Oblivion 5 confirmed !

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Given how succssful the series is.....was anyone really surprised by this news?
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="darklord888"]Since they dumbed it down big time. Morrowind >>>>>>> Oblivion. No more scaling levels or random loot! :cry:

There's quite a bit to learn in Oblivion. I think most casuals would be turned off.

Like what? They cut tons out that was in Morrowind and made it a very basic RPG rather than a very complex but very deep one like Morrowind. All you need to do is follow the arrows, swing a sword and ride a horse.
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#103 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
What they need to do is take Oblivion combat, and Morrowind's setting, improve both, and you'd have me sold.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

[QUOTE="Felous1"]Since when does Oblivion appeal to casuals ?foxhound_fox

Since level scalling, horrible skill system and fast travel.

I would get rid of level scaling, but for the love of GOD KEEP FAST TRAVEL! I couldn't playing an Elder scrolls game with out it.  Just a waste of time when there's no need to walk back and forth all the time.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Wouldn't that be Elder Scrolls? Wow, this makes me think you new to the Elder Scrolls series if you said Oblivion 5. I want a Morrowind like one, that particular one was awesome.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"]Like what? They cut tons out that was in Morrowind and made it a very basic RPG rather than a very complex but very deep one like Morrowind. All you need to do is follow the arrows, swing a sword and ride a horse.

You really have to read the manual to know several things. I think that itself proves that it's not very casual friendly since it's not totally pick up and play.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 darklord888

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Felous1"]Since when does Oblivion appeal to casuals ?Donkey_Puncher

I would get rid of level scaling, but for the love of GOD KEEP FAST TRAVEL! I couldn't playing an Elder scrolls game with out it.  Just a waste of time when there's no need to walk back and forth all the time.

No! fast travel makes it seem small and crappy and it loses the whole feeling of exploring and being lost in another world. We need transports like stilt striders and boats like in Moorowind.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Donkey_Puncher

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="jwcyclone15"]IF you actually think Oblivion doesn't appeal to casuals, than just do yourself a favor and get morrowind for the PC.
jwcyclone15
Lol... how does that even make sense ?

I spelled one word wrong, and it's now fixed
It makes perfect sense, you try to say Oblivion isn't casual but without playing past games in the series....thats a noobs mistake.

If making it "casual" meant making it playable compared to Morrowind's horrid combat system then I'm happy they "casualized" it. 

I can't understand why people loved Morrowind so much more.  I agree that it was more indepth, but Oblivion was playabe to more people.

Why can't they just combine both of their strengths and make TEH UBER ES: 5?

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Felous1
No! fast travel makes it seem small and crappy and it loses the whole feeling of exploring and being lost in another world. We need transports like stilt striders and boats like in Moorowind.darklord888
Uh ? Why limit the options of the game when you don't need to use it ?
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Donkey_Puncher

No! fast travel makes it seem small and crappy and it loses the whole feeling of exploring and being lost in another world. We need transports like stilt striders and boats like in Moorowind.darklord888

If you've discovered a place, why not?  I'm not saying fast travel to new locations, but I couldn't stand having to walk everywhere just to talk to somebody and then hit the road again.  It's a chore.

Skippyj9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#111 Skippyj9
Member since 2004 • 2825 Posts
Oblivion 5? When did Oblivion 2 happen? I think you mean Elder Scrolls V....
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 darklord888
[QUOTE="darklord888"]No! fast travel makes it seem small and crappy and it loses the whole feeling of exploring and being lost in another world. We need transports like stilt striders and boats like in Moorowind.Felous1

Because having the opinion ruins the feel of the size. That is why everyone who has played Morrowind says it feels much bigger even though it's 1/3 the size.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Donkey_Puncher

[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="darklord888"]No! fast travel makes it seem small and crappy and it loses the whole feeling of exploring and being lost in another world. We need transports like stilt striders and boats like in Moorowind.darklord888

Because having the opinion ruins the feel of the size. That is why everyone who has played Morrowind says it feels much bigger even though it's 1/3 the size.

It's simple, then don't use the option to fast travel.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
NO!
They get worse every game, they just need to trash that series.
Voryn_Dagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Voryn_Dagoth
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
They better make it more like Morrowind, instead of complete n00b-friendly. I mean, where is the fun in scaled enemies.....I need to feel a scale of power here! And feel the need to acquire obscenely high levels :D
orangeonxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 orangeonxbox
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]and oblivion also had a 3rd person viewFelous1
Not again... Oblivion is not playable in third-person. Matter of fact, it is a pain to even rotate the camera in third-person.

