Path of Exile = PC GOTY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

Just checked and saw that Path of Exile won PC GOTY. Well deserved.

Let's see... it's free, has a devilishly downcast atmosphere, and a very broad skill tree. The game Diablo 3 couldn't be? Am I wrong for saying that? Nope. I would have chosen Dota 2 myself, but Path is more than worthy! It has been an insanely good year for the PC indie scene.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the top contenders for Game of the Year are:

• The Last of Us (who woulda thunk it, LMAO)
    • Path of Exile (sweet, dark, deep, and free... mmm)
    • Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo just keeps shelling out that platformer heat)

What do y'all think?

#2 Posted by Snugenz (11854 posts) -

PoE is how you do a F2P game, really, other's need to take serious note of what GGG have done here.

#3 Posted by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

PoE is how you do a F2P game, really, other's need to take serious note of what GGG have done here.

For real. I think Path, along with the likes of Dota 2, are ushering a new age of gaming. F2P has been around for a minute, but not until this year has it been such a viable gaming option for me. I sincerely hope other developers take note. I also hope those who are passionate in pursuing ambitious F2P titles are successful.

#4 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2579 posts) -

Seriously? Man GS fails completely this year.

#5 Edited by Snugenz (11854 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

For real. I think Path, along with the likes of Dota 2, are ushering a new age of gaming. F2P has been around for a minute, but not until this year has it been such a viable gaming option for me. I sincerely hope other developers take note. I also hope those who are passionate in pursuing ambitious F2P titles are successful.

Oh definitely, so much so that i'll happily buy something i don't really need in games that are doing it right just to support the devs.

#6 Edited by sailor232 (4590 posts) -

It's a great game, I haven;t played it much but what I have played I have loved.

#7 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10499 posts) -

Never even heard of it

#8 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8721 posts) -

Well deserved, it's a fantastic game. Crazy to think that it's F2P.

#9 Posted by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

Well deserved,best action RPG in a long time and what would be the proper sequel to Diablo 2.

#10 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Of course PC would get an exclusive as GOTY, while the consoles got multiplats as their GOTY's. lmfao TPHBFO

#11 Edited by MBirdy88 (8055 posts) -

Poor consolites, thinking they won a battle by getting Diablo III .... meanwhile the REAL diablo successor came out exclusively and free2play.

#12 Posted by dommeus (9270 posts) -

Tried it. and didn't like the MMO nature of it really. When you have 10-12 people all waiting to receive an 'urgent' quest from an NCP, it just really takes me out of the experience.

#13 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4639 posts) -

@dommeus said:

Tried it. and didn't like the MMO nature of it really. When you have 10-12 people all waiting to receive an 'urgent' quest from an NCP, it just really takes me out of the experience.

Eh... what ? Do you wait for other people finish talking to a quest dealer ? Why ?

#14 Edited by dommeus (9270 posts) -

@dommeus said:

Eh... what ? Do you wait for other people finish talking to a quest dealer ? Why ?

In the towns (or at least, the first town you come to), you have a number of low-level clones running/standing around listening to NPC's and getting missions. It is the same with most MMO's I have played, whereby you don't feel like you are the ONLY one making a difference, and there are just as many people lining up to take out the evil witch-queen or whatever to save the village.

It is these kind of events that take me out of the experience, and one of the primary reasons I avoid multiplayer gaming. That is all. If the game was just me in the world, much like the SP Diablo's and Titan Quest, then I would likely continue with the game.

#15 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@dommeus said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@dommeus said:

In the towns (or at least, the first town you come to), you have a number of low-level clones running/standing around listening to NPC's and getting missions. It is the same with most MMO's I have played, whereby you don't feel like you are the ONLY one making a difference, and there are just as many people lining up to take out the evil witch-queen or whatever to save the village.

It is these kind of events that take me out of the experience, and one of the primary reasons I avoid multiplayer gaming. That is all. If the game was just me in the world, much like the SP Diablo's and Titan Quest, then I would likely continue with the game.

That's a very stupid thing to complain about. That's like complaining that a game has too many people to play with. Who dafuk wants to play dungeon crawlers completely solo anyway? Go play torchlight 1 noob

#16 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Look at that red bar. Herms are in apocalypse mode. Guess it's back to panhandling for console game ports.

#17 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

PoE is good mostly because it's free. I still play it off and on but it gets boring quickly.... just less quickly than Diablo 3.

#18 Edited by stuff238 (618 posts) -

Wow....another dumb/boring hack and slash MMO for hermits. All you guys ever talk about is how great you are, yet all you play is RTS and MMO's.....which are terribly boring. Do you guys have A.D.D or something? How can you possibly find those games fun? Hermits.....once again on the path to exile.....go back to your basements!

#19 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Haven't played it myself but I've heard nothing but endless praise though.

