Oculus Rift + PC = 'next generation consloles' are a joke

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

its a cool way to play but honestly like the Hydra and various other peripherals in the past it wont catch on.razgriz_101

I don't think it's anything like the Hydra. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Not all peripherals are the same.

The Oculus Rift is supposed to replace the monitor you play on in a way that is appealing to a great many people. Much more so than those interested in motion controllers.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

[QUOTE="dxmcat"]

What you gotta realize is that it renders two different images on two different screens, a genuine left eye and right eye view. No flicker, no bs.

3DTVs & Movies = Flickering different images on the same screen at a rapid rate, which bugs the **** out of most eyes.

emgesp

3D televisions will only get better as technology improves. The next step in 3D television tech is getting rid of those stupid glasses. Think 3DS, but way better technology.

The fact is though, one screen technology isnt as good as two. Your two eyes see two seperate angles. Best soliution is two screens, each from a l/r eye perspective.

Heck, at $300 bucks, I might pre-order a dev model too. That is a an awesome deal, and would totally buy a consumer model too so then I'd have two :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

This thing would be awesome to use in DayZ, too. That already supports TrackIR.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#154 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

airshocker
How does VR work in TPS games though? Isn't that one of its weaknesses? I mean if you see your character, the immersion is kind of broken, no?
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Oculus Rift + Star Citizen will be absolutely amazing.

A fighter sim is the perfect game for this kind of tech due to sitting in a cockpit as apposed to moving about. Apparently though they are trying to work out how to do lateral movement with it as well as head movement, which would be really cool.

Sounds as though they've really nailed the motion sickness effect of older style VR headsets.

I do plan on getting one but I'll be trying before buying. I want to be sure it's for me before I pump any money into a gizmo and it's not really something you can watch a video of and have any real idea of what it's like.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Sushiglutton
How does VR work in TPS games though? Isn't that one of its weaknesses? I mean if you see your character, the immersion is kind of broken, no?

You can be a stalker. Stalking your own character. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

How does VR work in TPS games though? Isn't that one of its weaknesses? I mean if you see your character, the immersion is kind of broken, no?Sushiglutton

It's not only for immersion. It's an easier way to look around you. In third-person it could just move the screen as you look around.

But I think it would be more fun to play in first-person.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]ya.. I pre-ordered it based on how crazy the media was raving about it. Hopefully they'll start shipping on March.airshocker

You preordered the dev kit?

ya I did. When I pre-ordered, the expected delivery if I remember correctly was on March. Now it says April https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/

It's not the final product of course just a developer kit (fully functional though), but I thought it might takes too long for the final product to come out, so I caved in and placed an order.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

ya I did. When I pre-ordered, the expected delivery was on March. Now it's says April https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/ It's not the final product, but I thought it might takes too long for the final thing to come out, so I caved in and placed an order.Mystery_Writer

But the tech is going to be different in the consumer model. :(

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]ya I did. When I pre-ordered, the expected delivery was on March. Now it's says April https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/ It's not the final product, but I thought it might takes too long for the final thing to come out, so I caved in and placed an order.airshocker

But the tech is going to be different in the consumer model. :(

I know, I honestly was thinking of holding off my purchase till the final product, but kept reading how every single media / devs was raving about it, and thought, fine let me get this one, and if I really liked the concept too much, I would also get the final product when it comes out as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I know, I honestly was thinking of holding off my purchase till the final product, but kept reading how every single media / devs was raving about it, and thought, fine let me get this one, and if I really liked the concept too much, I would also get the final product when it comes out as well.

Mystery_Writer

I can curb my enthusiasm until the consumer model comes out and there are a few games for me to play with it. :P I did contribute to kickstarter, though.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

airshocker

I can curb my enthusiasm until the consumer model comes out and there are a few games for me to play with it. :P I did contribute to kickstarter, though.

I missed out on kickstarter, I thought I could curb my enthusiasm till the final consumer model :P, but then those damn previews and impressions drove me nuts :P

I think it comes with a free copy of Doom 3 BFG edition. So that's something entertaining till more titles hopefully support this thing.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@OP

Yes...for hardcore gaming geeks.

