Orbis unmasked: what to expect from next gen Playstation

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8104 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

If 3 gb for the next Xbox's OS is true, it sounds like Kinect is going to be built into the system, which is the last thing I wanted to happen. Between rumors of this and Sony having a touch screen controller, I might just end up forgetting consoles and getting a PC next year.

V3rciS

whether kinect is pre-installed or not how exactly does it affects you? On contrary it's even better you can use only the kinect features you're interested in and ignore any stupid games that are totally based on it.

it affects, because having it built-in would potentially force MS to offset its cost by lowering the overall specs of the hardware somewhere else.
#-48 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I don't care for DF but this is good information if true. Good find TC.

But until I see something real I'm just going to take this with a grain of salt. I hope to God that the 3 gigs OS on Xbox isn't true, I can already see massive amounts of ads and Kinect stuff being implemented if this is true. There is no reason to have it be that large otherwise.

#-47 Posted by wis3boi (32003 posts) -

I don't understand a damn thing about hardware

ShadowMoses900

Tell us more

#-46 Posted by emgesp (2511 posts) -

Can someone tell me why unified ram is better than split-pool ram? Why would 4GB's of unified ram be better than a split pool of 2GB's system ram and then 2GB's Vram? Thanks.

#-45 Posted by Tessellation (8844 posts) -

But until I see something real I'm just going to take this with a grain of salt. I hope to God that the 3 gigs OS on Xbox isn't true, I can already see massive amounts of ads and Kinect stuff being implemented if this is true. There is no reason to have it be that large otherwise.

ShadowMoses900
your ignorance is showing,why in hell they would need 3 gigs of ram for ads? like always
#-44 Posted by Tessellation (8844 posts) -

Can someone tell me why unified ram is better than split-pool ram? Why would 4GB's of unified ram be better than a split pool of 2GB's system ram and then 2GB's Vram? Thanks.

emgesp
unified is better because if CPU or GPU needs x amount of ram they can share it from the same pool..
#-43 Posted by blackace (21405 posts) -
More rumors, more rumors....
#-42 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17751 posts) -

I just cannot wait till E3 to see the two new consoles reveals. I plan on keeping my tax refund money aside to purchase one of these consoles! Probably going to be a tough decision on which one to get....

#-41 Posted by ronvalencia (15572 posts) -

ShadowMoses900
3GB for Xbox OS is worst than desktop PCs.
#-40 Posted by ronvalencia (15572 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tessellation"]''CPU: Eight-core AMD processor running at 1.6GHz'' I wonder where kuraimen is that he was making such a big deal about the next xbox having an 1.6 GHz processor..now that ps4 probably has one too must be the best thing ever :cool:

Current IBM PPE @3.2Ghz is roughly similar to PowerPC 970 @ 1.6Ghz. PowerPC 970 @ 1.6Ghz is roughly similar to AMD K8 Athlon 64 @ 1.6Ghz.
#-39 Posted by ronvalencia (15572 posts) -

I've been saying for weeks now that a GPU based on the 7970m would make sense in next-gen consoles. All those rumors about a 6670 was laughable at best. You don't throw in 4 GB's of GDDR5 ram if you plan on using a custom GPU only on par with a measly 6670. A custom GPU on par with a 7970m would probably cost Sony around the same, or less than what the PS3's RSX cost in 2006. The actual AMD CPU part will cost way less than what the Cell did. Blu-ray drives are incredibley cheap now. Basically the Ram and GPU will be the bulk of the cost. Probably will cost Sony $450 to make and they can sell it at a slight loss for around $399.99.

emgesp

1st gen NVIDIA RSX = 258 mm^2

1st gen IBM CELL = 230 mm^2

Total chip size: 488 mm^2

PCB budget: 72 bit traces for XDR + 128bit traces for GDDR3. A total of 200 bit trace budget for the PCB.

Based on 1st gen PS3, power consumption can be around 209 watts (e.g. FF13)

------------------

Semi-custom AMD Jaguar with 8 cores with Radeon HD 7850 (20 CUs with 16 CUs working). If yields improves, existing 7850 could have 18 working CUs.

AMD Jaguar core: 3.1 mm^2 + 2.1 mm^2 L2 cache = 5.2 mm^2 x 8 cores = 41.6 mm^2 (28nm process tech)

AMD Radeon HD 7850 (16 CU GpGPU) = 212 mm^2 (28nm process tech)

Total chip size: 253.6 mm^2, ~150 watts.

PCB budget: Extra chip budget can be allocated towards a large eDRAM i.e. the problem would be PCB cost with 256bit traces.

PS; smaller chip size = cheaper.

PS3 (200bit trace PCB) with modern parts would be stronger than Xbox 360 (128bit trace PCB) with modern parts.

#-38 Posted by Yrkoon99 (463 posts) -

sounds like a decent jump for consoles and i wont need to upgrade my pc either to still pwn them if true :)