"NX not aiming to compete with PS4 on a power level"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Despite it being a rumor, something tells me that is most likely going to be the case.

Dammit Nintendo.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@ProtossX: All ready have a pc capable of such things. AS of last year I got rid of my ps3 and haven't purchased a new console. Nintendo if they released a more powerful machine then ps4, and made it so it's hardware was pc based to allow for pc and console porting then I'd be purchase it. It would greatly help them if they improved their online infrastructure as in it's current state no one wants to play competitive multiplayer on their systems.

Asking for them to move into 2016 with hardware that actually belongs in 2016 isn't asking much. Neither is asking for better online infrastructure, and a console that actually is easy to port to. If they stick to the no online fee and offer a machine that can outpace the competition and have good online and multimedia functions they would kill the competition. Look how many on here who are core gamers who are saying they are not happy with the idea of a weak android like console. Core gamers buy games, and systems in mass. Not casuals who purchase a game or two a year if that. We are who Nintendo needs to win back as customers, not the casual market who has moved to tablet and phones.

If that's something Nintendo isn't willing to do then me and all the others who don't want cheap android Ouya like bullshit won't be supporting them for another generation. I haven't owned one of their systems since the Snes, for simple reasons as they make weak hard to port too consoles who lack third party support, and only make first party games that are rated G. If they don't start to realize video game players range from all ages, and they want varied and different experiences that deal with more complex ideas and issues then just G rated content then they will sink even farther into obscurity as even less gamers as they grow up from being children will keep buying Nintendo, and the old die hards will jut get sick of the same old same old and move on.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@ProtossX: All ready have a pc capable of such things. AS of last year I got rid of my ps3 and haven't purchased a new console. Nintendo if they released a more powerful machine then ps4, and made it so it's hardware was pc centric to allow for pc and console porting then I'd be purchase it. As I'm unwilling to buy a console that charges an online fee which nintendo has yet to do.

If you have a PC why do you care if a console charges for online or not? PC online is free and is a million times better than console online. Buy a console for exclusives, play multiplayer online on PC.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
@frank_castle said:

So from everything I've gathered so far it sounds like Nintendo is once again going with an underpowered console built around some central gimmick.

They might as well drop out of the console market right now and save themselves the time and added expense.

Nintendo = Sega

Recall the Genesis collection that was available a few years back on the 360 and PS3? Give it time and Nintendo will but putting some of their better known titles on disc (or digital) on whatever competition exists in a few years. Nintendo has lost the heart needed to make it in this market.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

Good gravy...

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Nintendo is not even in the same market as Sony/MS anyway

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@blueinheaven: What kind of question is that? Maybe I'd like a system capable of using more then 1-2 controllers sitting in my living room that can do split screen that doesn't charge a fucking gateway fee to allow me to use my internet and half my game. Pc is a 1-2 person machine 99% of the time. So I'd like that ability to play with people actually in my home on my tv. I currently can't get that from Microsoft or Sony, Nintendo can fill that gap but if a weak android like machine is all they bring out then they will have filled a gap I and most gamers don't consider to be worth our time.

@aroxx_ab said:

Your telling me a gaming console isn't in the same market as a gaming console? Or that a gaming hand held isn't in the same market as a gaming hand held? What kind of backwards logic is that. They sell systems that play games just like sony and Microsoft. If they aren't in the same market then wtf market are they in?

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#59 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Holy fucking shit. @locopatho is destroying fanboys with logic in every thread I see him in. Keep up the good fight, fight for good gaming!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Yeah I'll wait for official info, I've heard the whole "I know the right people" so many times and found it to be false it's not even funny. Could it happen? Sure, Nintendo could do it, but I really think the Wii U will serve as an example for them as I doubt Nintendo truly wants to go under like people think they do despite many of their mistakes in the past. Plus rumors for something that is still at least a year away are usually doomed to fail, Uncharted and some of the others were leaked shortly before announcement like most leaks if that makes any sense.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

But they have to. They really need to not make another WiiU because it will destroy them. Like this might be their Dreamcast while the WiiU was their Saturn.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@frank_castle said:

So from everything I've gathered so far it sounds like Nintendo is once again going with an underpowered console built around some central gimmick.