As in, it's cool but only nerds and core gamers are really going to embrace the Oculus Rift tech fully in the foreseeable future.

So...

Potentially great tech, assuming it does what it says on the tin, but it's really not going to replace mainstream console gaming any time soon.

amaneuvering

"nerdz and geekz"

What is this the 90's? Call them enthusiasts with tons of cash probably have cool cars and hot chicks.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

@OP

Yes...for hardcore gaming geeks.

As in, it's cool but only nerds and core gamers are really going to embrace the Oculus Rift tech fully in the foreseeable future.

So...

Potentially great tech, assuming it does what it says on the tin, but it's really not going to replace mainstream console gaming any time soon.

Jankarcop

"nerdz and geekz"

What is this the 90's? Call them enthusiasts with tons of cash probably have cool cars and hot chicks.

Basically he is describing casual vs gamer.

I would agree - casuals won't do the Oculus. Just like PC, the good stuff will be embraced by the gamer, and not the casual.

There are no casuals on SW though, so everyone here should be hyped.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Sushiglutton

Less immersive for sure. This will shine with FPS / fixed position games (flying, driving, etc)

Still could be awesome in TPS, or something like an RTS where you would essentially be looking onto a big diorama. (huh, RTS would actually be amazing with this)

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"] its irrelevent anyways because the consumer version will support 1080p.Jankarcop

It will? then why is this argument going on? :?

Because its Low3. He's the ultimate troll at this site.

Fairly successful. You guys always take the bait.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

It will? then why is this argument going on? :?

clone01

Because its Low3. He's the ultimate troll at this site.

Owning him is too fun.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]Because its Low3. He's the ultimate troll at this site.

Jankarcop

Owning him is too fun.

How would you know?
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] Fairly successful. You guys always take the bait.lowe0

Owning him is too fun.

How would you know?

Atleast you aren't denying that you're a troll.

That would be too funny.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Owning him is too fun.

Jankarcop

How would you know?

That would be too funny.

Hmm? I'm certainly not. The definition of trolling is to disrupt discussion (flooding) or induce an emotional response. I'm doing neither... discussion continues, and I've stated over and over that all posts (not just mine) should be read and argued against dispassionately.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] How would you know?lowe0

That would be too funny.

Hpinocchio.jpg.

:lol:

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 lowe0
You have an actual argument to go with that failed attempt at humor? Specifically, evidence of attempting to obstruct others from discussion or attempting to intentionally anger other posters?
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Jankarcop

You have an actual argument to go with that failed attempt at humor? Specifically, evidence of attempting to obstruct others from discussion or attempting to intentionally anger other posters?verbal_diarrhea_mousepad-p14499485145426lowe0

Not going to bite. You mad?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]You have an actual argument to go with that failed attempt at humor? Specifically, evidence of attempting to obstruct others from discussion or attempting to intentionally anger other posters?verbal_diarrhea_mousepad-p14499485145426Jankarcop

No, really. Go ahead and state your case, and support it with evidence.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

How you know Oculus Rift will not work on consoles as well?

But yea I can see what you mean... Oculus Rift for me is something I've been waiting like crazy for many years, if implemented correctly it will change the way people used to game until now. Motion controllers were simply gimicks but man Virtual Reality... it's a whole new experience we've seen only in sci-fi movies. All the previus attempts to bring Virtual Reality to games during '80s and '90s failed miserably due to poor hardware. In '00s nobody even bothered... now after 30 years we see a big effort being made once again. Man when I see people like John Carmack being involved with the project I can only be so excited, for me he was one of the best pioneers in a video game history and he is pretty positive about it as well. Hope it will do good.

PS: By the way very good thread my friend, haven't seen one for a while.

