"NX not aiming to compete with PS4 on a power level"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Too bad SW has only 1 true sheep left, back in 2008 this would've been so laughable and seeing sheep dc would've been even funnier :(

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

Will not be shocked if this is true based on everything Iwata has said lately.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

It'll have a central gimmick built around Nintendo's core franchises only, it will have some neat Nintendo games, and it will lose all third party support (of whatever little it ever has) within a year of launch. It will then sit and rot on store shelves with a trickle of first party games coming in at a glacial pace. That is what will happen. The Wii was a fluke, everyone with a logical mind can recognize that, they will not recapture lightning in a bottle. Nintendo software alone is no longer seen as justification for buying a piece of hardware to play by the general public.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#104 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

If they are not aiming at core gamers, why would they devide their own comunity?!

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

So NX so far sounds like Nintendo will merge the Console / handheld market into one. Handheld will play the Handheld centric games which you will be able to play on the Console while the Console will play the Handheld / Console games.

This is what Nintendos next hook is going to be...

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

I will not be surprised if there's some truth in this.

Edit: This is what someone said about the guy making these claims. "For those who doesn't know - this guy had reported about PS4 Uncharted collection, Fallout 4 Pip-boy collector's edition etc". before they were announced".

He also has information about PS4/XBO port of ZombiU which is not yet confirmed but there was "Zombi" for Xbox One by Ubisoft in one of rating agency lists recently. So this guy seems to really have some inside information".

Only time will time.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Told you, if you want to make cheaper hardware you have to make cheaper hardware, not rocket science they are obviously aiming at a lower price point, or the same price point and an expensive gimmick like the Xbone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

.... Nintendo needs a management overhaul .... they havn't got a fkin clue.

I bet they havn't improved the software/firmware/operating system much either....

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#109 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Conjecture, conjecture, conjecture.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

@ProtossX said:
@locopatho said:
@ProtossX said:

yeah but the guy is asking way too much. He wants them to build a super powerful beast that makes no money for them, then somehow woo third party away from ms/sony with marketing deals. He even said he won't be buying the first party games, and he wants ninty to host all the online stuff for free and make it "decent". Just seems like a snobby customer imo.

All customers SHOULD be "snobby", all the time. People keep acting like these billion dollar companies are our friends. THEY AREN'T. They are greedy businessmen that want OUR money. Damn bloody right they need to earn it, we should ALWAYS be demanding more.

well when ninty makes billions on ios im gonna blame you people who shoved them out of the traditional gaming world with the ps4/xbone

i just hope there games still can use a controller

FOH. Nintendo removed THEMSELVES from the conversation. They willfully removed themselves, with absolutely no help from anybody, from the fight.

They wanted to be different. They "Didnt care what the competition was doing". They wanted to be "The Outliers".

They were most certainly successful in their bid to become the outlier this gen.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:

Lock if already a topic on this, didn't see one.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074926

Looks like Nintendo is still desperate to try to get those casuals back. Another gen of under-powered hardware and a lack of third party support for Nintendo it seems. At this point, this is beginning to look like an Ouya 2.0

Well, it didn't state Xbox One...

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Ouch, Bad news. With PS4 is barely capable of handling the more demanding multiplats at 30fps above medium, imagine NX performance.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Nintendo will be fine. Most likely NX will have enough power for Nintendo 1st party to work there magic. PS4/Xbone are doing just fine being underpowered compared to PC Gaming. Yes Nintendo is limiting its market because they dont cater to third party/casual bro gamer shooter market like xbone/ps4. Whatever the NX Power, I'm sure Nintendo will create some world class exclusives that cater to its market.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

lost all interest now if this is true

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

It could work if the console is priced very low. Nintendo is finally realizing that their consoles are looked at as companion consoles now. Nobody outside the Nintendo hardcore fanbase would buy a Nintendo home console as their primary solution to play games.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#118 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

PS4/Xbone are doing just fine being underpowered compared to PC Gaming.

That's irrelevant. PS4 and Xbox One are both in the good enough territory. It's impossible to measure up to high end PC hardware in terms of raw horsepower without the console costing upwards of $1000 at this point. The Wii U wasn't even close to good enough, so it got left behind. Nintendo's marketshare has imploded for a number of reasons. One of which being that their hardware wasn't what 3rd party partners wanted.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#119 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I would like to think Nintendo has learned it's lesson. If this is true, then I would say they have not. The Wii-U will be the last Nintendo console I own until Nintendo really impresses me.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#120 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@so_hai said:

Conjecture, conjecture, conjecture.