I played the entire game in 3rd got the 1000 achievements too, we will have to agree to disagree. The only thing it needs is a zoom on one of the triggers as the camera is too far back. Apart from that it is fine.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]um i think it was pretty much a givin that they were going to make a new Elder Scrolls game,but i don't think it will be coming out anytime soon..Felous1
1up said it indeed won't. And like I said I hope it's third-person this time. What's the point of having cool armor sets when you don't get to appreciate it ?

If you want to admire your fruity little armor switch to third person.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Morrowind was dumbed down 100% of the way, too.  (Comparing to Daggerfall)

Auto-travel was also in Daggerfall (although I can see why it would appeal to casuals, but it wouldn't make the entire game "Teh Cazzuelle!")

The skill system in Oblivion needs some working, but the amount of majors they give you is perfect (7 majors is a great number for a character, not 5 major/5 minor).  They do need to include some skills that were in Morrowind, however.  (Spears, Medium Armor (maybe), unarmored/clothing mainly).

Don't get me started on the level scaling.  FFVIII did it too (it was better done however) and according to GS it's the best FF in the series.  The only issue with level scaling is the enemies need a maximum level, and a minimum level (like in FFVIII).  Rats should start at like, level 1 and max at level 5 while Liches should start at level 25 and end at level 75, etc.  I do think all the enemies need to be present in the gameworld at one time, not after you reach a certain level.  Same with the armor and weapons.  That's the only part about Oblivion's level-scaling system that I don't like.  It could be done better.

Also, the combat in Oblivion was better than in the past games where you could swing at an enemy watch as blood flies out and do no damage.

I'm not saying any of the games are bad, but the all have their faults.  MS needs to make Morrowind BC!!!

In order for TES:V to be as good as it can be, they'd need to include things from all the games in the series (Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion)

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Felous1
If you want to admire your fruity little armor switch to third person.Hot_Potato
I wanna admire my armor while killing stuff, too.
Voryn_Dagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Voryn_Dagoth
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="darklord888"]Since they dumbed it down big time. Morrowind >>>>>>> Oblivion. No more scaling levels or random loot! :cry:

There's quite a bit to learn in Oblivion. I think most casuals would be turned off.

Like what? They cut tons out that was in Morrowind and made it a very basic RPG rather than a very complex but very deep one like Morrowind. All you need to do is follow the arrows, swing a sword and ride a horse.

Exactly, and Morrowind had extremely epic weapons and gear, like the TrueFlame, the Mace of Aevar Stone Singer, the Royal Signet Ring, Keening, Sunder, Wraithguard, immunity to disease, etc. In Oblivion, what do I get? The stupid imperial dragon armor...that thing was a piece of junk, the Crusader armor? Mehrune's Razor? I mean why the heck were items scaled down that much in Oblivion too?
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#121 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
what consolespoopinloop32
probably the 3rd xbox and ps4
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#122 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

[QUOTE="poopinloop32"]what consolesFlawlessSeasons
probably the 3rd xbox and ps4

Is that confirmed? If so you have a link?

TemplaerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123 TemplaerDude
Member since 2003 • 15254 Posts
Man I hate that, when Morrowind came out people would call Oblivion "Morrowind 4." Now it's Oblivion 5 eh? Jeez I just know that's going to catch on too. Also, I'm sure Bethesda is working on it, though it probably won't be revealed for a year or two at best. They were working on Oblivion just before Morrowind hit the shelves. Though right now they're probably focusing mostly on Fallout.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#124 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
First of all, to the TC, it's Elder Scrolls 5. Not Oblivion 5.

The next game that Bethesda is working on is the expansion of Oblivion, Shivering Isles n00bcakes. There wont be an Elder Scroll's 5 for a while yet since Shivering Isles is still not even close to being finished.DSgamer64
Uggh.... Listen, Bethesda were working on Oblivion right after Morrowind was released. And 2 expansions were released for Morrowind (Tribunal and Bloodmoon). So they are probably working on ES5 right now. And I do hope it goes back towards the Daggerfall-esque series. Oblivion was too dumbed down for my liking.
Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"]Umm.. you do realize that oblivion had an optional 3rd person view right?Felous1
Of course I do. But it totally sucks. Not to mention that the game is not really playable in third-person.

