OFFICIAL: NVIDIA Shield Tablet coming July 29 for $299

#1 Edited by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

NVIDIA's Shield Tablet is Now Official

The Hardware

The Shield Tablet is an Android device that uses NVIDIA's Tegra K1 SoC. To accompany the tablet, NVIDIA also announced a Shield wireless controller.

The Games

The shield tablet will let you game in two ways. The first is to run games natively on the device's Tegra K1 hardware. The second is to allow you to stream PC games from your NVIDIA equipped home PC to your tablet via WiFi, or over the internet.

Native Tegra K1 games run on the device and take advantage of full OpenGL 4.x, they are not limited to OpenGL ES 3.1:

Here are some of the Tegra K1 optimized launch titles:

Other launch titles include:

• Pure Chess
  • Rochard
  • Anomaly 2
  • Flyhunter: Origins
  • Dungeon Defenders Eternity
  • Chuck's Challenge 3D: Reloaded

Earlier this year Croteam had also shown off Serious Sam 3 for Tegra K1 running at higher settings than on the Xbox 360. That and others are games are still to come.

Extra

The NVIDIA Shield also has Twitch ShadowPlay built directly into the device:

More on NVIDIA's DirectStylus 2:

#2 Edited by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

Media Coverage:

Gamespot:

"Nvidia's Shield Tablet Makes a Good First Impression, Not So Sure About the Controller" - Link

Engadget:

"NVIDIA's new Shield is a tablet built for gaming" - Link

The Verge:

"Nvidia's Shield Tablet wants to be the ultimate gaming device" - Link

Anandtech:

"Nvidia Launches Shield Tablet" - Link

CNET:

"Nvidia Shield Tablet aims to be the ultimate 8-inch Android gaming tablet: $299, available July 29 (hands-on)" - Link

#3 Posted by Wasdie (49621 posts) -

That is actually one impressive tablet for the price.

#4 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3013 posts) -

That's pretty cool. And the OS looks like vanilla android? Or is there some nvidia skin??

#5 Edited by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

@ninjapirate2000 said:

That's pretty cool. And the OS looks like vanilla android? Or is there some nvidia skin??

It's essentially vanilla, but it comes pre-loaded with some NVIDIA software and optimizations.

#6 Posted by remiks00 (1703 posts) -

I've been looking for a tablet like this. I think I may purchase this. Streaming my PC games from home while I work long nights at work; and can also double as a tablet sounds pretty appealing to me. The one reason why I didn't buy the 1st shield was because of the price, and I can't really use that as a tablet without the controller attached. Also, the screen size.

#7 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

I came here to hate, but I really can't. Those are some damn good specs for a price like that.

#8 Posted by edwardecl (2106 posts) -

DirectX on Android/Linux?

But £229 is not bad even if you don't use it for gaming. The fact that is comes with GPS and 3G/4G is good.

#9 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24875 posts) -

That's actually cheaper than I thought it would be.

#10 Posted by WallofTruth (1513 posts) -

God, that controller looks so fugly, seems like they've put the worst parts of the Xbox and PlayStation controllers and merged them.

#11 Posted by Ribnarak (2294 posts) -

wonder if it'll have any over heating problems.

#12 Edited by Jebus213 (8742 posts) -
@walloftruth said:

God, that controller looks so fugly, seems like they've put the worst parts of the Xbox and PlayStation controllers and merged them.

Are really that worried on how a controller looks instead of how it works?

#13 Posted by farrell2k (5801 posts) -

Damn, the shield tab has more games than either the xb1 or ps4.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (55984 posts) -

That looks insanely impressive, and I am almost certainly buying one.

#15 Posted by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

But £229 is not bad even if you don't use it for gaming. The fact that is comes with GPS and 3G/4G is good.

In this case, Android will only use OpenGL, so the DirectX equivalent features.

Being an Android device, you have the option of using a 3rd party bluetooth controller.

While on the topic of controllers, the Shield Tablet can have multiple controllers paired at one time for multiplayer games such as Trine 2 (which comes pre-loaded on the device).

#16 Posted by WallofTruth (1513 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:
@walloftruth said:

To be honest, yes, because it has the worst parts of the Xbox and PlayStation gamepad designed into one controller IMO.

#17 Posted by WallofTruth (1513 posts) -

@NVIDIATI said:
@edwardecl said:

In this case, Android will only use OpenGL, so the DirectX equivalent features.

@walloftruth said:

Being an Android device, you have the option of using a 3rd party bluetooth controller.

While on the topic of controllers, the Shield Tablet can have multiple controllers paired at one time for multiplayer games such as Trine 2 (which comes pre-loaded on the device).

That's really good news, thanks for the info!

#18 Posted by catasaurus (216 posts) -

nice thread as always nvidiati. i see that a bluetooth controller will work, but does that include the xbox 360 controller? how bout a keyboard for kicks and giggles?

#19 Posted by Xtasy26 (4251 posts) -

Actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of power you get for the price. Definitely one of the better tablets (maybe the best tablet) for it's price range. Only downside I could think of is that if I were to buy a table I would love to have this tablet at a much larger screen size >ipad with retina display.

