NPD | April 2014

#1 Edited by Slashkice (13057 posts) -

Following the March debut of Respawn's Titanfall, the Xbox One shooter topped the charts yet again in April, but software sales at US retail did decline 10 percent to $227.9 million for the month, according to the just released NPD report. Total industry sales climbed 17 percent to $580.3 million, in large part thanks to the continued momentum of next-gen hardware - hardware sales jumped 76 percent to $192.8 million while accessories also increased 21 percent to $159.7 million.

Although Titanfall no doubt helped Xbox One, similar to March it wasn't enough for Microsoft's console to outsell Sony's. NPD said that PS4 was the top-selling hardware for the fourth month in a row. The next-gen picture has been rosy all around. "Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.

"PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40 percent compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months. Wii U software sales were up over last year by over 80 percent," he continued.

Source

--

Hardware:

PS4 - ~199k

Xbox One - 115k

Xbox 360 - 71k

Wii U - ~48k

--

Software:

inFamous: Second Son - ~82k

Titanfall (One) - ~77k

Kirby - ~41k

Mario Golf - ~17k

--

I'll update once we get the usual leaks.

#2 Posted by Animal-Mother (26574 posts) -

ahhhhhh I wanna see the numbers!

#3 Posted by lostrib (34973 posts) -

Is it sales wars time already?

#4 Posted by Desmonic (13508 posts) -

PS4 on top once again. This should be the norm until the Kinect-less X1 + pricedrop happen in June. That's when this race will finally get interesting.

Good to see Respawn find some proper success! :)

#5 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Xbone sold 115k LOL

#6 Edited by Desmonic (13508 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Is it sales wars time already?

It's always sales wars time in SW.

ALWAYS.

#7 Posted by Nike_Air (18318 posts) -
#8 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

infamous dropped like a sack of shit. thought it would do better. let this me a lesson to any lem out there who think sun set overdrive is going to be a system seller

#9 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Xflop is a joke. $399 won't save it either.

#10 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10399 posts) -

"Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.

That is ridiculous

#11 Posted by lundy86_4 (43047 posts) -

Good to see Titanfall doing well. Shame to see inFamous drop off. It's a solid game.

#12 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@lostrib: Yep the time where PlayStation completely owns this forum.

#13 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

infamous dropped like a sack of shit. thought it would do better. let this me a lesson to any lem out there who think sun set overdrive is going to be a system seller

Lems actually think SO will sell systems? LOL

#14 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (314 posts) -

The Quad continues to widen the gap.

#15 Edited by Desmonic (13508 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

"Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.

That is ridiculous

Next-Gen* ®

*May include ridiculous hype and sales numbers.

#16 Edited by Couth_ (10029 posts) -

Xbone is going to sell less than 50k in May with the announcement of the June price drop.. what a drop in sales... Infamous fell off the world too hopefully they make it a PS+ soon.. Probably after Knack and Killzone though

#17 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

That is ridiculous

i wouldnt look too much into it. ps3 was overpriced and x360 didnt have the brand recognition to set the world on fire. ps3 was outselling ps2 for its first 1-2 years as well, its all pr bs

#18 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

115k holy damn, that's really bad...

#19 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9981 posts) -

See cows Titanfall did boost sales lol holy shit

#20 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4045 posts) -

It's a shame Microsoft is stuck with a weak POS machine and almost no exciting IP's apart from Halo. Yeah I know, Halo. God help them.

#21 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10399 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

That is ridiculous

i wouldnt look too much into it. ps3 was overpriced and x360 didnt have the brand recognition to set the world on fire. ps3 was outselling ps2 for its first 1-2 years as well, its all pr bs

Still, selling "more than double" the previous generation is quite an accomplishment.

#22 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16979 posts) -

Ouch @ Xbox One number

#23 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Xbone is going to sell less than 50k in May with the announcement of the June price drop.. what a drop in sales... Infamous fell off the world too hopefully they make it a PS+ game by the end of the year.

would LOVE for this to happen and there is a very high chance it will happen fall this year

#24 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Funny to see MS still spouting the "Xbone is selling faster than 360" nonsense. The 360 was supply constrained and was sold out for most of its first year. They overshipped Xbone and demand instantly dried up after December. Its a dead console.

#25 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9981 posts) -

The game is not very fun...it's okay to look at but no lasting appeal.

#26 Edited by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

yawn edition

#27 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -
#28 Posted by Desmonic (13508 posts) -

Dat 115k sales boost! Dat system seller!

GG Sony, GG.

