Oddworld Creator Blasts EA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58844 Posts

Bang Bang He Shot Me Dead. Bang Bang, I gave him h...

“**** that business. I don’t want to play with that business, because it was a losing business,” he told VG24/7. “I just don’t want to go back and play the old [publisher] game. I’d rather not make games than go fucking be a slave for public companies who care more about their shareholders than they do about their customers.

“Why did Battlefield 4 ship? You know that team was crying. You know that team knew that game wasn’t ready to go. You know that team fucking spent a lot of sleepless nights building that shit out to look as good and play as good, when it was able to be experienced, being played as they were intending it to be played. Someone made a decision that the shareholders are more important than the customer. And we see a lot of that. How do you blow that? How do you take that fucking jewel and ship it with dirt all over it?”

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Don't know whether he means it or not, but slamming The Man seems to get positive feedback from consumers that'd like to think they're not so easily manipulated; kind of ironic. I don't care about his politics in the gaming world though, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Oddworld series, and I'd gladly pick up a remake of Abe's Oddysee.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Don't know whether he means it or not, but slamming The Man seems to get positive feedback from consumers that'd like to think they're not so easily manipulated; kind of ironic. I don't care about his politics in the gaming world though, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Oddworld series, and I'd gladly pick up a remake of Abe's Oddysee.

They blamed poor advertising for the commercial failure of those two once Xbox eclusives games: Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Lorne Lanning is one of the good guys. Always remember that.

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

I can dig it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@lamprey263 said:

They blamed poor advertising for the commercial failure of those two once Xbox eclusives games: Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee.

I'm sure a lot of the blame also comes from the Xbox's low userbase and it being an exclusive, and a launch exclusive nonetheless (for Munch's Oddysee), living under Halo's shadow.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

While EA should get shit for the state BF4 was in, part of the blame goes to DICE for not being able to make a finished product for the release date.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: Its also possible that the release date that was set for them was unrealistic. Also, with any project, unexpected obstacles always come up and reiterations and changes occur throughout the project. This is why most companies tend to give vague completion dates like "Launching Summer 2014" or in some cases "Launching in 2014". Its impossible to anticipate what complications may arise, and EA as the publisher should have accounted for that. But you do have a point. We don't nearly have enough information to make an informed opinion, perhaps DICE really did just mess around and not get anything done.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Lanning is a blowhard. You can always tell when he has a new project coming out because he starts bad mouthing other companies to get the free press. I like the Oddworld games as much as the next guy, but just because you made some great games over a decade ago doesn't make you god's gift to gaming. He needs to shut the **** up.

Also I'm not defending EA, hell I even made this video a few years ago:

Loading Video...

I just don't respect Lanning's attitude.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@II_Seraphim_II said:

@JangoWuzHere: Its also possible that the release date that was set for them was unrealistic. Also, with any project, unexpected obstacles always come up and reiterations and changes occur throughout the project. This is why most companies tend to give vague completion dates like "Launching Summer 2014" or in some cases "Launching in 2014". Its impossible to anticipate what complications may arise, and EA as the publisher should have accounted for that. But you do have a point. We don't nearly have enough information to make an informed opinion, perhaps DICE really did just mess around and not get anything done.

Instead of wasting time on an uninspired single player campaign, they should have focused their efforts on the part people are actually interested in. They were already making a mistake when they decided that ripping off call of duty again in terms of single player was a good idea. Unexpected obstacles and revisions do happen, but that doesn't mean much in the real world. If you are late on assignment or with a project, you are likely to get layed off and that's simply the harsh truth.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@lamprey263 said:

I'm sure a lot of the blame also comes from the Xbox's low userbase and it being an exclusive, and a launch exclusive nonetheless (for Munch's Oddysee), living under Halo's shadow.

XBOX users only want shooters. Even on the 360 anything remotely creative without guns failed miserably. I'm sorry VIVA PINATA...i loved you though.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Oh my, he's a little salty with the language eh?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

While EA should get shit for the state BF4 was in, part of the blame goes to DICE for not being able to make a finished product for the release date.

I understand release dates and the pressures that come with them. BUT a game should ship when it's READY. At least don't ship a game that has problems. Fix them first. The long term good will is worth more than the short term release date disappointment.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@HadOne2Many said:

Lanning is a blowhard. You can always tell when he has a new project coming out because he starts bad mouthing other companies to get the free press. I like the Oddworld games as much as the next guy, but just because you made some great games over a decade ago doesn't make you god's gift to gaming. He needs to shut the **** up.

Loading Video...

i think he has the right to say whatever he wants about EA.. they are the reason Stranger's Wrath was a failure and almost killed the franchise because of it. so you should probally shut the **** up?

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

@HadOne2Many said:

Loading Video...

i think he has the right to say whatever he wants about EA.. they are the reason Stranger's Wrath was a failure and almost killed the franchise because of it. so you should probally shut the **** up?

See the difference here is that I'm just some guy on a message board. I can say whatever I like and it doesn't make the front page of dozens of gaming news sites. Lanning is a douche who is using his status as a has been to spout of negative comments to further his own agenda (in this case get free press about his overpriced remake of New & Tasty).

And it isn't just EA. Just do a Google search for "Lorne Lanning Oddworld News" and you'll see he has been talking shit about everyone except who he's in bed with at the moment since day one. It is unprofessional, childish and completely uncalled for.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I understand release dates and the pressures that come with them. BUT a game should ship when it's READY. At least don't ship a game that has problems. Fix them first. The long term good will is worth more than the short term release date disappointment.

