Nvidia bashes the console market yet again

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Nvidia has recently revealed that the next gen mobile grsaphic processors will outperform the 360 and PS3

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/03/29/tegra-5-faster-xbox-360-ps3/1

This was obviously going to happen nvidia.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Ok? They will beat out last gen consoles....That's cute. What about the PS4 and Nextbox?
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Critical levels of Damage Control from Nvidia right now.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Obviously_Right

I finding their bashing of consoles funny right now.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

super600

It´s not really bashing when it´s true.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Nvidia be cried.

SuddenlySudden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 SuddenlySudden
Member since 2013 • 618 Posts

Nvidia has recently revealed that the next gen mobile grsaphic processors will outperform the 360 and PS3

super600
Why do they have to do get all defensive? It's like they feeled threatened and they're arguing against nothing.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Is it supposed to be surprising that mobile hardware of this year beats console hardware that's going on eight years of age? 

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

MrYaotubo

I would say its just pathetic, bragging about a mobile processor outperforming 7 year old hardware.  Well congrats Nvidia 

russiaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 russiaAK47
Member since 2011 • 447 Posts

Butt-Hurt

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

lmao

nvidia is mad because no console maker wants their GPUs.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

super600
Mobile AMD Kaveri APU with GDDR5M destroys Tegra 5.
iPage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iPage
Member since 2013 • 91 Posts

Is it supposed to be surprising that mobile hardware of this year beats console hardware that's going on eight years of age? 

Vari3ty

Yes it is. Or don't you think playing games with Killzone 3 like graphics on your phone isn't impressive?

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="super600"]

MrYaotubo

Doesn't make it any less butthurt-driven.
muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

No suprise. A present day device that costs £500.00 odd for an unlocked version is more powerful than an 8 year old devise that costs a third the price.

iPage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iPage
Member since 2013 • 91 Posts

No suprise. A present day device that costs £500.00 odd for an unlocked version is more powerful than an 8 year old devise that costs a third the price.

muffin200

The big difference is that mobile devises such as smartphones are way smaller than a Xbox 360 or PS3 and they run on a battery, so having the same processing power as a Xbox 360 or PS3 on a smartphone is pretty damn impressive.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

[QUOTE="muffin200"]

iPage

The big difference is that mobile devises such as smartphones are way smaller than a Xbox 360 or PS3 and they run on a battery, so having the same processing power as a Xbox 360 or PS3 on a smartphone is pretty damn impressive.

Yeah, I read the article and I didn't get the impression that they were "bashing consoles;" it seemed more like they were just using console quality as a reference point. People know what kind of graphics quality they can get on a PS3/360. When you say that your mobile processor can produce console like quality, people immediately get it. That's all I took from it at least. 

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
Ok? They will beat out last gen consoles....That's cute. What about the PS4 and Nextbox?TheWalkingGhost
You expect a tiny smartphone to be more powerful than next gen consoles?
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Yet I haven't seen one game on the iphone that takes advantage of all this supposed power. Alot may look amazing but they have the depth of a god dam puddle.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ronvalencia

super600
Qualcomm must have caused some serious hurt for Tegra 4. Btw, the Adreno 320 is an AMD design i.e. mini-Xenos IP.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ronvalencia

lmao

call_of_duty_10
Qualcomm effectively blocks NVIDIA from the mobile phone market.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Its actually a bit weird seeing the guys at Nvidia act like this.

Butthurt and Jelly certainly applies to their recent behavior, but why?  This is like watching some 5 star chef throw a tantrum because hes somehow jelly of the guy flipping burgers at McDonalds.

I mean wtf?  Snap out of it Nvidia.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="muffin200"]

iPage

then again the atrocious battery life that goes hand in hands with smartphones and the fact little to no apps will really make use of the power make it pretty much a point that people wont care about. Look at the iPhone its borderline useless if you use it for anything but phoning when it comes to battery consumption or playing MP3s.Too much power in a small device looks good on paper but in practice absolutely hobbled by battery design.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Butthurt and Jelly certainly applies to their recent behavior, but why?  This is like watching some 5 star chef throw a tantrum because hes somehow jelly of the guy flipping burgers at McDonalds.

ConanTheStoner
I think its because AMD go the next gen consoles locked down and NVidia no matter how they try to shrug it off, lose a lot of sales from that deal. Think, if they had one console, and it sold 71 million over a generation, that's a lot of sales for their hardware. This coming generation, they get nothing since AMD snatched it all.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

lmao

call_of_duty_10

They probably thought with the state console gaming is in right now that it wouldnt be profitable in the long run. The console has to be a success for them to make any decent profit before price cuts and considering whats going on with the WiiU right now it looks like Nvidia may have made the right decision. Hopefully AMD survive this. It would suck if the only thing we had was Nvidia, as no competition means their prices will likely go up.

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

Nvidia is so butthurt that jelly is coming out in force.  Am I doing this right gaiz? 