#29 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

here are the x360 numbers for all april months from gaff. u can see why ms dropped kinect lol

360:

April 2006 - 295K

April 2007 - 174K

April 2008 - 188K

April 2009 - 175K

April 2010 - 185K

April 2011 - 297K

April 2012 - 236K

April 2013 - 130K

#30 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1422 posts) -

damn 115k for bone is kinda low...I'm 100% sure they had this info before announcing the $399 kinectless version. Lets wait and see how many ps4's were sold in april.

#31 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Sounds like Titanfall except that game is not even good to look at.

#32 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16979 posts) -

"xbox one doesn't need saving"

#33 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9981 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Dat 115k sales boost! Dat system seller!

GG Sony, GG.

Talking about March and the HUGE drop off

Obviously people bought the X1 for Titanfall in March because 115K is sad ( unless the PS4 sold 100K )

#34 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25608 posts) -

^Selling 40% as much as the supply constrained 360 at the same point in its life....sacre bleu, terrible. This explains yesterday's move.

#35 Edited by Couth_ (10029 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Xbone is going to sell less than 50k in May with the announcement of the June price drop.. what a drop in sales... Infamous fell off the world too hopefully they make it a PS+ game by the end of the year.

would LOVE for this to happen and there is a very high chance it will happen fall this year

Probably after knack and killzone though, which haven't happened yet so I wouldn't be THAT sure

#36 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9981 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Sounds like Titanfall except that game is not even good to look at.

Titanfall is way more fun than Infamous.....way more fun.

#37 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

ive never played infamous game so all those powers and such would be new experience to me. i dont plan on buying it just wait for the inevitable ps+ edition this fall

@ghostwarrior786: We don't how well it is selling in Europe though.

its selling better in europe probably because thats sonys turf but damn i expected more from it in us. maybe they didnt market it enough over there, here in uk sony marketed it quite heavily near launch

#38 Edited by tonitorsi (8305 posts) -

The Bone's performance this month is the worst April NPD for Xbox history.

Very alarming.

PS4 is guaranteed to win this generation of consoles.

#39 Edited by Desmonic (13508 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: I know dude :P

Also, one of TC's quote says:

PD said that PS4 was the top-selling hardware for the fourth month in a row.

So unless it was something in the region of 116k-120k it shouldn't be too sad haha XD

Wonder how the WiiU&Vita did...dear god their numbers must be amazingly awful lol

#40 Posted by Slashkice (13057 posts) -

Talking about March and the HUGE drop off

Obviously people bought the X1 for Titanfall in March because 115K is sad ( unless the PS4 sold 100K )

The PS4 is #1 this month, so it's definitely over 115k.

#41 Posted by Bigboi500 (29401 posts) -

Good to see Titanfall doing well. Shame to see inFamous drop off. It's a solid game.

I guess you could say that. I mean I did enjoy the game and all, but it was very light on content compared to the previous two games in the series and was too similar to them.

#42 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9981 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@chikenfriedrice: I know dude :P

Also, one of TC's quote says:

PD said that PS4 was the top-selling hardware for the fourth month in a row.

So unless it was something in the region of 116k-120k it shouldn't be too sad haha XD

Wonder how the WiiU&Vita did...dear god their numbers must be amazingly awful lol

Looks like April is always a shitty month though but yeah MS knew this was coming and dropped kinect like a bad habit.

#43 Edited by Animal-Mother (26574 posts) -

^Selling 40% as much as the supply constrained 360 at the same point in its life....sacre bleu, terrible. This explains yesterday's move.

Holee shit.

#44 Posted by super600 (30380 posts) -

The PS4 probably did not do that amazing either. I heard that it may have sold under 200k in the US in April.

#45 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

ps4 has almost doubled x1 this month.

#46 Posted by Desmonic (13508 posts) -

Oh yeah... that megaton was yesterday right? They probably already had a very decent notion of the numbers. Hmmm... If NA is performing this badly, I wonder how the rest of world has been for them... :S....

Fun fact: French people actually say "Oue", despite the word being written as "Oui". Sacre bleu indeed.

#47 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3968 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Couth_ said:

Probably after knack and killzone though, which haven't happened yet so I wouldn't be THAT sure

maybe ur right. '@playstation says "inFAMOUS Second Son was the top selling next gen software title in April"

it actually beat titanfall x1 edition

#48 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@super600: You are as predictable as ever...

#49 Edited by xhawk27 (7232 posts) -

Infamous sure fell off the charts. I guess if you want to play Exclusives better buy an Xbox One.

Oh and the excuse from last gen .... but, bu it's more costly so that is the reason it's not selling as much.

#50 Posted by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

Deary me, i don't think the drop to $400 is going to have the effect some think. The X1 is doing pretty poorly.