Oculus Rift Will Be A Platform For Facebook Apps

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

This article outlines exactly how this deal comes together and shines light on why Zuckerberg wanted it. I would also add that if you were hoping to use your Steam purchased titles on this I don't think that will be happening.

Zuckerberg Wants His Own Platform

"Zuckerberg won over Oculus with his vision for virtual reality as the next big platform. Facebook doesn't have its own platform, its own version of Google's Android operating system, or Apple's App Store. It just has a website and a set of apps. But Oculus could be that platform for Facebook."

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I don't see how Facebook will turn the Rift into a Facebook device. The fact that Carmack is still on board tells a great deal. The Rift team needs money and Facebook has money, lots of it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So why wouldn't Steam games work on this?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

And so it begins

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Well that title was a bit misleading.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

And I'd still rather have one of them than an Xbone.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@daious said:

Par for the course in a kuu2 thread.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

@jimmy_russell said:

I can assure you that Oculus and Facebook are completely separate companies. Oculus VR is a subsidiary of Facebook, Inc. The plan for Oculus is to replace the TV with an all-in-one mind-transportation entertainment device. It will also bring people to front row seats at every live concert and sporting event. Oculus VR is the future.

a sucky future

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuu2

@jimmy_russell said:

I can assure you that Oculus and Facebook are completely separate companies. Oculus VR is a subsidiary of Facebook, Inc. The plan for Oculus is to replace the TV with an all-in-one mind-transportation entertainment device. It will also bring people to front row seats at every live concert and sporting event. Oculus VR is the future.

Zuckerberg has to find a way to monetize the billion people that use Facebook otherwise he is dead in the water. Having his own platform allows him to do this.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@jimmy_russell said:

@lostrib: Hopefully without people like you. If you hate Facebook, don't use it. It's simple really.

I don't really hate facebook, and I do use it

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kuu2
@clyde46 said:

I don't see how Facebook will turn the Rift into a Facebook device. The fact that Carmack is still on board tells a great deal. The Rift team needs money and Facebook has money, lots of it.

What does Facebook need?

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

So what is he gonna do exactly? Drop down the support of oculus and make it facebook only?

Come on get real.

Loading Video...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So is any web browser, Android, iOS, or any other platform where Facebook can be accessed. You're not making a clear point. You want to spin this as the focus of Oculus has changed from VR to some sort of a dedicated Facebook app device but that's not what's going on at all.

Furthemore that quote you are quoting is actually what the author of the article said, not what Zuckerberg or anybody at Oculus has said.

Everything by Oculus themselves and Mark Zuckerberg himself states that Oculus is its own independent company and how nothing is going to change with their original ideas. They aren't going to be making it Facebook exclusive and somehow lock the hardware out of being used as a monitor for video games. Remember, the Rift isn't some always-online piece of software, it's just a monitor with sensors.

Even your own article contradicts what you're implying...

That definitely happened for Zuckerberg. According to Iribe, after trying the headset, Zuckerberg said, "So that was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life, and maybe ever will see." He followed that declaration with a question: "How can I help?"

Iribe said he wasn't sure that a floating window of a Facebook app would be very popular in virtual reality.

"That's not what I'm talking about," Zuckerberg said. "We'd like to help you. What other big problems do you have?"

So basically you can choose to ignore all of them and make up these wild accusations about how Oculus Rift can't be used to play Steam games or you can just accept the fact that Oculus Rift hasn't changed at all.

Let me repeat myself. The Oculus Rift is not a piece of locked down software or some stand alone device like a tablet or cell phone. It's a monitor. A monitor that needs an input from a PC to display an image. It communicates positional data through sensors much like track IR and then the PC displays a uniquely formatted image to the monitor. That's it. The Oculus Rift is not a platform like iOS/Android. It's not going to be limited by some app store controlled by Facebook. None of that makes any sense and it's the exact opposite of what everybody at Oculus and Facebook have said about the device.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Oculus Rift will take Farmville to the next level.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Oculus Rift will take Farmville to the next level.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The Oculus Rift preventing Steam games from being played would be like a monitor preventing Steam games from being played. It's ludicrous. How any of you can even remotely think that would be a possibility is laughable.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Whole lotta conjecture.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

This thread should be locked. The title doesn´t reflect what the cited article is about.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

This thread should be locked. The title doesn´t reflect what the cited article is about.

