Oculus Rift total sales 85,000 !

• 52 results
#1 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

Joystiq

Oculus Rift told TechCrunch that sales of its second-iteration dev kit are at about 25,000, taking the VR unit's total sales to around 85,000. For the dev kit 2.0, that figure accounts for around a month's worth of sales since pre-orders went live on March 19.

The $350 second-generation unit displays in OLED at 960 x 1080 resolution on each eye, and it offers positional head tracking via an external camera. Pre-orders are available now, but the kits aren't expected to ship until July.

If you've spent the last month living under a rock, you probably don't care that Facebook bought Oculus recently for the sum of 2 billion dollars (cue Dr Evil laugh). Even a few weeks on it's still a staggering thing to think about, especially when you consider how the device began its journey on Kickstarter just two years ago.

Here a trailer for a VR Cyberpunk game

#2 Posted by clyde46 (43522 posts) -

Well, when they started they said they were going to use phone parts. Funny how that ended up.

#3 Posted by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Well, when they started they said they were going to use phone parts. Funny how that ended up.

good thing they have lots of money now

#4 Edited by DeathLordCrime (140 posts) -

Despite some backlashes from the facebook buyout I doubt it really had that much of an major affect when only a minority of developers really complained about it.

#5 Posted by Heil68 (42619 posts) -

Is that good?

#6 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@deathlordcrime said:

Despite some backlashes from the facebook buyout I doubt it really had that much of an major affect when only a minority of developers really complained about it.

Far as I can tell it seem like the hipsters were the ones crying about it the most. All the negative feedback were over exaggerated.

#7 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Is that good?

For a product that's not even finished yet for over 300 dollars that is good.

#8 Edited by Shewgenja (7928 posts) -

85,000 developer kits? That's pretty crazy.

#9 Posted by DeathLordCrime (140 posts) -

Now they need some more dedicated game for the VR and with the money they have they can could fund some cool games for it.

#10 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

25,000 of them being the second dev kit that's been out for only like a month pretty damn good

#12 Posted by CroidX (925 posts) -

So have they announce an estimated release with the buy out and all it looks like development will speed up

#13 Posted by lawlessx (46243 posts) -

@deathlordcrime said:

Far as I can tell it seem like the hipsters were the ones crying about it the most. All the negative feedback were over exaggerated.

and most of the people complaining around here think Oculus rift is some sort of console.

#14 Posted by xhawk27 (7076 posts) -

it offers positional head tracking via an external camera.

I bet it could use Kinect for that. Anyone know the release date for the PC Kinect version.

#15 Posted by intotheminx (355 posts) -

I'm not ready for this lol. I know it looks awesome and all, but my mind is not ready. I've seen people on youtube complaining about how its messing with their head...I'm not ready lol. 85,000 is ridiculous though.

#16 Posted by bobbetybob (19086 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

I bet it could use Kinect for that. Anyone know the release date for the PC Kinect version.

Not really any point to it using Kinect, then they'd have to involve Microsoft in some way or pay them money. Any camera that can track the IR points on the headset is fine, the real issue is if those points move out of the cameras view which is something they'll need to fix eventually.

#17 Edited by Speak_Low (738 posts) -

@CroidX said:

So have they announce an estimated release with the buy out and all it looks like development will speed up

I thought this at first too, but at the recent PAX, Palmer Luckey said that it won't necessarily come out sooner. He said there are some global production obstacles that no amount of money can speed up.

But he said the good news about the Facebook acquisition is that the build quality and features of the Consumer version will be much better than they initially planned (and this could also be why production hasn't been accelerated. They now have a choice of better upgrades to play/experiment with now with Facebook backing).

I'm hoping for a late 2014 release but it's looking like it's going to be 2015. He hinted in the PAX interview that "one year from now we will understand why the the Facebook partnership was for the better in the long run"

#18 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@deathlordcrime said:

and most of the people complaining around here think Oculus rift is some sort of console.

the ignorance is astonishing

#19 Posted by santoron (7429 posts) -

Yeah, except most of those aren't going to people looking to develop any content, but the most enthusiastic gamers who didn't want to wait for a commercial release. This is a big part of the reason the OR founder was frankly concerned that content wasn't moving towards where it needs to be for a commercial launch.