To stay competitve with Call of Duty, EA had to ship for holiday release. While giving developers all the time in the world to make a game would be great, it makes little to no sense from a business perspective.

linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

To stay competitve with Call of Duty, EA had to ship for holiday release. While giving developers all the time in the world to make a game would be great, it makes little to no sense from a business perspective.

releasing a game which is not finished make no sense either.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere

@linkdarkside said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

releasing a game which is not finished make no sense either.

Pre-ordering games and buying games without reading reviews makes no sense.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

I am sorry, but that is just wrong.

Perhaps to stay on top of the gaming media buzz covering the ridiculously silly rivalry between EA and Activision, and the doofy flame wars between BF and CoD fans the game needed to be released to before the holidays. Being competitive on the other hand? Goodness no.

Battlefield and Call of Duty are very different games that scratch very different itches. One is lone wolf or two/three man team arcade run and gun that penalizes cooperation by sacrificing kill streak rewards, while the others is squad based and offers great rewards for focusing on supporting a team, even at the cost of getting a lot of kills in a row. It also offers realistic ballistic physics on top of that. Yeah they are both shooters, but that is a bit like saying NHL and Fifa are both sports games. Battlefield fans would have waited for a finished game. They absolutely would not have just purchased CoD and decided it was good enough while turning their backs on the entire franchise less then a year after spending over a hundred dollars to get BF3 and all it's maps.

I mean come on, people are breathless with anticipation of the HD remake of an HD game that released nine months ago on this very forum. Gamers are not only willing to spend sixty bucks to get an unfinished game the day it releases despite of all the flaws they know it will have, they are perfectly willing to shell out another sixty dollars to play the exact same game a year later with redone textures. There is absolutely zero reason for an entrenched shooter franchise to rush an unplayable game to market. If anything the decision cost them money.

The very best thing that could happen to Battlefield fans is Dice seeing the success of star citizen, ditching EA, and going with crowd funding. I would be astonished if they didn't get fifty million dollars in a month to release, "WarField, Battle of Honor Medals" or some "We can't call it Battlefield because of IP laws but yeah it is totally Battlefield!" nonsense.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Never played any of the Oddworld games but screw EA

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere

@kittennose said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I am sorry, but that is just wrong.

Perhaps to stay on top of the gaming media buzz covering the ridiculously silly rivalry between EA and Activision, and the doofy flame wars between BF and CoD fans the game needed to be released to before the holidays. Being competitive on the other hand? Goodness no.

Battlefield and Call of Duty are very different games that scratch very different itches. One is lone wolf or two/three man team arcade run and gun that penalizes cooperation by sacrificing kill streak rewards, while the others is squad based and offers great rewards for focusing on supporting a team, even at the cost of getting a lot of kills in a row. It also offers realistic ballistic physics on top of that. Yeah they are both shooters, but that is a bit like saying NHL and Fifa are both sports games. Battlefield fans would have waited for a finished game. They absolutely would not have just purchased CoD and decided it was good enough while turning their backs on the entire franchise less then a year after spending over a hundred dollars to get BF3 and all it's maps.

I mean come on, people are breathless with anticipation of the HD remake of an HD game that released nine months ago on this very forum. Gamers are not only willing to spend sixty bucks to get an unfinished game the day it releases despite of all the flaws they know it will have, they are perfectly willing to shell out another sixty dollars to play the exact same game a year later with redone textures. There is absolutely zero reason for an entrenched shooter franchise to rush an unplayable game to market. If anything the decision cost them money.

The very best thing that could happen to Battlefield fans is Dice seeing the success of star citizen, ditching EA, and going with crowd funding. I would be astonished if they didn't get fifty million dollars in a month to release, "WarField, Battle of Honor Medals" or some "We can't call it Battlefield because of IP laws but yeah it is totally Battlefield!" nonsense.

They are different mechanically, but both are fast paced first person modern military shooters.They are different games, but you would be crazy to think that EA isn't competing with Call of Duty in the shooter market. Releasing before the holidays has and always will generate more sales then any other part of the year. Not to mention, that early in 2014, Titanfall was scheduled to come out. Releasing both of them in close approximation would only hurt both games.

EA isn't going to delay other games and projects just because DICE couldn't finish their game.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

They are different mechanically, but both are fast paced first person modern military shooters.They are different games, but you would be crazy to think that EA isn't competing with Call of Duty in the shooter market. Releasing before the holidays has and always will generate more sales then any other part of the year. Not to mention, that early in 2014, Titanfall was scheduled to come out. Releasing both of them in close approximation would only hurt both games.

EA isn't going to delay other games and projects just because DICE couldn't finish their game.

I am sorry, but if you think all those people who scorn CoD would have become Ghost converts (Ghost stealing games? Now that is silly.) if BF4 had released in January, and the fact that the game was unplayable when it was released didn't make lots of gamers wait until then anyway then we just have to agree to disagree.

*edit* For the record, I looked it up, BF4 sold 69% less then BF3 in the same time frame.

Battlefield and CoD are closer to sports franchises then game franchises. Die hard BF fans are not a two month delay away from thinking they were too harsh on CoD, and winning a match with a nuke when your team is down by 20% of the total score limit is actually a super neat idea.