No Trading in Destiny..

#1 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/25/destiny-no-trading-with-others-allowed/

Apart from a multitude of core gameplay reasons, including this...why does anyone still think this is actually a MMO?

#2 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10596 posts) -

"at launch"

EDIT: Nevermind, thought this was something else. Bungie knows how to make games better than anyone here, so just keep that in mind.

#3 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

"at launch"

"We want you to earn 'em. You should be able to tell a badass story for every sweet jewel in your arsenal," Bungie wrote on its blog last week. "Once you earn them, the various Guardians under your account will be able to trade them, but weapons belong to the players who acquire them through action and bravery."

Combined with the tiny PVP Count, and max of 12 players in a zone, 6 player raids, can someone tell me why this is called a MMO ? Just inexperienced gamers making wild claims I guess.

#4 Posted by lostrib (37604 posts) -

Considering all the info that has come out and many playing the alpha and beta, who still thought it was an mmo?

#5 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

I'm ok with this. There was no trading in the alpha or the beta and I didn't miss it.

#6 Posted by Snugenz (11891 posts) -

First off, i can't wait for the game and will play the bejesus out of it, but it's not an MMO it's like PSO with slightly larger instances outside of the hubworld.

Trying to pass it off as an MMO and trying to claim similarities between raiding in Destiny and raiding in an MMO is just silly when you really look at what the game is.

#7 Posted by humanistpotato (533 posts) -

its like borderlands which is diablo like fps

#8 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

This is old news they mentioned this a long time ago in the public beta.

Yes there is no trading, but what does that have to do with it being or not being an MMO? Border Lands and the Souls games have trading and they're not MMOs yet a lot of the loot in MMOs are based around "Bind On Pick Up" which is not trading.

#9 Edited by Daious (1370 posts) -

Good idea, it will keep goldfarmer away for the time being.

#10 Posted by cainetao11 (17702 posts) -

Guess I am not "anyone" because I don't think its an MMO. I think its an FPS my friends and I will have great fun with.

#12 Edited by lamprey263 (24151 posts) -

My guess is Bungie wanted a bigger online integrated game but couldn't really make it what it was supposed to be in time for release. Or, who knows, nobody has really got to see all the online integrated features, maybe we'll be surprised. Anyhow, wasn't the game supposed to have some kind of online integration, like you could interact with the world from work or while away from home with smartphone apps or from your computer at work and stuff? I just assumed too that they would attempt some kind of parallel multiplayer features. They will have a multiplayer mixed with some kind of faction system so who knows how rich that'll be. I never really played an online MP mode with a faction system, except maybe Lost Planet 2, but I still don't get it really. I think MAG was supposed to do something similar.

#13 Edited by lawlessx (46772 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Considering all the info that has come out and many playing the alpha and beta, who still thought it was an mmo?

Bungie still calls it an MMO..but im starting to wonder just how many of them have actually played afew good MMOs

#14 Posted by watchdogsrules (443 posts) -

i like the idea of earning your weapons, one day you can look at your inventory and be like "wow, i did that?"

#15 Posted by watchdogsrules (443 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus: because it is an MMO.

#16 Posted by Snugenz (11891 posts) -

@watchdogsrules said:

@RoboCopISJesus: because it is an MMO.

You know what the first "M" in "MMO" stands for right?.

#17 Posted by watchdogsrules (443 posts) -

@Snugenz: no shit, its massively.

#18 Posted by MBirdy88 (8317 posts) -

@watchdogsrules said:

Clever Boy!

Whats massive about 4 people teams. whats massive about 12 player PvP?

Then again it does have massive persistant zones....

#19 Posted by Sushiglutton (5328 posts) -

Yeah allowing trading would shrink the microtransaction market, so it makes sense.

#20 Posted by watchdogsrules (443 posts) -

@MBirdy88: what makes it massive is that a whole bunch of people are gonna buy it, lol.

#21 Posted by gago-gago (9537 posts) -

I remember Borderlands 2 had some sort of trading. It was fun and nice giving and receiving unique items. I don't think Destiny has the same amount of arsenal as Borderlands so I guess it's ok. I just hope unlocking items in Destiny are worth unlocking.

#22 Edited by mikhail (2269 posts) -

There was so much confusion on what exactly Destiny was for so long that I'm not surprised people still think it's an MMO. I mean hell...it even has "Raids" - even though they're six players, that is MMO terminology. Bungie is sabotaging their own product by using language like that.

No trading is the post-2.0 Diablo 3 Blizzard model of perpetuating the gear grind. All worthwhile items are account bound, which effectively means there is no trading whatsoever in Diablo. Gotta keep people playing so they buy that next expansion pack.

