Official March NPD Thread - KEEP IT HERE- RESULTS IN

#201 Posted by blackace (20006 posts) -

I predict a lot of butthurt and damage control happening in this thread once the numbers are announced.

#202 Posted by brimmul777 (1099 posts) -

Does it count digital versions,because I don't have CD copy.

#203 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1070 posts) -

Does it count digital versions,because I don't have CD copy.

Im not 100% sure about this but I do believe digital purchases are not included in npd numbers (90% percent sure about this)

#204 Edited by kunal_anand50 (77 posts) -

When would the numbers be out?

#205 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Btw, some cool (and relevant) info on LTD in NA (credits to Aquamarine over at NeoGaf):

LTD as of November 2013:

1) Wii U - 1.62 million (+0.48 million from PS4, +0.71 million from XBO)

2) PS4 - 1.14 million (+0.23 million from XBO)

3) XBO - 0.91 million

LTD as of December 2013:

1) Wii U - 2.10 million (+0.10 million from PS4, +0.28 million from XBO)

2) PS4 - 2.00 million (+0.18 million from XBO)

3) XBO - 1.82 million

LTD as of January 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.27 million (+0.12 million from Wii U, +0.31 million from XBO)

2) Wii U - 2.15 million (+0.19 million from XBO)

3) XBO - 1.96 million

LTD as of February 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.54 million (+0.31 million from Wii U, +0.32 million from XBO)

2) Wii U - 2.23 million (+0.01 million from XBO)

3) XBO - 2.22 million

#206 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

When would the numbers be out?

5 or so hours still. The actual numbers release earlier (to companies and partners), but the companies need time to make their PR statements (read spins :P).

#207 Posted by LanceX2 (305 posts) -

bush tweeting X1 won march. Guess tyloss needs banned

#208 Posted by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

What time do the numbers come out?

#209 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Not sure who is this guy, but:

#210 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -
#211 Posted by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

This is the most exciting NPD ever. It's kinda obvious the one will take it. BUT i'd love the PS4 just to outshine it by 1k just to rustle the shit out of everything.

#212 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

This is the most exciting NPD ever. It's kinda obvious the one will take it. BUT i'd love the PS4 just to outshine it by 1k just to rustle the shit out of everything.

It won't :P

MS will win. By how much, is the actual question. For example, in order to match the LTD sales, they'd need a 320k lead over whatever the PS4 does sell. It's also interesting to note that the PS2 only managed to sell 500k (or more) in March twice, the Wii 3 times, and the PS3&X360 never did it.

Meaning: unless we have some crazy, crazy numbers things will remain largely the same in NA (even with MS winning this month).

#213 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

MOAR cool info (mostly regarding digital sales in the US, this past month):

http://www.alistdaily.com/news/core-gamers-take-the-march-spotlight

Core gamers are back in favor as publishers roll out next-gen titles for $936M digital games market. This analysis comes from SuperData CEO, Joost van Dreunen:

Core gamers are once again becoming the industry focus as social and mobile game platforms soften and saturate.

Several key releases on digital console and in the free-to-play category suggests a re-engagement of publishers with traditional core gamers. After a period in which casual gamers on social and mobile platforms were all that mattered, the traditional gaming experience returns with publishers seeking to stake their claim at the beginning of the new console cycle.

The digital games market continues to grow, reaching $936 million in total sales in March, up 9% year-over-year. Saturation and increasing marketing expense on mobile and social platforms level the digital playing field for incumbent publishers. Titles like Titanfall, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm target traditional gamer audiences, as Zynga and King struggle to repeat their initial success with casual audiences.

#214 Posted by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

MMOs taking a huge hit.
The pay to play model is almost out.

#215 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

MMOs taking a huge hit.

Shhhhh, don't let SE hear about that! :P

Really it's the only thing keeping me from playing FF14 XD

#216 Posted by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

MMOs taking a huge hit.

Shhhhh, don't let SE hear about that! :P

Really it's the only thing keeping me from playing FF14 XD

FF14 is really awesome unfortunately. But I won't pay month over month to access what most games give out for free.

And unfortunately the people who definitely don't wanna hear it are probably bethesda right now.