Except in some cramped areas I played most of that game in 3rd person mode. Takes a little more practice but after that I was much better than 1st person. I wouldn't say it sucked. Now Morrowind's 3rd person, THAT was awful.
mestizoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 mestizoman
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts
[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"]Umm.. you do realize that oblivion had an optional 3rd person view right?Felous1
Of course I do. But it totally sucks. Not to mention that the game is not really playable in third-person.

actually i found it a bit easier when using swords, because your never blindsided
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

yeah the game looked pretty bad in third person...also looked like you were gliding on the floor
bender007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 bender007
Member since 2005 • 4377 Posts

[QUOTE="Felous1"]Since when does Oblivion appeal to casuals ?foxhound_fox

OMG I hated the skill system and leveling

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Felous1
First of all, to the TC, it's Elder Scrolls 5. Not Oblivion 5..Danm_999
I know... where you do think I got the 5 from ?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]First of all, to the TC, it's Elder Scrolls 5. Not Oblivion 5..Felous1
I know... where you do think I got the 5 from ?

Ok, if you know. You probably could have said something like "Oblivion sequel confirmed".
godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 godhandiscen
Member since 2003 • 3454 Posts
I want it like Daggerfall.

161,600 square miles
15,000 Town,Cities,Villiages and Dungeon
750,000 NPCs

Oblivion is 1/10000 that games size

It had 6 different endings too
If it was night you had to scale the town walls to get in cause it was locked or bandits would attack you

Xbox360gamer1

Draggerfall had tons of procedurally generated content. Jezz, going through fields killing enemies just to have a 1000 hours adventure isnt my cup of tea.
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts
Morrowind was dumbed down 100% of the way, too. (Comparing to Daggerfall)

Auto-travel was also in Daggerfall (although I can see why it would appeal to casuals, but it wouldn't make the entire game "Teh Cazzuelle!")

The skill system in Oblivion needs some working, but the amount of majors they give you is perfect (7 majors is a great number for a character, not 5 major/5 minor). They do need to include some skills that were in Morrowind, however. (Spears, Medium Armor (maybe), unarmored/clothing mainly).

Don't get me started on the level scaling. FFVIII did it too (it was better done however) and according to GS it's the best FF in the series. The only issue with level scaling is the enemies need a maximum level, and a minimum level (like in FFVIII). Rats should start at like, level 1 and max at level 5 while Liches should start at level 25 and end at level 75, etc. I do think all the enemies need to be present in the gameworld at one time, not after you reach a certain level. Same with the armor and weapons. That's the only part about Oblivion's level-scaling system that I don't like. It could be done better.

Also, the combat in Oblivion was better than in the past games where you could swing at an enemy watch as blood flies out and do no damage.

I'm not saying any of the games are bad, but the all have their faults. MS needs to make Morrowind BC!!!

In order for TES:V to be as good as it can be, they'd need to include things from all the games in the series (Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion)

Saturos3091

Daggerfall needed auto travel,
The game was like 161,600 Square miles
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

Why on earth would they continue the TES series?  We've already witnessed the pinnacle of the game and the fulfillment of the TES plotline.  I love TES games, but why can't Bethseda design a new game world that functions with an improved engine?

What on earth could the plot of TES:5 resemble?  "PUT THE EMPIRE BACK TOGETHER?!"

oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#134 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Hopefully, they will drop the crappy Oblivion "appeal to casuals" and go back to Daggerfall/Morrowind style.Felous1
Since when does Oblivion appeal to casuals ?

lol?! since when hasnt oblivion appealed to casuals?!
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Danm_999

Why on earth would they continue the TES series? We've already witnessed the pinnacle of the game and the fulfillment of the TES plotline. I love TES games, but why can't Bethseda design a new game world that functions with an improved engine?

What on earth could the plot of TES:5 resemble? "PUT THE EMPIRE BACK TOGETHER?!"

FoamingPanda
No. The Empire has only been around for a few hundred years in Tamriel's thousands of years of history. TES5 could be all about the aftermath and wars caused by decentralised rule.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts
[QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

Why on earth would they continue the TES series? We've already witnessed the pinnacle of the game and the fulfillment of the TES plotline. I love TES games, but why can't Bethseda design a new game world that functions with an improved engine?