Despite this truth we have idiots in here making judgements already.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Too bad SW has only 1 true sheep left, back in 2008 this would've been so laughable and seeing sheep dc would've been even funnier :(

Yeah the amount of true sheep in here has declined drastically since 2006.

Overall it makes sense though when you consider Nintendo's market share of gamers these days and how much that has declined over the years.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Yup, flop incoming.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ronvalencia

@YearoftheSnake5 said:
@BigBadBully said:

PS4/Xbone are doing just fine being underpowered compared to PC Gaming.

That's irrelevant. PS4 and Xbox One are both in the good enough territory. It's impossible to measure up to high end PC hardware in terms of raw horsepower without the console costing upwards of $1000 at this point. The Wii U wasn't even close to good enough, so it got left behind. Nintendo's marketshare has imploded for a number of reasons. One of which being that their hardware wasn't what 3rd party partners wanted.

Well, gameplay design relates to CPU power and Wii U is underpowered in that department.

Wii U is weaker than Samsung Galaxy S6....LOL. Nintendo has to be above flagship mobile phone's CPU/GPU performance or they'll suffer another Wii U failure.

Intel Ivy Bridge HD 4000 already beats Wii U's GPU performance, hence they did not win the casual desktop gaming.

Nintendo is also competing against AMD's APU powered casual gaming Windows PCs.

There's plenty of fails with Wii U from flagship mobile phone and casual gaming desktop/laptop PC hardware performance POV.

The minimum is matching Xbox One's performance.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#124 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

LOL. Either this is joke, or Nintendo is joke company.

Nintendo truly needs to stop developing the hardware around their own internal low budget games. That has been the excuse for two generations now. It worked once as a fluke, but if they aren't learning from the Wii-U that the original Wii was a fluke I don't know what to say. That doesn't mean it needs to be some 20 Teraflop beast, but the PS4 itself is designed around a tablet CPU and a modest APU architecture. Why wouldn't Nintendo just use the same setup, only 3 years "more advanced" then he PS4? Oh, because Nintendo, that's why.

Maybe if they priced their underpowered junk at $149 people would buy.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ronvalencia

@BigBadBully said:

Nintendo will be fine. Most likely NX will have enough power for Nintendo 1st party to work there magic. PS4/Xbone are doing just fine being underpowered compared to PC Gaming. Yes Nintendo is limiting its market because they dont cater to third party/casual bro gamer shooter market like xbone/ps4. Whatever the NX Power, I'm sure Nintendo will create some world class exclusives that cater to its market.

Wii U's failure has shown that Nintendo's game IP/first party games/exclusives wasn't able to change the result.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#126 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@Zero5000X said:

That makes no sense. If NX is going to be weak compared to the PS4 then when the PS5 comes out a year or two after they are going to be in the same boat they are in with the Pii U.

The PS4 still has at the absolute very least another half a decade left before we even remotely hear about a PS5.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#127 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I honestly don't think the NX is meant to compete with the PS4 at all.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Legend002 said:

So what's it meant to compete with?

Nintendo is just releasing the thing for shits and giggles before they pack up shop and drop out of the console market for good?

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Legend002

@frank_castle: They are trying to get lucky and capture an unexpected market without competing like they did with the Wii.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#130 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Do they not know how to achieve that power level? Christ.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

It's gonna be a handheld. Everything is pointing to Handheld.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#132 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19376 Posts

That's just the opinion of one guy, Liam Robertson of Unseen64. Maybe he might have some inside info, or maybe not. We don't know. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was underpowered though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@frank_castle:

Nintendo has become so separated from the others. One is a game console, the others are media boxes. It is reaching a point where ps4/x1 are now directly competing with the pc format. With the abundance of "resolution" debates with pc often grabbing front page on console centric websites, I'd say these two consoles will be looked at "beginner" type boxes where people will eventually put in the effort and fine the value in nvidia cards, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@BigBadBully

I called you an idiot (your response mysteriously deleted), not for personal reasons, but because of that typical complacent comment you said. A comment widely popular among deluded sheep, nowadays.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#135 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@Big_Pecks said:

Do they not know how to achieve that power level? Christ.

