Official GameSpot PS3 Game of the Year!

  • 68 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3013 posts) -

Nominees:

  • The Last of Us - Winner
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Tomb Raider
  • Bioshock infinite
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Rayman Legends
  • DMC: Devil May Cry
  • Guacamelee!
  • Ni No Kuni

Since The The Last of Us beat out GTA V for PS3 GOTY, doesn't that mean that it will win overall GOTY?

Link

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6544 posts) -

It's easily the best game I've played on the PS3 this year. I don't think it gets GOTY, though.

#3 Edited by getyeryayasout (6813 posts) -

TLoU is great and I'm super excited for the upcoming SP dlc, but I'm most happy to see Guacamelee get a nod. Such a great game.

#4 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3013 posts) -

I'm glad Naughty Dog does it again. But as a HUGE fan of theirs, I personally have to lean towards GTA V myself

#5 Posted by blamix99 (1501 posts) -

nice TLOU deserves it

#7 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8665 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

Nominees:

  • The Last of Us - Winner
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Tomb Raider
  • Bioshock infinite
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Rayman Legends
  • DMC: Devil May Cry
  • Guacamelee!
  • Ni No Kuni

Since The The Last of Us beat out GTA V for PS3 GOTY, doesn't that mean that it will win overall GOTY?

Link

If Gaming awards were consistent, yes it would. That's usually not the case though.

#8 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6544 posts) -

The best games that I have played this year are

1. Super Mario 3D World

2. The Last of Us

3. Fire Emblem Awakening

#9 Posted by lamprey263 (22298 posts) -

see, 8 ain't so bad

#10 Edited by casharmy (6790 posts) -

it's interesting now GS is going to have to selfown themselves by naming GTA the over-all GOTY since they allowed Mcshea to post his 8.0 score since they wouldn't want to look uncredible by giving a game they listed as an AA over ones they scored AAA

but this listing already proves that the Mcshea score was overruled by the majority of the site and that they belive that TLOU > GTA5 regardless of they give the official GOTY to GTA5 in the end.

#11 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I still don't understand why there are 3rd party titles in a platform specific GOTY selection. And it's not just this, but all game gratification things that have like platform specific category stuff. :/

#12 Posted by the_bi99man (11024 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

Since The The Last of Us beat out GTA V for PS3 GOTY, doesn't that mean that it will win overall GOTY?

Why would it mean that?

#13 Edited by casharmy (6790 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

@WadeFan said:

Since The The Last of Us beat out GTA V for PS3 GOTY, doesn't that mean that it will win overall GOTY?

Why would it mean that?

Read my post.

But like I said I believe GTA5 will win overall GOTY for reasons I stated.

Also:

If GTA5 wasn't listed in the nominations then this conclusion could not be drawn, but since they put it there and stll listed TLOU over it....well they goofed.

#14 Posted by Joedgabe (5087 posts) -

Don't get Hyped cows.. we all honestly know that GTA 5 will win, even if we don't agree with it. But well deserved, TLOU is a great game. I wish Deus Ex would have won an award in it's time also.

#15 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9011 posts) -

Last of Us is awesome! It deserves GOTY IMO.

#16 Edited by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

Lemmings have no game of the year lol.

#17 Posted by CTR360 (6841 posts) -

last of us its masteriece deserve it

#18 Edited by casharmy (6790 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

Don't get Hyped cows.. we all honestly know that GTA 5 will win, even if we don't agree with it. But well deserved, TLOU is a great game. I wish Deus Ex would have won an award in it's time also.

It's not about hype, it just shows what everybody else already knows, that TLOU (another PS3 exclusive) is yet again the best game among all platforms for the year.

The only way for GS to NOT look like contradicting fools after doing this is to do the one thing they haven't done the entire generation...and that is to give the GOTY to a PC exclusive that isn't avalible on PS3 or 360. There are a few AAA PC exclusives this year so they could always go with that option.

#19 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3085 posts) -

Second best PS3 exclusive of the gen TBH.

MGS4 remains my favourite.

#20 Edited by casharmy (6790 posts) -

Second best PS3 exclusive of the gen TBH.

MGS4 remains my favourite.

Nope.

Demon'S Sous towers above everything but TLOU can stand proudly beside it as the best of the gen.