They might as well drop out of the console market right now and save themselves the time and added expense.

Nintendo = Sega

Recall the Genesis collection that was available a few years back on the 360 and PS3? Give it time and Nintendo will but putting some of their better known titles on disc (or digital) on whatever competition exists in a few years. Nintendo has lost the heart needed to make it in this market.

@Solaryellow said:
@frank_castle said:

Nintendo = Sega

Of course they won't just fold up and disappear.

They'll make their flagships (Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Pokemon, etc) for the other platforms.

But they're as good as dead in the console market.

They caught lightning in a bottle with the original Wii appealing to the casual and non-gamer market, but that isn't happening again.

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

Its a wii u rebranded as a super game boy to their new handheld..

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

So it's going to be way more powerful than the PS4 then? On a whole other level :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:

Lock if already a topic on this, didn't see one.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074926

Looks like Nintendo is still desperate to try to get those casuals back. Another gen of under-powered hardware and a lack of third party support for Nintendo it seems. At this point, this is beginning to look like an Ouya 2.0

If this is true ... RIP ... To try to compete with an already established monster like PS4 will be at the time and a nice X1 base where both will be waiting the biggest 3rd party titles to get a release plus all the crazy exclusives in 2016/17 like Gears / Halo / UC4 / FF7 / Last guardian and a god knows what else

W > T < F Nintendo is thinking ? Try to lure casuals in is a big bet like Wii and Wii U were ... It can work but it can totally fail also... Pfff , personally one more generation without a Nintendo console. Thats for sure

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@blueinheaven: What kind of question is that? Maybe I'd like a system capable of using more then 1-2 controllers sitting in my living room that can do split screen that doesn't charge a fucking gateway fee to allow me to use my internet and half my game. Pc is a 1-2 person machine 99% of the time. So I'd like that ability to play with people actually in my home on my tv. I currently can't get that from Microsoft or Sony, Nintendo can fill that gap but if a weak android like machine is all they bring out then they will have filled a gap I and most gamers don't consider to be worth our time.

@aroxx_ab said:

Your telling me a gaming console isn't in the same market as a gaming console? Or that a gaming hand held isn't in the same market as a gaming hand held? What kind of backwards logic is that. They sell systems that play games just like sony and Microsoft. If they aren't in the same market then wtf market are they in?

Compare the games and you see what market/consumers they target for...

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Just because they aren't aiming to compete powerwise doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the weaker system. It could very well be stronger than the ps4 but that was not the primary focus. Perhaps they aim to compete in other aspects like bolstering support and a stronger system was just an incidental step in that direction.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

My prediction it'll likely flop if this is true. Because under-powered hardware is what seems to be the turn off of both X1 and WiiU

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Ninty dun fucked up if that ends up being true.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

As long as it's close to the PS4 with today's tech it should launch at $250ish. Ninty may sell their projected 20 million units if the launch lineup is strong and they get 3rd party support.

If it's power wise close to the X1 I don't see 3rd party support being a problem.

Nintendo could throw in a free Mario game with the NX.........

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

@silversix_:

^

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

smoke and mirrors gimmicks confirmed, make it easier for me Nintendo to save my money by not getting your system while at the same time not feeling bad about it

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@locopatho said:
@ProtossX said:

yeah but the guy is asking way too much. He wants them to build a super powerful beast that makes no money for them, then somehow woo third party away from ms/sony with marketing deals. He even said he won't be buying the first party games, and he wants ninty to host all the online stuff for free and make it "decent". Just seems like a snobby customer imo.

All customers SHOULD be "snobby", all the time. People keep acting like these billion dollar companies are our friends. THEY AREN'T. They are greedy businessmen that want OUR money. Damn bloody right they need to earn it, we should ALWAYS be demanding more.

