One Month Later...Can We Finally Admit GTA 5 is Overrated?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by halo1399 (488 posts) -

Now that the dust has settled and gamers have had their time to experience GTA 5, its time to come to terms with the fact that GTA 5 will have the same lasting legacy as 4.

In fact, I'd argue that the series has not evolved much since GTA 3 was released 12 years ago. Similar repetitive gameplay functions still plague it: Drive to Point A..shoot guys...Rendezvous at Point B collect cash. Granted the open world is impressive and there are some cool things to do, however I do not see this being the potential GOTY that everyone makes it out to be.

In the next few months I think fans will come to realize that GTA 5 ended up being a disappointment much like 4. I also seriously think GTA 5 is not a GOTY favorite this year, I still like BioShock Infinite to take that crown.

#2 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

I think it's underrated personally.

Great story, tons of stuff to do, tons of personality and personalities.

Sorry, but it's pretty much a lock for GOTY 2013.

#3 Edited by princeofshapeir (14254 posts) -

Topics like this are showing up every f*cking day and they are filled with the same stupid, tired points.

#4 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

haven't played it.

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (47229 posts) -

Nope, they nailed it. Huge leap from that shit pile that was GTA 4

#6 Posted by Bazooka_4ME (2536 posts) -

One month later, no ones gonna give a sh.t.

Pretty sure everyone will be busy playing their PS4.

Greatness is nigh...

#7 Posted by Dequan1233 (107 posts) -

Own it, but never did touch it.

#8 Posted by wolverine4262 (19376 posts) -

One month later... Im still playing it almost every day and having a blast.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

this is system whores, baby ! Don't ask if we think its overated, or if we can admit it. Never ask. You gotta DEMAND IT ! And yeah it is overated !

#10 Posted by Blabadon (26549 posts) -

A pretty damn flawed game so far in my eyes to the point where I haven't had the urge to play it in the past week. Fun and pretty as all hell? Yeah.

Feeling occasionally outdated? Definitely.

#11 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9812 posts) -

the game is awesome. I haven't touched it for over a week so I can say that in hindsight it was a truly great experience. I don't replay games often but I have a feeling I will be returning to this one often.

It's basically GTA4 healed of it's issues. The gritty browness is replaced with beautiful colors. The montonous gigantic cityscape is replaced with a modest city and a gigantic varied countryside. Literally every aspect of GTA4 has been looked at and upgraded. It's not a perfect game but it deserved a 10 big time. I defended a lot of Gamespot's low scores (big fan of McShea's Skyward Sword review) but I have an issue with giving this game a 9. They should switch the scores for GTA4 and GTA5

#12 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

Indeed. There are far better Golf Sims available, and the SR series is by far the superior sandbox experience this gen.

#13 Edited by princeofshapeir (14254 posts) -
@Blabadon said:

A pretty damn flawed game so far in my eyes to the point where I haven't had the urge to play it in the past week. Fun and pretty as all hell? Yeah.

Feeling occasionally outdated? Definitely.

I agree, driving cars in video games is so 2012.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

and Bioshock Infinite is a horrible contender. They made a few design oversights in its gameplay. My money's on The Last Of Us and Arkham Origins.

#15 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

#16 Edited by princeofshapeir (14254 posts) -

@danabo said:

Indeed. There are far better Golf Sims available, and the SR series is by far the superior sandbox experience this gen.

It is just so frustrating that you are forced to play golf in this game. Rockstar should be sued.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

and Bioshock Infinite is a horrible contender. They made a few design oversights in its gameplay. My money's on The Last Of Us and Arkham Origins.

8.0 for the Last of Flop. I predict the same for Batman.

#17 Posted by millerlight89 (18547 posts) -

It was a massive disappointment. Not one thing about it was really great.

#18 Edited by sonic_spark (4658 posts) -

Overrated on one reason, and one reason only.

The controls still suck. The onscreen character does not move fluidly (if you ask me) and the shooting mechanics are still awful.

