Official TOMB RAIDER Hype Thread (8.5 @ GS, Final Hours ep.6)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#101 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Looking forward to it! But I am gonna wait for a Steam sale to purchase it ;)

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]Adobe. are you get Collekters uhdishin? I'd get a collector's edition of my love interest. AdobeArtist

oh-you

:D Here's to hoping for a one handed control layout in the options menu.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I sense a massive disappointment incoming. Too much rape and drama, not enough exploration.Zeviander

Long time fan of the series and my hype is low, and diminishing every time they talk about the game. The Tomb Raider series always centered on platforming mechanics to solve large, unforgiving environmental puzzles, with occasional battles against creatures/baddies and the odd "Boss Fight" thrown in. This game seems hellbent on reversing that, with a much larger focus on battles (I swear if I hear the devs drone on about gunplay one more time I'm gonna cry), with precious little puzzle solving to be found, and often pushed to the optional small tomb you can discover while hunting/battling bad guys/QTEs.... Basically everything the series is NOT.

It's sad, because Tomb Raider NEEDED a reboot, a return to its core after years of tacked on extras, devolving controls, and storyline that grew increasingly absurd. Instead this game seems a Tomb Raider in name only. Instead of focusing on the core concepts of the series, they've chosen to take a "me too" approach of apeing the trendy concepts of modern gaming and slapping their name on it. Maybe it'll be a good game for what it is, but whatever it is, it ain't Tomb Raider.

...Great Job on the thread though! :)

santoron

If you haven't already seen the CVG video in the OP, it showcases only a small piece of the exploration in the new Tomb Raider, and should dispel the myth that this is an "Uncharted Clone", as the scripted moments are only a small portion of tyhe overall gameplay experience. There are numerous hidden tombs that can only be found by exploring off the path of the main story.

As for combat, that has always been a part of the TR games, just that it was always very clunky even given the outdated lock-on system. So of course with the revamped combat being far more polished, the devs are going to want to give exposure to the feature of TR that has been improved where it was needed most from the old games.

That said, the exploration and puzzle solving hasn't been forsaken in this new vision of Lara. It manages to improve where it was needed (combat), and still retaining the exploration and puzzle solving pillars of the series. It should be seen as win/win :)

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 AdobeArtist  Moderator

wheres the exclusive content for the ps3 version??PinnacleGamingP

No such luck here. There are no system exclusives except for the early DLC release on 360, which the others get about a month later anyway.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

If you haven't already seen the CVG video in the OP, it showcases only a small piece of the exploration in the new Tomb Raider, and should dispel the myth that this is an "Uncharted Clone", as the scripted moments are only a small portion of tyhe overall gameplay experience. There are numerous hidden tombs that can only be found by exploring off the path of the main story.

As for combat, that has always been a part of the TR games, just that it was always very clunky even given the outdated lock-on system. So of course with the revamped combat being far more polished, the devs are going to want to give exposure to the feature of TR that has been improved where it was needed most from the old games.

That said, the exploration and puzzle solving hasn't been forsaken in this new vision of Lara. It manages to improve where it was needed (combat), and still retaining the exploration and puzzle solving pillars of the series. It should be seen as win/win :)AdobeArtist

I agree that combat was never very good in the series, it's just that it didn't much matter, because there was little of it in the games. I can't complain about them deciding to improve a lagging portion of the game mechanics, but they didn't just improve combat, they also greatly increased the importance and frequency of combat, which (IMVHO) is an unwelcome departure from what makes a TR game in the first place.

I love the idea of the hidden tombs. As a fan of exploration, the idea of being rewarded with extra content sounds awesome. But the recent write up over at Eurogamer (Link) seems to assert that - at least as far as the fist couple of hours are concerned - that they represent just about ALL of the puzzle-platforming available in the game, which reinforces my initial concern: instead of a game about puzzles and platforming with some fighting sequences thrown in, we now have a shooter/RPG with some optional puzzles for those who go looking.:( The article also doesn't paint those tombs as much of a challenge, which, ugh.

