Official TOMB RAIDER Hype Thread (8.5 @ GS, Final Hours ep.6)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2101 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Look, I've given the concession that the new Tomb Raider took a queue from Uncharted in cinematic presentation (and to some extent combat, while keeping its own design in exploration and puzzles). But you can really tell me you don't see how Uncharted came about because of Tomb Raider? It carries the very same theme of a world travelling treasure hunter and now you would assert this is just a coincidence? Sure there's Indiana Jones, but games more often take their inspiration from within their own media, so it can't be denied that a video game about an exporer (Tomb Raider) was an influence for Naughty Dog to come up with Uncharted.

There are two ways to look at this:

* Both Tomb Raider and Uncharted both borrowed from Indiana Jones, each in their own way, or...

* considering Tomb Raider came first and was first to implement the Indiana Jones formula in 3D gaming form, Uncharted in succession took inspiration from Indy, but through TR in how to create it in gaming context for action and platforming, in which they adapted their own approach.

You might suggest the first proposition, but video games don't exist in a void. Tomb Raider already had a firmly established presence in the gaming landscape, so for that to be unnoticed by ND in concepting their own IP is highly improbable.

Oh and guess this is once again relevant :P

lara_vs_drake

AdobeArtist

I agree with most of what you said except the outlined green bit. If you have played Crash Bandicoot 1-3 especially Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, you would see that ND already was familair with the Indiana jones concept of travelling in search of treasure. Also Uncharted bears way more similarity to that game in all the variables you mentioned so no, Uncharted didnt borrow much if anything at all from Tomb Raider of the past

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2102 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

My results:

Old:

jblUaqP3koixOc.png

New:

jbqdFbjKhHh7w8.png

These new drivers and patches are amazing!

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2103 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts

Normally I'm a cynical SOB when it comes to vidya, but holy **** I enjoyed this game! I thought it was better than Uncharted 2, which was my last favorite TPS adventure game in this style. Easily one of the best TPS I've played to date. Had great environments, smooth as butter gameplay, the AI was good.....

Only a few things disappointed me. Tombs were too easy and too few, the difficulty in general was kind of easy, and QTEs really needs to get the **** out of gaming. The PC version didn't even warn you when it switches between F and E to spam in a certain scene in the beginning and I died like 5 times because of it. It's not fun and it's a dumb mechanic. Other than that it's a wonderful game. Deserves a 9.5 easily.