But the game offers a fantastic experience, with a lot of depth/replay value. So, if you can get over the controls like I think most people have as accepting them as "standard GTA controls" then the game is great.

That is to say the controls fair a bit better than GTA IV.

#19 Posted by Ballroompirate (23015 posts) -

Nope not even close to being overrated.

#20 Edited by ristactionjakso (5730 posts) -

Yes. They have yet to fix the awful controls that have plagued every GTA game. It's overrated on every level. It can be fun doing all the bad cool things, but there are other games that you can do the same thing, but better because the controls suck in GTA.

Sleeping Dogs > GTA 1-5 combined.

#21 Edited by ManInFlames-77 (291 posts) -

@ristactionjakso said:

Yes. They have yet to fix the awful controls that have plagued every GTA game. It's overrated on every level. It can be fun doing all the bad cool things, but there are other games that you can do the same thing, but better because the controls suck in GTA.

lololololololol

#22 Posted by mems_1224 (47229 posts) -

@ristactionjakso said:

LOL

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13591 posts) -

@ princeofshapeir. Sounds Great.

#24 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

I'm waiting for the PC version despite owning a 360/PS3 but when a game receives the amount of hype that GTA V did it's IMPOSSIBLE for it to live up to it. People were calling it the greatest game ever made months before it even launched. I'm sure it's a great game and I will enjoy playing it but I could easyily wait over a year for it.

#25 Posted by Omega-316 (787 posts) -

Nope.

Missions are fun as hell.
Trevor is the best character of all time.
Graphics are the best in any open world game.
The attention to detail shows how god like Rockstar is.
The Online is addicting.
The controls are on point.
The amount of content will forever make me feel like I got robbed buying other games at full price.
It out sold GTA4 in less then a month.
Still not on PC. I love watching them suffer.
Greatest game of all time.
Only nerdy hipsters hate on this game. They all usually have some anime pic as their av. Go play some crappy japanese game.
/this sh!tty thread.

#26 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2734 posts) -

No

GTA IV was overrated.

#27 Edited by Joedgabe (5114 posts) -

@ristactionjakso said:

I got Sleeping Dogs for free for my Graphics card and it felt like a wasted gift.

#28 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

for some reason gta 4 was more fun. gta5 is very funny because of trevor but the story is all messed up, gta 4 had a great story.

#30 Posted by darkspineslayer (19749 posts) -

@Blabadon: Silly Blab, there are no flaws with based GTA. The mission structure isn't repetitive and ironically limiting as hell for the open world gameplay that other games do better (which none do).

#31 Posted by Krelian-co (11155 posts) -

why is it so hard for some idiots to understand that if they dont like something thats really popular, that doesnt make it overrated. People loved this game, critics loved this game, if you dont like it, well boo hoo move on.

#32 Posted by Merex760 (4328 posts) -

Nope. GTA 5 is awesome, and the online is loads of fun. However, I will say that with every new high rated AAA title, there will be one of these "X game is overrated" threads 100%.

#33 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

I already told u before release that it will be overrated and guess i was right. it is overrated crap.

yet they market it like best thing ever since slice bread.

#34 Posted by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

Hell no. The missions are fun and varied, the story is great, the characters easily thrump the characters in GTA IV. Hell, Trevor alone shits on all the characters from GTA IV.

GTA IV was the 'sequel' to GTA III, ignoring everything San Andreas did. That's why it was hated on. That's why after the 'next gen' dust settled, it was frowned upon.

Overall, GTA V is easily the best GTA game, it's the 'sequel' to San Andreas, taking that game and improving upon it tenfold and throwing in extremely memorable characters to the mix aswell.

#35 Edited by Suppaman100 (3935 posts) -

The singel player was great....multiplayer not so much though.

A bit overrated imo but still worthy of a 9+ score but the game is not perfect.

#36 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

game is amazing.

ive watched other ppl play it because the writing is that good.