Agreed. TC is simply flamebaiting.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@airshocker said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Agreed. TC is simply flamebaiting.

yes, i demand that tc be banned with immediate effect. this sort of behaviour is simply unacceptable

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kuu2

@Wasdie said:

So is any web browser, Android, iOS, or any other platform where Facebook can be accessed. You're not making a clear point. You want to spin this as the focus of Oculus has changed from VR to some sort of a dedicated Facebook app device but that's not what's going on at all.

Furthemore that quote you are quoting is actually what the author of the article said, not what Zuckerberg or anybody at Oculus has said.

Everything by Oculus themselves and Mark Zuckerberg himself states that Oculus is its own independent company and how nothing is going to change with their original ideas. They aren't going to be making it Facebook exclusive and somehow lock the hardware out of being used as a monitor for video games. Remember, the Rift isn't some always-online piece of software, it's just a monitor with sensors.

Even your own article contradicts what you're implying...

That definitely happened for Zuckerberg. According to Iribe, after trying the headset, Zuckerberg said, "So that was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life, and maybe ever will see." He followed that declaration with a question: "How can I help?"

Iribe said he wasn't sure that a floating window of a Facebook app would be very popular in virtual reality.

"That's not what I'm talking about," Zuckerberg said. "We'd like to help you. What other big problems do you have?"

So basically you can choose to ignore all of them and make up these wild accusations about how Oculus Rift can't be used to play Steam games or you can just accept the fact that Oculus Rift hasn't changed at all.

Let me repeat myself. The Oculus Rift is not a piece of locked down software or some stand alone device like a tablet or cell phone. It's a monitor. A monitor that needs an input from a PC to display an image. It communicates positional data through sensors much like track IR and then the PC displays a uniquely formatted image to the monitor. That's it. The Oculus Rift is not a platform like iOS/Android. It's not going to be limited by some app store controlled by Facebook. None of that makes any sense and it's the exact opposite of what everybody at Oculus and Facebook have said about the device.

We aren't talking about web browsers we are talking about a way for Facebook to bring in money from its product (users).

Itunes

Google store

Msoft Store

Steam

Those are all platforms that make money off of people buying things.

Now that being said there will be games but you won't be able to buy said game on Steam and play it on Oculus since Oculus will more than likely have its own store. Just like you can't play Xbox games on a Sony system. They might be the same game but they won't be interchangeable with this device.

What incentive is there to Facebook to have games purchased on Steam and played on their device?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

If you believe Facebook will use Rift for casual games like FarmVille, you'd probably be very wrong.

Facebook already stated earlier they want to offer more "core" games. Although, they didn't do much on that matter by now, but by purchasing Rift, they're heading to that direction. Hopefully.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@kuu2 said:

We aren't talking about web browsers we are talking about a way for Facebook to bring in money from its product (users).

Itunes

Google store

Msoft Store

Steam

Now that being said there will be games but you won't be able to buy said game on Steam and play it on Oculus since Oculus will more than likely have its own store. Just like you can't play Xbox games on a Sony system. They might be the same game but they won't be interchangeable with this device.

What incentive is there to Facebook to have games purchased on Steam and played on their device?

The Rift is a monitor, not a platform, piece of software, or a store. There is no Oculus store, no Oculus exclusive apps, none of that. Apps do not run on the Rift. The PS4/Xbox One could easily support the Rift as it's just a set of inputs and outputs. There is no processing or anything done on the Rift itself. Games output a video to the Rift and can, if they are programmed to, take motion control input gathered from the sensors on the Rift and apply it to camera movements in the game/application. There is nothing more to it.