Just check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpV7qq1vyd4

V3rciS

Correction, the only way to have real virtual reality is to integrade Kinect for picking up body movement with a 3D glass all around solution

The Oculous is completly obsolete really, since Kinect can do the head tracking anyway and insert your body in the game

I think the critical part is the Kinect one and not just a 360 degree display that is easy to do in the first place and already existed as tech years before Kinect

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

But yea I can see what you mean... Oculus Rift for me is something I've been waiting like crazy for many years, if implemented correctly it will change the way people used to game until now. Motion controllers were simply gimicks but man Virtual Reality... it's a whole new experience we've seen only in sci-fi movies. All the previus attempts to bring Virtual Reality to games during '80s and '90s failed miserably due to poor hardware. In '00s nobody even bothered... now after 30 years we see a big effort being made once again. Man when I see people like John Carmack being involved with the project I can only be so excited, for me he was one of the best pioneers in a video game history and he is pretty positive about it as well. Hope it will do good.

Just check this video

loosingENDS

Correction, the only way to have real virtual reality is to integrade Kinect for picking up body movement with a 3D glass all around solution

The Oculous is completly obsolete really, since Kinect can do the head tracking anyway and insert your body in the game

I think the critical part is the Kinect one and not just a 360 degree display that is easy to do in the first place and already existed as tech years before Kinect

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

Just check this video

Jankarcop

Virtual reality glasses existed about 30 years more than Kinect idea

Fact

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#178 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]You have an actual argument to go with that failed attempt at humor? Specifically, evidence of attempting to obstruct others from discussion or attempting to intentionally anger other posters?verbal_diarrhea_mousepad-p14499485145426Jankarcop

puke.gif

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

Just check this video

loosingENDS

Look I do understand what you're debating here but man Rift won't be based on body movement that much... there've been talks about alternative controllers and inputs like the "Motion sensor glove" but I think the best way would be simply to stick with a wireless controller. I can't imagine users walking in their room. A head movement and maybe self rotation would work to some extent. Kinect might enchance it yes but I wouldn't bet on that heavily.

Some users experienced minor dizziness on their first try of VR. That's because of the disorientation they felt, they were standing still while the in game character moved so your brain is getting confused whether you really move or not. Developers stated though that after your first few times you'll get used to it so I think just a normal controller could work perfectly. Also one can only wonder at how good the immersion level is... considering it was so real that even your brain was getting confused.

Also developers will have to focus on real in game depth... until now we've been having a pseudo dimension with incorrect analogies of characters body and environment. With VR in game worlds will be build more realistically than ever before...

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

Just check this video

V3rciS

Look I do understand what you're debating here but man Rift won't be based on body movement that much... there've been talks about alternative controllers and inputs like the "Motion sensor glove" but I think the best way would be simply to stick with a wireless controller. I can't imagine users walking in their room. A head movement and maybe self rotation would work to some extent. Kinect might enchance it yes but I wouldn't bet on that heavily.

Some users experienced minor dizziness on their first try of VR. That's because of the disorientation they felt, they were standing still while the in game character moved so your brain is getting confused whether you really move or not. Developers stated though that after your first few times you'll get used to it so I think just a normal controller could work perfectly. Also one can only wonder at how good the immersion level is... considering it was so real that even your brain was getting confused.

Also developers will have to focus on real in game depth... until now we've been having a pseudo dimension with incorrect analogies of characters body and environment. With VR in game worlds will be build more realistically than ever before...

But the VR idea existed way before anything, having a screen in glasses that surround you is as almost old as scren tech iteself

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#181 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

i hope they advertise this by may be travleing to different cities and doing events by letting people come in try it before release

something like they did for odst sounds cool. Throw everything in a truck and go

or set it up in some stupid gamestops. NA i prefer first one

airshocker

Would be nice if they were going to PAX East. Then I could actually get my hands on the thing and try it.

no events ever happen around my area, they always way too far
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#182 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

Just check this video

loosingENDS

When I turn around to be turned around in game, how will the Kinect track my face?

Also, when I turn around, how will I see the TV screen?

Also, also, the Kinect sucks at picking up small details and has way too much latency. I would love to watch someone try to do well in Unreal with it...