NX launching in March 2017. Good business decision or not?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll NX launching in March 2017. Good business decision or not? (59 votes)

Good 42%
Bad 29%
Terrible. 29%

We should all know by now that the Nintendo NX is launching in March of 2017. Also, there will be no showing of the NX at E3 2016. Bummer......

Everyone is saying how HORRIBLE not showing the NX off at E3 is. Though, I see it as a....Potential opportunity.

Nintendo will probably do another digital event. A.K.A a Nintendo Direct. Thing is, doing a Nintendo direct AFTER E3, is three things. Less money. More focus on Nintendo. No competition.

I see Nintendo doing this. Announcing the NX around the end of the year, launching in March 2017, and then having a HUGE blowout at E3 2017. That to me sounds like a good opportunity. Will it guarantee the NX success? No way to tell. But it may be the best chance the NX has. Showing off the NX later this year, after the PS4K/Xbox/PSVR are shown, could grant more attention....SOLE attention.

Just my two cents. What about you guys? it this the best way to launch the NX? Or should they of showed the thing at E3 and launch it later this year?

• 
PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

We have this.

• A console launching early 2017, when there most likely will be NOTHING else releasing on the market at the time.

• More time for 3rd parties to port their games.
  • More launch titles. (Than there otherwise would be)
  • An E3 spectacular.
  • Holiday 2017 games and sales for a console with a pre-established library. (Also a backup if the launch bombs.)

Not many others have said anything like this. I'm curious, why not?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

Third party games on a Nintendo system is believing that there is life on the moon.

I cannot think of a console releasing in March being successful or wiping the competition.

Launch titles would be even more scarce with the lack of third party support.

Nintendo doesn't know how to make a spectacular E3 but they know how to make awkward and "What am I looking at? Conferences.

Nintendo has solidify their irrelevance.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Terrible

This shit was doomed to fail from the get-go.

I'll say it again, the vast majority of gamers don't buy multiple consoles during a single generation. And by the time this thing comes out, the PS4 and XBone combined will have made their ways into the homes of close to 70 million people.

This is going to be NIntendo's last console. Period.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

If the console won't be ready for a 2016 launch, it's a good decision to launch in 2017. Skipping E3 is a terrible decision, though.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Depends on what the product actually is. But it's better than trying to push itself and its launch games out against its competition if Nintendo doesn't believe in it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@frank_castle said:

Terrible

I'll say it again, the vast majority of gamers don't buy multiple consoles during a single generation. And by the time this thing comes out, the PS4 and XBone combined will have made their ways into the homes of close to 70 million people.

We could be talking about next gen, not old platforms.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Frank_Castle

@KungfuKitten said:
@frank_castle said:

Terrible

This Gen just kicked off 2 1/2 years ago.

People aren't looking to replace their PS4's and XBone's right now. And they sure as shit aren't looking to replace them with a Nintendo console. Especially after the MASSIVE failure that is the Wii U.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

The ps4 wasn't shown at its reveal or e3. I think it's a decent decision. But time will tell.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@frank_castle said:
@KungfuKitten said:
@frank_castle said:

Terrible

People aren't looking to replace their PS4's and XBone's right now. And they sure as shit aren't looking to replace them with a Nintendo console. Especially after the MASSIVE failure that is the Wii U.

Uh almost everyone is looking to replace their PS4's and XBones hence their plans for upgrades. Their specs were awful and they had almost zero games that made them worthwhile. Until recently it was tough to find a reviewer who was happy with their PS4/XB1. But I don't think the NX will be a generational leap so whatever.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Frank_Castle

@KungfuKitten said:
@frank_castle said:
@KungfuKitten said:
@frank_castle said:

Terrible

Uh almost everyone is looking to replace their PS4's and XBones hence their plans for upgrades. Their specs were awful and they had almost zero games that made them worthwhile. Until recently it was tough to find a reviewer who was happy with their PS4/XB1.

Uh no they aren't.

Unless you're talking about the handful of diehards on message boards like this who make up a micro-fraction of the gaming community.

