Official TOMB RAIDER Hype Thread (8.5 @ GS, Final Hours ep.6)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#251 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]Heavy Rain was a lot of fun. I prefer Laura Croft to the chick in Heavy Rain though. The shower scene was pretty good though ;)

RyanShazam

Lara Croft > Most other characters indeed. Dat shower scene, time to go re-watch it.

Good luck getting through the intro of that game again. I couldnt do it haha I guess thats what the internet is for though ;)

I meant on the Internet :P.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#252 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

I think it comes down to circumstances forcing Lara into confrontations she would rather avoid. At first she's on the radio asking Conrad to rescue her, only to find out he's injured and has to go to him, with the enemy encounters she must overcome to get to him. Then there's Sam who she must rescue, and so on, where it falls on Lara to put the needs of the crew before her own desire for safety.

But yeah I do see how measured pacing of avoid to confront could have deepened the impact of Lara needing to kill.

RyanShazam

That's all fine and dandy, but I think I'll have a hard time buying the "The decision to kill someone is a major thing for her" when she's going to kill hundreds of people on this island and walk it off like a female version of Nathan Drake. I mean, come on. I know video games struggle with this sh!t all the time, but there was a really easy way to deal with it in this game, and they just opted not to do it.

She needs 3 kils to become a Croft... Oh wait lol

Made you feel it, did he? Don't worry, the second one is... *Bang* Yes, considerably.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#253 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Lara Croft > Most other characters indeed. Dat shower scene, time to go re-watch it.Michael0134567

Good luck getting through the intro of that game again. I couldnt do it haha I guess thats what the internet is for though ;)

That works! Enjoy lol HAHAHAHA

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] That's all fine and dandy, but I think I'll have a hard time buying the "The decision to kill someone is a major thing for her" when she's going to kill hundreds of people on this island and walk it off like a female version of Nathan Drake. I mean, come on. I know video games struggle with this sh!t all the time, but there was a really easy way to deal with it in this game, and they just opted not to do it.DarkLink77

She needs 3 kils to become a Croft... Oh wait lol

Made you feel it, did he? Don't worry, the second one is... *Bang* Yes, considerably.

Very nice! My favorite Bond movie. Havent seen Skyfall yet though :(

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]Good luck getting through the intro of that game again. I couldnt do it haha I guess thats what the internet is for though ;)

RyanShazam

I will ;) :P.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] I meant on the Internet :P.Michael0134567

There is also the scene with the seduction in the club ;) Dont forget that one.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

RyanShazam

There is also the scene with the seduction in the club ;) Dont forget that one.

Damn, another one :P.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#258 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Right on schedule, IGN has posted their video going into the tombs that encompass exploration and puzzle solving. First 3 minutes goes into a "tomb like" experience that we saw before at E3, showing some of the weight and pully systems. Then they get into a totally NEW hidden tomb, one of those that are off the main story path.

And don't worry, they don't go through the entire run the tomb, they show the entry and skip to the treasure at the end. So no spoilers as how to solve the puzzles therin :) This, THIS is the stuff we've been waiting for, the heart of what makes this Tomb Raider :D :D

Tombalicious

And don't forget tomrrow is the feature on the new upgrade system.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#259 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Not bad, Adobe, not bad at all. Can't wait until your Adobe skills actually get more material to use. This'll be fun to see then.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#260 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Puzzles in a Tomb Raider game? My god. By the way I love that they brought back the challenge tomb concept from Guardian of Light. Though in GOL they weren't exactly hidden. That game so deserves a sequel.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Not bad, Adobe, not bad at all. Can't wait until your Adobe skills actually get more material to use. This'll be fun to see then.Blabadon

Do you mean more screen shots of the game for me to play with?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Puzzles in a Tomb Raider game? My god. By the way I love that they brought back the challenge tomb concept from Guardian of Light. Though in GOL they weren't exactly hidden. That game so deserves a sequel.

burgeg

Guardian of Light was a real surprise gem considering how they took a radically different approach with Lara in that one. I was always accostomed to the 3D acrobatic platforming and exploration that defined the series, but this piqued my curiosity with what other spin-offs might be possible with the character.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not bad, Adobe, not bad at all. Can't wait until your Adobe skills actually get more material to use. This'll be fun to see then.AdobeArtist

Mainly headers, text, all that jazz. Something like the Halo 4 thread.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Still interested in this title.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not bad, Adobe, not bad at all. Can't wait until your Adobe skills actually get more material to use. This'll be fun to see then.Blabadon

But I already haz header for thread :|

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

DO IT AGAIN!
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

I meant the stuff like "THE FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW" and "Previews"

Usually the Adobe-excelled users make these into their own designs, know what I mean?

