"On June 9th, the PS4 stays the same."

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

This is Sony's response to the price drop.

Link

Today Microsoft announced some sweeping changes to the Xbox One, including a price cut that begins on June 9th. Here's how PlayStation France responded to the news:

A partir du 09/06 : la #PS4 reste la même ;-) #4ThePlayerspic.twitter.com/xN8w4AoX4k

— PlayStation France (@playstationfr) May 13, 2014

Translation (via NeoGAF): "On June 9th, the PS4 stays the same."

In other words, Sony's shrugging at Microsoft's announcements. The big changes for the Xbox One - the $399 SKU, removal of a pay-wall for entertainment apps and expansion of Games with Gold - simply bring that console in line with the PS4's offering since launch.

While Sony (or the employee manning the PlayStation France Twitter account) might not consider the Xbox One changes all that ground-breaking, they are important. Microsoft is correcting three major concerns that gamers had with the Xbox One. These concerns were selling points for the PS4. Come next month, it's harder for Sony to argue that their console is the better value than the Xbox One. A gamer still deciding between PS4 and Xbox One won't care which console was $399 first.

Lowering the price of the Xbox One and offering free games and entertainment apps isn't enough to put Microsoft in the lead, though. The PS4 still has a big advantages in sales. Microsoft has to convince gamers that their console is worth $399, and that it's a better use of $399 than the PS4. It's not sufficient for Xbox One to replicate the PS4's features. It needs to offer something unique, such as incredible exclusives.

The June changes for Xbox One put the focus back on software. With major gaps in prices and features removed, the biggest differences between the PS4 and Xbox One now lay in their game libraries.

"The reason people buy these consoles is to play games," Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi said in an interview with Forbes today. "We’ve got the best games line-up. We had the best games line-up this past holiday if you talk to most experts in the games industry. As we go into E3, you’re going to see an incredible games line-up. Knock on wood, I believe we’re going to have a great games line-up for this coming holiday as well."

Today was a great day for the Xbox One. It doesn't put the PS4 on the defensive just yet but that could change at E3. If Microsoft has a better lineup of games during their press conference, Sony won't be able to use the PS4's lower price as a defense.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Inb4 MS announces a new One controller with "a certain button" added to it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Thank God, we had neogaf to translate that.

We would've been so fucked otherwise.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

there's no impetus for them to change.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

playstation is in great shape and xbone is in panic

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

>Isn't the better value.

It's still the stronger system. Two equally priced devices, except one is showing to be stronger and more consistent in performance.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

lol love Godny Trolling the poor, or shall I say, filthy rich competitors

the PS4 sells itself

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

How appropriate IdleStation confirmed by Sony themselves LOL

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

All these 180s just makes MS and the Xbone look weaker by the day. PS4 is a strong successful product that got everything right on the first try.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

M$ what a Fcuked up situation since launch of the Xflop. All these Upclocking to try and catch up to the power of the Quad, then all these BS Cloud power and Esram hope. Now the last resort is dropping Kidnect to try and get rid of all those stockpiles at Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc. and a lemmings buy all the obvious BS thrown at them hence the name Lemmings

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

All these 180s just makes MS and the Xbone look weaker by the day. PS4 is a strong successful product that got everything right on the first try.

...no they didn't

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That article is poorly written with a slant and the writer dropped variables like more powerful hardware at the same price to strengthen his point. It's a transparent move. What really would have helped M$ was announcing a $299-$349 Xbone sans Kinect considering Kinect is what drove the price up and the Xbone itself is powered by cheaper components (RAM, GPU, etc). Or a $399 Xbone with Kinect as they sold in March. Or both, $299 Kinectless Xbone, $399 Xbone Kinect. Many people already picked up a $399 Xbone with Kinect and Titan Fall back in March from M$ themselves (Picture below). It's a major spin of a French Playstation tiny word Twitter Response ("A partir du 09/06 : la #PS4 reste la même"). Pete Haas (Who writes 90% Xbox articles at various sites) created a giant spin piece based on a french twitter response. What was Nintendo's Twitter response? What about Sony's and Nintendo's Spanish Twitter responses? Let's not leave out Germany or Italy. Let's go through a checklist of countries and twitter feeds. I want more languages and more companies response PRONTO and then write a spin article that ends with M$ PR. I find it amusing.

"Sony to argue that their console is the better value than the Xbox One." It seems the writer is blissfully unaware of the power gap between the two machines, or is intentionally avoiding that subject. Whether that is important to the individual is understandable, but for $399 for either machine, it does boil down to games certainly (Sony's much larger 1st party output has a major advantage at time will prove), but it also boils down to features, power, controller, etc. These things are subjective. Understandable. I enjoy both which is why I own both machines, but I wouldn't construct such a slanted article I were in his shoes. If you know Pete's previous works though, this all makes more sense. He's looking for trouble, he might stumble onto it. So after reading that tiny french Twitter response. He ends the article quoting and using PR we read yesterday from one company, utilizing M$'s top Marketing Officer's words. I know how the writer feels and I know his horse in the race as he made it pretty apparent.