#23 Posted by Couth_ (10162 posts) -
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

"at launch"

"We want you to earn 'em. You should be able to tell a badass story for every sweet jewel in your arsenal," Bungie wrote on its blog last week. "Once you earn them, the various Guardians under your account will be able to trade them, but weapons belong to the players who acquire them through action and bravery."

Combined with the tiny PVP Count, and max of 12 players in a zone, 6 player raids, can someone tell me why this is called a MMO ? Just inexperienced gamers making wild claims I guess.

It's not called an MMO.. they dropped that a long time ago.. and lol at being able to tell a story for loot... most of them you acquire as junk

#24 Edited by SolidTy (43735 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/25/destiny-no-trading-with-others-allowed/

Apart from a multitude of core gameplay reasons, including this...why does anyone still think this is actually a MMO?

After playing the Beta I decided I wasn't buying it anyways (maybe for $20), but this is just one more reason to stay the hell away from Activision.

Pretty sucky decision imo. Makes the idea of playing with friends even less rewarding.

#25 Edited by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

Why do you care as you will not be playing it, unless, you didn't buy a console did you? Would that not be beneath you? Hmm must consider this...

#26 Posted by silversix_ (14787 posts) -

GW2 has not proper trading features so its not an mmo as well? No. Its one. Im actually perfectly fine with Destiny having no trading features (hopefully not at launch or later on) because i don't want this to become a game full of hacked items like BL and BL2.

#27 Edited by Snugenz (11891 posts) -

@watchdogsrules said:

Yeah and there's nothing massive about Destiny in fact there are many shooters that people wouldn't dream of calling an MMO that have much much higher player counts and bigger maps.

#28 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

GW2 has not proper trading features so its not an mmo as well? No. Its one. Im actually perfectly fine with Destiny having no trading features (hopefully not at launch or later on) because i don't want this to become a game full of hacked items like BL and BL2.

GW2 has a big robust auction house and its own thriving economy and that counts as major mmo trading. Either way Destiny is not a mmo in any way.

#29 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10596 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

because i don't want this to become a game full of hacked items like BL and BL2.

Very curious why Gearbox never patched the duplicating and whatnot that goes on in Borderlands 2.

I still don't see a problem with there being no trading.

#30 Posted by Snugenz (11891 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

because i don't want this to become a game full of hacked items like BL and BL2.

Very curious why Gearbox never patched the duplicating and whatnot that goes on in Borderlands 2.

Probably because it's not a competitive game and if people wanna dupe let them dupe. I mean getting the best weps from duping just shortens the length of the game for you it doesn't actually affect anyone else.

#31 Posted by Kjranu (1029 posts) -

I'd rather Bungie create a spiritual successor to Halo than this fake MMO mess.

#32 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10596 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Probably because it's not a competitive game and if people wanna dupe let them dupe. I mean getting the best weps from duping just shortens the length of the game for you it doesn't actually affect anyone else.

The entire point of the game though is to find the best loot and fight more and more powerful enemies (why they allow you to overpower your character now) and having the ability to dupe weapons lessens that.

Whatever there are still people like me that don't mind tilling earth to farm the shit out of everything (except damn Krieg doesn't spawn shotguns!)

#33 Posted by Snugenz (11891 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@Snugenz said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

The entire point of the game though is to find the best loot and fight more and more powerful enemies (why they allow you to overpower your character now) and having the ability to dupe weapons lessens that.

Whatever there are still people like me that don't mind tilling earth to farm the shit out of everything (except damn Krieg doesn't spawn shotguns!)

Exactly my point and thats how dupers are lowering the length of their game. An item found is much more satisfying in a game like that than an weapon given could ever be.

#34 Edited by silversix_ (14787 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

Not exactly true because they tried to remove duped/hacked items in both games (in BL2 they tried it twice...) and epic failed. The day i see raid bosses die in 5sec instead of 5+ minutes is the day im out of Destiny. Hacked everything is my biggest problem with BL and its pretty guaranteed to not change for their Presequel.

#35 Posted by MBirdy88 (8317 posts) -

@watchdogsrules said:

@MBirdy88: what makes it massive is that a whole bunch of people are gonna buy it, lol.

yea... no... has nothing to do with a genre.

#36 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3835 posts) -

Well..... Diablo 3 is better off without trading, that's all I have to say.

#37 Posted by Shewgenja (9615 posts) -

Good. No Chinese Weapon Farmers.

#38 Edited by watchdogsrules (443 posts) -

@MBirdy88: and thats why it was a joke.

#39 Posted by wolverine4262 (19382 posts) -

I can't wait to pick up my copy just so I can return it. Last straw, Bungie. LAST STRAW!!!