Though honestly Nvidia is known to overhype their products. Sometimes they deliver and sometimes they don't... well and mobile phones aren't going to replace PCs or consoles anytime soon, especially with the way they're supported with toilet game experiences. 

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

Nvidia are scared

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

Phazevariance

I think its because AMD go the next gen consoles locked down and NVidia no matter how they try to shrug it off, lose a lot of sales from that deal. Think, if they had one console, and it sold 71 million over a generation, that's a lot of sales for their hardware. This coming generation, they get nothing since AMD snatched it all.

Well that's true.  I understand that they would feel bitter and all, but its a business.  You would think that 1.  They wouldn't make their butthurt so publicly viewable and 2.  They would just get over it and keep pushing forward.

Crying about and dwelling on problems doesn't really help an individual, so of course its not helping a corporation.

I dunno.  It doesn't bother me, but it just seems really awkward of them.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
[QUOTE="super600"]

ronvalencia
Qualcomm must have caused some serious hurt for Tegra 4. Btw, the Adreno 320 is an AMD design i.e. mini-Xenos IP.

I think the SGX 554mp4 in the ipad is more powerful than the xenos or rsx.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

How the hell ios this bashing anything? Guy is just stating a fact. When stating fact is a problem for you, the issue lies with you, NOT the facts.

Seriously? They are selling these things, a comparison with current gen consoles seems  like a great way to get accross their power, no?

People hear: more powerful than an Xbox 360, or 250 Stream processors at 800 Mhz!

Which are people going to intuitively understand more?

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#31 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Yeah if you read... in the distant FUTURE mobile phones will be able to have this GPU... in the future yeah one day. And when they do its not like people will be playing games that look as good as PS3 games so... whats the point? I game on consoles not phones... bring on PS4 :D

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
Well.... i guess good luck with that lol :p there also CPU and Power consumption consernes
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

How the hell ios this bashing anything? Guy is just stating a fact. When stating fact is a problem for you, the issue lies with you, NOT the facts.

Seriously? They are selling these things, a comparison with current gen consoles seems  like a great way to get accross their power, no?

People hear: more powerful than an Xbox 360, or 250 Stream processors at 800 Mhz!

Kinthalis

then again the fact they dont list any of the downsides to how high powered devices absolutely munch through batteries like a stoner on the munchies makes it a bit of a moot point in my book sure its all dandy we have that power in smaller devices but man do smartphones eat batteries.

arfy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 arfy2
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts

This  is non- news.

Some time in the future mobile graphics technology takes over 7 year old console technology. Obviously that was going to happen. Then after that some point in the future before this mobile graphics chip goes on sale to the consumer they need to solve heat and power consumption issues. ORLY !?!

Btw I'm typing on my 4 year old laptop that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. In my jacket pocket is a Note 2 with a quad core processor. I know there is still a gap in performance but this achievement is much more impressive than the trash talk above which is yet to happen and imo not likely for 1 to 2 years more.

I prefer NVIDIA to AMD but this is stupid. They need to fire their PR team.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Goes without saying that PC hardware is ahead of next gen consoles. Not financially viable having hardware that is beyond a card like a 680 crammed into a mass produced console.
NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

maybe its because i'm not a fanboy but I didn't see where they were bashing the console market...

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Meanwhile, at Nvidia HQ

crying-gif-2.gif

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
NVIDIA is butthurt because none bought their GPUs for next-gen consoles. I didnt hear NVIDIA say anything bad about consoles pre-released before... WE all know why.. They act like butthurt kiddos even if they making huge profits. What its sad though is that they trying to hit AMD under the belt with this bashing/marketing trick... Like NVIDIA is the only worthy and TRUE PC gaming solution VS AMD that are somewhat (traitors is not the right word but you get what i mean ) traitors to PC gaming and all these craps.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Kinthalis

How comes then , by your logic that is , they didnt say a word of those "facts" on previous , pre-release console generations? Maybe because some of those consoles powered by NVIDIA? hehe... Facts are facts but ... dont mention them whenever you are ... butthurt! Like NVIDIA is right now

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

ConanTheStoner

Act like what ... ? The only thing in that article is a statement from the Vice President of Content & Technology for Nvidia, saying that the next batch of phones will outperform these two consoles. The reason for their mention is because the HD twins are popular. It doesn't matter how outdated they are, they're relevant now .

There's so much sh*tty exageration in this thread due to the thread title solely created to get hits, that it's funny. 

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="iPage"]

[QUOTE="muffin200"]

razgriz_101

then again the atrocious battery life that goes hand in hands with smartphones and the fact little to no apps will really make use of the power make it pretty much a point that people wont care about. Look at the iPhone its borderline useless if you use it for anything but phoning when it comes to battery consumption or playing MP3s.Too much power in a small device looks good on paper but in practice absolutely hobbled by battery design.