The other thing to consider E3 is coming, these companies are on their time table. Yesterday, M$ decided to make new PlayStation inspired moves to help their brand and lagging sales of their Xbone console which will start in June. That was their time table. Today nothing by anyone. Do companies wait till E3, do they get reactionary because of one company that is as some would say, making desperate measures? Sony will either react or not react on their time. They have all month. We have to see. They are on the clock until June when those changes take place with Price and Xbox Live. Those changes don't start today, but next month. Hack writers know this and can use the next few weeks to troll for hits, creating click-bait articles that waste our time like this piece. It's just a poor article starting at the title and moving through it piece by piece.

I don't think Sony should worry about the price due to the hardware advantage, but I think they should worry about the services aspect. If Sony doesn't have the games ready to announce at E3, maybe they should worry about price. The prudent thing to do is to wait and see how this new June Xbone sells before acting rash. Maybe they will do nothing, they are the hotness right now and can choose that route. I have all the machines so I'm not worried, but that's my breakdown.

E3 should be fun for all gamers, including the Nintendo gamers who Pete left out of this article in hopes of drumming up support.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Microsoft should've followed Sony's "for gamers, by gamers" approach from day 1.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Why should the ps4 change when they have better hardware and better 1st party support??

The x180 was being sold for 449 with a game and gold yet still got owned at retail in the states MS major market. The ps4 also has a game streaming service and VR in the pipe. Psn+ has also cost less and has a 6 month lead on games with gold.

Now unless you have no clue and you go to the store then all you can say is they cost the same.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

If sony didn't do anything when the x1 was $449 with kinect and titanfall included, also some retailers were offer gift cards too, then why would they jump with $399 x1 with nothing included.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Why do people keep calling it a price drop lol it's just a different way to purchase it. 499$ with Kinect and 399$ with Kinect sold separately at 99.99$ (or something) is not a price cut.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

That's what i also think. MS is desperate it seems

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

lulz that's why sony are so boss they will kick m$ when they down. this gaming biznezz is for the bigboys n xbone is not the bigboys like ps4. xbone will be gone by the end of the year n if u buy one now ur brain got mental problems imho facts

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Any news or re-compensation for those that paid the full 500 for the Xbox one and kinnect ? It wouldn't seem really fair to them it hasn't even been a year yet.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They should have dropped the price to $349. Would have made MS shake in their boots.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

GODNY staying the course as they should be. When you are the market leader dominating with the most powerful console in history and fastest selling console in history there's no need to change. Sony has clearly given the customers what they want with their first attempt. M$ is doing constant 180s to keep up with the dominating PS4 and it only makes the Xbone look like a weaker PS4, and makes M$ look desperate and insecure.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

Your opinion against the market.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Microsoft should've followed Sony's "for gamers, by gamers" approach from day 1.

:D Right on!

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

So still a cheap ass PC that can't run games at 1080p at 60fps. Good to know Sony. You Cows enjoy that 108p difference on Watch Dogs. hahaha

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

So still a cheap ass PC that can't run games at 1080p at 60fps. Good to know Sony. You Cows enjoy that 108p difference on Watch Dogs. hahaha

I saw your first comment beofre you deleted it and yes, its good to see Ms finally drop Kinect(lol) after they dropped core in 2009 to chase the Wii's pot of gold with it. Only wish I could of got my Xbone without one. :(

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

If they got everything right on the first try then there would be no complaints and no needs to update

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xhawk27

@Heil68 said:

@xhawk27 said:

I saw your first comment beofre you deleted it and yes, its good to see Ms finally drop Kinect(lol) after they dropped core in 2009 to chase the Wii's pot of gold with it. Only wish I could of got my Xbone without one. :(

You still have the complete package. Once people learn how much more they can do with Kinect and yes I still believe someone is going to make killer apps for it. If not then the devs either can't or the technology is not permitting them to do so.

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

Actually they shouldn't have responded at all. It wasn't needed.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SambaLele

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

If they got everything right on the first try then there would be no complaints and no needs to update

"Nothing" has got everything right on the first try. The other user made use of a figure of speech to denote that the competition has no such flaws like the X1 has, if you can't figure that much, might as well start reading other things instead of these forum boards.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

"Nothing" has got everything right on the first try. The other user made use of a figure of speech to denote that the competition has no such flaws like the X1 has, if you can't figure that much, might as well start reading other things instead of these forum boards.

but the PS4 does have flaws

I didn't realize that the definition of everything had changed

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Scipio8 said:

How appropriate IdleStation confirmed by Sony themselves LOL

Well you don't have to move allot when all your competition did is copy all you have and try to imitated what you were doing since day 1..