The Facebook purchase supposedly gave them resources to help subsidize content going forward. We'll know how successful that was in another year.

#20 Edited by pelvist (4466 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Oculus have their own 60fps tracking camera specifically built for the Rift, as far as I am aware Kinect doesnt even offer 1:1 tracking ratio.

#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3739 posts) -

i'm impressed

#22 Edited by jhcho2 (4366 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@deathlordcrime said:

So when the Wii U was mistaken as being an add-on to the Wii, it's poor marketing, but when people don't know what Oculus Rift is, it's ignorance eh?

#23 Posted by Guy_Brohski (273 posts) -

Mark Zuckerberg must be so proud. Wait, 85K units? Nevermind...

#24 Posted by Nightflash28 (2046 posts) -

Mark Zuckerberg must be so proud. Wait, 85K units? Nevermind...

I don't think you know what you're talking about.
It's not 85k units shipped to consumers, the damn thing isn't even out yet. Those are 85k development kits. You think that's bad?
Knowing that there are ten thousands (!) of potential developers for "his" product, you can bet your butt that Zuckerberg is proud.

#25 Posted by murray69murray (126 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Is that good?

For a product that has been bought by Facebook.... I'm not sure.

#26 Posted by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@lawlessx said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@deathlordcrime said:

So when the Wii U was mistaken as being an add-on to the Wii, it's poor marketing, but when people don't know what Oculus Rift is, it's ignorance eh?

So complaining about something you don;t even know anything about it isn't?

#27 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3671 posts) -

I'm holding out till the retail version.

#28 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38155 posts) -

They had 55,000 before DK2 was announced if I remember so yeah these are good numbers

For something that people are so skeptical about and isn't nearly finished and comes at a pretty moderate price tag I'd say the Rift has done well

For a product that has been bought by Facebook.... I'm not sure.

Facebook only bought them very very recently. And for the consumer absolutely nothing has changed because of that. We haven't received a better Rift yet or a price drop so the Facebook acquisition shouldn't even factor into it.

When the retail model comes out and if they only have small sales then you should factor in the Facebook side of it

#29 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

Anyone know the OUYA numbers for comparison?

I don't find 85k to be a remarkable number.

#30 Edited by naz99 (988 posts) -

@kuu2: did you miss the part where everbody was talking about it not even being at retail yet?????.....the only way to get it is to pre order a Dev kit off their website and wait a few months...and you don't think 85,000 is a good number....lol

#31 Edited by Suppaman100 (3582 posts) -

So will it be a gimmick like the Wii?

#32 Edited by lostrib (31524 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Considering it's basically a peripheral that is still in development, it seems pretty good

#33 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@kuu2: did you miss the part where everbody was talking about it not even being at retail yet?????.....the only way to get it is to pre order a Dev kit off their website and wait a few months...and you don't think 85,000 is a good number....lol

No I don't.

OUYA also had major backing on Kickstarter as well. That's why I am asking what OUYA sold in comparison. Not that they are the same but it would give a little reference.

I don't understand the rush to proclaim something so niche as an absolute winner when VR is not some new technology.

#34 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

Considering it's basically a peripheral that is still in development, it seems pretty good

The original investment was sold on the original vision. Who knows what that will be since the Facebook purchase.

#35 Edited by Heil68 (42619 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Is that good?

I guess, seems low to me.

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38155 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Why isn't it remarkable? What are you comparing it against?

Considering the device is only meant for devs right now and is in it's DK1 stage with DK2 not even being released yet and still being like a year away from a full on retail release I'd say the numbers are good

Don't forget that it's prototype hardware and at a kind of steepish price for what it offers so far.

#37 Edited by musicalmac (22657 posts) -

I think that's huge. 85k out there in the wild already, for developers and hard-core hobbyists. Killer news, more than I expected them to move at such an early stage in development.

