No Mans Sky to be the next big Indie game since Minecraft?

• 70 results
#1 Edited by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -

It's a journey to the center of the Galaxy! Are you up for the challange? Lems/Herms?... Oh wait XD

So you are a man/creature who gets to explore the Galaxy and land on any planet you see. There is a ton of things going on on every planet, from wild animals going about their buisness to alien attacks. Your task is to suit yourself up to make it to the center of the Galaxy. What awaits you there.. Is unknown. But it will be "Significant" according to lead game designer of Hello Games, Sean Murray...

OMG! So much shit I can't even fathom right now. Honestly. This is the game of my dreams. And i hope they pull it off (They will, i know it). And what better place for it to be than PlayStation 4 right?!?

Whats your opinions on the game? Wonder or Blunder?

EDIT: I'm not saying it will be as big as Minecraft, just asking if you think it will be a good game in general and if it will be a big tier indie game.

#2 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11116 posts) -

It will be great, no doubt and sell very well. But I don't see it becoming as big as Minecraft.

-Edit-

I misread, I thought you said as big as Minecraft. But yeah I can see it becoming the next "big" indie game.

#3 Edited by gameofthering (10134 posts) -

I think a better place would be the PS3/360/PC.

It would reach more people.

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (29514 posts) -

After Minecraft?

So in 5 years?

#5 Posted by parkurtommo (26476 posts) -

I can't imagine that because the things that made Minecraft big are not really in NMS. Very abstract and simple art style allowed people with absolutely 0 artistic capabilities to mod the game and produce a lot of content. It got big because of it's innovative gameplay and infinite content. NMS might be innovative and have endless content but it's not as abstract and won't be moddable to the same extent. There won't be as much appeal to watching people play NMS as Minecraft had on youtube.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (7841 posts) -

Take boring, times it a billion.

No mans sky?

#7 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -

No mans sky?

It's a beautiful game. How dare you cretin.

#8 Posted by B4X (3625 posts) -

If they have 1/8th of the success that Minecraft has managed. They will have a major hit on their hands.

#9 Edited by Wasdie (49628 posts) -

Media wise sure, but if they only release on one platform then no. Minecraft got popular through word of mouth and the fact that everybody could play it on their PCs because it wasn't graphically demanding and would run fine on laptops. Demand for the game shot up when they started porting it too. A lot of kids don't really have access to PCs for various reasons but do have access to game consoles.

It also took years for Minecraft to get huge. The first year or two it was only really popular among existing gamers.

If they launch exclusively on the PS4 and stay there, the sale will be alright but nothing massive until they expand the base to the PC and Xbox One and maybe even last gen stuff if they could. A tablet port would be huge like Minecraft on iOS.

#10 Posted by parkurtommo (26476 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

No mans sky?

It's a beautiful game. How dare you cretin.

His name is appropriately uninspired.

#11 Edited by MonsieurX (29514 posts) -

...you know this is coming to PC,right?

#12 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

so far nothing looks interesting game made by 6 people. hope i will proven wrong and game will turn out better than im expecting

but Star citizen and elite dangerous looks better choices.

#13 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -

But PS4 gets it first broseph.

lolmonsieurx post.

#14 Posted by MonsieurX (29514 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

lolmonsieurx post.

Thanks for beta testing!

#15 Edited by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

lolmonsieurx post.

Thanks for beta testing!

Lol Hermits. What ya gonna do widm?

#16 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

Minecraft pulled a Wii on us and that's never easy because it's just random. You can bet that the Minecraft creator will never be able to make another game as successful as that one again.

#17 Posted by BigBadBully (575 posts) -

Up in the air with this game. Just seems with how huge the world is, how populated will the individual planets be and how much depth? Will there be a lot of dead space like an open world game with nothing going on to make it interesting. Also, the space combat looked mediocre.

#18 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Lol Hermits. What ya gonna do widm?

but consoles are not getting star citizen and elite dangerous

#19 Posted by aroxx_ab (9276 posts) -

At least you dont have to build your own world in No Mans Sky...

#20 Posted by Heil68 (43462 posts) -

I'll enjoy No Man more i think. I dont have to build a world, it's already there.

#21 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

@BigBadBully said:

Up in the air with this game. Just seems with how huge the world is, how populated will the individual planets be and how much depth? Will there be a lot of dead space like an open world game with nothing going on to make it interesting. Also, the space combat looked mediocre.

edit: sorry, I gave the wrong link, this one is the correct one: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-does-no-mans-skys-universe-actually-work/1100-6420893/

It will blow your mind how clever and complex its design really is yet so simple in concept.

#22 Posted by BldgIrsh (1619 posts) -

@Gue1: Uhm. You were mind-blowned by how "weird" 60 FPS looked. So, you aren't the greatest person to hype up a game for complexity while being simple.

#23 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -
@bldgirsh said:

@Gue1: Uhm. You were mind-blowned by how "weird" 60 FPS looked. So, you aren't the greatest person to hype up a game for complexity while being simple.

Butthurt aside, It's fucking impressive.

#24 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23519 posts) -

i can't wait to play this game.

even knowing 100% for sure and without any doubt that "procedurally generated" really means a shitload of same-y content is not enough to put me off.

#25 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

I never said I was mindblowed by how 60 frames looked like, da fuck you talking about? I play Marvel and a bunch of other 60 frames games on top of playing all my PS2 collection on emulator.

What I said is that it looked sped up in reference to the video player itself. The Youtube player at 60 frames is still in beta you know, and it's for a reason.

Now go away with your spins and butthurt to troll someone else.

#26 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27385 posts) -

Looks great! Whats its release dates (PS4, PC) do we know?

