OFFICIAL: "Pitch an Idea for a New IP" Let's hear them!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

I hope this thread to have lots of pages!

Title says it all: It's a New Generation. Pretend you're a creative staff board member for a video game Studio and you guys are in your conference room and your boss has ordered everyone to pitch an idea. What would your idea be?

"It's simple...We kill the Batman..."

What's the storyline? (What's the conflict)

Who are the chracters?

What's the setting?

What's the world? (space, earth, mars,)

What's year or time does it take place? (The present, 2120, 1886)

What can your hero do?

What can your enemies do?

What platform(s) will it be on?

What developer would you sell the idea to?

What's the game called?

Let's go!

#2 Edited by freedomfreak (38639 posts) -

This is a bit too much.

#3 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Typo in title mate, *Quality.

#4 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27308 posts) -

Why would we need hype threads for games which have already been reviewed?

#6 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

Rome 2 (when its all patched up) + Chivalry: Medieval warfare

game plays exactly like rome 2 only you have the option to pick a soldier on the battlefield and control him

#7 Posted by PannicAtack (20922 posts) -

A military game where the main character is a pacifist who signed up as a medic. You have to treat people on the battlefield while not being killed by enemy soldiers.

#8 Posted by CyberLips (1807 posts) -

A military game where the main character is a pacifist who signed up as a medic. You have to treat people on the battlefield while not being killed by enemy soldiers.

How would the story progress? :/

#9 Edited by PannicAtack (20922 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@PannicAtack said:

Oh, in your standard action game format - you go on missions, things happen in missions and briefings and cutscenes. No particular ideas for making an original way of story presentation. It'd probably be fairly standard there, in terms of the mechanics. Though I'd hope it wouldn't have the same sort of over-scripted nature as the modern military shooter.

Due to the nature of the premise, it'd probably function better in a WWII or alternate universe setting than a modern one.

#10 Edited by CyberLips (1807 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@PannicAtack said:

Oh, in your standard action game format - you go on missions, things happen in missions and briefings and cutscenes. No particular ideas for making an original way of story presentation. It'd probably be fairly standard there, in terms of the mechanics. Though I'd hope it wouldn't have the same sort of over-scripted nature as the modern military shooter.

Due to the nature of the premise, it'd probably function better in a WWII or alternate universe setting than a modern one.

Maybe at some point he is captured and decides to treat the enemy soldiers while facing a moral dilemma. It would also be better in a third person view imo.

#11 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

A military modern day FPS where you kill loads of people. With guns.

Hope one day this gets made.

#12 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

A military modern day FPS where you kill loads of people. With guns.

Hope one day this gets made.

lol your 'grab a kneepad' always reminds me of wasted_wisdom

#13 Edited by PannicAtack (20922 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@CyberLips said:

@PannicAtack said:

Maybe at some point he is captured and decides to treat the enemy soldiers while facing a moral dilemma. It would also be better in a third person view imo.

It might be. Third-person view could be interesting, as we'd have a protagonist who doesn't necessarily represent the player. It'd be important to establish the protagonist as being their own individual in order to establish the premise, i.e. this is someone who doesn't shoot at people.

So it would be necessary to establish a protagonist with his own shtick, rather than a first-person blank slate ghost.

#14 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

The Last of Us 2-

Takes place 10 years into the future (but obviously time basically stood still since the out break, so there nothing futuristic about it.)

You play as 24 year old Eli who live with Joel and his brother in that Dam village they had set up.

She is married to a firefly dud and has a 3 yearold son.

She loves Joel as her father but has grown distant from ever since the final scene of the fist game.

This time around the Infection will also affect animals. Infected animal enemeis like Bears, dogs, mountain lions, elephants, etc.

The army is brutal than ever, FireFlies are almost wiped out. The Army is now interested in finding people that could possibly have the cure, ever since they found out what happened with Eli in the FireFly base in Utah.

Army is coming after Eli and her son.

Joel Kills Eli and her son at the end. Lies to the the army by telling them he is the cure.

#15 Posted by Joedgabe (5091 posts) -

A Fast paced adventure game based on dodging where you have to carefully time your chance to counter attack while dodging a barrage of attacks (that's not running around in circles waiting for an opportunity )

#16 Posted by CyberLips (1807 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@PannicAtack said:

@CyberLips said:

@PannicAtack said:

It might be. Third-person view could be interesting, as we'd have a protagonist who doesn't necessarily represent the player. It'd be important to establish the protagonist as being their own individual in order to establish the premise, i.e. this is someone who doesn't shoot at people.

So it would be necessary to establish a protagonist with his own shtick, rather than a first-person blank slate ghost.

Yes that's what i was thinking, like watching someone's life. It would be cool if the protagonist narrated his life and told stories about his life before the war.

Btw i feel like an ape talking to you, you sound like a very intelligent person.

