusive purposes.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#12 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I think exclusives are incredibly important for the video game market. When all is said and done people buy a console for simply one game.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Console makers need exclusives to make their console stand out. Buying out exclusives is also nothing new. Look at Halo. It was supposed to be Mac and PC right up to the verge of release and then, "Poof!" Total blackout.

The next thing send shockwaves when Bungie released a statement saying they're with MS (XBox) only from that point on.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By youngmurk911

@Dswiss: yes I am

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#15 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

sometimes it makes people buy a console. I admit that i did buy a ps2 to be able to play FF10 back when it came out.