Official Far Cry 3 Hype Thread. GS=9.0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#451 Posted by RyviusARC (4723 posts) -

Games beautiful but it seriously is harsh on the framerate currently.

30-48ish FPS with max settings on a gtx 580 with an i7920 OC'd to 4.2 gigz and 6 gigz ram on windows 8.

Hopefully in the coming days a patch is released to improve performance, along with New Drivers from nvidia etc.

I was using alot more bells and whistles than Total Biscuit was in his WTF is also.

The guns in this game feel amazing, even the pistols feel great. also the driving is a massive improvement over farcry 2's.

the PC version and the console versions don't even look like the same game, there are some seriously good textures here along with some of the best lighting I have ever seen.

ReadingRainbow4

Nvidia already released a beta driver yesterday to improve performance in Far Cry 3.

But it didn't improve it by much for me.

With a GTX 570 I was using max settings and 4xmsaa and only got around 33-42 on average and higher if in smaller areas or looking at the ground or sky.

#452 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

Games beautiful but it seriously is harsh on the framerate currently.

30-48ish FPS with max settings on a gtx 580 with an i7920 OC'd to 4.2 gigz and 6 gigz ram on windows 8.

Hopefully in the coming days a patch is released to improve performance, along with New Drivers from nvidia etc.

I was using alot more bells and whistles than Total Biscuit was in his WTF is also.

The guns in this game feel amazing, even the pistols feel great. also the driving is a massive improvement over farcry 2's.

the PC version and the console versions don't even look like the same game, there are some seriously good textures here along with some of the best lighting I have ever seen.

RyviusARC

Nvidia already released a beta driver yesterday to improve performance in Far Cry 3.

But it didn't improve it by much for me.

With a GTX 570 I was using max settings and 4xmsaa and only got around 33-42 on average and higher if in smaller areas or looking at the ground or sky.

Yeah I'm using 310.54. The game still plays great, I'm just so used to 60fps+ that it's a bit jarring, it's still very responsive. Only thing that disappointed me so far visually is I ran into a rainstorm and it basically had zero effect on the environment, I was hoping for more.
#453 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11981 posts) -

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]Any idea when GS' review will be going up? What's taking them so long? :?sukraj

there probably too busy enjoying the game to write a review about the game.:D

Kevin said it should be up by tomorrow

#454 Posted by 35cent (925 posts) -

My PC has a 3.2 GHz Core i5 processor with 6gb of ram. My video card is an overclocked GTX 260 with around 1gb of video ram. Would this PC run this game well? It runs Battlefield 3 on high at around 25-35 fps (I think)

#455 Posted by Fizzman (9883 posts) -

My PC has a 3.2 GHz Core i5 processor with 6gb of ram. My video card is an overclocked GTX 260 with around 1gb of video ram. Would this PC run this game well? It runs Battlefield 3 on high at around 25-35 fps (I think)

35cent

GPU is really holding you back. I personally dont think it will run well, but my standards for playability are probably different. 40FPS minimum.

#456 Posted by Fizzman (9883 posts) -

I am not sure if this is allowed on GS forums, but i will be in possession of a Steam code for AC3 and Borderlands 2 (bought new GPU's) and i already own the games so if someone wants to work out a deal where they gift me Far Cry 3, i would happily give them both games. I am not shady and would give up one of the CD-keys for which ever game they wanted first as an act of good faith.

My order should be delivered by next Tuesday or Wednsday.

#457 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

How I know gaming journalism is in the decline.

First 2 quotes of Farcry 3 commercial:

"Like Skyrim with guns"

"Shades of Red Dead Redemption"

Cherokee_Jack

That sounds like gaming marketing being on the decline.

Nothing necessarily wrong with either of those statements, in context. Pulling them for an ad smells like insecurity though.

They were quotes from review sites. I mean, sure the marketing is bad too, but if a journalist can't do the game justice by describing the game based on its own merits...

#458 Posted by 35cent (925 posts) -

[QUOTE="35cent"]

Fizzman

GPU is really holding you back. I personally dont think it will run well, but my standards for playability are probably different. 40FPS minimum.