Of course, we won't know how the game develops until release, but there's very little out there right now to allay my concerns. There isn't a game coming that I want to be wrong about more, but the recent previews (also thinking of the most recent GS article) make it difficult to ignore the warning signs. Not that I can't see people liking the game, I just can't see devoted fans of he series believing it's really a TR game at all.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Im looking forward to not to play this gamesukraj

you're loss buddy

his are loss

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
"Now brandishing the M rating, the series takes a much darker and atmospheric tone" :lol:
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]If you haven't already seen the CVG video in the OP, it showcases only a small piece of the exploration in the new Tomb Raider, and should dispel the myth that this is an "Uncharted Clone", as the scripted moments are only a small portion of tyhe overall gameplay experience. There are numerous hidden tombs that can only be found by exploring off the path of the main story.

That said, the exploration and puzzle solving hasn't been forsaken in this new vision of Lara. It manages to improve where it was needed (combat), and still retaining the exploration and puzzle solving pillars of the series. It should be seen as win/win :)santoron

I agree that combat was never very good in the series, it's just that it didn't much matter, because there was little of it in the games. I can't complain about them deciding to improve a lagging portion of the game mechanics, but they didn't just improve combat, they also greatly increased the importance and frequency of combat, which (IMVHO) is an unwelcome departure from what makes a TR game in the first place.

I love the idea of the hidden tombs. As a fan of exploration, the idea of being rewarded with extra content sounds awesome. But the recent write up over at Eurogamer (Link) seems to assert that - at least as far as the fist couple of hours are concerned - that they represent just about ALL of the puzzle-platforming available in the game, which reinforces my initial concern: instead of a game about puzzles and platforming with some fighting sequences thrown in, we now have a shooter/RPG with some optional puzzles for those who go looking.:( The article also doesn't paint those tombs as much of a challenge, which, ugh.

Of course, we won't know how the game develops until release, but there's very little out there right now to allay my concerns. There isn't a game coming that I want to be wrong about more, but the recent previews (also thinking of the most recent GS article) make it difficult to ignore the warning signs. Not that I can't see people liking the game, I just can't see devoted fans of he series believing it's really a TR game at all.

The problem is, we're only seeing small portions in these previews, and of course it's easier to showcase those flashy action sequences for trailers. Which leads to a lot of people jumping to conclusions that those brief minutes of exposure are now representative of the entire gameplay. It's hard to say now just how much the combat and the exploration comprises the total gaming experience, especially based on short video bursts.

But in the interviews the devs made it clear they remember what it is that made the Tomb Raider games - the exploration and puzzles. They do want to emphasise that this is still central to the experience of this new game, though admittedly, thay haven't shown as much of it in their live coverage, save for the CVG video and there's an IGN clip focusing on the hunting survival.

But again, I chalk that up to them wanting to show where the series was improved where it was needed most, the combat mechanics, because they want to send the message to the gaming community - this series that has been around for three generations is up to modern standards.

--

Oh and jyst so you know, I updated the 2nd post with the previews from Gamespot, Eurogamer, and 1UP. Plus I was given some interesting info that PC Gamer is offering vouchers for 35% off on a selection of games, that includes TR.

Plus, a heads up that Spike VGA has an exclusive coverage of Tomb Raider tonight.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Well Adobe, your hype thread brought back mild interest in this reboot, will keep an eye on it.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#110 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I agree that combat was never very good in the series, it's just that it didn't much matter, because there was little of it in the games.

santoron
So true. Take the original Tomb Raider (and the remake) for example: you're exploring a massive cavern, and out of the blue, a massive T-Rex freaks the bejeezus out of you. I'm in the mood for raiding tombs at this point, not getting tactical with a dino. Let me just shoot an unlimited stream of bullets into the fvcker, give me my adrenaline highs, and let me continue with the treasure hunting. I didn't sign up to question the morality of killing bad guys.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I HAVE DEPTH AND CHARECTAR BECAUSE I CRY.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 FrozenLiquid

OB-47
AND HAVE LESS BOOBS.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

FrozenLiquid

AND HAVE LESS BOOBS.