Basically like:

Halo4-3.png

or

create.php?text=FEATURES&name=GODOFWAR.t.

What I'm saying is that I can't wait for this thread to become even more Tomb Raiderish with your Adobe skills.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Now we get to see how the new levelling system works in the latest IGN video

Multiple trees from survival, to hunter, to melee, as well as gear upgrading, each with tiers that one has to be completed to get to unlock the next. This also shows the fast travel between base camps. Check it out.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 burgeg

So friggin hyped for this game now. Easily my second most anticipated game of 2013 behind GTA V. That's impressive considering just last week my hype was pretty damn low. The E3 conference this year pretty much killed my hype and had me thinking the game was purely going for the cinematic experience and dumbing the gameplay down for the Uncharted crowd. But the new gameplay we got this week completely turned things around. This is gonna be the ultimate Tomb Raider.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

ohh hai adobe. I see you stilll have your old sig.... :twisted:

on topic. Meh Its just uncharted with boobs. THat or uncharted is tombraider without boobs either way, nothing special.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 burgeg

on topic. Meh Its just uncharted with boobs. THat or uncharted is tombraider without boobs either way, nothing special.

Jonwh18

Uncharted doesn't have any room for exploration. The platforming in Tomb Raider isn't garbage and serves reasons other than pacing. Tomb Raider has puzzles that aren't terrible. Hell, even the combat has a different feel to Uncharted from what we've seen. Plus the entire tone of the story is completely different. I'm sorry, these kinda posts were understandable a week ago, but after the new gameplay we've been treated to this week these posts have absolutely no basis whatsoever.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Jonwh18

More like Uncharted is the linear and scripted Tomb Raider without the puzzle solving :P

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

Multiple trees from survival, to hunter, to melee, as well as gear upgrading, each with tiers that one has to be completed to get to unlock the next. This also shows the fast travel between base camps. Check it out.

AdobeArtist
Ive been rolling with Lara since TR5 (Chronicles) and so far my only complaint was the new engine used in Underworld. Anyways I was immediately upset with the inclusion of Character Progression, i understand it resonates remarkably great with Lara's Journey but this effect is novel and only dazzles during the first playthrough in many other RPG-Hybrids. And therefore i wont be getting the new TR. Whats your take these new elements ?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Lulekani

Ive been rolling with Lara since TR5 (Chronicles) and so far my only complaint was the new engine used in Underworld. Anyways I was immediately upset with the inclusion of Character Progression, i understand it resonates remarkably great with Lara's Journey but this effect is novel and only dazzles during the first playthrough in many other RPG-Hybrids. And therefore i wont be getting the new TR. Whats your take these new elements ?

I can pretty much say that a levelling system wouldn't have worked in the old TR games where Lara was already fully developed. But for this game in this chapter in Lara's life, where she's just beginning, it fits the theme of Lara growing and discovering her potential. Where they go in the next game after she's mastered her skills remains to be seen.

And for those who missed the previous material of the IGN week, here's a recap.

1 HR Live Feed
Tombs of Tomb Raider

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
AA
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#276 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

two tities out of ten.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

I can pretty much say that a levelling system wouldn't have worked in the old TR games where Lara was already fully developed. But for this game in this chapter in Lara's life, where she's just beginning, it fits the theme of Lara growing and discovering her potential. Where they go in the next game after she's mastered her skills remains to be seen.

And for those who missed the previous material of the IGN week, here's a recap.

1 HR Live Feed
Tombs of Tomb Raider

I gues you're right. Plus since its an origin series it only makes much more sense that way.
ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

Tomb Raider and Gears of War are my biggest 2013 games i want

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 AdobeArtist  Moderator

In IGN's continuing expose on Tomb Raider, they've just launched an episodic segment on the Survival Guide, for which Episode 1 is now live. I'm not even sure how many episodes this will be in total, but the first on gets into the resourcefulness of Lara, giving an overview of skill levelling, gear upgrading, and how the elements (fire, water, and even wind) is central to the puzzle design.

You should see how brutal she gets using the climbing axe as a weapon, plus arrows can also be used as close range stabbing weapons, not just ammo for the ranged combat. Definitely worth the watch :)

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Adobe, you lose a bet?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Adobe, you lose a bet?

