NPD To Start Tracking Digital Sales In The US

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

The problem with tracking game sales in modern times is that with the rise of digital, traditional video game tracking, which is usually restricted just to retail sales, is diminished a whole lot in terms of relevance and usefulness. And while we have seen a lot of trackers attempt to tackle this issue head on – Famitsu, for instance, now attempts to track digital sales in Japan too – western trackers are not with the program yet.

That will change soon- the NPD Group have announced that they plan on tracking digital game sales soon as well.

As has been experienced across a wide variety of industries, digital has made a big impact on the overall gaming market, and we’ve risen to meet the demand for a reporting mechanism that tracks those sales in a timely and accurate way,” said Joanne Hageman, the head of NPD’s Toys and Games division.

With the participation and support of leading publishers – whose cooperation makes this possible – we are excited to launch an industry-first service that addresses a long-standing need.”

For now, the initial reach will be limited. Only select publishers’ sales will be tracked, including EA, Capcom, Activision Blizzard, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Deep Silver and Warner Bros. NPD did state their intentions to broaden their range of companies covered in the future, soon, though. They also confirmed that to begin with, only PSN, Xbox Live, and Steam sales will be covered- this means that all of EA’s digital game sales on PC, all uPlay sales, all of Blizzard’s digital game sales on PC, and all digital Nintendo game sales via the eShop, are currently not going to be tracked.

These limitations actually make the initiative a bit… useless, for now. Hopefully the NPD work on them soon.

http://gamingbolt.com/npd-to-start-tracking-digital-sales-in-the-us

This the best thing ever. No more of the "I bet more than half purchased the game digitally" or "NPD doesn't track digital sales."

However, lemmings can still hide. I never see Cows claiming the digital excuse.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#2 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Well...at least it's the beginning of something that will be fun once again.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flyincloud1116

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Yes, real numbers that we can use to further our agenda.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

All tho im not one to prefer Digital copies and I normally stay away from Digital copies, but Im have increasingly been buying digital copies of games off PSN+

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Now the Vita Master Race can truly shine

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#6 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

This the best thing ever. No more of the "I bet more than half purchased the game digitally" or "NPD doesn't track digital sales."

However, cows can still hide. I never see lemmings claiming the digital excuse.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

For SW purposes, this is awesome

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Flyincloud1116

@Chutebox said:

Yes.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@kvally said:

However, cows can still hide. I never see lemmings claiming the digital excuse.

I expected nothing less from you Madame.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

PS4 will destroy PC and XB1 in digital sales

SONY IS A LEGEND they are legendary I CANT WAIT for the NPD's now.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

lol

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Yes, real numbers that we can use to further our agenda.

Exactly, time to rekt em.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#13 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@flyincloud1116: indeed. We are predictable aren't we. Xoxo

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Flyincloud1116

@kvally: Noooo!

O.O

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Yeah good luck with that. lol

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Chutebox said:

This will put an end to those "Well it could have been the best selling game of all time if NPD tracked digital sales" arguments.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Good, I'll be interested to see game sales for the big 3. Nintendo has said that their digital sales have been strong, so I wonder what that looks like?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

They've been planning it for years to my knowledge. I seem to remember them announcing this 3-4 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Well most people on here don't game as it is, so they might as well get more material to talk about.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:

The problem with tracking game sales in modern times is that with the rise of digital, traditional video game tracking, which is usually restricted just to retail sales, is diminished a whole lot in terms of relevance and usefulness. And while we have seen a lot of trackers attempt to tackle this issue head on – Famitsu, for instance, now attempts to track digital sales in Japan too – western trackers are not with the program yet.

That will change soon- the NPD Group have announced that they plan on tracking digital game sales soon as well.

As has been experienced across a wide variety of industries, digital has made a big impact on the overall gaming market, and we’ve risen to meet the demand for a reporting mechanism that tracks those sales in a timely and accurate way,” said Joanne Hageman, the head of NPD’s Toys and Games division.

With the participation and support of leading publishers – whose cooperation makes this possible – we are excited to launch an industry-first service that addresses a long-standing need.”

For now, the initial reach will be limited. Only select publishers’ sales will be tracked, including EA, Capcom, Activision Blizzard, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Deep Silver and Warner Bros. NPD did state their intentions to broaden their range of companies covered in the future, soon, though. They also confirmed that to begin with, only PSN, Xbox Live, and Steam sales will be covered- this means that all of EA’s digital game sales on PC, all uPlay sales, all of Blizzard’s digital game sales on PC, and all digital Nintendo game sales via the eShop, are currently not going to be tracked.

These limitations actually make the initiative a bit… useless, for now. Hopefully the NPD work on them soon.

There is no excuse for PS not having an exclusive/excluding FPS that people play at this point. Its the most popular online genre on consoles and after last gen cows claiming 360 was the shooter/COD box, all PS has are COD and other multiplats in this cash cow genre. KZSF is an Ambien. Mercenary dumps on it.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Flyincloud1116

@cainetao11 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

There is no excuse for PS not having an exclusive/excluding FPS that people play at this point. Its the most popular online genre on consoles and after last gen cows claiming 360 was the shooter/COD box, all PS has are COD and other multiplats in this cash cow genre. KZSF is an Ambien. Mercenary dumps on it.

What the hell does that have to do with anything Manticore?

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

Is their any reason to think Xbone vs PS4 would diff much in % of digital sales?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@flyincloud1116: Nothing really.............I just wanted to see if anyone would bite LOL

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#24 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

It's a good start, but they're missing a lot.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@speak_low said:

Let's see how true the claims of Quantum Breakfast having 50% digital sales really are. Watch the PS4 dominate in digital sales, just as expected.

Microsoft and Sony are not doing it so far. They will only track third party titles from some publishers.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

The only reason to do this is because digital sales are starting to be the norm.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Finally and that's good news for those that keep track for these things. Most of our games this gen are digital. This is a good start but looks like there's some missing marketplaces that provides digital content not counted yet.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

They listened to us!