I don't know which is worse. This, or Sniper's diatribe on "manly & hardcore" games. :roll::roll:

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#114 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts

She kills just about everyone that comes on screen, reminds me of the mass murderer Drake. :P

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#115 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I wouldn't really call myself a fan. I only ever played Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. I liked Legend, I couldn't get into Anniversary and I thought Underworld was okay. I think the new one looks pretty good.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

She kills just about everyone that comes on screen, reminds me of the mass murderer Drake. :P

Tropicalshower
so much for "her first kill really weights on her personality". actually, maybe i'm getting it wrong. the devs were right. she liked murdering so much that she became a complete psycho.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I sense a massive disappointment incoming. Too much rape and drama, not enough exploration.AdobeArtist

Long time fan of the series and my hype is low, and diminishing every time they talk about the game. The Tomb Raider series always centered on platforming mechanics to solve large, unforgiving environmental puzzles, with occasional battles against creatures/baddies and the odd "Boss Fight" thrown in. This game seems hellbent on reversing that, with a much larger focus on battles (I swear if I hear the devs drone on about gunplay one more time I'm gonna cry), with precious little puzzle solving to be found, and often pushed to the optional small tomb you can discover while hunting/battling bad guys/QTEs.... Basically everything the series is NOT.

It's sad, because Tomb Raider NEEDED a reboot, a return to its core after years of tacked on extras, devolving controls, and storyline that grew increasingly absurd. Instead this game seems a Tomb Raider in name only. Instead of focusing on the core concepts of the series, they've chosen to take a "me too" approach of apeing the trendy concepts of modern gaming and slapping their name on it. Maybe it'll be a good game for what it is, but whatever it is, it ain't Tomb Raider.

...Great Job on the thread though! :)

santoron

That said, the exploration and puzzle solving hasn't been forsaken in this new vision of Lara. It manages to improve where it was needed (combat), and still retaining the exploration and puzzle solving pillars of the series. It should be seen as win/win :)

Why is the guy in the video talking like someone having a gunpoint in their head?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="Tropicalshower"]

BrunoBRS
so much for "her first kill really weights on her personality". actually, maybe i'm getting it wrong. the devs were right. she liked murdering so much that she became a complete psycho.

:lol: I love it!
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#120 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

After the VGAs trailer I'm even more hyped

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#121 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Adobe. are you get Collekters uhdishin? I'd get a collector's edition of my love interest. NAPK1NS
:lol:

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts

[QUOTE="Tropicalshower"]

BrunoBRS

Well put. :lol:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Tropicalshower"]

DarkLink77

:lol: I love it!

would definitely put a twist for the better regarding the story, since the gameplay doesn't seem to want to follow suit with the original plot.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

AdobeArtist

AND HAVE LESS BOOBS.

I don't know which is worse. This, or Sniper's diatribe on "manly & hardcore" games. :roll::roll:

Dude, seriously, come off it. Not that reputation means anything on these boards, but because OB-47 and I made jibes at your favourite video game character, you had to throw us in with someone like Sniper? Did our criticism of Lara Croft really piss you off that much? I don't think I've ever made comment on these boards to you in the way I have right now, Adobe, but that really weird knee-jerk reaction deserves calling out. It's not like many of the Tomb Raider previews have been exactly glowing, either.
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
laura a cheap prositute
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] AND HAVE LESS BOOBS.FrozenLiquid

Dude, seriously, come off it. Not that reputation means anything on these boards, but because OB-47 and I made jibes at your favourite video game character, you had to throw us in with someone like Sniper? Did our criticism of Lara Croft really piss you off that much? I don't think I've ever made comment on these boards to you in the way I have right now, Adobe, but that really weird knee-jerk reaction deserves calling out. It's not like many of the Tomb Raider previews have been exactly glowing, either.

