Older Games Of This Gen That Are Still The Best There Is

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

Even with 2010 and 2011 pounding our consoles with quality games, there are still some exceptional games that came out in theearlier half of this generation which seem to still hold their crowns....heres several I found have stood the test of time phenomenally, but dont forget to mention yours....remember this topic is about games of this gen

1. MGS4- This game, even though its graphics may have been surpassed, still looks gorgeous and has one of the best gaming experiences on PS3, probably one of the best this gen even with the titles that came after.

2. SSBB- Now i am sure not many would agree with me, but I personally find this game is the best fighting game of the gen, a game in which is both enitrley accessible, homorous, orgasmic, crazy, and can accomodate to both button mashers and fighting veterans alike...with its incredible roster, music, and stages, it stands as one of the biggest reasons to own a Wii.

3. Elder Scrolls Oblivion- Honestly, even after all the RPGs that came after it with much better graphics and larger size, Oblivion seems to still hold the crown as one of the most unique and insanely pleasurable RPG experiences of this gen, only to be surpassed most likely by its sequel Skyrim, lol.

4. Gears of War 2- The game is not entirely old, but it sort of is...the game has been out for a great amount of time and plenty of titles after have been able to surpass its visuals. It really is not a game many talk about anymore. Yet, what is intersting is that the game still has one of the most intense, adrenaline bleeding designs of this gen. It was never a game meant to make us use our brains, true, but it still stands tall. Tall and bloody

5. Bioshock 1 (as in not 2!) - Too many, but not neccessarily everybody, Bioshock 1 is actually much more memorable than Bioshock 2. True, Bioshock 2 was an upgrade of course, but it was also basically a familiar continuation basically of the first, and the new design in Bioshock 2 was not favored by all over the design of the first. So it might be safe to say even that Bioshock 1 stands taller than Bioshock 2 in terms of quality and memorable first person experience. Bioshock 1, even today, can be played and still realized as a terrific peice of art and horror.

These are five of the biggest older titles of this gen that seem to still stand as terrific, mind blowing titles even with the new titles that may have surpassed their technology after their releases... do you agree with these five titles, and what other titles of this gen are older but still the best of the best.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I consider Fallout 3 to be better than New Vegas

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

inb4crysis

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

inb4crysis

GreenGoblin2099

[spoiler] Half Life 2: Episode 2 [/spoiler]

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

BPoole96
Same here....Fallour New Vegas had plenty of fun and improvements, but it just didnt have those epic, very memorable quests, and even though its world was bigger, it also felt a bit emptier too
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

I agree about Bioshock, the game was absolutely incredible. Probably my favorite game this gen. I'm playing Bioshock 2 right now, but it just feels like it's lacking something. I can't quite put a finger on it. Perhaps the novelty has worn off, or perhaps its the story this time around. It just isn't able to hold my attention like the first one was.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I'm playing through Eternal Sonata and its the best JRPG I've played all this generation. In regards to HD consoles that is.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

inb4crysis

Raymundo_Manuel

Half Life 2: Episode 2

I hate Alyx... I was disappointed she didn't die :evil:

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

ms555
Same here....Fallour New Vegas had plenty of fun and improvements, but it just didnt have those epic, very memorable quests, and even though its world was bigger, it also felt a bit emptier too

Epic and memorable quests in Fallout 3?
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raymundo_Manuel

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]

inb4crysis

GreenGoblin2099

:x

Everything in that game was perfect including Alyx not dying.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreenGoblin2099

Raymundo_Manuel

She's so annoying... I rather hang out with a headcrab than her.

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Counter-Strike: Source, obviously.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

I'm playing through Eternal Sonata and its the best JRPG I've played all this generation. In regards to HD consoles that is.

Ragnarok1051

YES! one of the best turn based battle systems ever. the music's great too.

as far as the topic goes throw condemned and the darkness in there, two pretty unique FPSs that came out at the beginning of this gen.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

idc what anyone says

Oblivion>>>Fallout 3

also Amped 3 Kameo Elements of Power and Daxter

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
1) COD4 - no COD has been truly better since. 2) Uncharted is still awesome 3) Heavenly Sword remains the most fun I've had with a sword fighting/beatemup this gen 4) Motorstorm - the original mayhem is the best mayhem.
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Raymundo_Manuel

GreenGoblin2099

She's so annoying... I rather hang out with a headcrab than her.

That could be arranged.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts
[QUOTE="ms555"]

Even with 2010 and 2011 pounding our consoles with quality games, there are still some exceptional games that came out in theearlier half of this generation which seem to still hold their crowns....heres several I found have stood the test of time phenomenally, but dont forget to mention yours....remember this topic is about games of this gen

1. MGS4- This game, even though its graphics may have been surpassed, still looks gorgeous and has one of the best gaming experiences on PS3, probably one of the best this gen even with the titles that came after.

2. SSBB- Now i am sure not many would agree with me, but I personally find this game is the best fighting game of the gen, a game in which is both enitrley accessible, homorous, orgasmic, crazy, and can accomodate to both button mashers and fighting veterans alike...with its incredible roster, music, and stages, it stands as one of the biggest reasons to own a Wii.

3. Elder Scrolls Oblivion- Honestly, even after all the RPGs that came after it with much better graphics and larger size, Oblivion seems to still hold the crown as one of the most unique and insanely pleasurable RPG experiences of this gen, only to be surpassed most likely by its sequel Skyrim, lol.

