Oblivion Proves What Cows Have Said All Along

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
If you take a good developement team like Bethesda, and let them develop for both the PS3 & Xbox 360. The better game comes out on the better machine -- The PS3.

Now before you say, "BUT BUT... TEH EXTRA DEVELOPMENT TIME"

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (X360) Release Date: Mar 20, 2006

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) Release Date: Mar 13, 2007

The PS3 came out a year after the Xbox 360, but it's on track to be released BEFORE the 360 version going from the same Launch-to-Release time frames.

But, I'm no fool. Bethesda did happen to learn a few new tricks from the added experience of developing for the PS3 -- The NEW Shader Code -- Which WILL be patched through to the Xbox version eventually.

This new shader code makes textures at long distances appear cleaner and better. It does not account for the better, smoother, more consistent frame rates on the PS3. It does not account for the 50% faster load times. It does not account for farther draw distances. It does not account for less pop-in. It does not account for generally sharper textures (noted by GameSpot.) These features, as already confirmed by Bethesda, are optimizations which take advantage of the PS3 hardware and, will of course, have to remain exclusive to the system.

Let it be known from this day forth; Bethesda and Oblvion have proven what Cows have said all along - The PS3 is a technically more capable machine than the Xbox 360.
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
i heard the graphix on dat machine is gonna be tight yo.
Dekuxutu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dekuxutu
Member since 2006 • 6905 Posts
The 360 version was released a year ago.  The same graphical advantage is also being implemented into the 360 version with an update.
renger6002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 renger6002
Member since 2004 • 4481 Posts
if you say so....
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KeyWii
i heard the graphix on dat machine is gonna be tight yo.iunderstand
Fo' sho!
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Cool, but I wouldn't care so much for Oblivion since I've already played it. Great that you guys are getting a good game, but the comparison would be a lot more "ownage" if there was a multiplatform game for both systems releasing at the same time and one looked superior over the other.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KeyWii
The 360 version was released a year ago. The same graphical advantage is also being implemented into the 360 version with an update.Dekuxutu
Read everything before commenting please. I've already explained why you're wrong.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

That doesn't prove anything.

The extra development time is the sole reason why Oblivion looks and performs better on the PS3. If Bethesda had another years worth of  time to develop simultaneously for the 360 and PS3, odds are the 360 version would perform exactly the same as the PS3 version, if not slightly better.

And that's just one game. I can point to a whole slew of multiplats that look and perform better on the 360. Does that mean the 360 is significantly better than the PS3? No.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KeyWii
Cool, but I wouldn't care so much for Oblivion since I've already played it. Great that you guys are getting a good game, but the comparison would be a lot more "ownage" if there was a multiplatform game for both systems releasing at the same time and one looked superior over the other.yoshi_64
Sure. But in this day in age where you can patch older games, like Bethesda is doing for the 360 version, the PS3 version still stands head and shoulders above the updated 360 version.
Quack_Attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Quack_Attack
Member since 2005 • 2562 Posts
[QUOTE="Dekuxutu"]The 360 version was released a year ago. The same graphical advantage is also being implemented into the 360 version with an update.KeyWii
Read everything before commenting please. I've already explained why you're wrong.

Figure out when they got dev kits. Then you have an argument.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.
Dekuxutu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dekuxutu
[QUOTE="Dekuxutu"]The 360 version was released a year ago. The same graphical advantage is also being implemented into the 360 version with an update.KeyWii

There are better development techniques now than last year. The loading times are due to an installment onto the HDD inside the PS3. The cell has the advantage in CPU, which explains the framerates.

There are much better-looking games that have come out since Oblivion. The PS3 has the disadvantage in the GPU and memory, which means the 360 is capable of better textures.

Also, both the 360/PS3 launched in November with Oblivion launching in March. There are only several days in a launch/release ratio.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yoshi_64

Not quite, who said Bethesda wasn't working on the PS3 version sometime near the end of the 360's version? We have no real proof of when Bethesda began working on the PS3 version, even so, extra development time with next gen hardware allowed the company's team to learn new tricks and ways of implementing better performance on the hardware of the system. The update you said will be coming to Xbox 360, so right there proves your point that the PS3 isn't the better machine thanks to the fact that the 360 gets an update doing what the PS3 version will allow it to do.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Old,  I played that game a year ago. :lol:

audioaxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 audioaxes
Member since 2004 • 1570 Posts
the ps3 version is not even going to be better
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]Cool, but I wouldn't care so much for Oblivion since I've already played it. Great that you guys are getting a good game, but the comparison would be a lot more "ownage" if there was a multiplatform game for both systems releasing at the same time and one looked superior over the other.KeyWii
Sure. But in this day in age where you can patch older games, like Bethesda is doing for the 360 version, the PS3 version still stands head and shoulders above the updated 360 version.