People saying "it's what Diablo III should have been" is a pretty big thing to say considering how well received Diablo II was

#20 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27546 posts) -

I've heard nothing but good things about it ... really going to have to try it out ....

#21 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27546 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

Wow....another dumb/boring hack and slash MMO for hermits. All you guys ever talk about is how great you are, yet all you play is RTS and MMO's.....which are terribly boring. Do you guys have A.D.D or something? How can you possibly find those games fun? Hermits.....once again on the path to exile.....go back to your basements!

Congrats on being wrong about everything in your post, thats a rare rare feat to get absolutely nothing right!

PC has the widest range of games and genres. I should do another pie chart showing the breakdown of games per platform.

Path of Exile is neither an RTS or MMO, congrats on not understanding what either of those genres are or what PoE is.

#22 Edited by dommeus (9270 posts) -

@dommeus said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@dommeus said:

That's a very stupid thing to complain about. That's like complaining that a game has too many people to play with. Who dafuk wants to play dungeon crawlers completely solo anyway? Go play torchlight 1 noob

Standard internet overreaction. Perhaps you should just take some time to calm down. and maybe go outside and check out the fucking awesome graphics

#23 Posted by Heil68 (43993 posts) -

It's pretty fun, but I still prefer Diablo 3.

#25 Posted by Sushiglutton (5261 posts) -

Haven't played it, never will as it's not my type of game. Have no objection to it winning as those who like the genre seems to enjoy it.

#26 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5537 posts) -

Can't argue with a quality hack and slash getting PC game of the year.

#27 Posted by farrell2k (5858 posts) -

OK. Now it is completely obvious that GameSpot was desperately struggling to pick GOTY winners. This just confirms it.

#28 Edited by KKFF (53 posts) -

Was this really the best game that the PC could come up with this year? LOL

Just another nerd game like LoL/WoW/Dota it seems. Well, just another reason not to be a pc gamer I guess

#29 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@kkff said:

Was this really the best game PC came up with this year? LOL

Just another nerd game like LoL/WoW/Dota it seems. Another reason not to be a pc gamer it seems

I bet you think crap like CoD and Killzone are hardcore.

#30 Posted by Maroxad (8209 posts) -

I've heard nothing but good things about it ... really going to have to try it out ....

The animations are bad and it can get old rather fast when not playing with friends. There now you have heard bad things about it :P

I would recommend it, even more so if you have friends willing to play it with you.

#31 Posted by KKFF (53 posts) -

@kkff said:

Just another nerd game like LoL/WoW/Dota it seems. Another reason not to be a pc gamer it seems

No, but I sure do like TLOU. Sony/Naughty Dog definitely deserves this years GOTY award

#32 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27546 posts) -

@Maroxad said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

The animations are bad and it can get old rather fast when not playing with friends. There now you have heard bad things about it :P

I would recommend it, even more so if you have friends willing to play it with you.

Thanks! lol

#34 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@kkff said:

@Rage010101 said:

@kkff said:

No, but I sure do like TLOU. Sony/Naughty Dog definitely deserves this years GOTY award

Casual, just like I thought.

#35 Posted by IgGy621985 (4747 posts) -

Played it when it was still it beta. Didn't like it. But I just might try it again.

#36 Posted by Led_poison (10143 posts) -

Might try it, but not a fan of ARPGs

#37 Posted by jg4xchamp (47902 posts) -

Not a fan of Diablo like games, but good for it I guess.

Was a bigger fan of Antichamber

#38 Posted by lostrib (35891 posts) -

Did not expect that

#39 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

Path of Exile isn't an RTS or an MMO.

You should feel bad for how stupid that post is.

#40 Edited by KKFF (53 posts) -

@kkff said:

@Rage010101 said:

@kkff said:

95 on Metacritic for a reason. Atleast i'm not into those nerd games like you

#41 Edited by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@kkff said:

@Rage010101 said:

@kkff said:

@Rage010101 said:

@kkff said:

Said the dude on a forum for arguing with strangers about video games.

#42 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -

Bwahahahahahaha

#44 Posted by lostrib (35891 posts) -

@kkff said:

@Rage010101 said:

@kkff said:

@Rage010101 said:

@kkff said:

Said the dude on a forum for arguing with strangers about video games.

Burn

#45 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4639 posts) -

Played it myself. The game is really that good.

#46 Posted by lostrib (35891 posts) -

It seems like the console fanboys/trolls care a lot more about this being PC GOTY, than PC fans do

#48 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -
#49 Edited by Snugenz (11854 posts) -
#50 Edited by KKFF (53 posts) -

@lostrib said:

It seems like the console fanboys/trolls care a lot more about this being PC GOTY, than PC fans do

It's funny that this is the best game PC has to offer this year
The glory days of pc gaming are long gone