Not owning which platform last gen was the biggest loss?

• 60 results
Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2771 posts) 11 months, 2 days ago

Poll: Not owning which platform last gen was the biggest loss? (98 votes)

PS3 46%
Wii 6%
X-Box 360 18%
PC 30%

IMO it was the PS3 in the end. Not being able to play games like The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Demons Souls, Little Big Planet 1&2, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, inFamous series and so on - thats just WAY too much to miss!

Nintendo Wii is close second with very few VERY amazing games. Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Zelda SS, Metriod Prime Corruption and maybe one or two others. Very few games, but so amazing that you just can't miss them if you want to call yourself a gamer.

PC is third thanks mainly to competetive gaming. Dota 2 and Starcraft 2 are simply amazing games, although they are not for everybody. It's worth to play them at least a few times just in order to understand whats going on so that you can enjoy watching the esport tournaments.

X-Box 360 has its fair share of great exclusives, in particular Halo and Gears series, but overall it ends up being last. It has a lot to do with the fact that most 360 games are also playable on PC though.

#1 Posted by Bigboi500 (31819 posts) -

DS

#3 Posted by natsm (63 posts) -

PC shouldn't be included in the poll because PC is not tied to any gen

#4 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2771 posts) -

@natsm said:

They are sort of tied to console gens because they compete with consoles on the market. Lets just count the games that were released during the PS360Wii gen.

Oh and they are also tied to my gen, because I'm part of the gen that started gaming on PCs when first PC games emerged. :)

#5 Edited by SolidTy (46581 posts) -

360 had a good start but a poor finish. PS3 was the opposite and resulted in a longer tail end for the generation. The PS3 is still not done. Wii was sort of in the middle, but kind of a weak ending as well.

The generation-less PC usually wins these sorts of polls in SW btw.

#6 Edited by charizard1605 (63079 posts) -

Not going to count PC here, simply because last gen I sort of drifted away from it for a while, and hence don't have much experience with it outside of Sins of a Solar Empire, Empire: Total War, and Civilization V.

So, here's my ranking:

DS>PS3>Xbox 360>Wii>PSP.

#8 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5541 posts) -

I think if you only owned a PC, a 360 or a PS3, there is games on another platform that are tempting.

I have to say the Wii is down there at the bottom imo. For me games never really got past the level of 'interesting' for me.

#9 Posted by MBirdy88 (9294 posts) -

PC > Wii > PS3 > Xbox360.

Hmm nah ... PS3 > Wii but not by as much as cows would have you believe....

#10 Posted by yokofox33 (30524 posts) -

PS3 would have been the biggest loss for me. So many great exclusives and I just enjoy playing multi-plats on it more than the other consoles.

#11 Posted by SambaLele (5545 posts) -

1- PS3

2- PC

3 - 360

4 - Wii

#12 Edited by Cloud_imperium (7407 posts) -

PC IMO . Only 3 games that I really liked on PS3 were MGS4 , Uncharted 2 and TLOU . Other than that most of my favorite games had been on PC ; Company of Heroes , World in Conflict , The Witcher , Starcraft 2 , STALKER trilogy , Amnesia : The Dark Decent , Crysis 1 & Warhead , Shogun 2 , Hard Reset , Shadow Warrior , Battlefield 3 (64 players) , Dawn of War 2 etc .

Not to mention few big multiplats that interested me like , Alan Wake , Witcher 2 , Metro 2033 etc weren't available on PS3 . Others like , First two Mass Effect games , Bioshock , TES 4 : Oblivion etc got delayed ports on PS3 . Few big games like SKYRIM and FEAR were also unplayable during launch on PS3 because devs couldn't code well for PS3 due to its architecture .

On other hand , only Xbox 360 game that I really wanted was Alan Wake and it ended up on PC . Gears was never my cup of tea . Halo 3 and stuff looked great but weren't enough to make me buy a console (but I played on it at friend's place) . Most big multiplats were available on 360 though .

In my opinion : PC > PS3 > Xbox 360 (last gen) .

So far, this gen , upcoming Xbox One games look more interesting to me than PS4's . Hopefully , it'll remain that way , since last gen Xbox 360 had fast start but later fell behind PS3 .

#13 Posted by 7MDMA (315 posts) -

Well, PC emulates Wii and Wii games are better on PC. Mario Galaxy 2 at 1080p + anti-aliasing is awesome. On topic: PC is the objectively superior gaming platform so I'll go with that. Graphics and performance superiority for 95% of games+ emulation+ mods= most unmissable platform.