The vast majority of PS4 and XBone owners are perfectly content with their purchase and couldn't care less about dropping $400-500 on another console for at least another 2 years.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@KungfuKitten: are you fucking insane or you just blew a circuit ? I doubt there are many people actually dropping their PoS4/Xj1 .

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@frank_castle: I agree. Trying to get the people who already own a PS4 and/or Xbox One will be hard. Though, for all the people who don't own them....

For example: PS4 is selling like hot cakes. The millions that would buy a PS4 every month, would/could buy the NX. If it has 3rd party support, what reason would they have not to?

PS4 and Xbox One sales are not just gonna sit still, right? So NX may still has a chance.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@pikachudude860: You also forget more shipments available, as if they are using a custom SoC with 14 nm, there will be plenty for next year compared to Holiday 2016

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I think it's the right decision, and one I expected all along. 2016 would have been pre-mature no matter how you look at it. I mean, wouldn't you rather give them more time to add titles to the launch? I wasn't even planning on buying this year if they did release in 2016. 2017 is prime.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

I think it is a good business decision as Nintendo would be better prepared for the NX's launch. I also not interested in purchasing a new home console this year, the NX delayed launch to March 2017 saves me much money now until March.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Gonna say bad, but they just said they're trying to get the software ready..so that's understandable. Still bad missing out on holiday seasons though...& not talking about it on E3??..why not???.. :P

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Coming out after the competitors is never good. Their main concern should only be PS4 since Xbone isn't doing too well.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

A bad business decision for sure.

I don't care what anyone says here, releasing a console after the holiday season is a bad idea. It's a bad idea because the holiday season is when most people buy consoles. Tax return season can't compare at all to the push that is the holiday season. With NX not releasing this year the door is wide open for Sony to steal the show with PS4K and PSVR.

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NotAFanboy
Member since 2015 • 573 Posts

@quadknight said:

A bad business decision for sure.

I don't care what anyone says here, releasing a console aftervthebholiday season is a bad idea. It's a bad idea because the holiday season is when most people buy consoles. Tax return season can't compare at all to the push that is the holiday season. With NX not releasing this year the door is wide open for Sony to steal the show with PS4K and PSVR.

This is correct.

Also, the NX will flop even worse if the PS4 NEO is a lot stronger than the NX and releases in 2016 holidays.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Coming out after the competitors is never good. Their main concern should only be PS4 since Xbone isn't doing too well.

But thats exactly how PS4 was successful. O you mean, after after, nevermind.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

@superbuuman said:

Gonna say bad, but they just said they're trying to get the software ready..so that's understandable. Still bad missing out on holiday seasons though...& not talking about it on E3??..why not???.. :P

The NX not being shown at E3 is awful!!

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Legend002

@iandizion713 said:
@Legend002 said:

But thats exactly how PS4 was successful. O you mean, after after, nevermind.

PS4 is successful because they created an awesome product and there's really no good alternative.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Legend002: Thats true, and now that PS4K and PSVR is about to release, Nintendo can look at those and try to put together an awesome product.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@GameboyTroy: Ya!..for sure..not sure why are they doing that. Unless their console specs is lower than PS4Neo or PS4...which is inevitable if they talk about it, media will be asking about how powerful..etc. :P

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NotAFanboy
Member since 2015 • 573 Posts

@superbuuman said:

@GameboyTroy: Ya!..for sure..not sure why are they doing that. Unless their console specs is lower than PS4Neo or PS4...which is inevitable if they talk about it, media will be asking about how powerful..etc. :P

It's definitely weaker than the PS4 NEO. That's why they're delaying it. They are hoping that the the initial hype for the NEO will die down by March 2017 so they can have a shot.

My intelligent business acumen says that it really doesn't matter.

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 108 Posts

I think its a good move. I dunno if it will be a success though. People got a real sour taste still from the wii gimicks and the wii u. At this point i wish Nintendo would just stick with handhelds and stop making consoles. They should be a software company instead. Making games available on the xbox, ps4, and pc to reach the audience that is still around but doesn't want a special console just to play mario and zelda games. I would love to play these games on my pc.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Legend002

@iandizion713 said:

@Legend002: Thats true, and now that PS4K and PSVR is about to release, Nintendo can look at those and try to put together an awesome product.