This is how it used to be, somewhere along the time MS came in people forgot that and started acting like we owed these companies something

Pushed to the edge (flash back to MS E3 2013) we hit back and cause MS to do a 180, but it's no where near where it used to be where companies were breaking their backs for our hard earned money and loyalty like in the early nintendo and sega days.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

We finally know what the NX is.

A sticker you put over the WIIU logo lol.

Looks like it will have good specs after all.

https://twitter.com/Paraxade0/status/617440051438465024/photo/1

I'll be interested to see what it can do though. I'm still getting a Wii U.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@XanderZane said:
@Ant_17 said:

Well , we are getting nowhere fast.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@XanderZane said:
@Ant_17 said:

Well , we are getting nowhere fast.

Well.... I hate to say I told you so

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#77  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

IF true then I am gonna be sad panda. It means they're using on their *different way* to play crap again. :(

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

If this is the case NX is dead on arrival.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

I don't get what the big shock is. I'm almost positive Nintendo's not going to put priority on power with their next console, and am expecting it to be around PS4 levels, IF that. Power is not at fault for Nintendo's failings with the U, the only thing it really holds bearing on is in its appeal to third parties, and sorry to say, that ship has sailed for Nintendo long ago. It's not coming back, at least not to any substantial degree.

Why are people getting so upset? If this is a rumor, I find it to be in line with what Nintendo will most likely do. They don't, and haven't for a while now, placed any importance on hardware. They're not going to start now (at least not with the current guys in charge). And if they are making moves in the right areas to recitify things such as their output and online, they don't NEED to. History has proven that the best hardware does not automatically equate to success when other factors are executed competently.

Which is where Nintendo will fail....

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

Can't wait for nintendo to be reduced to nothing but a publisher like sega, crap like this will certainly speed up the process soon we'll be able to play Mario games made for our PCs, Xboxes and Playstations!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

What if it has more power than the Xbox One?

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Yeah...i don't really care...as much as SW like to pretend that graphics matter...the fact is that they don't...also if you really care about graphics then i guess nobody here bought a PS4 nor an X1 because those machines are a joke in that regard.

Anyway...the issue with Nintendo is not their lack of power on their consoles, but their lack of vision, they want the core and the casual fanbase but they just haven't found a way to get both, the WiiU had a good start, they had some good games at launch, great games in the making and it had an overall good start...however they couldn't get the casual audience because they made a terrible mistake with the brand, the name and the marketing, then they lost the core audience because the console has terrible droughts, not to mention they should had cut the price even more when the PS4 was released.

Now with that being said, they can still turn around things, and no...not with a powerful console that would cost $600, but with a clever idea and promising games, because that's what most gamers really want, play great games, sure the PS4 is selling great, but more and more people is slowly going to Steam because its an overall better gaming platform that offers much more than the PS4, i doubt that next gen Sony will have the same success with the same strategy of launching a gimped PC with a few exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:
@princeofshapeir said:

What if it has more power than the Xbox One?

To be fair, this new console is only dead if Nintendo can't support it. This wouldn't be enough power to entice "AAA" pubs and developers, because nobody would buy NX (besides Nintendo diehards) for inferior multiplats.

But if Nintendo can support the NX themselves and with indies it'll still be vastly more sucessful than Wii U, if it's also clearly indicated what the NX is unlike Wii U. As it stands, we know they can't support the Wii U by themselves, so that'll be a massive challenge for them. They need to overhaul their studios and acquire new talent, something they should've done during the Wii era.

If it's true that it'll be weaker than Ps4, we can pretty much expect AAA multiplats to be absent on NX. But for Nintendo's own games, 1080p 60fps on every game, + AA/AF (something lacking in Wii U games) and at least somewhat of a bump in graphics (like Gamecube to Wii at the very least...) Nintendo could still wow us with their games.

----

But i'm going to take this whole thing with a handful of salt, simply because Nintendo isn't a leak prone company like Sony.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Lol you guys eat up any and all rumors like they're gospel. I don't expect to be impressed with whatever the NX turns out to be but, damn, let's wait for official info, yeah?