I usually play games on consoles anyways so my standards are probably a lot lower. If it runs the game as well as it runs BF3, then I'll be happy.

#459 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20497 posts) -
Hmmm... I have an i7 with 12GB of ram and the 7970m. People talking about their desktop cards struggling (cause they actualy have legit cards) but luckily im one of those people who doesnt really care much for AA when playing at 1080p and thus i can probably get decent framerates :P
#460 Posted by Zaibach (13458 posts) -

Hmmm... I have an i7 with 12GB of ram and the 7970m. People talking about their desktop cards struggling (cause they actualy have legit cards) but luckily im one of those people who doesnt really care much for AA when playing at 1080p and thus i can probably get decent framerates :PII_Seraphim_II

show off...

#461 Posted by Grawse (4342 posts) -
Hmmm... I have an i7 with 12GB of ram and the 7970m. People talking about their desktop cards struggling (cause they actualy have legit cards) but luckily im one of those people who doesnt really care much for AA when playing at 1080p and thus i can probably get decent framerates :PII_Seraphim_II
As my 6950's get older I don't mind turning down the settings to keep the framerate around 60. Not worth jacking up the settings and having 30 FPS.
#462 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

now that my initial honey moon period is over, there's some things that bug me.

Visually this game looks amazing when you account for how big the world is with the seamless loading. However there are low res textures everywhere if you look hard enough, it's still a great looking game but if you go nitpicking your going to go nuts, so just take it for what it is.

The Ai is seriously shortsighted, I can see why they did this so people would have an easier time playing stealth.

I'm sure I can think of more, but the games alot of fun. I love the momentum of the combat. Hunting is also pretty great.

#463 Posted by Stringerboy (7204 posts) -

I'm actually finding Far Cry 3 more frustrating than it is fun. I'm playing a stealth character and I'm constantly runnning out of ammo because I keep on being ambushed by wild dogs that drain your health almost instantly. This would be ok if I could carry more than one weapon but I'm stuck with the crappy silenced pistol until I find the propper crafting ingredients for more weapon slots.

It's a shame because the story seems promising and the voice acting is great so far.

#464 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Visually this game looks amazing when you account for how big the world is with the seamless loading. However there are low res textures everywhere if you look hard enough, it's still a great looking game but if you go nitpicking your going to go nuts, so just take it for what it is.

The Ai is seriously shortsighted, I can see why they did this so people would have an easier time playing stealth.

I'm sure I can think of more, but the games alot of fun. I love the momentum of the combat. Hunting is also pretty great.

ReadingRainbow4

How's the combat and body physics, does it have some weight to it, and do bullets have a good sense of impact?

I find those things very important in shooters, also, the original Far Cry really nailed them!

#465 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

Rocker6

How's the combat and body physics, does it have some weight to it, and do bullets have a good sense of impact?

I find those things very important in shooters, also, the original Far Cry really nailed them!

everything has weight to it, bullets make a good thump sound when they rip through flesh You won't find the destructibility of crysis here though, I tried shooting some palm tree's down and it wasn't happening. I'll be back with some pictures, I was going to snap one of this awesome sunset, but it turned to night before I knew it.
#466 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
umm NOPE, far cry 2 some how scored good and it was trash so ya They are 99.9% sure buying reviews
#467 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

This games alot of fun to take pictures in, I'll post some more.

#468 Posted by Maneil99 (823 posts) -

I am not sure if this is allowed on GS forums, but i will be in possession of a Steam code for AC3 and Borderlands 2 (bought new GPU's) and i already own the games so if someone wants to work out a deal where they gift me Far Cry 3, i would happily give them both games. I am not shady and would give up one of the CD-keys for which ever game they wanted first as an act of good faith.

Fizzman

Does the AC3 one activate on steam, if so i'm intrested, I do pretty regular steam trading you can check out my steam profilehttp://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197997846481

#469 Posted by Maneil99 (823 posts) -

ReadingRainbow4

Are thos artifacts in that one picture? Gonna try using a vpn because I dont want to wait another 5 days until the US release ( got it pre ordered on steam )

#470 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

Maneil99

Are thos artifacts in that one picture? Gonna try using a vpn because I dont want to wait another 5 days until the US release ( got it pre ordered on steam )

Artifacts? if your talking about the campfire pics those are embers. Also light will bounce off the water, including waves. This games got the best lighting I have ever seen, Light curves on surfaces also. here's some more pics.

remember to view in 1920x1080.