#27 Edited by SambaLele (5184 posts) -

I prefer not to hype any game. Hype for me kind of works like this: even if the game achieves that expectation, the hype itself partially ruins the experience. It's best to expect nothing of the game and try it for what it is.

#28 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

I think it has a chance to be the next big indie game.

#29 Posted by PapaTrop (491 posts) -

Not unless it's multiplatform, but even then it'll don't think it'll be as big as Minecraft.

Maybe it'll be closer to the levels of games like DayZ or Rust (on PC) which have sold a few million each. Just depends on the quality of the game, and how hyped up it gets.

#30 Posted by Wasdie (49628 posts) -

Sounding like next year and launching exclusively on the PS4 at first. Nothing's confirmed but the hints are pointing in that direction.

#31 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

nope. It simply can't reach the level of Minecraft with being just on a console (and that too, with a really less consumer base).

#32 Posted by cfisher2833 (1583 posts) -

It might be good, but I still don't have a good idea as to what they'll be having you do in the game. If it's just walking around, discovering animals and caves, then it'll get incredibly boring very quickly. If there's some crafting component, like maybe you can build a better ship or create a base somewhere, then it could be good; we haven't seen any sort of ship progression so far--there being only one ship model we've seen used by the character. The online aspect will also severely limit the game's potential. Minecraft and games like Rust thrive because of the communal aspects. When your discovery/crafting? game requires you to essentially solo it, it's not as likely to have as much staying power.

#33 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27385 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Sounding like next year and launching exclusively on the PS4 at first. Nothing's confirmed but the hints are pointing in that direction.

Cheers old chap! :)

#34 Edited by GarGx1 (2496 posts) -

You can bet your bottom dollar that No Man's Sky will be on every platform Hello Games can squeeze it on to. Just look at Joe Dangerous, it's on everything from PSN to Ipod.

#35 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2539 posts) -

Don't think so . I doubt it'll reach sales of Minecraft . On other hand The Forest is getting millions of views on youtube and it is slowly but surely becoming as popular as DayZ is . But that game is far from being finished .

Short Answer : No . But it going to be a great game and very popular once it is available on all platform .

#36 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

It's a journey to the center of the Galaxy! Are you up for the challange? Lems/Herms?... Oh wait XD

Yeah PC is getting more space games. This game is just media hype.

#37 Posted by trugs26 (5295 posts) -

Hm. I'm not a fan of first-person mode in vehicles. Hopefully they make this an option rather than force their "immersive" camera angle on me.

#38 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4713 posts) -

No, the game is over hyped because console gamers are ignorant about procedurally generated games & are stupid enough to believe the devs lies

You are going to play this for a few hours & notice everything is copy/pasted with slight variations (recolor) & since it's PS4 exclusive (for now) which means no mods, no mods means people are going to get bored of it extra fast, Minecraft was all about the mods, half the official updates were just mods Notch ripped off

#39 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

So much hype on this one little game. Lets see some gameplay of it.

#40 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: The game will be multiplat either at launch or a few months after release. So yes, I'm sure lems and hermits are ready. At the rate this game is being developed, it probably won't be released until 2016. It should be interesting. Would like to see what type of worlds can be explored.

#41 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -
@blackace said:

@scottpsfan14: The game will be multiplat either at launch or a few months after release. So yes, I'm sure lems and hermits are ready. At the rate this game is being developed, it probably won't be released until 2016. It should be interesting. Would like to see what type of worlds can be explored.

As a manticore you seem to really fight for Xbox lol. Stop with your lies.

#42 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -

No, the game is over hyped because console gamers are ignorant about procedurally generated games & are stupid enough to believe the devs lies

You are going to play this for a few hours & notice everything is copy/pasted with slight variations (recolor) & since it's PS4 exclusive (for now) which means no mods, no mods means people are going to get bored of it extra fast, Minecraft was all about the mods, half the official updates were just mods Notch ripped off

Which is why Minecraft is selling faster on consoles than PC. Lol.

#43 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

This game is not going to be only on PS4 for more than 3 months. Sony can't afford anymore. LOL

#44 Posted by BldgIrsh (1619 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@bldgirsh said:

I never said I was mindblowed by how 60 frames looked like, da fuck you talking about? I play Marvel and a bunch of other 60 frames games on top of playing all my PS2 collection on emulator.

What I said is that it looked sped up in reference to the video player itself. The Youtube player at 60 frames is still in beta you know, and it's for a reason.

They must've somehow made it go faster than 60 FPS. xP /sarcasm

#45 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@Gue1 said:

@bldgirsh said:

They must've somehow made it go faster than 60 FPS. xP /sarcasm

if it were perfect it wouldn't be in "beta", don't you think?

#46 Posted by pyro1245 (547 posts) -

So how long do you think we'll be able to explore a procedurally generated world until we get bored. I'm excited about this game. Procedural code is awesome and fun, but it can get a bit repetitive. Also what is there to do besides explore? Is it supposed to be a sort of survival game? Can you explore with other like co-op or maybe MMO style?

To answer your question: No. I doubt it will be as big as minecraft since you can't create, only explore. So the success will be tied to how robust the procedural generation is.

#47 Edited by lawlessx (46558 posts) -

......so we're just gonna pretend to not know about the likely PC release then?

#48 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -
#49 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1394 posts) -

As big as Minecraft? Not a chance. I mean Minecraft is even selling toys at big retailers.

#50 Edited by sts106mat (19029 posts) -

hahaha, not a fucking hope in hell.

Minecraft is definitely not my type of game, my son love is though.

But this game definitely is my thing.

But .....

Lol at thinking it'll be even 10% as successful as minecraft...

No man's sky annuals,

No man's sky lego,

No man's sky plush toys

hahahahahaha