#17 Posted by CyberLips (1807 posts) -

I always wanted to make a game about kids solving crimes in their neighborhood, it sounds silly i know. I also want to make a horror game. I feel like i know what scares people, every time i play a horror game i see missed opportunities, but i think devs just want to play it safe. I mean if it's too scary not many people will buy it. :/

#18 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

MMORPG with skill based dark souls style combat.

#19 Edited by Animal-Mother (26301 posts) -

The Last of Us 2-

Takes place 10 years into the future (but obviously time basically stood still since the out break, so there nothing futuristic about it.)

You play as 24 year old Eli who live with Joel and his brother in that Dam village they had set up.

She loves Joel as her father but has grown distant from ever since the final scene of the fist game.

This time around the Infection will also affect animals. Infected animal enemeis like Bears, dogs, mountain lions, elephants, etc.

The army is brutal than ever, FireFlies are almost wiped out. The Army is now interested in finding people that could possibly have the cure, ever since they found out what happened with Eli in the FireFly base in Utah.

Joel Kills Eli and her son at the end. Lies to the the army by telling them he is the cure.

Did you pay attention to any of the details in the last of us? Anybody eli comes into contact with intimately would be infected. Remember when she bites David and tells him he's infected?

#20 Edited by bobbetybob (19110 posts) -

Halo 6: The Masterchef's gotta do some bad stuff to some bad guys but the evil Ark of the Covenant wants their revenge for him killing their leader Sir Evilton at the end of Halo 5. Can Superchief and his new co-op sidekick Crash Bandicoot defeat the bad dudes with their sick skateboarding skills? Only you can finish the fight. Again. On Skateboards. With Tony Hawk. And Kinect.

#21 Posted by Netret0120 (1995 posts) -

A version of God of War from the point of view of Zues when he was hidden from the titans and his ride to the top would be nice

#23 Posted by PannicAtack (20922 posts) -

The Last of Us 2-

A sequel is not a new IP.

#24 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -
#25 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Ok, since you guys all suck at life. Let me give this a try.

Game Title: The Figment Paradox

What's the storyline? (What's the conflict)

The story is that you're a member of a team of elite psychology/philosophy detectives known as The Figment

In May year 2011, there was an impact on the earth's atmosphere from some sort of meteoric force that wasn't something you could physically touch or feel, but came crashing unto our atmosphere and screwed up the magnetic field. The force was codenamed GAMMA and it caused major catastrophe. Our gravity, our friction, our radiation and electromagnetic structure--everything was tampered with temporarily (planes couldn't fly, people couldn't swim, cars couldn't drive, just insane), until the earth was able to revcover around the middle of 2012, when the sky finally returned to the color blue from the orange, reddish, greenish flare the impact turned our sky into for almost a year.

The earth recovered and civilization is slowly being restored as of today, BUT...as an effect of the Gamma impulse, some people on earth had their mental states tampered with. About six percent of the world's population was affected all over the globe, and these people are called Drifters.

Drifters are like regular people but they're slowly losing their grip on reality. A drifter can't tell the difference between when he's asleep and when he's awake or between dreams and reality. A drifter's world is a blend of his imagination and his reality. For instance: If a Drifter is a gamer and he's playing Killzone Shadowfall, when he puts the controller down and goes out to the city park, he might start seeing the helghast landing in aircrafts and arresting an ISA agent who is just hanging out in the park as if it's any other day, and if this Drifter looks up to the Sky, he might see the Moon of the planet Helghast just blending calmly in the sky. BUT the drifter won't question this because HE DOESN'T KNOW IT'S NOT REALITY JUST LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW YOU'RE IN A DREAM WHEN YOU'RE DREAMING. The Conflict is that these drifters sometimes put people in danger and sometimes end up dying or killing or whatever bad consequences can occur, but since they're innocent victims and civilians who were just affected by the unfortunate event, the Law still has to protect them. So, for instance, if a guy is about to kill an innocent kid at the park because in his mind/dream the kid is an Helghan who just detonated a bomb in the city park and the guy thinks he's an ISA hero, The FIgment team will get called to this crime scene and using microchip, electromagnetic transistors, and over big words/advanced technology, their jobs are to virtually go into the culprit's mind/dream/perception and CONVINCE HIM THAT HE'S DREAMING.

Who are the chracters?

You play as Jason Scott Simon (or other cliche names), a late 20's Harvard graduate war/battle strategy analyst who lost his family the day of the gamma impulse that caused their airplane to fall out of the sky.

What's the setting? What's the world? (space, earth, mars,)

The Figments travel to every corner of the earth for cases.

Regular earth of today slowly healing her wounds. Our gravity/magnetic field aren't completely healed/restored yet so maybe this will affect the world design and possibly gameplay?