#217 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

FF14 is really awesome unfortunately. But I won't pay month over month to access what most games give out for free.

And unfortunately the people who definitely don't wanna hear it are probably bethesda right now.

Eh, Bethesda should really just make Fallout and leave the MMO scene.

Seriously Bethesda. where the f*ck is my Fallou!??!

#218 Posted by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Leave the MMO scene? They just entered it. All that money for nothing.

#219 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Hey, not my money + general opinion is the game sucks :P

#220 Edited by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

Shame, so many people probably worked really damn hard on it. :/

#221 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Yeah, well they should have been working on a damn Fallout lol

#222 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

OH GOD, I just realized that crap stole man hours from a Fallout game. Hours we will never get back. We don't have Fallout because some guy at Bethesda thought there was room in the market for another pelt sewing simulator. My indifference to ESO just turned to burning hate.

#223 Edited by Animal-Mother (26386 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Desmonic said:

OH GOD, I just realized that crap stole man hours from a Fallout game. Hours we will never get back. We don't have Fallout because some guy at Bethesda thought there was room in the market for another pelt sewing simulator. My indifference to ESO just turned to burning hate.

You know there are probably people workin on FO4 at bethesda as we speak. Pretty hefty studio they got there.

#224 Posted by intotheminx (559 posts) -

I've discovered that the PS4 has sold about 7 million copies, but I'm having trouble finding how many Xbox One's have sold. Can someone give me a idea?

#225 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@mbrockway said:

You know there are probably people workin on FO4 at bethesda as we speak. Pretty hefty studio they got there.

Nein!

Every single one of them should have been working on the Fallout project!

MOAR = Better! We know this! :P

#226 Edited by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

4 million. May be up to 4.5 now depending on the Titanfall effect.

#227 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

I've discovered that the PS4 has sold about 7 million copies, but I'm having trouble finding how many Xbox One's have sold. Can someone give me a idea?

Last official numbers were 3.something back in January.

A safe bet would be anywhere in between 4 million and 5.5 million. More than that is a bit doubtful.

#228 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -
#229 Edited by jsolidus (141 posts) -

I expect the x1 to have a huge lead over the ps4, it should have a huge lead since its had a price drop, free game, tons of marketing. M$ pored a lot of its resources into the x1 this past two months its quite sad when you think about it..A new console should not have to have this much marketing this close to launch. I'm surprised there is no bragging about sales .Maybe after npd i guess.

#230 Posted by intotheminx (559 posts) -

@Desmonic: Do you know how long I've been waiting for another Fallout? NV doesn't count imo lol.

#231 Edited by finalstar2007 (24882 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@intotheminx said:

Last official numbers were 3.something back in January.

A safe bet would be anywhere in between 4 million and 5.5 million. More than that is a bit doubtful.

i believe the last news were 2.9 and my guess as of right now between 3.5 to 4.. not more than 4 i dont see xbox doing that much.

#232 Edited by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

@Desmonic: Do you know how long I've been waiting for another Fallout? NV doesn't count imo lol.

I loved NV. I still haven't been able to get into the Fallout 3 scenario, just too best of twilight zone to me. Here's a cave of kids that got stuck there on a field trip when the bombs fell! Now an ant lady! Even if Bethesda does it in house I hope they've got Obsidian doing the scenario and writing.

#233 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Starting to get mixed signals...

First Sony releases the a big sales mark the day before the NPD numbers, which could very well imply crappy NPD numbers. Now this dude Kevin Dent (no f*cking idea) is claiming NPD is inaccurate and whatnot. However NeoGaf claims he has been a long time MS fanboy and 90% of what he has claimed makes no sense or is not even true. Could this possibly mean that the hardware sales didn't went as expected for MS? Now that would be a surprise!

I very much doubt it, I think MS won this month with some ease even, but this is indeed curious..You don't get "salty" without a reason, you know? Very curious to see if he's just being a dumb troll or it'll end up making sense.

Pic from his twitter for context:

#234 Posted by Heil68 (43238 posts) -
@blackace said:

I predict a lot of butthurt and damage control happening in this thread once the numbers are announced.

Yeah, unfortunately lems wont be happy with sales since PS4 is sitting at 7 million world wide. Sad times indeed.