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Wait, didn't Nintendo patent a doughnut shaped screen a while back? That would be some asinine shit that fits right in their wheel house. That's the kind of information that has me worried not rumors. I mean Nintendo would have to actively try to make the NX less capable than the PS4 with the launch likely being next year or 2017.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Nintendo will be an android developer soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Not sure on the spec. My current thought is that nintendos online service introduces some kind of cross purchasing program by ways of a yearly fee similar to Xbl/psn. They'll use their back catalog to their advantage--perhaps even allowing cell phone users of any brand to have access to this catalog if they purchase said service. Maybe maybe not. And I also think nintendo will have BIG key titles at launch--New 3DMario, Fzero, Metroid, Pilotwings, etc.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

lol so that fake weak power rumor.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

Nintendo's only chance would be to release a console powerful enough to compete with the PS5 and the next Xbox whenever they're released. In other words, they need to build an $800 console but price it at $400. Never going to happen.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@david61983 said:

Nintendo's only chance would be to release a console powerful enough to compete with the PS5 and the next Xbox whenever they're released. In other words, they need to build an $800 console but price it at $400. Never going to happen.

Nonsense. Thanks to the long console cycle of the twins, they can release NX in 2016, and when PS5/X2 launch in 2020, Nintendo will be close to launching their next console.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#91  Edited By GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

@Heirren said:

Not sure on the spec. My current thought is that nintendos online service introduces some kind of cross purchasing program by ways of a yearly fee similar to Xbl/psn. They'll use their back catalog to their advantage--perhaps even allowing cell phone users of any brand to have access to this catalog if they purchase said service. Maybe maybe not. And I also think nintendo will have BIG key titles at launch--New 3DMario, Fzero, Metroid, Pilotwings, etc.

Yearly online fee? Refer to my sig.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:
@Heirren said:

But I'm a fan of Xbox One, and I don't pay a dime for Xbox Live Gold

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@mr-powers said:

Nintendo will be an android developer soon.

Ewwwww.... Android.....

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#94 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@k--m--k said:

Just more speculations, why not just wait for official reveal?

because SW, why not wait for the review of a game before overhyping it?

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#95 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

japanese market.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

I'll just say this. Nin has already released a WiiU in the middle of a gen..IF NIN ditches the WiiU and releases yet another console in the middle of another gen..Its OVER for them. They are panicking and fumbling for attention and sales just like SEGA did..im just gonna sit back and watch.

That's the way I feel too. Considering Nintendo's NX announcement and the recent Digitimes report, it looks like they're going for another under-powered console next year or 2017. They claim that they have a trick up their sleeve, but we'll see how good it is. I'm skeptical.

I've got no confidence that I'll be impressed with what Nintendo do. The Wii U is just a system I know I'll have to get (maybe second-hand) because it's holding Fatal Frame V hostage, and hopefully the new Zelda will turn out to be something special.

I'll sit back and watch this new project unfold, but I can't say I'm the least bit excited, and won't be first in line.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Hopefully they'll go handheld only after the NX flops.

Or 3rd party.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#98  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:
@Heirren said:

But I'm a fan of Xbox One, and I don't pay a dime for Xbox Live Gold

I have an Xbox One, PS4, PC (just for indies), and a WiiU. I don't pay for any of their services. The only thing I pay for is my internet bills. I haven't been on Xbox Live for a long time, and I never plug my Wii U online if it wasn't for playing Splatoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@ultimateimp:

I prefer the minimal online. In today's market though, it is clear that the majority doesn't mind paying. Nintendo can potentially offer the best value. What if they rid of the eshop altogether and offer their entire back catalog similar to how netflix works? This gives them leeway to potentially offer higher spec hardware at cheaper cost.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#100 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

Hopefully they'll go handheld only after the NX flops.

Or 3rd party.

They'd be royally fucked either way. Being handheld only would be like a table missing a leg. No way will they stand for long.