Would only play a game on console if forced through exclusivity and even then for PS3 the only games that interest me are RDR(especially), Uncharted 2 and
TLOU. For X-Box it's Halo 3. I've already finished Uncharted 2 at a friends and will do the same for TLOU, maybe when get gets a PS4- so I'm not missing out by not owning a console.
-

#14 Posted by hummer700 (10239 posts) -

(I'm ignoring the PC) I think the 360 was best. Everything on ps3 is getting remastered for ps4 now anyway. I get to play some stuff I missed on ps3 so I'm happy.

#15 Posted by Shewgenja (11854 posts) -

I look at PC as a generationless platform, so I voted PS3.

#16 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

I don't like pc being included. Only reason to choose either one of those consoles over it would be exclusives.

But, considering you'll be missing out on awesome exclusives like Zelda, SMG, Uncharted, Halo, etc, by choosing only 1 platform, i'd say PC, since it also offered the best, definitive overall experience.

#17 Edited by 7MDMA (315 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

I don't like pc being included. Only reason to choose either one of those consoles over it would be exclusives.

But, considering you'll be missing out on awesome exclusives like Zelda, SMG, Uncharted, Halo, etc, by choosing only 1 platform, i'd say PC, since it also offered the best, definitive overall experience.

You wont miss SMG and Zelda by choosing PC. (last gen) I understand we shouldn't talk about emulation on this board but that's the capability of the PC platform so it is what it is.

#18 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

You wont miss SMG and Zelda by choosing PC. (last gen) I understand we shouldn't talk about emulation on this board but that's the capability of the PC platform so it is what it is.

True. I was even going to point it out after your other comment.

It's just i have a habit of associating Dolphin with the GC since the 6th gen PS360's aren't available. But yes, another point why pc gaming is awesome.

#19 Posted by lamprey263 (26456 posts) -

Xbox 360 would have been the biggest loss, it was really the best system for me for playing with friends, party chat was excellent feature and trying to play MP with friends on PS3 was a chore, it was pretty much my choice system for playing multiplats. Not owning one wouldn't have delivered nearly the same level of satisfaction last gen.

On the other hand, the PS3 and Wii each had their place in delivering quality as well. I'd of been disappointed if I didn't get to experience everything the last gen had to offer. The PS3 was probably the system I supported the least since I only played PS3 exclusives on it, at least while I had an Xbox 360. I had a 60GB BC PS3 and I probably played more PS2 games on it since it was BC and it made games look better on an HDTV than a PS2 with component cables would, plus the memory card issue being resolved was great.

#20 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8515 posts) -

I skipped the PS3 because I hate the controller and Sony doesn't have exclusive franchises that interest me. I drifted away from Xbox due to hardware issues, and this caused me to migrate to PC gaming. That was an eye opener for me. I'd say not owning a PC last gen is the biggest loss. I played mine more than I ever did my 360.

#21 Edited by HernandeZzzz (883 posts) -

Definitely the PS3. I'm going to ignore PC, since it's not a last gen platform.

#22 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9588 posts) -

If this is implying that you'd own all consoles but the one, then it's clearly Wii. PS3 and 360 are nearly identical and their first parties aren't anything to write home about. The Wii offered much different games and it had the best first party support of that gen by far. It complements the other consoles better than most. Any other combination is excessively redundant.

#23 Posted by Heil68 (48755 posts) -

PS3 with it's unprecedented GOTY's, a perfect 10/10 exclusive and 2 top 5 GOAT exclusives.

#24 Edited by starwolf474 (983 posts) -

While I would have been disappointed if I would have had to miss out on some great exclusives by not owning the Wii or PS3, the most important thing to me last generation, after moving to a different city than my friends, was online gaming. The online service on Wii and PS3 sucked, but playing games with my friends on Xbox Live was just as much fun as if we were under the same roof. Without Xbox Live on the 360, I would have done a lot less gaming last gen, so Xbox 360 was the most important platform to me.

#25 Posted by clone01 (25457 posts) -

I'm glad I owned all three consoles. There was something on every system that I felt I would have missed out on.

#26 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8217 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Well, I would, because I'm not a thief.

#27 Edited by Chutebox (38878 posts) -

For me was ps3. Only cared about a couple exclusives for wii and 360. Played a lot more on ps3

#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (153499 posts) -

@BlbecekBobecek said:

@natsm said:

They are sort of tied to console gens because they compete with consoles on the market. Lets just count the games that were released during the PS360Wii gen.

Oh and they are also tied to my gen, because I'm part of the gen that started gaming on PCs when first PC games emerged. :)

Uh you know games started on computer a long long time ago.....how old are you?

#29 Edited by Aljosa23 (26410 posts) -

Wii, for me. Most exclusive games and the PS3/360 are basically the same box to me besides Gears of War and Bluray playback.

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8217 posts) -

I would go with the PC. I would hate to have missed STALKER, Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2, and all those sweet, sweet deals on games for under $5 on steam.