#37 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

Why admit something that just is not true no matter how much you want it to be? i bet tc will create a thread 5 years later, and still get the same responses, let it go, it's a great game, it deserves it's props.

#38 Posted by PAL360 (26926 posts) -

No, it's one of the best games this gen.

#39 Edited by CTR360 (7100 posts) -

GTA V its underrated and masterpiece of course i love it

#40 Posted by getyeryayasout (7598 posts) -

I do not admit that. GTA is amazing. If ever a game was "the total package", R* delivered it with GTA V. Same as I will be delivering "the total package", day after Thanksgiving. Gonna crack the bowl, like a real man.

#41 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25759 posts) -

I only just got it today. Controls, gunplay and driving all feel better than IV. Looks and runs pretty goddamn good considering the size.

#42 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

It didn't come to my full expectations in some aspects, but it's still one of the better games I've played and own this gen.

I think it deserves the praise.

#43 Edited by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

One month on and I ended up selling the game! Before I bought it I would never had envisioned that I would become bored of it so quickly and I felt it was certainly inferior to 4 in most aspects, particularly the story!

I'd certainly say its highly overrated, in fact I can't believe all the praise its being given. There wasn't enough to do outside the story that you couldn't already do in 4, and the missions became very samey in the end. As someone else has already mentioned in the thread, its just "drive here and kill these people, then drive here and kill a few more people, and drive here and the mission ends". The heists were the best part of the game by a distance but there were only 6 of them, and considering a lot was made of the heists before the game's release, I found that very disappointing also.

For me GTA5 was proof at just how stale this gen has become, Xbox One cant come soon enough now!

#44 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25513 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Nope, they nailed it. Huge leap from that shit pile that was GTA 4

yep.

GTA IV was awful.

#45 Edited by Ghost120x (3909 posts) -

Overrated? Yes. I haven't played it in a week and gta online is meh. It's still a top teir game but it did not match the hype that people were giving it. It just about what I expected it to be so I can't say I'm disappointed.

#46 Edited by donalbane (16359 posts) -

@halo1399:

The graphics were stellar, the writing was movie-quality, the gameplay and mission diversity was the best in the series, the 3 character narrative structure was extraordinarily innovative and the online is incredible, so no... I really don't think it was over rated one bit.

#47 Posted by Sushiglutton (5328 posts) -

I think it's a strong nine, not a ten. So I think the rating is pretty spot on. Best open world ever, most detailed, varied fleshed out with random events and characters, organic activities like riding a dirt bike in the mountains, or doing loops around bridges in a jet. Three protagonist system worked much better than I thought and was innovative. Characters were great across the board, story was kind of meh. Missions were extremely varied (I strongly disagree with stale mission structure) and had some cool set piece movements that left you in control. For example flying aboard an airplane, shoot everyone and then drive off with a car. Some of them were too scripted though.

My biggest complaint is that the shootouts really are pretty weak. There are several issues with them. First off the recticle is only visible once you have started shooting which make the combat jog they have been hyping much less useful and overall lower your offensive powers. Secondly enemies spawn very unpredictably and in annoying ways. Third thumbsticks suck to aim with (not R* fault obv). Fourth movement is just not as smoot as say Max Payne. Fifth the guns lack oompf, not crazy about the sound design and the impact animations/effects.

#48 Edited by Vatusus (4677 posts) -

No its not. GTA V is one of the best games I played this whole gen. Great improvement over IV

Kinda ironic a guy with Halo on its name coming to talk about overrated games...

#49 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17751 posts) -

There are moments where I feel, "Yup this is the same GTA game I've been playing since Vice City." and other times I think, "Holy cow this is fun!"

I passed on GTAIV and after V I believe I will take another break and pass on VI when that comes out.

Funny how a game can change so much but still be fundamentally the same. I don't enjoy all the endless driving to locations, I've never enjoyed it, and it's just not my idea of a good time.

#50 Posted by marlobc (802 posts) -

GTA V was great , it was the hype that killed bit of it . My vote for GOTY goes to The Last of Us .