Well, they're Nintendo. Not Saiyans. :P

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#136 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Legend002 said:

it doesn't matter, if it's some kind of console then it will be competing for the same market share regardless of what you or nintendo think.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Legend002

@Gue1: To people like us, maybe we would like to believe that. Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ass about what Sony and Microsoft are doing... at least not anymore.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I still think they should aim for a 2160p30 console, so as to future-proof it against the PlayStation 5.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

'Not competing with PS4' i get the feeling this is nintendos way of saying the new machine will be a powerhouse that will walk all over the PS4 and bone.

I could be wrong but i do have a habit of getting these things right, time will tell though.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

We don't know what Nintendo is planning.. As long as they support their new system with a solid line-up of 1st party titles + proper 3rd party suppost, their system will be a success..

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

That about confirms it, this trash will be dead on arrival.

Instead of putting their heads down and working hard to compete for the core gamer they're taking the easy way out and going after the casuals AGAIN. I hope it bites them this time so hard

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

@l34052 said:

'Not competing with PS4' i get the feeling this is nintendos way of saying the new machine will be a powerhouse that will walk all over the PS4 and bone.

I could be wrong but i do have a habit of getting these things right, time will tell though.

Unless you are looking for another WiiU situation don't expect it to destroy the xbox one or ps4 in graphics.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Interesting rumour, but that's all it is at this stage.

Would be also interesting to get the reactions from the Nintendo fanboys as to how they would feel if this were true. Because this is the sort of thing people spin as not mattering after the fact, but it sure as hell seems to matter to people now.

They want power ( certainly more than a current gen console if you're bringing it late to the party) but pretend they don't when they don't get it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@Gue1: To people like us, maybe we would like to believe that. Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ass about what Sony and Microsoft are doing... at least not anymore.

Gue1's right on the money. I've said this before, and it bears repeating: it doesn't matter what Nintendo thinks. They need to care what Sony and MS are doing, because even if they don't, consumers with money in their wallets do. If it is a console that plays games, it is fighting for marketshare with companies that are in that same market. To act so non-chalantly towards competitors that are kicking their ass, is insane. It's the height of arrogance. And it will continue to lead to their downfall until they decide to step back into the ring.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145  Edited By fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Have they not learned their lesson? Damn. They need a console that is at least on par with the Xbox One so that multiplat devs can support it. Dammit, Nintendo :(

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#146 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Gue1 is correct though..unless Nintendo's console transform into a robot & make you pizza...then its primarily just a video game machine. The only reason Nintendo is saying they aren't competing now..is because they knew they screwed up with Wii U...if you take a look back to Wii's time where it sold like *hot cakes* pretty sure Iwata, Reggie & Miyamoto were smiling competing! :P

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#147 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Their arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

1. At this point it's just hearsay from a (arguably) known "insider"..

2. If anyone is expecting the NX to be on the same level as the PS4, you're in for disappointment. But who knows if this thing is 2 yrs out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was on par with the PS4. Considering the damn thing costed $381 to make (roughly) TWO YRS AGO.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#149 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

1. At this point it's just hearsay from a (arguably) known "insider"..

2. If anyone is expecting the NX to be on the same level as the PS4, you're in for disappointment. But who knows if this thing is 2 yrs out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was on par with the PS4. Considering the damn thing costed $381 to make (roughly) TWO YRS AGO.

The thing is, the PS4 was designed "smartly". It was designed to cost $399 at launch in 2013. They didn't go over the top with it, it has a low powered tablet based CPU and a modest (but decent) APU/GPU. In what world is Nintendo living in if they can't even match that in 2016???

If they weren't morons, they should easily be able to launch something with a faster (but similar) CPU, and a GPU that is at least a generation ahead, and still hit a modest $299 price point in 2016. The joke about the Wii-U was that it was almost the cost of a current gen console, but basically had last gen power. In term of the actual hardware, it was going head to head with the $199 consoles... but Nintendo never realized it (and still hasn't to this day).

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

@Zero5000X said:

That makes no sense. If NX is going to be weak compared to the PS4 then when the PS5 comes out a year or two after they are going to be in the same boat they are in with the Pii U.

I doubt the PS5 comes out that soon. Anyway.....it's about the games. You guys arguing specs all the time miss out on the fun of games. Shame.