Now that I have a Wii, I can finally make a thread about it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

It's been 3 days now I've been with my new Wii. And yes, I'm 17 with alot of brothers so all together we recieve alot of gaming hardware/software as gifts. And it's funny because alll I asked for Christmas was clothes, and yet I didn't get any 0_o.

Anyways, let me begin by saying that I fell in love with the Wii for the first 24 hours we had it. Wii Sports was alot of fun with the family and making all of our Mii's was hilarious. I thought the whole system was charming and the VC and other features were great additions. Usually, when we get a new game, and especially a new console, someone is always playing it and you have to wait a while to get any play time.

Which is why it was odd that the Wii was rarely being played. After the Wii Sports party died down, my little brothers (13 and 10 years old) tried out Crossbow Training, the Medal of Honor game, and Ghost Squad (Time Crisis knockoff). They spent less than 30 mins on each of these and they haven't touched them since (being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplace).

Understandable I guess, those are all pretty mediocre games. The two little ones and myself eventually all started files on Super Mario Galaxy. I don't think it captured either of their interests... To put it into perspective, since the 3 days we had the Wii, my 13 year old brother has 2 stars, and my 10 year old brother has 3 -- while I have 26....

If you can't tell, I obviously enjoy the game more. But I'm actually already a little sick of it. If I unlock a galaxy I don't like, I get kind of put off and getting the stars there seem like a chore. I keep playing hoping to find a galaxy a little more charming and clever but it's discouraging when all you get is something like Battle Rock Galaxy which has like 3 metal plartforms and a few spherical planets to jump on. Still a great game though.

I played Umbrella Chronicles for an hour or two, and it probably won't be played ever again unless with a friend.

I already have Zelda TP for the GC, and Metroid has never really been my thing. I'm dying to get some JRPGs on my Wii soon as I'm not really into console shooters.

As for the question of if the Wii is a fad and a gimmick -- I can't really say. It's easy to see why it's popular, it's cheap, fun for everyone, and it's the perfect family console with features like the Mii channel, weather, and news. But as it stands it just isn't competing with the other games I got like Crysis(PC), Bioshock (PC), Assassin's Creed (360), Call of Duty 4 (PC), The Witcher (PC), Rock Band (PS2), and World In Conflict (PC).

Now that I'm officially a 360/Wii owner, I can still easily say that I still crave the PS3 the most for when GT5 and MGS4 come out, and then my lovely Final Fantasies...oh yes..

How's everyone enjoying their Wii?

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
Wait a minute... You asked clothes for christmas?
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Koalakommander

Wait a minute... You asked clothes for christmas?Can-o-Mark

Clothes and money for clothes yessir. Stupid because they usually get clothes I don't like, but that's what giftcards and returns are for.

You don't like clothes? =/

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
That is almost exactly how I feel about the Wii. I'm a Wii60 owner also.
will_work4food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 will_work4food
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
I saw the Wii over Christmas time since my freind bought it for his kid and I don't see me a person that likes video games jumping around or waving the Wiimote looking at games that have horrible graphics that are not appealing to the eyes.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Got mine on Christmas, and I'm liking it a lot. Can't say I share the same opinions of Galaxy with you, I've got around the same number of stars and loving every minute of it. :D

Played Metroid Prime 3, the first I've tried in the Prime series. It's frustrating at times, and unlike any game I've played before, but it's still very good. Also got Battalion Wars, mainly because I wanted something to play when my online gets hooked up, and Madden NFL 08, although I haven't played it yet.

Actually, I've had some good playtime with Wiisports, mostly against my sister, who has already played more than I have. It's also probably one of the first games my parents have tried too.

Looking forward to No More Heroes and Smash Brothers in Feb. :)

TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

I've had a Wii since launch and have loved it ever since. One reason is that I'm an old school gamer that stupidly sold all my old games (or in the case of Beyond Oasis and Zelda, battery burnouts), so VC was a huge thing to me.

But really the Wii has a ton of great stuff that a lot of people overlook. Trauma center (both), Zack and Wiki, Excite Truck, and SSX blur are all really great games that don't get much press. Give them a try (especially Zack and Wiki and Trauma Center) and in these lesser known titles, you may find the Wii experience so many of us are raving about.