There have been some honest and constructive criticisms on the game, that I can take in stride, like the emphasis on action. So yeah I can take jabs at my favourite character, don't gt me wrong about that. But that (even as hyperbole), I mean it honestly really reminded me of his posting style, I'm sorry but it did :P

But I'm sorry man, you're actually one of the more articulate posters around here, and I shouldn't have gone there :oops:

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Why is the guy in the video talking like someone having a gunpoint in their head?lordlors

That's how game journalism works these days, you don't praise your game enough, you're never heard from again! :P

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 AdobeArtist  Moderator

For those who missed it, here's the Spike VGA Trailer

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] AND HAVE LESS BOOBS.FrozenLiquid

Talk about being able to give but not able to take. Damn dude you just went on a hissy fit because after you gave him a jab about the game he gives you a jab back.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#130 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

After the VGAs trailer I'm even more hyped

HaloPimp978

to me it was the other way around, the new trailer killed the small interest I had in the game... I really don't like this new Lara. She looks weak, she sounds weak and the gritty mood feels so tacky and cheesy. Chloe from Uncharted would have made a much better Lara than this new Lara. Seriously.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

For those who missed it, here's the Spike VGA Trailer

AdobeArtist

crybabyv.pngLara without her big boobs is like Mario without his plumber hat, man.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Watched the trailer again. Dear lord, I want it all, I need it all. Looks great.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Watched the trailer again. Dear lord, I want it all, I need it all. Looks great.freedomfreak

Have I told you I find this to be your best sig yet?

I mean, every one is great, but this one's just... special! :oops:

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Watched the trailer again. Dear lord, I want it all, I need it all. Looks great.Rocker6

Have I told you I find this to be your best sig yet?

I mean, every one is great, but this one's just... special! :oops:

I might just write down every user's favorite sig of mine :P Thanks. It's very good cosplay. Had to put it up after seeing the trailer.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Freedom, you'll love THIS with Jenn ;)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 freedomfreak

Freedom, you'll love THIS with Jenn ;)

AdobeArtist
That was insanely sexy. Best elevator ride ever.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#138 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

A muddy Lara? Awesome.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 freedomfreak

A muddy Lara? Awesome.

Michael0134567
She could get Dirty in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld :o. Not as dirty as this though.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

A muddy Lara? Awesome.

freedomfreak
She could get Dirty in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld :o. Not as dirty as this though.

Yeah I saw that in Underworld. It was awesome.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

A muddy Lara? Awesome.

Michael0134567

It was a nice touch, definitely.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] She could get Dirty in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld :o. Not as dirty as this though.freedomfreak

I'd like to see that while wearing one of the Beneath the Ashes bikini's :oops:.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Yeah I saw that in Underworld. It was awesome.Michael0134567

I'd like to see that while wearing one of the Beneath the Ashes bikini's :oops:.

You can :o I think. I mean, you'll still get dirty wearing that. Haven't tried it though, but it makes sense.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] It was a nice touch, definitely.freedomfreak

You can :o I think. I mean, you'll still get dirty wearing that. Haven't tried it though, but it makes sense.

More reason to buy it :P.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] I'd like to see that while wearing one of the Beneath the Ashes bikini's :oops:.Michael0134567

I can check out it later.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] You can :o I think. I mean, you'll still get dirty wearing that. Haven't tried it though, but it makes sense.

Nah, you don't have to.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] More reason to buy it :P.

Nah, you don't have to.

Alrighty. I'll check it out eventually. I'm planning on playing through them again in anticipation for this game.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] I can check out it later.

Nah, you don't have to.

Alrighty. I'll check it out eventually. I'm planning on playing through them again in anticipation for this game.

I said no :evil:.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Nah, you don't have to.

I won't you let you know, okay? :evil:
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Alrighty. I'll check it out eventually. I'm planning on playing through them again in anticipation for this game.

I won't you let you know, okay? :evil:

Lol what?