The gameplay world is whatever crazy alternate dimension the drifter is picturing, so there's no one set in stone scenario. You can be playing a mission of a drifter who thinks he's about to take the first step onto Mars, when he's only at the ledge of a hotel skyscraper roof, and then suddenly the guy's dream can change and he's in a high school hallway where the girl he likes comes up to tell him she likes him too. The game can literally delete the world around the Player and suddenly replace it with a completely different one. Imagine a scene where you're chasing after a Driter (who is dreaming that she's carrying her new born son and running from a lion in an African Jungle that wants to eat her son, when in reality she just snatched another woman's baby an is running through the streets of Los Angeles with the baby in her claws). The gameplay setting will change unexpected as it's altered by things happening in real life. So for instance in real life she's running through busy streets in a city so if her subconscious hears a car horn being sounded and engine sounds, the game world can suddenly change from her running from the lion in the jungle to her running through the bleachers around sports racing track, and when the world spawns around her, the audience go nuts and start running away from lion too, causing chaos. The world is constant to shift and change and it can happen anytime. Your character/player will remain the same and still have his same weapon and same clothes, but the world and atmosphere will suddenly dissolve into something else.

What's year or time does it take place? (The present, 2120, 1886)

Year 2015 sounds about realistic.

What can your hero do?

When the Figment team is in the mind of a reader and when you're playing as Scott, BE AWARE THAT ONCE THE FIGMENT ENTERS INTO THE ALTERED REALITY/DREAM THEY'RE ALSO VULNERABLE TO EVERYTHING HAPPEN IN THE ALTERED REALITY. Scott is very observant. THE GAMEPLAY WILL WORK WITH THE PHILOSOPHY THAT ACCORDING TO OUR DEFINITION OF THE WORD "DREAM" IN REALITY, THERE'S NO PROOF THAT LIFE ITSELF ISN'T A DREAM. AND THAT TECHNICALLY, ACCORDING TO THE DEFINITION OF BEING INSANE, WE'RE ALL INSANE.

SO, Scott has to convince the culprit in the dream that he is dreaming by looking for scenarios (not scenarios that AREN'T possible in our real world, but scenarios that aren't possible in the altered world) and things and clues around the dream/altered world to prove to the culprit that he's in a dream.

(TIP: This is a puzzle element of the gameplay because you have to look for things that are out of place in a place that isn't even based on reality to begin with, so the players perception is challenged, because to play the game, it's not about knowing what's happening in real life, but it's the challenge of pretending and making that altered world as real to you as it is to the drifter and going along with it) You have to figure out how a strange world works, and then also figure out what that strange world itself would acknowledge as strange.

So, it's a crime scene/puzzle solving game, but you also get a lot of combat because if the Drifer is, for instance, dreaming that his family is being attacked by group of home invaders, you WILL encounter the invaders and have to face them and you're as vulnerable to damage as you would be if it was all real. So, if the Drifter is dreaming that an innocent kid in the real world at the park is an Helghan terrorist, when you're in the Drifter's mind/altered reality, you will find yourself in a park that just faced an explosion and everyone is runnning and there are Helghan terrorrizing people, so you'll have to not only fight the helghan, but you'll have to make your way toward the Drifter, while searching for ways to convince him that the Helghan terrorist he has in his grip with a gun pointed isn't real and that he's dreaming!

What can your enemies do?

Your enemies can be aliens, creatures, mythological creatures, video game characters, movie characters...whatever your Drifter is dreaming about. They can either attack you if you they're out to attack the Drifter and you get between them, or they can attack the drifter, which you have to prevent, but you're just as vulnerable.

What platform(s) will it be on?

PS4 cause I'm a fanboy, and maybe on PC

What developer would you sell the idea to?

For a developer, honestly, the game is too immense and massive to be something masters like ND or Quantic Dream to handle alone. So guys like Bioware of Bethesda, or Square Enix would have to take it on.

#26 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38201 posts) -

A game like "I am legend" or "I am alive" where you have a fully interactive New York open world game.

The world would be apocalyptic like TLOU or again I am Legend and buildings would be falling over and empty streets covered in grass and unused cars

You would be scrounging for supplies all the time trying to survive

But as well as the genweric human encounters there would also be huge monsters roaming around that caused the devestation like the Colossi from SotC or like Cloverfield

These monsters would be random and dynamic meaning they could burst through an area while you were fighting normal human enemies where you then have to work together to get away.

#27 Posted by musicalmac (22810 posts) -

Is that you, Peter? After your mobile cube tapping game, are you plum out of ideas?