You just named off a bunch of software stores, not a single one of them is a piece of hardware. You don't even know what you're talking about.

Facebook is trying to open up a demand for VR software and then exploit that demand through their own proprietary applications. That's their long term goal. They also probably want Oculus to generate its own income through hardware sales, so they are putting down an initial investment to make sure the hardware is good enough where people would actually want to buy it. Profits will come later when they've got their production methods, assembly, and distribution all figured out.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I wish everyone will take a chill pill relax and see where this is going before start condemning occulus just because facebook bought them. Hell if they want to use it for facebook stuff thats fine by me as long as they are still committed to pc games as their first and most important goal

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

I wish everyone will take a chill pill relax and see where this is going before start condemning occulus just because facebook bought them. Hell if they want to use it for facebook stuff thats fine by me as long as they are still committed to pc games as their first and most important goal

Facebook brought the product not the company that created it. And yes people really need to relax and see how this pans out

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kuu2

@Wasdie said:

@kuu2 said:

Itunes

Google store

Msoft Store

Steam

The Rift is a monitor, not a platform, piece of software, or a store. There is no Oculus store, no Oculus exclusive apps, none of that. Apps do not run on the Rift. The PS4/Xbox One could easily support the Rift as it's just a set of inputs and outputs. There is no processing or anything done on the Rift itself. Games output a video to the Rift and can, if they are programmed to, take motion control input gathered from the sensors on the Rift and apply it to camera movements in the game/application. There is nothing more to it.

You just named off a bunch of software stores, not a single one of them is a piece of hardware. You don't even know what you're talking about.

Facebook is trying to open up a demand for VR software and then exploit that demand through their own proprietary applications. That's their long term goal. They also probably want Oculus to generate its own income through hardware sales, so they are putting down an initial investment to make sure the hardware is good enough where people would actually want to buy it. Profits will come later when they've got their production methods, assembly, and distribution all figured out.

iTunes+iPod

Google Store+Android tablets and phones

Microsoft Store+Surface

Facebook Store+Oculus Rift

Makes perfect sense to me.

No one has been able to give any good reason why Facebook would want Oculus...............

It ain't so Facebook can let Oculus run on its own and not make money for Facebook that is for sure.

Manufacturing hardware as a main profit motivator is a race to the bottom without apps that are proprietary to that hardware.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kuu2

@IgGy621985 said:

If you believe Facebook will use Rift for casual games like FarmVille, you'd probably be very wrong.

Facebook already stated earlier they want to offer more "core" games. Although, they didn't do much on that matter by now, but by purchasing Rift, they're heading to that direction. Hopefully.

You are assuming that said games can come from anywhere and be used on their device. I have news for you they won't be.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IgGy621985

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

You are assuming that said games can come from anywhere and be used on their device. I have news for you they won't be.

Anywhere? Nope. Where did I write that? But I do assume Rift will be used for more hardcore games on Facebook.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Uh, where are you getting this news from? Please provide a source

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuu2

@IgGy621985 said:

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Anywhere? Nope. Where did I write that? But I do assume Rift will be used for more hardcore games on Facebook.

No one is denying that hardcore games won't come from Facebook, what I am saying is that said games won't be available on Steam or some other platform to be played on Oculus.

Oculus will handle the hardware and Facebook will be the platform for the games. Built in friends lists, chat, Gamerscore, app store, are all built in to Facebook now.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

No one is denying that hardcore games won't come from Facebook, what I am saying is that said games won't be available on Steam or some other platform to be played on Oculus.

Oculus will handle the hardware and Facebook will be the platform for the games. Built in friends lists, chat, Gamerscore, app store, are all built in to Facebook now.

Based on what?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kuu2

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

That is not fact, simply my opinion.