#471 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

I think that picture with the dog wandering into my shot has some bugged out depth of field, It still looks kind of neat tho. :P

#472 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

"Like Skyrim with guns"

Gxgear

Nothing necessarily wrong with either of those statements, in context. Pulling them for an ad smells like insecurity though.

They were quotes from review sites. I mean, sure the marketing is bad too, but if a journalist can't do the game justice by describing the game based on its own merits...

...Who says they can't? Those are sentence fragments pulled from previews/reviews, not the entirety of what the writers had to say. Maybe the part where they described the game without quick and dirty comparisons was too long to put in a 30-second ad.
#473 Posted by Fizzman (9883 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Maneil99

Does the AC3 one activate on steam, if so i'm intrested, I do pretty regular steam trading you can check out my steam profilehttp://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197997846481

Not sure. These free game promotions vary from publisher to publisher. I got batman from purchasing a GTX 480 and it was steam linked but another game (forget its name Asian girl who runs on top of buildings) was linked to Origin.
#474 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -
I can't get over how awful the main character's friends are. That intro cutscene is awful, those fools deserve to be enslaved.
#475 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Cherokee_Jack

...Who says they can't? Those are sentence fragments pulled from previews/reviews, not the entirety of what the writers had to say. Maybe the part where they described the game without quick and dirty comparisons was too long to put in a 30-second ad.

If they can, then the only other explanation is they don't want to, or are catering to people with short attention spans. It may just be fragments, but having it anywhere in your writing is just lazy if you ask me. Using a game to describe another doesn't really accomplish anything other than to pass the buck onto the readers to interpret what the writer meant in whatever context they'd like. It's the type of thing that you'd say sitting around talking about games with friends.

#476 Posted by Lambent7 (926 posts) -
Another 10 for Far Cry 3 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/9710944/Far-Cry-3-review.html
#477 Posted by Ballroompirate (23474 posts) -

The most dangerous animal in Far Cry 3

Ze land shark

MBpIS.jpg

#478 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

"Like Skyrim with guns"

Gxgear

The Skyrim quote is from Machinima and they aren't exactly well known for their amazing and indepth reviews so don't worry about it.

[spoiler] Also, yay, 6666 post. I don't know why I'm even semi-celebrating it, it's just amusing to look at. All dem sixes. [/spoiler]

#479 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

If they can, then the only other explanation is they don't want to, or are catering to people with short attention spans. It may just be fragments, but having it anywhere in your writing is just lazy if you ask me. Using a game to describe another doesn't really accomplish anything other than to pass the buck onto the readers to interpret what the writer meant in whatever context they'd like. It's the type of thing that you'd say sitting around talking about games with friends.

If you back up the comparison afterward, there's nothing really wrong them (once in a while). It's just shorthand to communicate up front what's interesting about the game.

#480 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
#481 Posted by Stringerboy (7204 posts) -

.campzor

Nice, far cry 2 had awesome fire as well.

#482 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17296 posts) -

The most dangerous animal in Far Cry 3

Ze land shark

Ballroompirate

This game needs a weapon that can shoot sharks at enemies. How moddable is far cry 3 ?:P

campzor

:shock:

#483 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

Looking awesome so far might get it later

#484 Posted by sukraj (23460 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the game i was expecting it to arrive today but it didn't come in the post.

#485 Posted by IPWNDU2 (2535 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the game i was expecting it to arrive today but it didn't come in the post.

sukraj

NO POST ON SUNDAYS. Sorry had to.

#486 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7315 posts) -
I can't wait to play Far Cry 3, according to the reviews it lived up to hype.
#487 Posted by freedomfreak (41944 posts) -
My brother is wondering where he can find dingos. How does the icon look on the map?
#488 Posted by freedomfreak (41944 posts) -
rofl. He just found one. Nevermind!
#489 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

I wish this game had more gore, that's really bugging me.