#235 Posted by super600 (30127 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

First Sony releases the a big sales mark the day before the NPD numbers, which could very well imply crappy NPD numbers. Now this dude Kevin Dent (no f*cking idea) is claiming NPD is inaccurate and whatnot. However NeoGaf claims he has been a long time MS fanboy and 90% of what he has claimed makes no sense or is not even true. Could this possibly mean that the hardware sales didn't went as expected for MS? Now that would be a surprise!

I very much doubt it, I think MS won this month with some ease even, but this is indeed curious..You don't get "salty" without a reason, you know? Very curious to see if he's just being a dumb troll or it'll end up making sense.

I don't think NPD tracks all retailers where you can buy video game consoles or handhelds in the US so there numbers may be off by a bit.In reality the number of consoles and handhelds sold per month sold be higher because of this.

#236 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

Oh snap, MS being upset in March would be hilarious.

#237 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@super600 said:

I don't think NPD tracks all retailers where you can buy video game consoles or handhelds in the US so there numbers may be off by a bit.In reality the number of consoles and handhelds sold per month sold be higher because of this.

Not tracking every single retailer is one thing; it's a completely different thing to claim the numbers NDP does get are 47% off!

We're talking about numbers MS, Sony and Nintendo use as FACT! The companies themselves use these numbers. Of course they probably have something like a 5% margin of error, it's only natural, but otherwise we only get better numbers from the companies themselves.

Which is why his sudden claims are suspicious as some Gaf users brought up the fact that this guy had no issue using the February numbers (when the X1 sold a bit better I think). They come off as some sort or pre-emptive DC rather than anything else.

BTW, 2 hours until PR time folks!

#238 Posted by kuu2 (6885 posts) -

@super600 said:

@Desmonic said:

This has always been the case though. NPD has always been an estimate and I don't think it includes such retailers as Amazon, or Wally World.

600k The One

300k PauperStation4

Who Cares WiiU

#239 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

This has always been the case though. NPD has always been an estimate and I don't think it includes such retailers as Amazon, or Wally World.

600k The One

300k PauperStation4

Who Cares WiiU

Nope. 90% to 95% is direct sales date gathered from the retailers. The rest is an educated estimation. If it were any other way Sony, MS or Ninty would NOT use their numbers as fact. It's no coincidence they do

Also, doubt any console will manage over (or even just) 500k this month. PS2 only did twice, Wii only did three times, PS3&X360&WiiU never did it either. It's a tough month to get those big sales.

#240 Edited by tonitorsi (8276 posts) -

2 More hours.

#241 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

600k The One

300k PauperStation4

Who Cares WiiU

In your lemming dreams.

#242 Edited by shawn30 (4361 posts) -

I think it'll go like this:

MS: 420

PS4: 400

Titanfall on the One sells 800k

#243 Posted by kingtito (4794 posts) -

2 More hours.

Why is NPD all of a sudden so interesting to cows? All of last gen they didn't care, wait I take that back. They stopped caring last gen after they realized NPD wasn't going to be kind to the PS3 for the entirety of the gen. Now that the PS4 is on top of NPD they care again?

Cows the biggest hypocrites of SWs

#245 Posted by Shewgenja (8324 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@tonitorsi said:

2 More hours.

Why is NPD all of a sudden so interesting to cows? All of last gen they didn't care, wait I take that back. They stopped caring last gen after they realized NPD wasn't going to be kind to the PS3 for the entirety of the gen. Now that the PS4 is on top of NPD they care again?

Why are Lems running away from NPD like girls on their period wearing white shorts?

#246 Edited by tonitorsi (8276 posts) -

Annnnd the meltdowns have begun.

#247 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13103 posts) -

Let's get ready to rumble!

#248 Edited by tonitorsi (8276 posts) -
#249 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

The only thing I'd enjoy more than the XBone somehow blowing march would be Second Son or Dark Souls 2 outselling the XBone version of Titanfall.

#250 Posted by StormyJoe (4747 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@tonitorsi said:

2 More hours.

Why are Lems running away from NPD like girls on their period wearing white shorts?

Again, I just find it interesting that all of a sudden, NPD numbers are worth a sticky when they were never worthy of a sticky last gen...