#21 Posted by Joedgabe (5087 posts) -

@casharmy said:

@Joedgabe said:

Don't get Hyped cows.. we all honestly know that GTA 5 will win, even if we don't agree with it. But well deserved, TLOU is a great game. I wish Deus Ex would have won an award in it's time also.

It's not about hype, it just shows what everybody else already knows, that TLOU (another PS3 exclusive) is yet again the best game among all platforms for the year.

The only way for GS to NOT look like contradicting fools after doing this is to do the one thing they haven't done the entire generation...and that is to give the GOTY to a PC exclusive that isn't avalible on PS3 or 360. There are a few AAA PC exclusives this year so they could always go with that option.

They can still give GOTY to GTA V which they likely will. I think it was last year that Journey got GOTY wasn't it ? but then that same year the PS3 didn't get Journey as it's GOTY. You can check it, GS is severely inconsistent.

#22 Posted by Suppaman100 (3513 posts) -

Lemmings have no game of the year lol.

LOL, brb multiplat is GOTY. LOL

#23 Edited by casharmy (6790 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@casharmy said:

@Joedgabe said:

Don't get Hyped cows.. we all honestly know that GTA 5 will win, even if we don't agree with it. But well deserved, TLOU is a great game. I wish Deus Ex would have won an award in it's time also.

It's not about hype, it just shows what everybody else already knows, that TLOU (another PS3 exclusive) is yet again the best game among all platforms for the year.

The only way for GS to NOT look like contradicting fools after doing this is to do the one thing they haven't done the entire generation...and that is to give the GOTY to a PC exclusive that isn't avalible on PS3 or 360. There are a few AAA PC exclusives this year so they could always go with that option.

They can still give GOTY to GTA V which they likely will. I think it was last year that Journey got GOTY wasn't it ? but then that same year the PS3 didn't get Journey as it's GOTY. You can check it, GS is severely inconsistent.

Like I said, that is what I expect.

Still good to see GS say TLOU > GTA5 even if they don't do it for the official GOTY (most other sites actually wll although GTA5 will get it's fair share too) for people that ran behind the Mcshea 8.0 score as if it meant anything other than trolling for the most hits.

GS says, "TLOU 8.0 >GTA5 9.0 >Bioshock Infinite 9.0".....PS exclusives, higher standards confirmed?

#24 Posted by Joedgabe (5087 posts) -

@casharmy said:

@Joedgabe said:

@casharmy said:

@Joedgabe said:

Don't get Hyped cows.. we all honestly know that GTA 5 will win, even if we don't agree with it. But well deserved, TLOU is a great game. I wish Deus Ex would have won an award in it's time also.

It's not about hype, it just shows what everybody else already knows, that TLOU (another PS3 exclusive) is yet again the best game among all platforms for the year.

The only way for GS to NOT look like contradicting fools after doing this is to do the one thing they haven't done the entire generation...and that is to give the GOTY to a PC exclusive that isn't avalible on PS3 or 360. There are a few AAA PC exclusives this year so they could always go with that option.

They can still give GOTY to GTA V which they likely will. I think it was last year that Journey got GOTY wasn't it ? but then that same year the PS3 didn't get Journey as it's GOTY. You can check it, GS is severely inconsistent.

Like I said, that is what I expect.

Still good to see GS say TLOU > GTA5 even if they don't do it for the official GOTY (most other sites actually wll although GTA5 will get it's fair share too) for people that ran behind the Mcshea 8.0 score as if it meant anything other than trolling for the most hits.

I haven't played GTA V yet but i kinda been there done that type of thing so i'm sure TLOU > GTA V.. almost certain just need confirmation but that's just on personal opinion. I just kinda hope GTA V doesn't win GOTY.. i hope some other game does. GTA V i'm sure it was good and well made, but it feels like it get's too much free credit and doesn't go through the judgement most games do.

#25 Edited by withe1982 (450 posts) -

So for GTA5 to win overall GOTY does that mean it's 100% guaranteed to be Xbox GOTY then? So sad if true. Mulitplatform GOTY for MS.

Don't know why but got a sneaky suspicion that GS will give overall GOTY to either Gone Home or The Stanley parable. They gushed when reviewing and playing both.

#26 Posted by casharmy (6790 posts) -

So for GTA5 to win overall GOTY does that mean it's 100% guaranteed to be Xbox GOTY then? So sad if true. Mulitplatform GOTY for MS.