Even if they fail Nintendo never disappoint with Exclusives.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

@notafanboy said:
@superbuuman said:

It's definitely weaker than the PS4 NEO. That's why they're delaying it. They are hoping that the the initial hype for the NEO will die down by March 2017 so they can have a shot.

My intelligent business acumen says that it really doesn't matter.

When the PS4 Neo was leaked recently that's when I knew that the NX was going to be clearly weaker than the Neo. I doubt that the hype for the Neo will die, maybe a little bit but not completely not even close unless you already have a PS4 probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

They should launch it later in 2017. Get it out during the holiday season.

What good is March going to do? Everyone's going to have just opened up brand new Xbox Neos, and PSOnes over Christmas.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@beardmad said:

What good is March going to do? Everyone's going to have just opened up brand new Xbox Neos, and PSOnes over Christmas.

Tax returns.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I'm voting terrible especially with no appearance at E3. The NX is DOA.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By emgesp

@techhog89 said:
@beardmad said:

Tax returns.

To pay off debts accumulated during the Holidays.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@techhog89 said:
@beardmad said:

Tax returns.

That's true.

Maybe they can have a promotion where a guy finishes his taxes, and then rewards himself with an NX.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 emgesp

@pikachudude860 said:

@frank_castle: I agree. Trying to get the people who already own a PS4 and/or Xbox One will be hard. Though, for all the people who don't own them....

For example: PS4 is selling like hot cakes. The millions that would buy a PS4 every month, would/could buy the NX. If it has 3rd party support, what reason would they have not to?

PS4 and Xbox One sales are not just gonna sit still, right? So NX may still has a chance.

All their friends own a PS4 as well and they want to play with them online.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@emgesp said:
@pikachudude860 said:

All their friends own a PS4 as well and they want to play with them online.

lol, I'm guessing he didn't that through properly before he typed it.

@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@beardmad said:

Tax returns.

Well said

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

This is a GREAT IDEA for Nintendo to delay it and not talk about it at E3 ... It is always in the best interest for a company releasing their next gen console to have everything in order ... as well as for 3rd parties to get a look at it longer and to have your games ready your online system ready and what not ... also you need to present the product to the public and talk about why you need this console ... its better to have yourself ready then rush things and mess up ... I predict the best launch window line-up ever for a console coming

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Techhog89

@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@beardmad said:

Tax returns.

That's just reaching. If people are that bad at managing their money, they're just going to buy things on impulse anyway.

I'm not purely defending Nintendo by the way, but this is the least of their issues.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By emgesp

@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@beardmad said:

Tax returns.

That's just reaching.

No, that's called reality of life for a lot of people.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Techhog89

@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:

Tax returns.

That's just reaching.

People who don't know how to manage their money.

So, what? If Nintendo had decided to rush it out for holiday 2016, you would have complained about the lack of games. If they delayed to to holiday 2017, you'd say that it's too late. Should they just drop NX completely? Is that the only correct decision to make? Will you say the same of PS4k if it misses the holiday season?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 emgesp

@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:

Tax returns.

That's just reaching.

So, what? If Nintendo had decided to rush it out for holiday 2016, you would have complained about the lack of games. If they delayed to to holiday 2017, you'd say that it's too late. Should they just drop NX completely? Is that the only correct decision to make? Will you say the same of PS4k if it misses the holiday season?

All I know is Nintendo should have gotten their shit together for a late 2016 release. Even if their launch lineup was cut a bit thin having Zelda release this year would have helped a lot. Plus, all the big third party games get released in November, so Nintendo is gonna miss that window where people spend big $$$$ on games/hardware.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

It's good, more time to hype the NX and 3rd party to show NX games to boost it's release sales.

Seriously, you think E3 will show the NX and 20 NX games coming out in less then a year?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Techhog89

@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:

That's just reaching.

All I know is Nintendo should have gotten their shit together for a late 2016 release. Even if their launch lineup was cut a bit thin having Zelda release this year would have helped a lot. Plus, all the big third party games get released in November, so Nintendo is gonna miss that window where people spend big $$$$ on games/hardware.