What on earth could the plot of TES:5 resemble? "PUT THE EMPIRE BACK TOGETHER?!"

Danm_999

No. The Empire has only been around for a few hundred years in Tamriel's thousands of years of history. TES5 could be all about the aftermath and wars caused by decentralised rule.

I see your point, but sometimes you must walk away from a series while it still inherits a noble legacy.  After Tolkien finished LoTR, few authors attempted to grab his franchise tag and begin writing direct sequels.  I don't see why consumers would want to play a TES game beyond the series epic and awesome final chapter (the final boss battle was about the only thing really great about Oblivion).  We should demand a new free-roaming RPG, in a far different land, that could take us back to the gritty and complex days of Daggerfall.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I loled at Obliovion 5,seriously edit the title,but on to the topic it's no surprize that bethesda are going to make anotehr elder scroll game,but we won't be seeing it until the next gen consoles start to roll out,so a min of 3 years from now,but it's not that bad as bethesda is coming out with there first expansion in a month and i'm sure one or two more will follow,and i mean BIG expansions not some wizards tower ect
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

that because first person is the way games like oblivion is meant to be played.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="Felous1"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Hopefully, they will drop the crappy Oblivion "appeal to casuals" and go back to Daggerfall/Morrowind style.justforlotr2004
Since when does Oblivion appeal to casuals ?

Have you not played Morrowind or Daggerfall?  Oblivion is 100% dumbed down for casuals.

casual is where the money is and thats all the devs care about
chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
[QUOTE="farnham"]where is oblivion 2,3,4.._ i think you mean the elder scrolls 5

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 chester706
Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.
Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
Do you not mean "The Elder Scrolls V?"

Hopefully, they will drop the crappy Oblivion "appeal to casuals" and go back to Daggerfall/Morrowind style.foxhound_fox
I completely agree with you. Take out the arrow that's pointing your way and let us search for it ourselves. That's what we like about these kind of games, that's what we liked more about morrowind. - No more medieval world, I want a fantasy world like morrowind had. - More creativity in landscapes - Unique weapons again, so we can hunt for artifacts. - Death to the arrow in your navigation bar. - Give us back the Nerevarine - ... and so on and on and on... Not that Oblivion isn't good... it has an interesting storyline... but it just can't match the greatness of Morrowind.
-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 -Sora
Member since 2004 • 15152 Posts

Maybe it was dumbed down for the better, as i recall Oblivion scored way higher than Morrowind and Daggerfall.

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 chester706
[QUOTE="chester706"]Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.darklord888
It's not real time. :?

Ya it is you hit them it counts damage.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="chester706"]Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.chester706

Wasn't it that way in Morrowind? >_>
chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 chester706
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Do you not mean "The Elder Scrolls V?"

Hopefully, they will drop the crappy Oblivion "appeal to casuals" and go back to Daggerfall/Morrowind style.Sensui1986
I completely agree with you. Take out the arrow that's pointing your way and let us search for it ourselves. That's what we like about these kind of games, that's what we liked more about morrowind. - No more medieval world, I want a fantasy world like morrowind had. - More creativity in landscapes - Unique weapons again, so we can hunt for artifacts. - Death to the arrow in your navigation bar. - Give us back the Nerevarine - ... and so on and on and on... Not that Oblivion isn't good... it has an interesting storyline... but it just can't match the greatness of Morrowind.

I agree on all of these. I would just say to keep the combat the same from Oblivion.
chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 chester706
[QUOTE="chester706"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="chester706"]Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.PannicAtack

No it was more like turn based because you didnt always hit them when you attacked.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 darklord888
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="chester706"]Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.chester706

Yeah sorry I misread I thought you mean the game is IN real time.
[QUOTE="chester706"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="chester706"]Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.PannicAtack

Yes but it was more of a % type thing like in WoW or other RPG's.
chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 chester706
[QUOTE="chester706"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="chester706"]Oblivion combat is WAY better than Morrowind's IMO because it is actually real time and more realistic.darklord888

Yeah sorry I misread I thought you mean the game is IN real time.

Yes but it was more of a % type thing like in WoW or other RPG's.

Its fine and ya, thats what I meant about the percentage of hitting damage.