4. Gears of War 2- The game is not entirely old, but it sort of is...the game has been out for a great amount of time and plenty of titles after have been able to surpass its visuals. It really is not a game many talk about anymore. Yet, what is intersting is that the game still has one of the most intense, adrenaline bleeding designs of this gen. It was never a game meant to make us use our brains, true, but it still stands tall. Tall and bloody

5. Bioshock 1 (as in not 2!) - Too many, but not neccessarily everybody, Bioshock 1 is actually much more memorable than Bioshock 2. True, Bioshock 2 was an upgrade of course, but it was also basically a familiar continuation basically of the first, and the new design in Bioshock 2 was not favored by all over the design of the first. So it might be safe to say even that Bioshock 1 stands taller than Bioshock 2 in terms of quality and memorable first person experience. Bioshock 1, even today, can be played and still realized as a terrific peice of art and horror.

These are five of the biggest older titles of this gen that seem to still stand as terrific, mind blowing titles even with the new titles that may have surpassed their technology after their releases... do you agree with these five titles, and what other titles of this gen are older but still the best of the best.

I almost agree with everything except Gears of War 2 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I enjoyed both games but there are better ones out there. Lost Odyssey, Dead Space and Killzone 2 (mostly the graphics) would be some of my choices.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I feel that the great games are spread apart - such as Skyrim surpassing Oblivion.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Ragnarok1051
Are you serious
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

MGS4, Uncharted 2, Twilight Princess, and more.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Devil May Cry 4 from 2008 stands out for me

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
a good game is a good game.. no matter when it was released.. cod 1 > black ops uncharted 2 > #1 God of war > 3 SSF4 > SF4 Resistance > 2
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

Dead or Alive 4 - I remember playing this at launch and thinking, wow, if this is what fighter are offering at launch, cant wait to see 3-4 years in! A shame not one dev has matched the features.

Blue Dragon - You may not like the game but it proves jrpgs can have great looking world maps

PGR3/4
Eledees

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Lost Odyssey as best JRPG and Crackdown as funnest co-op sandbox. :P

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

PGR3. the first game i bought this gen the day both it and the 360 came out. for online racing i think it has yet to be bettered. many many many hours spent playing cat and mouse round the nurburgring or racing round the embnkment in london.

Hickamie14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hickamie14
Member since 2007 • 1652 Posts

-Bioshock Original

-Portal

-Gears of War (It was like Christmas Day when I first played this game, the graphics were unreal!)

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I strongly disagree.

MGS4 was decent and cool but personally, I'm glad they wrapped up that story. I doubt I would have been interested in a MGS5 and I am glad they are now going to pursue different games/ideas from within that world. But the whole Snake stealth gameplay was getting really old to me.

SSBB? I hated the last Smash Brothers but still decided to give this one a chance. I regret that decision. I've maybe played the game for an hour or two since it launched.

Bioshock 1 I will give the benefit of the doubt. However, I bought the game when it came to PS3 and by that time the graphics were outdated, the style was no longer fresh and that actually took a LOT away from the game. It was still an okay game, but I truly believe the vast majority of hype and praise for the game was purely because it was "the right game at the right time" and not necessarily because it is as great as people want to believe it was.

Oblivion - I was actually disappointed with Oblivion. I found it kind of dull, to be honest, with lackluster graphics. I would have rather it been a more traditional WRPG instead of trying to action it up the way they did.

I agree that the start of the gen had some excellent games, but I still love Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption,Dead Space, New Super Mario Bros,Dragon's Age and Heavy Rain and so on. And that doesn't even touch on some big games coming out like Last Guardian, LA Noir, and many many others. I'm actually looking forward to what the next couple years will bring and considering how long into this gen we are, I think that says a lot.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

btw....I love condemned.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Mirrors Edge.. such an awesome game with amazing soundtrack

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

CoD 1

iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

HATERS GONA HATE! :o

BEST game this GEN!

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Crysis World in Conflict Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl The Witcher Call of Duty 4 Portal Team Fortress 2 Half-life episode 2 Damn 2007 was such an awesome year :D
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

a good game is a good game.. no matter when it was released..campzor

I co-sign this, and by saying that, you've just made me respect you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the topic, and strictly speaking only for this generation:

DMC 4 >>>> your favorite Action - Hack n' Slash game.

Crysis is still the best looking game ever, modded. But since mods are a PC feature, then sure as hell i'm gonna use my PC feature.

Bioshock 1 is a System Shock 2 clone done right. So i agree with the thread starter.

CoD4 >>>>>>>> your favorite CoD game from this generation.

Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

Gets way too much hate here IMO.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts
  1. Mother 3: My favorite JRPG this gen, my second favorite RPG this gen (beaten by The Witcher)
  2. Zelda Twilight Princess: While it felt a bit stangant, it was still an enjoyable experience, and I am a huge Zelda fan, which is why it is here.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy: It was definatley good enough for me to get all stars for it... 3 times.
  4. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition removed a lot of the bugs and the story and choices and consequences are top notch.
  5. The Burning Crusade: I would still argue that this is the best expansion pack for WoW. WotLK was utterly terrible, Cataclysm may end up beating TBC though.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

inb4crysis

Raymundo_Manuel

Even when Episode 2 is more worthy than the overrated HL2 as a FPS, hell no. Crysis is better. Even STALKER I would put above.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Team Fortress 2

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That is because newer games haven't had the chance to "stand the test of time" yet. Once they do, there is a chance they could surpass these ones... and you clearly haven't played every single game this gen, so you really can't say which ones are "best."

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Call of Duty United Offensive.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#41 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

MGS4 is the biggest one that comes to mind. I can't see it being topped by many games in my entire lifetime.