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Can-o-Mark

[QUOTE="Can-o-Mark"]Wait a minute... You asked clothes for christmas?Koalakommander

Clothes and money for clothes yessir. Stupid because they usually get clothes I don't like, but that's what giftcards and returns are for.

You don't like clothes? =/

Im not wearing pants- erm I mean, ofcourse I like clothes.
-PS360FTW-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -PS360FTW-
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
so sell it and get a ps3
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplaceKoalakommander

that line made me disregard the rest of your post.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I've had a Wii since launch and have loved it ever since. One reason is that I'm an old school gamer that stupidly sold all my old games (or in the case of Beyond Oasis and Zelda, battery burnouts), so VC was a huge thing to me.

But really the Wii has a ton of great stuff that a lot of people overlook. Trauma center (both), Zack and Wiki, Excite Truck, and SSX blur are all really great games that don't get much press. Give them a try (especially Zack and Wiki and Trauma Center) and in these lesser known titles, you may find the Wii experience so many of us are raving about.

TacoJelly
A lot of truth in that post.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Koalakommander

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplaceOntain

why would I waste my time with a Medal of Honor game for the Wii? It looked like something I played a long time ago on PS1 when i was like 9...

I have alot of games in my house that I don't touch. Crappy James Bond games, car crashing games, and generic WWII shooters are the most common that i leave for my little brother to play.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Love it.

Metroid PRime 3 was the best gameplay the franchise has had in its brief 3D history(cant compare the 2D to 3D games).

THe only knock is the overall experience of the game falls behind the original prime, but it blows MP2 out of the water.

Fire Emblem while i agree that game is so dissapointing with the lack of care put into it, but the addictive gameplay(simply put fire emblem owns strategy rpgs IMO) and the challenging and dang near punishing difficulty is such a blast.

And ofcourse Mario Galaxy. IT OWS. Only game this year that does not dissapoint me in any way.

Orange Box(its a game i have played before, i love portal, but team fortress 2 was really dissapointing)
Halo 3(some missed story opportunities)
Call of Duty 4(bad story, short single player, really repetitive but it is Intense)
Mass Effect(its so buggy, and it really wasnt the most amazing story ever, in fact it was more of a great summer blockbuster than an oscar winner)
Metroid Prime 3(like i said its overalll experience doesnt live up to the first prime)
Fire Emblem(no evolution)
Eternal Sonota(it was good, just gameplay and story werent all that)
Crysis(terrible multiplayer)
PS3 exclusives(outside of Warhawk, the others are either short, repetitive, or just meh)

So yeah Galaxy was the only game that not tick me off.
slick_gio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 slick_gio
Member since 2004 • 1523 Posts

It's been 3 days now I've been with my new Wii. And yes, I'm 17 with alot of brothers so all together we recieve alot of gaming hardware/software as gifts. And it's funny because alll I asked for Christmas was clothes, and yet I didn't get any 0_o.

Anyways, let me begin by saying that I fell in love with the Wii for the first 24 hours we had it. Wii Sports was alot of fun with the family and making all of our Mii's was hilarious. I thought the whole system was charming and the VC and other features were great additions. Usually, when we get a new game, and especially a new console, someone is always playing it and you have to wait a while to get any play time.

Which is why it was odd that the Wii was rarely being played. After the Wii Sports party died down, my little brothers (13 and 10 years old) tried out Crossbow Training, the Medal of Honor game, and Ghost Squad (Time Crisis knockoff). They spent less than 30 mins on each of these and they haven't touched them since (being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplace).

Understandable I guess, those are all pretty mediocre games. The two little ones and myself eventually all started files on Super Mario Galaxy. I don't think it captured either of their interests... To put it into perspective, since the 3 days we had the Wii, my 13 year old brother has 2 stars, and my 10 year old brother has 3 -- while I have 26....

