"not once was I bothered by the lack of voice chat"

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/40233/one-night-online-with-splatoon

Along with other players reviewing the game (including our own Daan Koopman), I wound up playing Splatoon online for three hours straight. It was sometimes tough to get a game together (since the game isn’t out yet, the only players are reviewers and Nintendo employees), but all that did was give me time to play Squid Jump or quickly duck out to buy more weapons and gear. In all that time, not once was I bothered by the lack of voice chat, outside of wanting to high-five GameXplain’s Andre Segers (that dude is a ringer at this game) when we were on the same team, or complaining when Daan snuck up behind me and splatted my brains out. Playing online was a fluid, wonderful experience that didn’t show signs of wear or boredom even as we just played on two maps the entire time (Walleye Warehouse and Urchin Underpass). There are other maps in the game, but only two are available in each multiplayer mode at a time.

Real talk: all that matters is that for those three hours, Splatoon’s online multiplayer was incredible (ink-credible?) (editor’s note: No, bad Neal). For better or worse, when I looked at the prospect of staying up even later last night to play matches, I decided to say “nah” and back out of the online lobby. But then I then proceeded to plunk an hour into customizing my inkling and playing the surprisingly robust single-player mode. By the time I finally turned off my Wii U after 2 a.m., I went to sleep extremely happy about my first night of Splatoon. If this game can keep up this kind of online electricity, it might truly be something special, regardless of voice chat.

(How come I can create new topics but I can't post in the comments? wtf gamespot!)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

You're trying really hard to justify this.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Trying really hard to justify this.

It can't be. Call of Duty has Voice chat. There was no reason why Splatoon has to be a special snowflake in this situation.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

It can't be. Call of Duty has Voice chat. There was no reason why Splatoon has to be a special snowflake in this situation.

Oops. Was referring to the TC.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Splatoon doesn't have voice chat????

6/10 then.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Is it that voice chat hasn't been implemented yet or does it just not have it not now not ever?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Good follow up, all the voice chat in the world wont make a game fun. Also i wouldnt be two worried about the map, LoL has only 1 map and 70 million people love playing it. I wonder if they ever got voice chat yet in that game? I know they got other ways, but LoL use to not have voice chat, you had to type to people. Not sure why LoL did that.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I've found that most people in online games don't even talk when given the option, myself included, but I still don't see why Nintendo couldn't have just given the option to not hear other players instead of alienating the people that do want voice chat.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Basic options are basic.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Nintendo fans are always ok with anything Nintendo does not matter what. Nintendo could fill their games boxes with dog shit and they would take it and even make arguments to justify it like an abused spouse with stockholm syndrome

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

The other consoles do what Nintedont. :P

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Hey if its Nintendo everything becomes ok! even if they make a game that literally has nothing but a Start menu it will still be ok because Nintendo made it.

Anyways ANY multiplayer game that has no voice chat= lolz

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Nintendo fans are always ok with anything Nintendo does not matter what. Nintendo could fill their games boxes with dog shit and they would take it and even make arguments to justify it like an abused spouse with stockholm syndrome

Why do people still believe in this horribly out of touch BS?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Gue1 said:

Why do people still believe in this horribly out of touch BS?

Going by what iv seen on forums some crazy fans are like this. Though most call nintendo on their crap.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Great for them? Great for you?

Look, there would be nothing wrong if Nintendo were to include voice chat. More content and functionality are good things. This is fairly basic functionality. Some folks like to coordinate with players by voice. Others prefer not to speak or hear others, myself included. The option should be there for those who want it and implemented in a way that it does not interfere with the gameplay experience of those who do not want to use it.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Most people don't talk on ps4 and Xbox one online anyway, though I assume people are in party chat. Nintendo could have at least had something like that.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Nintendon't.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They should have included it because it's a basic function. They didn't do it though. They've been justifiably raked over the coals for it. Accept it and buy the game or don't. Time to get over it and move on.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

"http://www.nintendoworldreport.com"

Lol, shocker as fanboy site praises 1st party game, pretends flaws don't exist.