Thats not really the fault of Nvidia, thats the fault of battery designers.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="super600"]

Kaszilla

I think the SGX 554mp4 in the ipad is more powerful than the xenos or rsx.

It wouldn't beat AMD Xenos i.e. SGX 554 MP4 has 76.8 GFLOPS.

51314.png

Snapdragon 800 LG device with Adreno 330.

gsmarena_001.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/mystery_lg_device_tops_out_glbenchmark_results-news-5778.php

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

MrYaotubo

Saying the PS3 is a better console than the 360 is still bashing the 360, even though its true

:P

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ronvalencia

NVIDIA is butthurt because none bought their GPUs for next-gen consoles. I didnt hear NVIDIA say anything bad about consoles pre-released before... WE all know why.. They act like butthurt kiddos even if they making huge profits. What its sad though is that they trying to hit AMD under the belt with this bashing/marketing trick... Like NVIDIA is the only worthy and TRUE PC gaming solution VS AMD that are somewhat (traitors is not the right word but you get what i mean ) traitors to PC gaming and all these craps.AzatiS

Eh? AMD advances the X86 ISA which underpins the X86 PCs and has the backing Intel's Havok Physics GPU (GCN).

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Borderlands-2-PhysX-Performance-and-PhysX-Comparison-GTX-680-and-HD-7970/GPU-

UPDATE: I did finally get an answer from Gearbox about the slow downs we were seeing on the AMD results. Apparently when larger collections of PhysX simulations are running on the CPU, those threads can take quite a bit longer than they would when running on the GPU. As a result, the CPU (and rest of the game engine code) becomes "blocked" waiting for a single thread to finish, which results in the lower CPU utilization we saw on the AMD results as well as the lower overall performance. Because PhysX is an NVIDIA engine, even if Gearbox chose to they likely couldn't add in additional multi-threaded capabilities to the PhysX code path so the slow down here is likely to stay.

NVIDIA gimps PhysX X86 CPU edition with a single thread version. NVIDIA is making multi-core X86 CPUs look bad.

Havok Physics GPU (AMD GCN) demo on PS4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnwmsTokso

A high resolution look at Havok Physics technology demonstrated at Sony's live event in New York. This demo shows a million particle real-time physics simulation running on the GPU of the Playstation 4.

Intel will make sure NVIDIA's PhysX is minimised from the X86 PC market.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts
[QUOTE="super600"]

ronvalencia

I was just going to say that. Butt hurt confirmed.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Tegra are sh** GPU... I remember how the Tegra 2 was suppose to destroy all,and all its games could be play on the Galaxy S 1 by just using chain fire,alto the Galaxy S 1 had the most advance GPU for its time on phones,much more powerful than the iphone 4 one.
Joel_Pichardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Joel_Pichardo
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

Tell Nvidia they can stop whining about consoles when they give us all $1000 GPU's :P

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

they better they are like what 7 years old now?

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="AzatiS"]NVIDIA is butthurt because none bought their GPUs for next-gen consoles. I didnt hear NVIDIA say anything bad about consoles pre-released before... WE all know why.. They act like butthurt kiddos even if they making huge profits. What its sad though is that they trying to hit AMD under the belt with this bashing/marketing trick... Like NVIDIA is the only worthy and TRUE PC gaming solution VS AMD that are somewhat (traitors is not the right word but you get what i mean ) traitors to PC gaming and all these craps.ronvalencia

Eh? AMD advances the X86 ISA which underpins the X86 PCs and has the backing Intel's Havok Physics GPU (GCN).

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Borderlands-2-PhysX-Performance-and-PhysX-Comparison-GTX-680-and-HD-7970/GPU-

UPDATE: I did finally get an answer from Gearbox about the slow downs we were seeing on the AMD results. Apparently when larger collections of PhysX simulations are running on the CPU, those threads can take quite a bit longer than they would when running on the GPU. As a result, the CPU (and rest of the game engine code) becomes "blocked" waiting for a single thread to finish, which results in the lower CPU utilization we saw on the AMD results as well as the lower overall performance. Because PhysX is an NVIDIA engine, even if Gearbox chose to they likely couldn't add in additional multi-threaded capabilities to the PhysX code path so the slow down here is likely to stay.

NVIDIA gimps PhysX X86 CPU edition with a single thread version. NVIDIA is making multi-core X86 CPUs look bad.

Havok Physics GPU (AMD GCN) demo on PS4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnwmsTokso

A high resolution look at Havok Physics technology demonstrated at Sony's live event in New York. This demo shows a million particle real-time physics simulation running on the GPU of the Playstation 4.

Intel will make sure NVIDIA's PhysX is minimised from the X86 PC market.

Though, Havok doesn't do fluids, It's very important In next gen physics.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Lol at consolites suddenly taking sides on PC hardware manufacturers, despite the fact it isn't the first time AMD is making console hardware, as did NVIDIA.