NTDOY/Iwata:"We are not aiming at children enough"(lolwut?)

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

http://www.cubed3.com/news/20387/1/iwata-nintendo-not-aiming-at-children-enough.html#.UumSJkDjuSo

Japanese website Asahi Shinbun quotes Iwata as stating how he felt that Nintendo weren't "targeting children enough" when it came to the latest home console, the Nintendo Wii U. With the Nintendo 3DS, the hardware has had a range of software that melds well with both adults and children, but a lack of advertising and focus had lead the Wii U's potential demographic astray.

I am pretty sure that's not the problem but ok Iwata.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (41036 posts) -

ZombiU was pretty damn terrifying.

#3 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3077 posts) -

Oh boy....this will go over well.

#4 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Wow, just wow. They really are delusional.

#5 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11922 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

ZombiU was pretty damn terrifying.

Especially the controls and the graphics

#6 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (770 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Wow, just wow. They really are delusional.

It's really scary, if that company was ran by someone competent, they could've been bigger than Sony

#7 Posted by silversix_ (14819 posts) -

They're a r*****d bunch and this is why WiiU has zero chance of surviving

#8 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

children don't have any fucking money.

christ.

#9 Posted by DocSanchez (1652 posts) -

Who are they targeting? Who? No one that's who.

God, they're giving me lots of comedy value recently. I'm almost starting to feel sorry for them.

#10 Edited by zeroyaoi (1934 posts) -

They need to aim younger. :o

#11 Edited by Willy105 (24546 posts) -

It's funny seeing some people react like this, completely unaware that children aren't as interested in Nintendo stuff as they were during the 90's. It's no longer about Mario, it's about Minecraft. Iwata's statement is very true; what's doubtful is his ability to live up to it.

@CrownKingArthur said:

christ.

But their parents do, and they buy them GTAV and Call of Duty. That's Nintendo's loss right there.

#12 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

I am sorta glad wii u is failing.. maybe by the end of its life. his dumb ass be replaced...

#13 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3981 posts) -

So their new business strategy is to appease more to kids? Get real Kidtendo, 10 years olds just want to play gta, not your overly kiddy crap. Limiting your focus on <12 y.o. without money to buy your games...I'm just going to LOL.

#14 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

What is wrong with him? Games aren't just for children.

#15 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3804 posts) -

Well if they can mix the right formula like a Pokémon or something similar... they have a point. The problem isn't good games... the problem is not enough good games. A few new decent IPs would do Nintendo a lot of good. If they target RPG's, and new mascot type characters they have a chance to compete this generation... or at least put themselves in contention next gen.

#16 Posted by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

I think Iwata is getting a bit old and senile for this line of work, just like Miyamoto. Time to find new leadership Nintendo.

#17 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3981 posts) -

Fucking Knack outsold Mario so fire that Iwata idiot.

#18 Posted by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2087 posts) -

This is a bad translation. What they said was that aiming at children was not enough apparently. Or something along those lines.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98864655&postcount=651

#19 Edited by Joedgabe (5127 posts) -

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

This is a bad translation. What they said was that aiming at children was not enough apparently. Or something along those lines.

I thought their games were aimed at everyone not just children.... thus why it doesn't say Ages from 5 - 12.

#20 Edited by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2087 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

I thought their games were aimed at everyone not just children.... thus why it doesn't say Ages from 5 - 12.

The games might have been. But the ads sure weren't.

#21 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3981 posts) -
@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

It's not a mistranslation, native japanese speakers (in japan) interpreted it as "We are not aiming at children enough".

#22 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

Sigh

Its too easy to rip shit out of context isnt it?

The actual quote is "Approach to children was not sufficient"

This is why i really fucking hate the internet

#23 Posted by DocSanchez (1652 posts) -

The frankly shocking adult nature of the year of Luigi had me at times very uncomfortable. Seeing Iwata in a green hat was very unpleasant and dark.

Their long term fans must hear this shit and just lose it.

#24 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22489 posts) -

He's not entirely wrong.

These days you're more likely to find kids playing angry birds and candy crush over the likes of mario. It's the sad reality we live in :(

#25 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26924 posts) -

Well, considering they are the company that made the mistake of getting Bayonetta 2, he has some sort of point.

#26 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26924 posts) -

@Locutus_Picard said:

Fucking Knack outsold Mario so fire that Iwata idiot.

Only in the UK. Outside of that... no.

#27 Edited by KHAndAnime (13918 posts) -

Even kids don't want to play kid games...

They want to play Call of Duty. Iwata lives in dreamland.

#28 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -
@Willy105 said:

It's funny seeing some people react like this, completely unaware that children aren't as interested in Nintendo stuff as they were during the 90's. It's no longer about Mario, it's about Minecraft. Iwata's statement is very true; what's doubtful is his ability to live up to it.

@CrownKingArthur said:

christ.

But their parents do, and they buy them GTAV and Call of Duty. That's Nintendo's loss right there.

yes its true that their parents do have money, but it is not the childrens money. you have to fill in a requisition form, get the parents to approve it etc. if my goal was to make more money, i would make games for the 15-34 age bracket. these individuals should have more disposable income than a child could access by proxy through a parent.

and yeah, those are the games some children are asking for. cod's on wii u which is all good. gta 5 ... eh the wiiu could get better games than that.

anyway, it seems now there may have been a translation issue. i best brush up on my japanese.

sumimasen, sayoonara.