That site gave The Conduit 8.5/10 btw, they seem like an ideal site to reassure fanboys the crap they are swallowing is actually delicious ;)

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#20 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

I get that Nintendo is trying to do this for child safety. They really should implement some sort of party system like on XBL for cases like this. I don't care that much about talking to strangers on the internet on a console game, but many people will be playing with their friends and will probably want to use voice chat with them. Without voice chat, they will have to go through the cumbersome process of setting up another device with skype or something on it in order to talk.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Well, if the game is fun, i mean i'm not a shooter fan and the few ocassions o play DOTA or Heroes of the Storm i never use voice chat, so i guess that is all about how fun the game is in the end.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Is it because Nintendo gamers having the no standards that they do; are allergic to options? Because that seems to be the thing here.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Nintendo has gotten more flack over Splatoon not having voice chat than the Officers who killed Freddie Gray. That's pretty fucked up.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Who uses voice chat in shooters? I mute everyone the second I enter a lobby. If I'm playing with friends I end up having to mute everyone else because they are either:

A - Listening to loud music
B - There is a baby/mother/wife screaming in the background
C - A huge douche that isn't worth listening to.

There have been a handfull of times where I used voice chat and enjoyed it recently. It's helpful in the Raids in Destiny and I played with some Helldivers with some System Warriors. But it is not necessary in Titanfall, COD, Halo MCC or BF. People just like to use it for lulz agains Nintendo.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Link3301 said:

I get that Nintendo is trying to do this for child safety. They really should implement some sort of party system like on XBL for cases like this. I don't care that much about talking to strangers on the internet on a console game, but many people will be playing with their friends and will probably want to use voice chat with them. Without voice chat, they will have to go through the cumbersome process of setting up another device with skype or something on it in order to talk.

Nintendo's quest for child safety is one big reason why the console(s) and company are looked at in a less mature light. Does anyone remember when the official site had an actual message board? That was squashed a long time ago because apparently communication is bad. Very bad. We wouldn't want gamers to communicate, would we?

The die-hard, loyalists will defend every step made by this company but thankfully some of us objective fans have zero reservations calling them on their crap. I'm at the end of my rope already and it has become tough to support the policies and decisions of this company while maintaining a straight face. Five months into the year 2015 and Nintendo still has great difficulty implementing logical voice chat and online multi player. Is Mel Brooks running the show because the comedy and laughs are in excess.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jg4xchamp

@GoldenElementXL said:

Who uses voice chat in shooters?

This is such an asshole mentality, just because you do not use it, doesn't mean other people don't. As it stands there is no in-game option for speaking with your friends.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zen_Light

@jg4xchamp said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Who uses voice chat in shooters?

This is such an asshole mentality, just because you do not use it, doesn't mean other people don't. As it stands there is no in-game option for speaking with your friends.

Most of us don't care if assholes can't talk to other assholes in the game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp

@Zen_Light said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Which is still irrelevant to the basic premise that the game should have this feature, because having an option>not having an option. Not a difficult concept.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zen_Light

@jg4xchamp said:
@Zen_Light said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Which is still irrelevant to the basic premise that the game should have this feature, because having an option>not having an option. Not a difficult concept.

It must be difficult if fools like you can't get past it. I'd wager that even if it did have voice chat, you still wouldn't buy it. Therefor you're just another moronic troll on the interwebz.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

on the topic of voice chat.... remeber when lems made a big deal last year about cross chat?

on my PS4 ive only used it once...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Now it's just like any online game on a Sony platform. Nintendo is copying Sony now

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp

@Zen_Light said:
@jg4xchamp said:

It must be difficult if fools like you can't get past it. I'd wager that even if it did have voice chat, you still wouldn't buy it. Therefor you're just another moronic troll on the interwebz.

Who says I can't get past it? Majority of the people I play WiiU games with I talk to on Skype (Legendofnerd, aljosa, other gufu peeps), I like Nintendo to do new IPs so I'll actually support them when they do new ideas (obviously non shitty, albeit yes I did buy codename steam). At most I'm not touching the game till August (barring the single player actually being good) since you can't actually play with your friends with any consistency until August.