If GS lists Gears Of War Judgement (7.0) as 360's GOTY, while also listing GTA5 in the nominations, that will make it spicy.

#27 Edited by BattleSpectre (5945 posts) -

Deserves game of the year. I enjoyed the game and whilst it wasn't perfect, Naughty Dog put a helluva lot of effort into the game.

#28 Edited by drekula2 (1874 posts) -

TTMHBO

#29 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1617 posts) -

If GTAV wins overall game of the year it will make no sense. GTAV only on PS3/360 and PS3 version superior.

TLOU getting a 8 also doesn't make any sense.

#30 Posted by blamix99 (1501 posts) -

TLOU deserves to be GOTY, but i will still be happy if AC4 or GTAV wins

#31 Posted by hippiesanta (9715 posts) -

Tom Mcshea hahahaha

#32 Edited by speedfog (2819 posts) -

An 8/10 game congratz cows with your mediocre game!

#33 Posted by dvalo9 (1269 posts) -

How does it work that on the same platform tlou > gtav

but gtav will most likely win goty despite losing already to tlou.

#34 Posted by Giancar (19029 posts) -

8.0 > 9.0

#35 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3013 posts) -
#36 Posted by lostrib (31049 posts) -

Good for TLOU, overcoming its floppage

#37 Posted by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

Well deserved and my personal GOTY for 2013.

#38 Posted by lamprey263 (22298 posts) -

why wasn't Beyond: Two Souls nominated?

#39 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -

anyone really shocked by this?

#40 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

So the rest of the GS staff basically bitch slapped Tom?

#41 Posted by nervmeister (15125 posts) -

@speedfog said:

An 8/10 game congratz cows with your mediocre game!

If a "mediocre" game managed to beat GTAV and Bioshock: Infinite for PS3 GOTY, then what does that say about them?

#42 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

obvious choice. Was also named gotg.

#43 Posted by Basinboy (10900 posts) -

As expected. Should also win GOTY.

#44 Edited by blackace (19580 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

see, 8 ain't so bad

A FLOP wins GOTY. Only on GS. lol!!

I would have giving it to Bioshock Infinite or GTA V. Both games are better overall.

************************************************************************************

@speedfog said:

An 8/10 game congratz cows with your mediocre game!

If a "mediocre" game managed to beat GTAV and Bioshock: Infinite for PS3 GOTY, then what does that say about them?

It says GS journalism is in the toilet. Especially when the same journalist score the other games higher. lol!! It's more of a pitty award then anything else. That's what it looks like anyways.

#45 Edited by Jag85 (4209 posts) -

@Giancar said:

8.0 > 9.0

TLOU and GTAV belong to two different genres, so they can't be directly compared like that.

#46 Posted by nervmeister (15125 posts) -

@blackace said:


@nervmeister said:

If a "mediocre" game managed to beat GTAV and Bioshock: Infinite for PS3 GOTY, then what does that say about them?

It says GS journalism is in the toilet. Especially when the same journalist score the other games higher. lol!! It's more of a pitty award then anything else. That's what it looks like anyways.

ALL of GS's reviewers get to vote on whether TLOU wins a GOTY award. Not just the same person who reviewed it. Sorry.

#47 Posted by Desmonic (12403 posts) -

Expected. Let's see if it makes it to the overall GOTY nominees.

#48 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11345 posts) -

It probably won't win GOTY, but I'm just glad to see it get every award it can get.

It is definitely my game of the year and probably my game of the generation.

#49 Edited by Zassimick (6110 posts) -

Such a great game. I really need to play through it again.

#50 Edited by blackace (19580 posts) -

@blackace said:


@nervmeister said:

If a "mediocre" game managed to beat GTAV and Bioshock: Infinite for PS3 GOTY, then what does that say about them?

It says GS journalism is in the toilet. Especially when the same journalist score the other games higher. lol!! It's more of a pitty award then anything else. That's what it looks like anyways.

ALL of GS's reviewers get to vote on whether TLOU wins a GOTY award. Not just the same person who reviewed it. Sorry.

No shit Sherlock. lol!! It's pretty obvious the only reason it got picked was because it was an exclusive. I've played all 3 games. They are all good games, but I don't see TLOU being better then Bioshock or GTA V overall.