#31 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6937 posts) -

would have been PC for me, followed by the Wii and then the PS3. The 360 had an awesome start, but after a relatively few years there was Little of note, and most of that came out on PC.

#32 Posted by Doozie78 (723 posts) -

PS3 when you're only speaking of consoles. PC otherwise.

#33 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (2048 posts) -

PC by a mile. I don't think I've hit 100 hours on any console game. Top PC games are in the 1000's.

But since so many are ignoring the PC, It's hard to say. I own both a PS3 and XBOX360, and...I'm gonna have to say I prefer the 360. It has the better OS by far, better multi-platform game performance, and far better driving game exclusives.

I'd like to believe otherwise because of the money I spent on the PS3 and games last year, but...there it is.

#34 Edited by BlbecekBobecek (2771 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

@natsm said:

Uh you know games started on computer a long long time ago.....how old are you?

If you count PC only (not Atari, Amiga, ZX Spectrum or other computers), its actually younger than NES as far as I remember. My earliest gaming memories are about a ZX Spectrum my dad owned in cca 87 and then I clearly remember playing Prince of Persia and Dungeon Master when those games were the shiny new sh1t. ;-)

#35 Posted by Suppaman100 (4516 posts) -

PS3 tied with DS (and PSP if you like jrpg's)

#36 Posted by vickissv2 (1789 posts) -

@BlbecekBobecek said:

@natsm said:

No , PC is not in direct competition with consoles.

#37 Posted by RR360DD (13147 posts) -

"Not being able to play games like "Little Big Planet 1&2, Heavy Rain, inFamous series and so on - thats just WAY too much to miss!"

Uh no, that would be a good thing.

#38 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17727 posts) -

In my case, that would be the 360 since it's what most of my friends gamed on. As for the libraries, I don't know, they're all kind of the same level of fun to me... except for the psp, which is garbage.

#39 Posted by ni6htmare01 (1277 posts) -

I don't even know that PC has Gen!

#40 Posted by PapaTrop (1710 posts) -

If you didn't own one of the consoles last gen then you didn't have a chance to play only a small handful of good exclusives. If you didn't own a PC then you didn't have a chance to play more good exclusives than every console/handheld combined.

And it holds true this gen as well. Even more so given how incredibly lackluster each console's exclusive lineup is.

Not owning a PC is the biggest loss if you're serious in any way about gaming (which I assume anyone on these forums is).

#41 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16938 posts) -

Probably Wii, the only system that hasn't had just about everything good on it ported.

Aside from Dolphin usage.

#42 Edited by Senor_Kami (8447 posts) -

Tough choice.

360 I loved Mass Effect and I would not have wanted to wait an extra year to play Mass Effect 2 on PS3. Lost Odyssey was one of my favorite games of last gen.

PS3 I would have missed not being able to play Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, and Beyond.

PC My PC is dog shit so it can't play most games. I would have super missed out on Civilization 5 though. I've put over 1300 hours into it. Other PC exclusives are take it or leave it for me. I don't like most games.

For me... probably 360 in all honesty. Some of those could be played on PC but I didn't have a PC that could ever possibly hope to play those games. I love the PS3 games I listed but Mass Effect is probably one of my favorite experiences of the generation. There's also a lot of multiplats that I wouldn't have wanted to play the PS3 version of like Skyrim and Bayonetta so those factor in too.

I will say though, that while I'd miss out more I'd tell anybody to buy a PS3 over a 360. You spend $50 a year and you get like 30 games a year and at least 10 of them are good, 3 or 4 are legit great. Plus it plays Blu-rays.

#43 Posted by Legend002 (9015 posts) -

PS3 or Xbox 360 since both were pretty much the same.

#44 Posted by mynamesdenvrmax (2215 posts) -

Of course its PS3. This is the internet which has been over run by Sony fanboys. How did a company so mediocre manage to grab such a massive following of totally obnoxious douche bags. Seriously, you guys are worse that PC fanboys.

#45 Posted by hiphops_savior (8100 posts) -

PS3 because PS4 has no BC.

At least with missing the Wii, you can always buy a Wii U, Wii-remote and nunchuck and a CCP to catch up to the massive backlog.

#46 Posted by Daious (2098 posts) -

@daforsaken1 said:

I was going for PS3 but then I saw PC. ....

Pretty much my feeling

Although the DS had an amazing library.

#47 Edited by finalfantasy94 (27024 posts) -

I would say ps3 espcially if you are into the nich JPN games. Alot of those on that system.

#48 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

lol pc aint even in this

#49 Posted by Puckhog04 (22809 posts) -

PS3, definitely. So many phenomenal games on PS3. I notice you don't have an option for the DS or PSP. Both of which I would put ahead of all the other 3 there.

#50 Posted by watchdogsrules (518 posts) -

even though i have a X360, PS3 is the biggest loss. the thing can play blu-ray movies!