#29 Edited by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

"Aiming at children is not enough" sounds a whole lot more progressive for us, but at the same time "not aiming at children enough" is also true. I'm actually wondering how many children buy Ninty games anymore. Not that I don't believe that their main audience is children for the most part (even if they tout it's for everyone), but the ones who do buy a lot of their products are us, the fans who have been with them since NES, SNES, etc. Maybe he is really onto something with that second meaning, as many kids I know of would rather play on their phone than buy a Ninty game any more. Anecdotal for sure, but iirc its been proven that mobile games tend to interest the younger demographic.

#30 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3981 posts) -

@AznbkdX said:

but the ones who do buy a lot of their products are us, the fans who have been with them since NES, SNES, etc. Maybe he is really onto something with that second meaning,

He just means that the core Nintendo audience should be kids and your nostalgia is irrelevant.

#31 Edited by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

@Locutus_Picard said:

@AznbkdX said:

but the ones who do buy a lot of their products are us, the fans who have been with them since NES, SNES, etc. Maybe he is really onto something with that second meaning,

He just means that the core Nintendo audience should be kids and your nostalgia is irrelevant.

I'm fairly sure sales are relevant. Nostalgia hooks pretty deep into that, especially from the Ninty fanbase.

I also said that their main audience is kids even if they say it's for everyone. Since they have no accessibility though, they are taking a beating on that front. That's one way to put his comment into perspective at least.

#32 Edited by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

It's true to some extent. Kids don't buy stuff like Mario and Zelda these days. Nintendo needs to a way to get the CoD and GTA kids into Nintendo again. I remember Miyamoto expressing interest in making an multiplayer FPS. Maybe he should try his hand at it. He is pretty good at making games that are both accessible and challenging, he could possible make a game that appeals to both CoD kids and fans of other deeper shooters like TF2 and Battlefield.

#33 Edited by ristactionjakso (5742 posts) -

Lol........huh?

#34 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Is more evidence required to fire this guy? Iwata is completely clueless about what the market demand is when it comes to games.

#35 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Willy105 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

christ.

Well, most kids were into Sega in the 90's. And the Playstation.

#36 Edited by SolidTy (43887 posts) -

Every single new Wii U commercial I saw were all about the kids getting their parents to buy them a Wii U...What else can they do to incorporate kids?

#37 Edited by trugs26 (5598 posts) -

Turns out that it's actually unclear on whether Iwata actually said that:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221366

"There is massive confusion around a statement coming from a Japanese report. It turns ou that even those very familiar with translations are having trouble deciding what Iwata has said. He either commented that Nintendo needs to better market to children or that marketing to children isn't enough to sustain Nintendo's products. Once this mess is all cleared up, I'll be sure to give you the final word."

#38 Posted by bbkkristian (14957 posts) -

With more kids looking for more "mature" games, this could mean Nintendo is going to be releasing more bloody gory games with lots of guns.

/obviously joking

#39 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

No it's not, I clicked the link. Sadly.

@Shinobishyguy said:

He's not entirely wrong.

These days you're more likely to find kids playing angry birds and candy crush over the likes of mario. It's the sad reality we live in :(

Didn't stop nintendos last 3 consoles. Where kids were playing Finalfantasy/Crash/Halo/Grand Theft Auto/etc.

#40 Posted by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

He's right, alot of kids are on tablets playing minecraft and app games. It's in the millions

#41 Edited by the-lone-gamer (96 posts) -

Good, keep up your delusional mindset iwata. that way the faster you run the company into the ground the faster nintendo will go the way of sega.

#42 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26924 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Every single new Wii U commercial I saw were all about the kids getting their parents to buy them a Wii U...What else can they do to incorporate kids?

Possibly talking with the other two parties about getting THAT game off their backs.

#43 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

You mean dumbed down Call of Duty clones on the Wii U?

#44 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9631 posts) -

Not sure what Nintendo can do to target kids more other than making a Minecraft rip-off and/or making an FPS.

#45 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9631 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

You mean dumbed down Call of Duty clones on the Wii U?

Well, they could always call Sega up (they seem to do that a lot) and have Conduit 3 made. I wonder what that game would be like with HD graphics. Probably be mediocre, based on what I have read about the previous games.

#46 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

Ain't that the truth.

#47 Posted by lamprey263 (24243 posts) -

If Nintendo wants to aim at children, make M-rated games, kids always want to experience more mature content, and parents will buy it for them.

#48 Edited by super600 (30722 posts) -

Iwata is talking about getting the current generation kids more interested in the console and handhelds they create. Both the 3ds and the WiiU appeal more to older nintendo fans.They probably won't just focus on kids, but the have always been successful with the kids market.He may also be talking about broadening their global appeal.

#49 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5679 posts) -

Though he needs to focus on much larger issues, this is one of the more realistic things he's said in a while.

I know it's tough to stomach for much of SW, but Nintendo tends to resonate well with the older demographic. And on the flip side, many of the mainstream games that you guys consider "hardcore" tend to hit it big with the kids.

#50 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25632 posts) -

regardless of whatever Iwata meant to say. He's telling the truth.