#28 Posted by Ghost120x (3680 posts) -

Cool Ideas so far. Here is mine:

A third person survival game that has single player and co-op. Its purpose is to show the true horror of being alone and separated from civilization.

it starts with a plane crash on some island (which is randomized for each player) and what you do after that is completely up to you. There would be no hand holding and the game will be so deep that it will have a huge wiki page of gamers talking about difrent combinations of items and helpful tips on not getting killed. You only get one life and you have to start over and its pretty easy to die (by natives? Animals, high falls Eating poisonous things ect) What's really cool is real survival tips might actually work if you try them out. There will be no guns of any kind. (or is there?)

here are a few things you can do:

• follow a minimalistic story line with the other AI computers that were also on the plane. Which each one are different every time and have unique personality traits ect. Following this story will be advised for beginners) By watching them do things you can pick up tips on how to make stuff. Beware because not everyone is your friend and may betray you at some point, so look out for selfish personalities.
  • You could start a journey to find a very secret (somewhat cryptic) entrance to a special temple to find riches. (it is full of traps so those who like solving puzzles and are good at the game can try this.
  • You could find one of the several endings and find one of the many ways to escape
  • You can attempt to become the ruler of the island natives
  • Discover a top secret government operation
  • Attempt to hunt/or capture all of the mythical creatures on the island
#29 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Persona

#30 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

I think my idea is amazing.

#31 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Was this thread made with the sole intention of posting a game idea you thought of?

#32 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@lx_theo said:

@John_Matherson said:

Was this thread made with the sole intention of posting a game idea you thought of?

No this thread was actually a completely different thread as you can see from the top two responses. But I actually just had that idea and I just went crazy typing it cause it just came to me.

#33 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

The Last of Us 2-

Did you pay attention to any of the details in the last of us? Anybody eli comes into contact with intimately would be infected. Remember when she bites David and tells him he's infected?

Thats what she said to scare him, but there was never any indication or anything said about her making others infected. The game doesnt say at anytime that she is capable of infecting people by coming in contact at all.

#34 Edited by Bosskiller500 (334 posts) -

Box Metal

PC only

Boxing RPG

Most Intensive/Boxing simulator ever

highly complex boxing system.... most intensive skill system, and stat system

3 distinctive Modes

Porter's Quest- a 30 hour storyline RPG that features Candid Porter, a highly skilled boxing prodigy, age 17 (long blond hair, silver eyes) who joins Box Metal.. to become world champion

Conquest of Box Metal- Boxing Career, create a boxer, join the infamous "Box Metal league" and become the greatest boxer of all time, RULE THE METAL

Persistent Online- Join the Box Metal Online Leauge, and battle thousands of people, build characters, stats, and unlock tons of skills

over 2000 skills, 144 stats, 80 point max to each stat.

Configuration mode- Hardcore custimizing to get your boxer at max

This game is not for the feint of heart

Over 8000 different custimizations for your boxer loadout

Game Modes:

1 V 1 (traditional boxing match)

Tag Mode (2v2, 3v3)

3v3 is online online

Spike Boxer (boxing attacks to more damage) Boxers get metal spikes at the end of their gloves

Surival- Become King of the Ring

10 Boxer wave

30 Boxer wave

60 Boxer Wave

Fury Mode- persistent online mode/single player (not porter's quest)

choose between 8 different animals, transformation....

Dog, Cat, Wolf, Bear, Lion, Tiger, Alligator, Anteater

boxing animals

etc. etc

much more tomorrow

You want to be the Greatest, You want to win it all.. Prove it? Welcome to Box Metal.... good luck

#35 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38201 posts) -

were you hoping everyone would shower it with praise?

or are you just trying to bump a dying thread?

#36 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

were you hoping everyone would shower it with praise?

or are you just trying to bump a dying thread?

Praise. :(

Stop being mean to me.

#37 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2749 posts) -

Won't put too much thought about it but lemme conjure something up that is original and would be great...

Caribbean pirates. All of a sudden; time rift opens up and DINOSAURS APPEAR. They look like regular dinosaurs but there's a catch, they're not land animals. They're on the ocean, swimming! And they're a bit bigger than regular dinosaurs as well. All different kinds of 'em; long necks, those big rhino guys, T-Rex, Velociraptors and all that. You play as a brave pirate captain from a third person perspective. It'd be like a Shadow Of Colossus theme, you'd sail around hunting big dinosaurs and bring 'em down. To do this, you will climb around and do stuff, while also being able to pause the game and mix up strategies.

Like for example You're all like, ok ship 1 goes there and concentrate on THIS and ship 2 do that and ship 3 should stay behind the dinosaur and do THAT. And you'd be all like, Ship 1 go to the rear and shoot yer cannons! And then the dinosaur will be distracted, you're on another ship and and you throw some rope and stuff dinosaur, climb up the mast and board the dinosaur. Then you attack it in various ways, maybe issuing the order to ship 2 to attempt to board the dinosaur as well. And bam! You bring it down.

TLDR:
Swimming Giant Dinosaurs + Shadow of the Colossus style: swim around looking for dinosaurs + You command a pirate crew with ships + You interact with objects + Your climb and fight dinosaurs.