∆ ∆ □ O X L1 L1 ↓ ↑

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

I've come to notice that during the 7th Gen, Cheat codes weren't used much in video games.

The topic title is my favorite PS2 GTA San Andreas cheat code, which spawned the Hydra Jumpjet that I so enjoyed flying around in.

I'm sure Nintendo is still sticking to the tradition and using cheat codes. Is this just a PS3/360 thing, or why do you guys think developers stopped putting cheat codes in their games?

#2 Edited by clr84651 (4812 posts) -

Because they wanted to.

#3 Posted by Snugenz (11114 posts) -

Blame achievments/trophies for the destruction of cheat codes.

#4 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23172 posts) -

it was because of achievements and trophys.

if you can use a cheat to get them it makes the whole concept silly.

#5 Edited by freedomfreak (36420 posts) -

GTAV could've had the best cheats, but Rockstar somehow messed that up.

"Hey man! Here's an invincibility cheat! Go crazy!"

But only for 4 minutes.

#6 Edited by Heil68 (40487 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

along with them selling the codes now.

#7 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

ooh didn't think of that

#8 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (23658 posts) -

Nintendo Games never had Cheat Codes.

At least not in the same line that GTA or Mortal Kombat had. I can't think of a Single Nintendo owned/made game that had a Cheat Code. Exploitable Glitches yes, but no actual "Cheat" codes.

#9 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

At least not in the same line that GTA or Mortal Kombat had. I can't think of a Single Nintendo owned/made game that had a Cheat Code. Exploitable Glitches yes, but no actual "Cheat" codes.

I wouldn't know : /

#10 Posted by PannicAtack (20628 posts) -

@Riverwolf007 said:

ooh didn't think of that

They could just disable achievements when you use cheat codes, though. For example, New Vegas disables achievements if you go into the console to do things.

And I remember in Knights of the Old Republic using cheats would put a big yellow "CHEAT USED" message up on your save file.

#11 Posted by PhazonBlazer (10975 posts) -

But only for 4 minutes.

I just use Skyfall when my invincibility is up and re-enter the invincibility for when I land lel

But yeah it really does suck that there's a timer on them.

#12 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23172 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

ooh didn't think of that

They could just disable achievements when you use cheat codes, though. For example, New Vegas disables achievements if you go into the console to do things.

And I remember in Knights of the Old Republic using cheats would put a big yellow "CHEAT USED" message up on your save file.

it is extra work and time spent on the title and extra work cuts into profit so kudos to devs that go the extra mile but it will never be a common thing.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (4548 posts) -

Superman's Password ?

#14 Posted by RossRichard (2228 posts) -

They still have cheats in games. They are called 'microtransactions' these days.

#15 Posted by GhoX (4546 posts) -

At least they are not selling cheats like DLCs!

Oh wait...

On PC it's pretty easy if you want to cheat, but the only experience you'll be ruining is your own. Still, freedom and choice.

#16 Posted by g0ddyX (3732 posts) -

They still have cheats in games. They are called 'microtransactions' these days.

Aint that the truth.
Good old cheat codes.

I think you can do a lot more with modded PC games though.

#17 Edited by nini200 (8839 posts) -

Couldn't have said it better myself.

/thread

#18 Posted by handssss (1331 posts) -

I remember once I used too many cheats in San Andreas and this made madd dog always kill himself on that one mission in the game. Pissed me off there was a limit to how many cheat codes you could enter until I learned of the better cheats (using invincibility and infinite ammo instead of constantly using the health, armor, and ammo codes)

Also had so much fun with flying cars, flying boats, and giving every citizen a randomly generated weapon and then setting all A.I. into riot mode and trying to see how long I could survive.

#19 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

But only for 4 minutes.

I just use Skyfall when my invincibility is up and re-enter the invincibility for when I land lel

But yeah it really does suck that there's a timer on them.

Your sig makes me want to create an Infamous 2 hype thread right now. Maybe I will

#20 Edited by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

Because they sell cheat codes to you as micro-transactions

#21 Edited by dotWithShoes (4745 posts) -

Sarcasm much? During the NES days there were cheat codes to be had everywhere.

#22 Posted by RossRichard (2228 posts) -

That supposed to be a joke? I had three separate guides for NES games that were each over 200 pages that were loaded with cheat codes. Nintendo Power got its start giving people cheat codes. Hell, you ever heard of the Game Genie?

#23 Edited by mems_1224 (44748 posts) -

I dont really miss cheat codes.

#24 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (770 posts) -

I dont really miss cheat codes.

I do, because I didn't use cheat codes to "beat the game", I used cheat codes for FUN.

GTA V was disappointing in terms of cheat codes.

#25 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Yeah cheats were the best part of GTA both on PS2 and on the PSP. I used to play just to have fun with cheats. I didn't have enough attention span to play campaigns in open world games. I only played to screw around and use cheat codes,

#26 Posted by gMcR (216 posts) -

Probably because of achievements. You can still cheat in most PC games though.

#27 Edited by locopatho (19727 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

That's not true, it's trivial to disable achievements when cheats are on. I've seen it in more than one game. Crackdown springs to mind.

#28 Edited by locopatho (19727 posts) -

Because they sell cheat codes to you as micro-transactions

That's more true unfortunately.

#29 Edited by l34052 (2980 posts) -

I love cheat codes personally, after playing around with the game i like to see what mess i can create playing it with cheats.

#30 Edited by R4gn4r0k (14475 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

Because they wanted to.

Because they can sell them later to you as DLC

#31 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (23658 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Sarcasm much? During the NES days there were cheat codes to be had everywhere.

NES games =/= Nintendo made games.

Go ahead and tell me a button code for any Nintendo game. I don't know of one.

@LegatoSkyheart said:

That supposed to be a joke? I had three separate guides for NES games that were each over 200 pages that were loaded with cheat codes. Nintendo Power got its start giving people cheat codes. Hell, you ever heard of the Game Genie?

3rd Party tool assisted Cheat Codes are not the same.

I could blaze right through Xmen 2: Clone Wars using a Button Code in the game without Game Shark or Game Genie or whatever (this is what I'm talking about).

I know you could use these things in nearly all Nintendo games, but no Nintendo game has a natural Cheat Code like the Famous Konami Code.

#32 Posted by voljin1987 (621 posts) -

The PC version of Skyrim had cheats.

#33 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

The PC version of Skyrim had cheats.

Preaching to the choir, duud