One Month Later...Can We Finally Admit GTA 5 is Overrated?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@halo1399 said:

Now that the dust has settled and gamers have had their time to experience GTA 5, its time to come to terms with the fact that GTA 5 will have the same lasting legacy as 4.

In fact, I'd argue that the series has not evolved much since GTA 3 was released 12 years ago. Similar repetitive gameplay functions still plague it: Drive to Point A..shoot guys...Rendezvous at Point B collect cash. Granted the open world is impressive and there are some cool things to do, however I do not see this being the potential GOTY that everyone makes it out to be.

In the next few months I think fans will come to realize that GTA 5 ended up being a disappointment much like 4. I also seriously think GTA 5 is not a GOTY favorite this year, I still like BioShock Infinite to take that crown.

You say GTA V is overrated because its repetitive and then name a game thats way more repetitive as your goty? In fact Bioshock is probably the most repetitive action game there is. GTA V's gameplay is WAY more varied than Bioshock. GTA hasnt evolved? How has Bioshock evolved?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#52 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

A game has pierced the upper echelon when obligatory hate/discredit threads start showing up

Good job R*

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

gotg does not care if you like it or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#54  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Most fun I had in gaming this gen. By far my game of the gen. Rockstar redeem themselves with this one. I hated gta 4 and rdr, max payne 3 was boring and midnight club LA was not as good as midnight club 3

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#55 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

It's pretty good. Better than the crap that was 4.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#56  Edited By RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Hell no, Game of the Year, Game of the Gen.

It's the GTA i've been waiting for since this gen started. GTA IV was a great game in it's own right, but, lets face it, terrible when compared to the legendary San Andreas, I don't know what Rockstar were thinking when they replace Harrier Jets and Tanks with Bowling and TV within a TV.

I would even go as far to say that GTA V is underrated when compared to GTA IV, Gamespot didn't seem to understand that people were not raging over GTA Vs 9/10 because it didn't get 10/10, but because GTA IV got 10/10.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Meh. Gameplay is really improved overall. I'm not a San Andreas nut rider like so many here. GTA 5 is an improvement over San Andreas and 4.

But at the end of the day It still more GTA even if it is the best in the series. GOTY is TLOU.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Seeing a few folks here say the game is underrated. I'm kind of confused on how this game is underrated. Seems everyone loved it, sales exploded, and critics adored it.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

The game really isn't that great. It's far too difficult to make money, it's far too easy to get killed and the penalty is high. The majority of missions hardly involve actual gameplay.

ManInFlames-77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By ManInFlames-77
Member since 2013 • 300 Posts

@Pffrbt: Sounds to me like you just suck at the game

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Pffrbt

@maninflames-77 said:

@Pffrbt: Sounds to me like you just suck at the game

That was predictable. The characters die in one or two hits, they die far too easily. It isn't fun because it severely limits how much experimentation and dicking around you can do.

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

Let's not.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#63 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I don't know, have people already admitted GTA IV was overrated as hell and that it's probably the worst GTA from the main series post III era?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I found it to be a technical marvel that remedied mostly all of the issues that plagued IV. That said, the writing and ridiculous, over-the-top, overly exaggerated, obnoxious drama queens that the game called "characters" were so bad to the point that they nearly ruined the game and definitely didn't want to make me play it anymore.

People get so incredibly impressed upon first playing GTA games that they have trouble looking deeper and seeing that they're really in a shallow world, only offered superficial trivialities to occupy their time until the next linear "go here, kill x, escape" (with some slight differences). I don't include the heists in these those, they were an improvement but even after I experimented with them I didn't see much of a difference (could never avoid the cops, for example).

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

The game really isn't that great. It's far too difficult to make money, it's far too easy to get killed and the penalty is high. The majority of missions hardly involve actual gameplay.

use cover and use it smart i found this the easiest GTA game of the lot, and play the stock market right at the end of the game and saving your assasination missions.

And the penalty for death is too high? im curious did you play GTA IV it was much more crippling to make money and the death/respawn penalty was far more draconian.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

They totally got it right this time. Wasn't a fan of IV but V is amazing. GTAO is also the best MP experience since Battlefield 3 .. with TLOU MP coming a close second

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pffrbt

@razgriz_101 said:

@Pffrbt said:

use cover and use it smart i found this the easiest GTA game of the lot, and play the stock market right at the end of the game and saving your assasination missions.

And the penalty for death is too high? im curious did you play GTA IV it was much more crippling to make money and the death/respawn penalty was far more draconian.

I do use cover, I never said the game was difficult, just that the fact that you die so incredibly easily sucks a lot of the fun out it. I already know about playing the stock market after all of the story missions, the problem with that is that by that point you're pretty much burnt out on the game.

And I never said this game wasn't better that GTA4, I couldn't even tolerate that game long enough to finish it. It being better than GTA4 doesn't make it not bad.