Cheleman

You betcha :D

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Adobe, you lose a bet?

AdobeArtist

ohyou_zpsd249ad33.png

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Eidos(now Square-Enix EU) has to have the worst PR department ever. This is the third game with terrible word of mouth, until they've actually shown the good parts of game, which leads to people becoming interested.

First Was DE:HR. Pretty much everybody wrote the game off as garbage, until the first 1/3 of the game leaked. Then people actually started to hype it.

Then Hitman Absolution. It was pretty much getting sh*t on, until they released the Chinatown video.

Now it's Tomb Raider. Now this time everybody wrote it off as an Uncharted clone, until they actually released some gameplay showing otherwise.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Your sig, sir... your sig.:(

About TR, this last video was amazing. The game is really looking outstanding.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Eidos(now Square-Enix EU) has to have the worst PR department ever. This is the third game with terrible word of mouth, until they've actually shown the good parts of game, which leads to people becoming interested.

First Was DE:HR. Pretty much everybody wrote the game off as garbage, until the first 1/3 of the game leaked. Then people actually started to hype it.

Then Hitman Absolution. It was pretty much getting sh*t on, until they released the Chinatown video.

Now it's Tomb Raider. Now this time everybody wrote it off as an Uncharted clone, until they actually released some gameplay showing otherwise.

Thefatness16

While first impressions are usually key, sometimes the conclusion of the presentation leaves a longer lasting impression :D

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Adobe, you lose a bet?

AdobeArtist

:lol:
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 burgeg

Thefatness16

Eh, at least people always knew the game existed. That alone puts it above the pathetic marketing of Sega these days.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Adobe, you lose a bet?

AdobeArtist

Sigh... :(

And for a moment there, I actually thought you finally opened your eyes about the ME mediocrity! :twisted:

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
Your sig, Adobe! People with hot chicks in their sig should not be allowed to make bets that can affect the state of their sig.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#290 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I can't wait for 5th of March.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Your sig, Adobe! People with hot chicks in their sig should not be allowed to make bets that can affect the state of their sig.freedomfreak

April Cheryse, Lara Croft, Cortana, the DOA ladies, and many others will return. Mark my words :cool:

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Your sig, Adobe! People with hot chicks in their sig should not be allowed to make bets that can affect the state of their sig.AdobeArtist

April Cheryse, Lara Croft, Cortana, the DOA ladies, and many others will return. Mark my words :cool:

They better :x For how long is this?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Your sig, Adobe! People with hot chicks in their sig should not be allowed to make bets that can affect the state of their sig.freedomfreak

One month. :P I get released on Jan 14th.

[spoiler] assuming the world is still around next year ;) :lol: [/spoiler]

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

One month. :P I get released on Jan 14th.

[spoiler] assuming the world is still around next year ;) :lol: [/spoiler]

What? So, the world will end with you having a sig like that? I'd be furious :P
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Your sig, Adobe! People with hot chicks in their sig should not be allowed to make bets that can affect the state of their sig.AdobeArtist

Thank you so much.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 AdobeArtist  Moderator

So now that we've gone through this IGN week of coverage that gave us an extensive look at real LIVE gameplay of Tomb Raider with more insight than what the cineamtic trailers afforded, seems like an ideal time to really examine the whole Uncharted debate of Tomb Raider.

Which brings us to a new poll. It must be said that the videos (which have now been updated in the OP) really need to be viewed when deliberating on the subject. For convenience the relevant videos are presented below.

1hr Live Feed
The Tombs of TR
Upgrading Lara Croft (levelling system)
IGN Survival Guide (levelling, combat, and puzzles)

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 burgeg

Anybody that still thinks this game is an Uncharted clone or anything close to that cannot be taken seriously. Anybody that still thinks that is simply biased against this game. There is no argument anyone could come up with to back that Uncharted clone crap up.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Your sig, Adobe! People with hot chicks in their sig should not be allowed to make bets that can affect the state of their sig.Michael0134567

Thank you so much.

You're welcome :cool:

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

Thank you so much.

You're welcome :cool:

I finally have some faith in humanity :P.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Anybody that still thinks this game is an Uncharted clone or anything close to that cannot be taken seriously. Anybody that still thinks that is simply biased against this game. There is no argument anyone could come up with to back that Uncharted clone crap up.

burgeg

Thank you. You have restored my faith in humanity. The world will not end in 5 days :P