After you kill them they just sit and glow there, and I really don't feel like looting them all for a **** watch or seashell that's worth $10. So they just continue to sit there and glow.

I hope we can get some mod support, although something tells me that won't happen much like with farcry 2.

everything else is great, but I'd like more evidence of my handy work.

#490 Posted by freedomfreak (41944 posts) -
You know what the REAL problem is with this game? In Far Cry 2, your RPG rocket fell back to the ground if you launched it straight into the air. It exploded. Lulz ensued. THEY REMOVED THAT. :(
#491 Posted by sts106mat (20172 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]You know what the REAL problem is with this game? In Far Cry 2, your RPG rocket fell back to the ground if you launched it straight into the air. It exploded. Lulz ensued. THEY REMOVED THAT. :(

really thinking i'll buy this game tonight, i was a massive fan of far cry 2. how are you finding it?
#492 Posted by freedomfreak (41944 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]You know what the REAL problem is with this game? In Far Cry 2, your RPG rocket fell back to the ground if you launched it straight into the air. It exploded. Lulz ensued. THEY REMOVED THAT. :(

really thinking i'll buy this game tonight, i was a massive fan of far cry 2. how are you finding it?

Haven't played it. I wasn't interested in it because I didn't like FC2. My brother wanted it though, so I bought it for him. He loves it, and from what I've seen, it looks hella fun.
#493 Posted by sts106mat (20172 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]You know what the REAL problem is with this game? In Far Cry 2, your RPG rocket fell back to the ground if you launched it straight into the air. It exploded. Lulz ensued. THEY REMOVED THAT. :(

Haven't played it. I wasn't interested in it because I didn't like FC2. My brother wanted it though, so I bought it for him. He loves it, and from what I've seen, it looks hella fun.

cool, i am definitelt getting it, its just a question of when really. busy with halo 4 and lego LOTR, but i can probably squeeze this one in too.
#494 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

Well, after seeing this video, I want this in my life. Will buy on the PC. :D

#495 Posted by After_Math (975 posts) -

Hey guys, I wanted to preorder the game and was planning on getting it through Amazon.

However, I don't see any preorder bonus on the site? I know the first post details the bonuses/etc. However, are these "bonus DLC" unlockable in game? Or will I never be able to get the Monkey Business and Lost Expedition Missions by ordering the game through Amazon?

#496 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11981 posts) -

Well the review should be up later today. Kevin V seems to like it alot so I'll boost my hype to a 9.0

#497 Posted by NuclearFlower (575 posts) -
Pleasantly surprised with this game. It's everything Far Cry 2 should have been. I played it all night and didn't do one main mission; there's so many distractions that make the game ridiculously addicting. And on top of that, there's actually a FOV slider...in a Ubisoft game. Hell has frozen over.
#498 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17296 posts) -

Pleasantly surprised with this game. It's everything Far Cry 2 should have been. I played it all night and didn't do one main mission; there's so many distractions that make the game ridiculously addicting. And on top of that, there's actually a FOV slider...in a Ubisoft game. Hell has frozen over.NuclearFlower

I feel the same way. In a way I should be out rescuing my friends but I find myself busy fighting sharks to get an extra weapon to wreck distruction with:P. The side missions and quests are really entertaining.

Does anyone else really like the cover system ? I like how you can just crouch behind something and your weapon will automatically peak over to shoot.

It's totally not like hitman where you prace space and stick to a wall like glue, untill you press space again. You have total control in this cover system:D

#499 Posted by freedomfreak (41944 posts) -
What I like about FC3 is the fact that it looks like the first one. The artsyle for example. It screams FC. The paragliding. Which was awesome in FC, and the tagging of enemies that people complained about. Which is funny, because it was in the first one too.
#500 Posted by Maneil99 (823 posts) -

Easily my GOTY, what kind of FPS are you guys getting, I'm getting 55-85 with about a 63fps average, one thing about this game is the FPS doesn't jump or drop much, is this about the right performance I should get with a 680 GTX on Ultra without MSAA?CCF665377B384396104D7B99032314C7A4AE05C5