#20 Posted by RyviusARC (4267 posts) -

I might get this.

Would be cool to be away from home and still have access to my games.

#21 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3736 posts) -

I might get this.

Would be cool to be away from home and still have access to my games.

And it's packing nearly as much GPU power as the Wii U. Which is 50% more powerful than the 360 GPU. Quite impressive.

#22 Edited by MuD3 (1217 posts) -

like I said in the other thread... make it 10" and I might be interested. don't see the point in a tablet smaller than that.

#23 Posted by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

nice thread as always nvidiati. i see that a bluetooth controller will work, but does that include the xbox 360 controller? how bout a keyboard for kicks and giggles?

You would likely need to root to get some of those working.

@MuD3 said:

like I said in the other thread... make it 10" and I might be interested. don't see the point in a tablet smaller than that.

Intel Core M tablets will be a lot more powerful than this and come in the 10" form factor. The Llama Mountain reference design had a 10" 2560 x 1440 display and was 1.2 lbs / 6.8 mm thick (there was also a 12.5" version). Intel Core M devices will start around $599.

#24 Edited by stereointegrity (10700 posts) -

@NVIDIATI said:

@catasaurus said:

You would likely need to root to get some of those working.

@MuD3 said:

Intel Core M tablets will be a lot more powerful than this and come in the 10" form factor. The Llama Mountain reference design had a 10" 2560 x 1440 display and was 1.2 lbs / 6.8 mm thick (there was also a 12.5" version). Intel Core M devices will start around $599.

too much for a tablet

#25 Posted by Seabas989 (10103 posts) -

Looks good.

#26 Edited by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

too much for a tablet

That really depends on the person and what they plan on using it for. A Core M device with a keyboard dock could also serve as a laptop replacement for some.

Intel's Cherry Trail will be inside more budget oriented devices with the $250-$450 price range and still be able to offer a great PC gaming experience.

#27 Posted by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

Here's a detailed hardware hands-on (tablet, controller, case) video from MobileGeeks:

There are also other videos available online that demonstrate some the games, GameStream, and other features of the device.

#28 Posted by clyde46 (44853 posts) -

Nice but I don't see anything to stop me using my iPad over this.

#29 Posted by TwistedShade (3149 posts) -

Would have bought this if I hadn't already bought an iPad Mini/Retina.

:(

#30 Posted by stereointegrity (10700 posts) -

wait does the controller come with the tablet?

#31 Posted by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

wait does the controller come with the tablet?

No, the controller is sold separately for $59 USD. From what I've been hearing, there might be bundle deals for the tablet/controller/stand with a discount applied.

#32 Posted by cainetao11 (16857 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:
@walloftruth said:

Seriously. I don't really care what my hardware looks like. Any of it. I just want it to play and work well. I look at the screen when using this stuff.

#33 Posted by Daious (1114 posts) -

This is the first tablet I have seen that is worth the price tag

#34 Posted by vickissv2 (1754 posts) -

Pass.

#35 Posted by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -
#36 Posted by Ghost120x (3738 posts) -

Can't say I care for another tablet. The market is getting way over-saturated at this point. It's going to be hard to pull people from the brands they are already with.

#37 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8623 posts) -

Yawn...... Another Tablet waiting to die off the market......

#38 Posted by WallofTruth (1513 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:
@walloftruth said:

Seriously. I don't really care what my hardware looks like. Any of it. I just want it to play and work well. I look at the screen when using this stuff.

The looks don't matter, what matters is how it feels in my hand, if it's big and clumsy and has the worst pieces of two good controllers then that's kind a big deal for me.

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (16857 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@Jebus213 said:
@walloftruth said:

The looks don't matter, what matters is how it feels in my hand, if it's big and clumsy and has the worst pieces of two good controllers then that's kind a big deal for me.

Agreed. I haven't held this controller yet so I cant assess it yet.

#40 Posted by NVIDIATI (7635 posts) -

It would appear this is the most powerful implementation of Tegra K1 we've seen so far.

GFXBench 3.0 Manhattan Off-screen (1080p):

• NVIDIA Shield Tablet (Tegra K1) - 31.0 Fps
  • Xiaomi Mi Pad (Tegra K1) - 27.4 Fps
  • Qualcomm MDP/T (Snapdragon 805) - 17.7 Fps
  • Apple iPad Air (A7) - 12.8 Fps
  • ASUS PadFone X (Snapdragon 801) - 12.0 Fps
#41 Posted by lamprey263 (23116 posts) -

Looks like a cool tablet, I don't have a tablet but if wanted something more than the cheapest Android tablets this is probably what I'd go for before I'd consider a iPad or Surface.

#42 Posted by LustForSoul (5843 posts) -

It seems impressive, especially for 300 bucks. If I'd go for a tablet, I'd consider this. It's a crying shame game streaming only works on gtx cards, I feel that alone will scare away many people. Me included.