You tell me to get into the real world, then you make up one where games can just be pulled out of thin air. If it's not ready, it's not ready. People like you are why we end up with rushed games. And we all know that NX isn't getting those games anyway, no matter when it launches. You know why there haven't been any leaks? It's because almost no Western third-parties have dev-kits or SDKs. They were burned my Wii U and decided to not even give NX a chance. Nintendo only has their own games to depend on.

Also, you didn't answer my question about PS4k. That's rumored for Q1 2017.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By emgesp

@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:
@emgesp said:

You tell me to get into the real world, then you make up one where games can just be pulled out of thin air. If it's not ready, it's not ready. People like you are why we end up with rushed games. And we all know that NX isn't getting those games anyway, no matter when it launches. You know why there haven't been any leaks? It's because almost no Western third-parties have dev-kits or SDKs. They were burned my Wii U and decided to not even give NX a chance. Nintendo only has their own games to depend on.

Also, you didn't answer my question about PS4k. That's rumored for Q1 2017.

Dude, Zelda is ready for a late 2016 release its just Nintendo wants to build up the library even more.

PS4K isn't replacing the PS4 as its just a more premium version of the console. The NX is fully replacing the Wii U, so you can't compare the two consoles.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I don't have any trouble with a March release, but no NX at E3 is a mistake.

"Nintendo will probably do another digital event. A.K.A a Nintendo Direct. Thing is, doing a Nintendo direct AFTER E3, is three things. Less money. More focus on Nintendo. No competition."

"No competition". What's so wrong with competition? A business should never shy from it, it should embrace it every opportunity it gets head-on. It shows ambition, it shows they're confident, that they're not afraid and can stand their own ground. Running away for any opportunity to eek out their own little scene makes them appear like Sony and MS are making the rules, like they're weak and are getting bullied. I mean, why not? They're not afraid of Nintendo, and they basically get to dictate Nintendo's schedule and press events through intimidation of simply being in business. That's pathetic.

Why can't Nintendo for once take charge and "do things on their own terms", as so many of its fans love to say? They don't. They're terrified of of the competition, and because of their fear they don't operate on their own terms as everyone loves to think.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Unless Nintendo have shifted their target audience away from casual gamers this is bad.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Techhog89

@MirkoS77 said:

I don't have any trouble with a March release, but no NX at E3 is a mistake.

"Nintendo will probably do another digital event. A.K.A a Nintendo Direct. Thing is, doing a Nintendo direct AFTER E3, is three things. Less money. More focus on Nintendo. No competition."

"No competition". What's so wrong with competition? A business should never shy from it, it should embrace it every opportunity it gets head-on. It shows ambition, it shows they're confident, that they're not afraid and can stand their own ground. Running away for any opportunity to eek out their own little scene makes them appear like Sony and MS are making the rules, like they're weak and are getting bullied. I mean, why not? They're not afraid of Nintendo, and they basically get to dictate Nintendo's schedule and press events through intimidation of simply being in business. That's pathetic.

Why can't Nintendo for once take charge and "do things on their own terms", as so many of its fans love to say? They don't. They're terrified of of the competition, and because of their fear they don't operate on their own terms as everyone loves to think.

No competition in terms of media coverage is what he means, as in, they want to make sure that they have the spotlight when they unveil NX. It's the exact same reason for why PS4 was revealed months before E3. It's pretty much a textbook example of doing things on their own terms.

That said, not at least having a teaser of some sort is a mistake. They can make up for it by announcing a reveal event during their E3 direct.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I think not showing at e3 is the bigger issue than launch window

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I don't know, I wanna say terrible but... I mean, why miss Christmas? Don't they have any worthwhile games at launch? I'll be 30 when this thing is released and I don't even know if it's worth the wait. I wanna just forget about it, be stubborn Nintendo. The wait wouldn't even be that bad if Zelda was released this year, but noooooooo... annoying bunch of ******.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Nintendo's competition in march?.... Samsung and Apple