Probably what I hate most is that the vast majority of missions have barely any gameplay. It's mostly just driving around over and over and over again.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah I personally think it's overrated. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#69 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

The game is amazing its everything GTA 4 should have been.

McSkombi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By McSkombi
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

@halo1399 said:

Now that the dust has settled and gamers have had their time to experience GTA 5, its time to come to terms with the fact that GTA 5 will have the same lasting legacy as 4.

In fact, I'd argue that the series has not evolved much since GTA 3 was released 12 years ago. Similar repetitive gameplay functions still plague it: Drive to Point A..shoot guys...Rendezvous at Point B collect cash. Granted the open world is impressive and there are some cool things to do, however I do not see this being the potential GOTY that everyone makes it out to be.

In the next few months I think fans will come to realize that GTA 5 ended up being a disappointment much like 4. I also seriously think GTA 5 is not a GOTY favorite this year, I still like BioShock Infinite to take that crown.

I think this is the first GTA which is not overrated at all. I have never finished a GTA game but this I'm just about to and I cannot wait, even if the story is a bit weak in my opinion.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

it's hit and miss for me i mean it's 10 times better than GTA 4. The Hiests were rubbish i mean the first one was great but the hiests after had no relevance, all that about using the same crew because they level up, i mean seriously what leveling up did they need, you userd them once after and only one of them, hiests were a let down, i mean the ending hiest was just about you walking to it, nothing else.

The other thing was there is nout to do after the game has finished,

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Yes its overrated, but no game was ever going to live up to the extreme amount of hype GTA5 had. I still enjoyed playing it though, even if the story was pretty poor.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

Sold it after a week of owning it. The terrible clunky controls just make the whole thing a chore to play. I don't know why more reviewers didnt pick up on that and take that into account when scoring it.... Its almost like some reviewers these days are afraid to give games with big budgets and production values less than an 8/10...the game play just... wasnt... fun. Press one button to hide in cover press another to pop out and auto lock on kill someone...is just dull/boring requires no skill to do...its almost akin to a bunch of quick time events. My whole time playing it i kept saying to myself 'did they even play test this game?' or just show people videos of scripted scenes (where the game does actually look good and worked very well to market it.)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Yup it's overrated. I tried playing it quite a few times, got bored within half an hour each time. It's same old GTA.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@anab0lic said:

Sold it after a week of owning it. The terrible clunky controls just make the whole thing a chore to play. I don't know why more reviewers didnt pick up on that and take that into account when scoring it.... Its almost like some reviewers these days are afraid to give games with big budgets and production values less than an 8/10...the game play just... wasnt... fun. Press one button to hide in cover press another to pop out and auto lock on kill someone...is just dull/boring requires no skill to do...its almost akin to a bunch of quick time events. My whole time playing it i kept saying to myself 'did they even play test this game?' or just show people videos of scripted scenes (where the game does actually look good and worked very well to market it.)

If only Rockstar had included an option for manual aiming!

bish0p34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bish0p34
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

An old thread, yes...but...

I definitely agree it's over rated. Heavily. It started out with a lot of promise, but it wasn't as good as the hype made it out to be. Although it feels more alive in it's design, the game play is lacking. Sadly, GTA holds my interest less and less with every release.

The cops are too annoying. They take the fun out of aimlessy rampaging (an old way I used to blow off steam after work). You spend more time running from them than actually killing people. You get a wanted level for doing nothing sometimes. they can be ridiculously easy, or frustratingly impossible to lose with absolutely zero consistency. Biggest flaw in this game by far.

Money is way too hard to come by.

The lung capacity is inconsistent. Franklin has full, Micheal is about half. Yet Michael can stay under a lot longer than Franklin for me????

Races are just impossible, unless you play it that much to really get the driving down. I could go on....

I'm a casual gamer that occasionally gets engrossed in games that deserve the hype (Mass Effect series is deserving of this). Rockstar has pretty much isolated the casual gamer from what used to be a fun way to kill some time. It seems to be an attempt at being too realistic, and needs more time involved just to learn the curve.

It's just my opinion, but it will be my last GTA that I'll play. It was a gift, otherwise GTA IV would have been my last.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

@Netherscourge said:

I think it's underrated personally.

Great story, tons of stuff to do, tons of personality and personalities.

Sorry, but it's pretty much a lock for GOTY 2013.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Anything is overrated nowadays.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

overrated and still won't win GOTY

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@halo1399 said:

So...you critize GTAV for being repetive and lacking innovation and then you praise BioShock Infinite? Lmao...

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Overhyped maybe, overrated not I think.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

No, it's the best game R* has done.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#83  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No. It's not perfect, no game is, but it's easily one of the best games i ever played.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I playing right now and I can't disagree more. It's probably the best game I've played in ages.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#85 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

Why is there always that one guy who has to insist that everything good and enjoyable in the world is over rated?