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xhawk27

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

Yeah you are 100% right. I mean look at last gen with the PS3 you could call it the PS180 from all the changes Sony made to the system. Rumble is Last gen, remember that Sony fanboys.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

why would they change? They are selling well and they can't afford to sell at a loss.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NathanDrakeSwag

@xhawk27 said:

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

Yeah you are 100% right. I mean look at last gen with the PS3 you could call it the PS180 from all the changes Sony made to the system. Rumble is Last gen, remember that Sony fanboys.

When you have to compare current Xbone to the PS3 of 2006 you know MS fucked up LOL

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

I find it funny that Sony tries to poke fun at a company that could financially destroy them.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SambaLele

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

...no they didn't

Exactly, you fail at simple text interpretation. Of course it has flaws. Even the most perfect PC has. Nothing is perfect. What he said (through connotation) is that the PS4 didn't bring flaws that demanded Sony to backtrack on features and policies, or "180" like he said. It's a simple matter of relative hyperbole: compared to that, it's like it's perfect. But I won't lose time here teaching you how to read beyond denotation, because you're obviously faking you didn't undertand what he really meant, just to grab attention. At least, I hope you're just faking you don't understand something that's supposed to be simple.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lostrib

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

Exactly, you fail at simple text interpretation. Of course it has flaws. Even the most perfect PC has. Nothing is perfect. What he denoted is that the PS4 didn't bring flaws that demanded Sony to backtrack on features and policies, or "180" like he said. It's a simple matter of relative hyperbole: compared to that, it's like it's perfect. But I won't lose time here teaching you how to read beyond denotation.

Except he gave two separate statements with out transition or mention of comparison. Honestly, I don't know why you're expending so much effort to defend someone who is wrong

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@spitfire-six said:

I find it funny that Sony tries to poke fun at a company that could financially destroy them.

If you think MS makin' money on Xbone you must be smokin' crack.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SambaLele

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

@lostrib said:

@SambaLele said:

Exactly, you fail at simple text interpretation. Of course it has flaws. Even the most perfect PC has. Nothing is perfect. What he denoted is that the PS4 didn't bring flaws that demanded Sony to backtrack on features and policies, or "180" like he said. It's a simple matter of relative hyperbole: compared to that, it's like it's perfect. But I won't lose time here teaching you how to read beyond denotation.

Except he gave two separate statements with out transition or mention of comparison. Honestly, I don't know why you're expending so much effort to defend someone who is wrong

But I'm not defending you. And there's no rule that connotation can't be separated by an end point/period/phrase.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spitfire-Six

@Pray_to_me: I dont recall me saying that, however if Microsoft as a whole decided to really go after Sony are you saying they couldn't?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

greatness awaits like prophecy of a distant promise land only our eternal souls can obtain on the conditions we live a life of unwavering faith for Sony

the price won't drop and the good games are on some distant horizon that will one day come... one day... any day now

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NathanDrakeSwag

@spitfire-six said:

Sony has been doing it for a year and all MS can do is pull 180s. They may have more money but you can't make consumers want an inferior product.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@spitfire-six said:

@Pray_to_me: I dont recall me saying that, however if Microsoft as a whole decided to really go after Sony are you saying they couldn't?

More than they have try already.? Come on since they set foot in the industry they were shooting for sony jugular, the xbox even had a HDD,and was more powerful,they basically money hat every developers they could.

MS has try very hard they just failed.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@tormentos said:

@spitfire-six said:

More than they have try already.? Come on since they set foot in the industry they were shooting for sony jugular, the xbox even had a HDD,and was more powerful,they basically money hat every developers they could.

MS has try very hard they just failed.

The Xbox brand is a flop. It's a bootleg Playstation just like Surface is a bootleg ipad. Only ghetto people prefer xbox.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

I have read that Titanfall didn't even help move much more X1 units. PS4 still outsold X1.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spitfire-Six

@scottpsfan14: @tormentos: @NathanDrakeSwag:

I guess Ill respond in bulk since you all are jumping into that discussion I was about to have.

Im on Microsoft's side because they are American and I support America. I also refuse to give Sony anymore of my money after the PSN fiasco. I also refuse to give Sony money after my playstation 3 wouldn't play new games because they updated the blue ray drive. i was asked to pay 400$ to send my ps3 to them to update. So yes I am on Microsofts side based on those reasons. Calling the X1 an inferior product depends on who is judging the product I don't find it inferior at all. Money talks, and Microsoft has plenty of Sony does not. Just like when we have wars and the most financially stable country wins how do you think this war is going to turn out when one companies infrastructure is burning and the others is not?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Sony pretends to be smart at the expense of opposition once again. Nothing of substance to see.