OCULUS RIFT LAUNCH DATE IS.... in 2016....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Seems kind of late to start partying, even thought they were the first to show up...

Oculus VR's long road to store shelves is going to be a little longer than some had hoped.

The virtual reality company, which Facebook bought for $2 billion last year, announced Wednesday that it plans to launchits headset device in the first quarter of next year.

So there you have it. What do you think? Ever since Valve and HTC announced the Vive, I've kind of fallen out of love with Oculus (even though the great Carmack resides in their ranks).

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

After trying it in 2013 at NYC Comic Con, I'm unimpressed. I just cant imagine wearing it for a extended time period.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 musicalmac  Moderator

@Heil68 said:

After trying it in 2013 at NYC Comic Con, I'm unimpressed. I just cant imagine wearing it for a extended time period.

Was that essentially DK1 or DK2? That was DK1, right?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@musicalmac said:
@Heil68 said:

That would have been the DK1 (at least I am pretty sure):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

Crystal Cove/DK2 didn't even come out until 2014. Even those versions are pretty inferior from what to expect to release, but the DK1 impressions are practically useless now as both the DK2/Crystal Cover offer a superior experience over DK1 and we are beyond that now with the Crescent Bay version.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 musicalmac  Moderator

@Renevent42 said:
@musicalmac said:
@Heil68 said:

Crystal Cove/DK2 didn't even come out until 2014. Even those versions are should be pretty inferior from what to expect to release, but the DK1 impressions are practically useless now as both the DK2/Crystal Cover offer a vastly superior experience over DK1.

Right, that was my impression, as well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@musicalmac said:
@Renevent42 said:
@musicalmac said:
@Heil68 said:

Crystal Cove/DK2 didn't even come out until 2014. Even those versions are should be pretty inferior from what to expect to release, but the DK1 impressions are practically useless now as both the DK2/Crystal Cover offer a vastly superior experience over DK1.

Right, that was my impression, as well.

I would expect it to get better as new revisions come out closer to release, but just the idea of wearing any headset is off putting to me.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Well, considering they've been hinting for awhile now that it wasn't going to release in'15, an early '16 launch qualifies as good news! That puts it out only a few months after Vive, and likely around or before Sony's headset. Considering how much of a focus Oculus put on getting quality titles lined up before launching the hardware, I'm expecting some big announcements from E3 and going forward on the games front.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Well I'm looking forward to it ;_;

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I think we've learned over time people don't like wearing stuff on their faces or covering their eyes to play games or watch tv.

No matter how impressive it may be.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Awesome, will build new rig next summer and if OR releasing before is perfect so I know what will be good specs for it. My guess is it will start off kind of slow and niche and really pick up in a few years.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I think we've learned over time people don't like wearing stuff on their faces, covering their eyes, to play games or watch tv.

Since the experiences offered so far by wearable tech has been nowhere near as impressive as proper VR, this is not something we have learned at all.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bread_or_Decide

@Sushiglutton said:

Awesome, will build new rig next summer and if OR releasing before is perfect so I know what will be good specs for it. My guess is it will start off kind of slow and niche and really pick up in a few years.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I think we've learned over time people don't like wearing stuff on their faces, covering their eyes, to play games or watch tv.

Since the experiences offered so far by wearable tech has been nowhere near as impressive as proper VR, this is not something we have learned at all.

Virtual Boy. In home 3D TV's. Not to mention the over all buzz and hype for oculus is all but dead. Also motion sickness says hello.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sushiglutton

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Virtual Boy. In home 3D TV's. Not to mention the over all buzz and hype for oculus is all but dead. Also motion sickness says hello.

So you honestly think that the experience Virtual Boy or 3d TV offer are close to what Oculus Rift will? Well, I have to disagree on that one ;)!

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renevent42
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

None of those offered anything even close to what (reportedly) this new technology offers. Regarding motion sickness that's also apparently been addressed (or close to being) even in the development models with lower latency screens/tracking. Even people who reported that they had motion sickness issues with earlier versions of the Rift now report they didn't have any issues with the newest version (or the Valve product).

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide

@Sushiglutton said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

So you honestly think that the experience Virtual Boy or 3d TV offer are close to what Oculus Rift will? Well, I have to disagree on that one ;)!

It's going to be about the same as virtual boy meets 3d tv meets vomit.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide

@Renevent42 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

None of those offered anything even close to what (reportedly) this new technology offers. Regarding motion sickness that's also apparently been addressed (or close to being) even in the development models with lower latency screens/tracking. Even people who reported that they had motion sickness issues with earlier versions of the Rift now report they didn't have any issues with the newest version (or the Valve product).

Reportedly.

aka we don't know for sure yet.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renevent42

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Renevent42 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Reportedly.

aka we don't know for sure yet.

Well, I think enough people have used it from all different places where it's not like Nintendo saying "Virtual Boy is totally awesome!". People from all walks of life (random people, game developers, video game reporters, etc) have tried it in person, and have almost all given very good impressions of the technology. Many of whom walked away completely impressed. Not say we should be setting up the fireworks and calling it day, I am waiting for the final versions to be reviewed/tested as well.

My point was, though, that it's really nothing like the subpar experiences that stuff like VRBoy offered. Even at release, it looked like shit.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sushiglutton

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

It's going to be about the same as virtual boy meets 3d tv meets vomit.

Haha ok, perfect SW answer!

Basically your argument is that because people didn't like this:

They are not going to like this:

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@musicalmac said:
@Heil68 said:

I think he's waiting for Project Morpheus for his PS4 ;)

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Have they tackled the nausea issue yet?