Why would Facebook allow you to play games (from other app stores) on their hardware when more than likely said hardware will have very little margin attached or none at all?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

@kuu2 said:

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Why would Facebook allow you to play games (from other app stores) on their hardware when more than likely said hardware will have very little margin attached or none at all?

To convince people to buy the hardware

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IgGy621985

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

@kuu2 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

We'll have to wait and see. I'm sure Facebook will have some kind of licensing program for other services like Steam.

Selling an expensive hardware that works exclusively on an unproven gaming platform is stupid. Then again, we're talking about Facebook which overpaid both WhatsApp and Rift.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kuu2

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

To convince people to buy the hardware

Facebook couldn't care less about the hardware side of this. It is simply a delivery device just like Wasdie said. Now pair that with over a billion people to market to, give them a place to shop for games, interactive apps twenty four seven, and a revolutionary way to experience them and you actually have a business plan.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

Not only do you have absolutely nothing to back your claim with, it's still extremely illogical. Why would Facebook arbitrarily limit the amount of software that can use the Oculus Rift? If you were stuck to only Facebook approved apps nobody would buy it.

Steam games will work fine. There is nothing in place that prevents Steam games from using the Rift. Facebook will most likely create their own VR store to distribute their own software in the future (if they even do that, I think Facebook has even higher-level things in mind) but they aren't going to lock out anybody.

Who would buy this thing if you can't play the games you want on it? Nobody would buy it. The product would die and their market would die along with it. There is no business plan there. Alternatives will kill Oculus Rift within a year or so as nobody is going to buy an expensive peripheral if they can't play their games on it.

You don't make your game for Oculus, you build a game and then allow it to use Oculus. There are already a lot of games on Steam that have Oculus support. This isn't going to go away. Facebook isn't going to lock down the API. Without content nobody will bother purchasing an Oculus Rift. I don't really think you understand the nature of this product. This isn't a device that can be locked down like you're saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Again, people not understanding how the Rift works or how business works.

The Rift doesn't play the games or run the software, it's just a screen. Also Facebook integrating stuff for it doesn't mean games will suddenly have ads or pop ups for Facebook. That's still entirely up to the dev to do

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kuu2

@seanmcloughlin said:

Again, people not understanding how the Rift works or how business works.

The Rift doesn't play the games or run the software, it's just a screen. Also Facebook integrating stuff for it doesn't mean games will suddenly have ads or pop ups for Facebook. That's still entirely up to the dev to do

In its current form no, but Facebook and Oculus can change that pretty easily.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Despite all of the misguided speculation from the pessimists, id still rather have an Oculus Rift than both an XBONE AND a PS4. I cant wait for the consumer version!

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@kuu2 said:

To not make the 2 billion investment go to waste. If it won't support open API nobody will make games for it. So the most Facebook would achieve is giving the market to whoever comes with similiar PC device.The movement to VR has already started on PC. By being open device Rift stands to gain dominance in the market, but there are many competitors that will gladly take over if Facebook would do something as dumb as close the device into their own app store.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

If they really do intend for the oculus to have its own dedicated storefront, then its already a no buy.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@kuu2: You mean like selling all their personal info to marketing companies?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kuu2

@wolverine4262 said:

If they really do intend for the oculus to have its own dedicated storefront, then its already a no buy.

To the hardcore gamer maybe but if you thought Facebook was concerned about hardcore gaming then you would be mistaken. They didn't buy Oculus to make money off the hardcore gamer they bought it to make money off their billion person network.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kuu2

@pelvist said:

Despite all of the misguided speculation from the pessimists, id still rather have an Oculus Rift than both an XBONE AND a PS4. I cant wait for the consumer version!

And yet you have people in this thread telling you that Oculus is only a display device.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@daious said:

This.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@kuu2: It is only a display device. You're trying to turn it into something it's not and then make up accusations based upon that.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

And so it begins

Poor herms. :(