Even then, each system has different pros and cons. The PS3 has HDD standard, and also a CPU that's much faster. However, the thing has less memory, not to mention it also has a weaker GPU than the 360's.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts
comes out a year later, i would hope it now has better graphics.
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ps3-nikita
Member since 2005 • 2945 Posts
Been hearing there isnt AA on the PS3 version.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KeyWii
the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.sonicare
OH GEE! YOU GOT ME! TOO BAD THE SAME IS APPLIED TO THE 360. lol
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

The PS3 version of oblivion is a 360 port with a couple tweaks, aslo 360 versions being patched so YOU FAIL.....

Ps. Enjoy the yearold leftovers :lol:

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.KeyWii

Not as long as they've had access to PS3 dev kits. :|

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

:|

They've still had an extra year. It's not like they started everything from scratch for the PS3.

parshanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 parshanb
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts
People, you really shouldnt waste your time responding to this thread, seriouslyR-Dot-Yung
I agree, this guy is a total cow, wow PS3 version released 1 year later will have "new" shader, i dont give a crap, The Cell is piece of junk, the 360 has the best games, best graphics, best everything, the onlything that the 360 sucks at is the noice of the system, which is loud thats it.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"]Cool, but I wouldn't care so much for Oblivion since I've already played it. Great that you guys are getting a good game, but the comparison would be a lot more "ownage" if there was a multiplatform game for both systems releasing at the same time and one looked superior over the other.yoshi_64

Even then, each system has different pros and cons. The PS3 has HDD standard, and also a CPU that's much faster. However, the thing has less memory, not to mention it also has a weaker GPU than the 360's.

Too bad there's no evidence of your weaker GPU claim coming from Oblivion. It has slightly less ram - maybe 6-12MBs worth that accounts for some missing downloadable content, but that is negligible, really. PS3 ram is much faster than 360's anywho.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
If you take a good developement team like Bethesda, and let them develop for both the PS3 & Xbox 360. The better game comes out on the better machine -- The PS3.

Now before you say, "BUT BUT... TEH EXTRA DEVELOPMENT TIME"

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (X360) Release Date: Mar 20, 2006

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) Release Date: Mar 13, 2007

The PS3 came out a year after the Xbox 360, but it's on track to be released BEFORE the 360 version going from the same Launch-to-Release time frames.

But, I'm no fool. Bethesda did happen to learn a few new tricks from the added experience of developing for the PS3 -- The NEW Shader Code -- Which WILL be patched through to the Xbox version eventually.

This new shader code makes textures at long distances appear cleaner and better. It does not account for the better, smoother, more consistent frame rates on the PS3. It does not account for the 50% faster load times. It does not account for farther draw distances. It does not account for less pop-in. It does not account for generally sharper textures (noted by GameSpot.) These features, as already confirmed by Bethesda, are optimizations which take advantage of the PS3 hardware and, will of course, have to remain exclusive to the system.

Let it be known from this day forth; Bethesda and Oblvion have proven what Cows have said all along - The PS3 is a technically more capable machine than the Xbox 360.
KeyWii
the fact that the extra developent time lead to a grahical update on the 360 PROVES that extra development time plays a big factor on PS3s version
Quack_Attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Quack_Attack
[QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.KeyWii

So basically your point is completely irrelevant, and you made zero rebuttal of his point. Good job, "genius".
Moonlight-AB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Moonlight-AB
Member since 2006 • 648 Posts
well ofcourse PS3 is a really capable machine, the 360 fans will 100% agree as well its only the 360 fanboys that don't.
parshanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 parshanb
Member since 2004 • 1347 Posts

The PS3 version of oblivion is a 360 port with a couple tweaks, aslo 360 versions being patched so YOU FAIL.....

Ps. Enjoy the yearold leftovers :lol:

deangallop
excatly, and look at the other 360 to PS3 ports ALL the games look better on 360,
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts

They've still had an extra year. It's not like they started everything from scratch for the PS3.

-RPGamer-

We have a winner!

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KeyWii

-RPGamer-
Good, and in that extra year they developed a new shader code, which you 360 owners are getting. The rest is not applicable to the 360, and no amount of development time could allow the 360 to share the same benefits.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Game21x
Okay, since Tony Hawk's Project 8, and COD 3 run better on the 360, I guess I can safely assume the 360 is the more powerful system of the two?
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

BTW, in response to the "extra dev time argument" oblivion was orginally planned to be released on ps3's launch and was delayed. Why the hell was it delayed? It was delayed because the extra dev time was needed for the ps3 version. Why would bethesda want to spend more time deving on the ps3 version? Why spend more time and money on a version that will sell much, less than the orginal? Because it didn't get extra dev time, at most; it got slightly more dev time than it actually needed to be a normal launch game...

mercenar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mercenar3
Member since 2006 • 2238 Posts

no just no we need to wait for a multi-plat to be released at the same time like virtua-fighter5 and such. We may even have to wait longer for cows and lemmings to come to some realization of hich is better.

USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts

Even if Bethseda didnt have access to a PS3(stupid) before launch, They have already made the game for 360, and all they have to do is port it to ps3, which has been out for almost 3 months, and still has a month to go until release of oblivion, giving them plenty of time to polish the graphics. And the graphics arent even changed much. Textures are the only thing visible, which isnt much better, and will be available for download on the 360. The draw distance isnt any better since there isnt much out now that could improve that, even if they did, the FPS would be lower than 360s.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Game21x
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

KeyWii

Good, and in that extra year they developed a new shader code, which you 360 owners are getting. The rest is not applicable to the 360, and no amount of development time could allow the 360 to share the same benefits.

Have you ever heard of optimization?

The developers had an extra year of development time, in this time, they optimized the game code to run smoothly on the PS3's hardware.

You act as if they couldn't have done the same thing for the 360 if they had the same amount of time.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.Quack_Attack

So basically your point is completely irrelevant, and you made zero rebuttal of his point. Good job, "genius".

How so? There's no way of telling Bethesda got the PS3 development kits before the 360 version, it wasn't long ago you lemmings were saying how Sony wasn't getting the dev kits out at all. Either way, it couldn't possibly account for much time -- a month at the most.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

KeyWii

link?
Quack_Attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Quack_Attack
[QUOTE="Quack_Attack"][QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.KeyWii

How so? There's no way of telling Bethesda got the PS3 development kits before the 360 version, it wasn't long ago you lemmings were saying how Sony wasn't getting the dev kits out at all. Either way, it couldn't possibly account for much time -- a month at the most.

Exactly, thank you for proving my point. There's no way of telling how long they've had them. By the way, I'm not a lemming.
Dekuxutu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dekuxutu
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"]Cool, but I wouldn't care so much for Oblivion since I've already played it. Great that you guys are getting a good game, but the comparison would be a lot more "ownage" if there was a multiplatform game for both systems releasing at the same time and one looked superior over the other.KeyWii

Too bad there's no evidence of your weaker GPU claim coming from Oblivion. It has slightly less ram - maybe 6-12MBs worth that accounts for some missing downloadable content, but that is negligible, really. PS3 ram is much faster than 360's anywho.

The 360 has 512MB unified ram between the CPU and GPU while the PS3 has 256MB each exclusive to the CPU and GPU. What this means is that if a 360 game only needs 200MB ram for the CPU, the other 312 can be used in the GPU for textures etc. The PS3 can only use 256MB max for the CPU and GPU at any given time. The 360 also has around 10 extra MBs of ram for the GPU.

This is why the 360 can produce better textures.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

KeyWii

Part of the perks the PS3 version is getting could in part be b/c it's lack of AA.

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts
Oh yeah, I really want a further draw distance at $200 extra dollars. :roll:
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="Quack_Attack"][QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.KeyWii

And with that statement you've contradicted yourself.

You say there's no way of telling when Bethesda got the PS3 dev kits...

But in the same breath you say it couldn't have accounted for much time...

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="Quack_Attack"][QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.Quack_Attack

Exactly, thank you for proving my point. There's no way of telling how long they've had them. By the way, I'm not a lemming.

You can bet they had about the same amount of time, if anything, they probably got the PS3 dev kits later than the 360 dev kits. So it doesn't prove anything.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

killtactics

link?

"So what about the shaders or optimizations? Rumors were released stating that everything in the PS3 version of the game would migrate over to the 360 or the PC, which kicked off a screaming match on boards about which version was ultimately better. According to Hines, the shader functionality that would re-render the low-res textures would inevitably make its way to the 360 build and PC in future updates. However, certain optimizations that take advantage of the system's hardware will remain exclusive to the PS3 version of the game."

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762882p1.html

Done and done
Quack_Attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Quack_Attack
Yeah, and I'll take extra content over lame graphical improvements. It's an open world RPG, not a movie.
Aerosmith_Lova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Aerosmith_Lova
Member since 2006 • 684 Posts

k, go play you're new shaded oblivion

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KeyWii

[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="Quack_Attack"][QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="sonicare"]the developers have had access to the system before its launch, genius.The_Game21x

And with that statement you've contradicted yourself.

You say there's no way of telling when Bethesda got the PS3 dev kits...

But in the same breath you say it couldn't have accounted for much time...

You're being naive if you think there was a great amount of time separating the arrival of development kits. PS3 Dev Kits were going out as late as October of last year
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KeyWii
The 360 has 512MB unified ram between the CPU and GPU while the PS3 has 256MB each exclusive to the CPU and GPU. What this means is that if a 360 game only needs 200MB ram for the CPU, the other 312 can be used in the GPU for textures etc. The PS3 can only use 256MB max for the CPU and GPU at any given time. The 360 also has around 10 extra MBs of ram for the GPU.

This is why the 360 can produce better textures.
Dekuxutu
Is that why GameSpot said the PS3 version had sharper textures?
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
I don't think it will shock anyone when multiplats look nicer on the PS3 in the future. So many devs have already said things like the stronger version will be on the PS3 and its nice we're seeing proof too.