I can recognize that a game looks fun and that it does something shitty. In this case Splatoon's gameplay looks fun, the part where it is releasing with one game mode and 5 maps, and you can't play with your friends, there is no custom games, means that yeah I'm waiting till those are patched in, because I tend to draw my line at supporting early access games and glorified early access games.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Good for the article writer, still not buying a barebones game like splatoon

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68

@GoldenElementXL said:

Who uses voice chat in shooters? I mute everyone the second I enter a lobby. If I'm playing with friends I end up having to mute everyone else because they are either:

There have been a handfull of times where I used voice chat and enjoyed it recently. It's helpful in the Raids in Destiny and I played with some Helldivers with some System Warriors. But it is not necessary in Titanfall, COD, Halo MCC or BF. People just like to use it for lulz agains Nintendo.

I disagree. Some of the most fun I've had is playing with freinds and either

A) shit talking

B) joking around

C) both A&B

I do mute people if I go into a public lobby, but most the time I dont play MP games with strangers...i like to chat with friends while playing, like we did during HellDivers.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp

@Heil68 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

A) shit talking

B) joking around

C) both A&B

I do mute people if I go into a public lobby, but most the time I dont play MP games with strangers...i like to chat with friends while playing, like we did during HellDivers.

We're apparently wrong Heil for wanting things like options, us old timers amirite?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

TC, your quoting someone that is paid to make Nintendo look good. lol

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68

@jg4xchamp said:
@Heil68 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

A) shit talking

B) joking around

C) both A&B

We're apparently wrong Heil for wanting things like options, us old timers amirite?

Like us in LFD..I still recall, Yo Franky...XD

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Not exactly an impartial source of info.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

The other consoles do what Nintedont. :P

Well played good sir, well played ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

This is like saying a Halo review in official Xbox magazine is trustworthy lol

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

NinTen Years behind

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Great for them? Great for you?

Look, there would be nothing wrong if Nintendo were to include voice chat. More content and functionality are good things. This is fairly basic functionality. Some folks like to coordinate with players by voice. Others prefer not to speak or hear others, myself included. The option should be there for those who want it and implemented in a way that it does not interfere with the gameplay experience of those who do not want to use it.

Wow, pretty much exactly what I would have said... but you said it better. :P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Is it that voice chat hasn't been implemented yet or does it just not have it not now not ever?

It doesn't have any voice chat. Even if it ever gets voice chat it will be friends only most likely.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

"not once was i bothered by 720p in Hardline on my Xbox One" says a random lemming trying to DC for its mediocre version of the latest BF. This is the same shit we have with Splatoon. Thing is, voice chat isn't the only thing that's missing lmao.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

I don't expect kids to understand the value of communication for team tactics.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

I understand not having voice chat for random people and things like that. It is nothing but people screaming and swearing and losers being obnoxious. But anybody trying to justify the fact that you cant even talk WITH FRIENDS is delusional. Mario Kart 8 lets you chat with friends. SUPER SMASH BROS, a fighting game, lets you chat with friends. Yet, a strategic team based SHOOTING game doesn't let you chat with your friends? It doesn't make sense to me. Not one bit. Especially when titles that dont benefit at all from voice chat, like smash and kart, implement the feature.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Heil68 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

A) shit talking

B) joking around

C) both A&B

Heil your A&B are pretty much the same thing :P

Champ I never said there was anything wrong with options. Like I said in my post, I have used chat in games and it can be useful. But a game missing chat will never be a deal breaker for me. There are a half dozen other things, (controls, fun factor, performance, art style, sound design, graphics) I would put ahead of chat features in games. There are too many games that I play withchat that I don't use to really even miss it.

And I am an old timer myself. I remember when games didn't need to be 1080p, have in game chat or even a save feature to be fun. Gamers are too negative these days.......

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#48 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

@Zen_Light said:

Nintendo has gotten more flack over Splatoon not having voice chat than the Officers who killed Freddie Gray. That's pretty fucked up.

What the ****? I didn't think anything matches comparing ID theft to a terrorist threat, but that comes close.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The sad thing is that this is all about a game that most of the people here won't buy anyway, but want to look for something to crucify Nintendo over. If you want to buy it, great! If not STFU and move on. All your bitching and moaning didn't stop Nintendo from doing what they want anyway. Did your crying and complaining stop Nintendo from implementing their Youtube policy? Nope and somehow Nintendo is still profitable. Did your rants and tears about not getting an amiibo stop them from selling out? Nope. Still sold out before they freaking launch and Nintendo is counting the cash. Jeez. Its like hearing the worlds dumbest record skipping over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Get over it people its not happening.