Really excited for the final product. The games I'm most looking forward to are the ones with real Rift support.

#38 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38155 posts) -

I think that's huge. 85k out there in the wild already, for developers and hard-core hobbyists. Killer news, more than I expected them to move at such an early stage in development.

Really excited for the final product. The games I'm most looking forward to are the ones with real Rift support.

The thing that's gonna make this big are actually non game oriented applications. The possibilities are endless really

Having seen properly implemented um.... pr0n with my Rift, I can tell you that it's REALLY going to take off when it's launched and we all know when that industry gets involved then it usually makes it a success lol

#39 Posted by musicalmac (22657 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

The thing that's gonna make this big are actually non game oriented applications. The possibilities are endless really

Having seen properly implemented um.... pr0n with my Rift, I can tell you that it's REALLY going to take off when it's launched and we all know when that industry gets involved then it usually makes it a success lol

Laughed out loud in my office just now.

#40 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin:

I can only compare it to other peripherals really which is not fair but that is why I brought up OUYA.

#41 Posted by g0ddyX (3868 posts) -

Hardgamers will take use of rift before casuals get their hands on it.
Also, it can be used for movies and other media things in future. No doubt 'pr0n' will take off on the rift.

#42 Edited by naz99 (988 posts) -

@kuu2: ouya is released occulus is not....

Ouya is an android console occulus is a head mounted display..

Not comparable.

Also nobody claimed it is an absolute winner.85,000 sales for unreleased unproven hardware that costs 300+ dollars is a good number whether you think it is or not.

#43 Edited by CroidX (925 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Heil68 said:

Is that good?

I guess, seems low to me.

These are dev kits not consumer version for the masses. You can only buy them from the OR website.

#44 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38155 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

I can only compare it to other peripherals really which is not fair but that is why I brought up OUYA.

Comparing a display device to a console is not the same thing. I fail to see why you bring up OUYA at all

Then again judging by your other thread, you haven't a clue how the Rift even works anyway along with a great amount of other people on the internet.

#45 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38155 posts) -

@g0ddyX said:

Hardgamers will take use of rift before casuals get their hands on it.

Also, it can be used for movies and other media things in future. No doubt 'pr0n' will take off on the rift.

There's already a site dedicated to 120 degree FOV pr0n for the Rift, I reckon the idea behind it is going to sell a LOT of Rifts

#46 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Comparing a display device to a console is not the same thing. I fail to see why you bring up OUYA at all

Then again judging by your other thread, you haven't a clue how the Rift even works anyway along with a great amount of other people on the internet.

Well I could compare it to Kinect, Move, or some other major peripheral but again that would not be fair.

Why do you think 85k is so great when you have nothing to compare it to. I can use major peripherals which is what should happen but that is kind of reach. Not as big your reach comparing it to nothing but that it is why I ask about the similarly funded OUYA.

#47 Posted by lostrib (31524 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Well I could compare it to Kinect, Move, or some other major peripheral but again that would not be fair.

Why do you think 85k is so great when you have nothing to compare it to. I can use major peripherals which is what should happen but that is kind of reach. Not as big your reach comparing it to nothing but that it is why I ask about the similarly funded OUYA.

well, no one knows the OUYA sales, but they're most likely shitty

Also, this device isn't even officially released

#48 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Hold on you are saying you don't know but are shitty, but you know 85k for Oculus is awesome........smdh.

#49 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Hold on you are saying you don't know but are shitty, but you know 85k for Oculus is awesome........smdh.

Around 58,000 Ouya were sold and sales have dropped since

https://twitter.com/syneryder/status/360818130756435968

#50 Posted by kuu2 (6786 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@lostrib said:

@kuu2 said:

@seanmcloughlin:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Around 58,000 Ouya were sold

https://twitter.com/syneryder/status/360818130756435968

So OUYA is $100-$175 less and sold less but still 58k. I would say neither is remarkable.

I think there is a large contingent that wants to see this succeed but I would be skeptical of anything Facebook owns and puts out.