If you can't tell, I obviously enjoy the game more. But I'm actually already a little sick of it. If I unlock a galaxy I don't like, I get kind of put off and getting the stars there seem like a chore. I keep playing hoping to find a galaxy a little more charming and clever but it's discouraging when all you get is something like Battle Rock Galaxy which has like 3 metal plartforms and a few spherical planets to jump on. Still a great game though.

I played Umbrella Chronicles for an hour or two, and it probably won't be played ever again unless with a friend.

I already have Zelda TP for the GC, and Metroid has never really been my thing. I'm dying to get some JRPGs on my Wii soon as I'm not really into console shooters.

As for the question of if the Wii is a fad and a gimmick -- I can't really say. It's easy to see why it's popular, it's cheap, fun for everyone, and it's the perfect family console with features like the Mii channel, weather, and news. But as it stands it just isn't competing with the other games I got like Crysis(PC), Bioshock (PC), Assassin's Creed (360), Call of Duty 4 (PC), The Witcher (PC), Rock Band (PS2), and World In Conflict (PC).

Now that I'm officially a 360/Wii owner, I can still easily say that I still crave the PS3 the most for when GT5 and MGS4 come out, and then my lovely Final Fantasies...oh yes..

How's everyone enjoying their Wii?

Koalakommander

I couldn't be happier with my Wii. I suggest you try out Zack & Wiki and both of the Trauma Centers. You allready own SMG, RE:UC, and TP so there is no need to recomend those, though I do suggest you play SMG all the way through as the galaxies get better and and better and you'll get a nice variety on your way to 120 stars. RE:UC is okay by yourself (really intense in the solo missions), but I usually have a friend playing with me (game basically beat). TP is TP so nothing really to add there.

I also have Wii Play (only good for groups), CoD3 (there are better FPS on the Wii), and Manhunt 2 (you'll like it if you played the 1st one, if you didn't then move along), but I wouldn't recomend those.

evilinla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 evilinla
Member since 2004 • 1351 Posts
That's a lot of gifts you got there for Christmas.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
[QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplaceKoalakommander

why would I waste my time with a Medal of Honor game for the Wii?

Because you are a hardcore gamer?

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

Wait a minute... You asked clothes for christmas?Can-o-Mark

that's the best christmas gift, it saves you the opportunity to have to shop for the next season, and you can spend your dough on the games. b)

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

So basically SMG has the same replay value as Forza 2.

Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Can-o-Mark

[QUOTE="Can-o-Mark"]Wait a minute... You asked clothes for christmas?c_smithii

that's the best christmas gift, it saves you the opportunity to have to shop for the next season, and you can spend your dough on the games. b)

True, but its just such a big letdown to see package for you, lying under the christmas tree, only to find out its soft and flexible and it doesnt make any noise when you shake it around.

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts
[QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplaceRK-Mara

why would I waste my time with a Medal of Honor game for the Wii?

Because you are a hardcore gamer?

He is so hardcore that he won't even try games before judging them ;)

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
Im loving the Wii just rented Trauma Center: New Blood awesome game I really didnt think it would be better on the Wii then on the DS but it is and the co-op is awesome, very underrated game even by me until I played it
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
I see you're mainly a PC gamer. Good man. :)
RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RazMaTaz-1
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts
I felt the same way when i had the Wii, but it died down eventually and after time it just gathered dust. Im glad i sold it, all the games that interested me, i played, and if anything good comes out in the future, ill borrow my cousins Wii.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
Welp, you value clothing over games, you're opinions are surely unwelcomed here.....oh wait, this is SW, nevermind.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]being the older and more hardcore gamer, i didn't even touch them in the firstplaceOntain

Why did you even post then?

kid_rock995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 kid_rock995
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts
After having my Wii for a good 7 or 8 months I can officially say I long for a graphical game like the 360 has. If you are looking for a cheap console with 2 good games (Galaxy and the upcoming Smash) then go for it. In fact I'll trade or sell you mine (360 money lol.) - If you want a Wii - Contact me.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I bought a Wii last year and had a good time with it for about a month. Then it sat in my living room for 6 months untouched. I sold it and got good cash for it with the games and a controller. With that cash I bought a PS3 because I wanted a Blu-ray player.

(I had to get Die hard in HD.) I really don't miss it.