Nintendo's Arrogance is Reaching New Limits

#1 Posted by Gue1 (11251 posts) -

while Shu is being a gentleman now we have Miyamoto acting like a douche claiming that E3 was all shooters and that Nintendo were the only ones to actually show variety.

Miyamoto: Every year a number of companies exhibit at E3 and Nintendo is compared with other companies, most likely with Sony and Microsoft. This year, the majority of what the other developers exhibited was bloody shooter software that was mainly set in violent surroundings or, in a different sense, realistic and cool worlds. Because so many software developers are competing in that category, it seemed like most of the titles at the show were of that kind. In such circumstances, Nintendo looked very unique and was able to receive such positive reactions as “Nintendo had a variety of different software” and “the company is offering games we can feel safe with.” From this aspect of differentiation with the other companies, we had a great E3 show this year.

Read more at http://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-says-nintendos-games-able-stand-bloody-shooters-e3/

This a comment I took from neogaf user Freeman:

Nintendo has no self-awareness.

No Man's Sky,LBP3, Civilization Beyond Earth, Fantasia Music Evolved, a multitude of racing games (DC, FH2, etc), Grim Fandango, Magicka 2, Project Spark, The Witness, Valiant Hearts, all non-violent games completely different from each other.

Even withing the violent games we have MGSV, Sunset Overdrive, Evolve, Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege, The Order, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Batman AK, etc, all completely different takes.

They are just creating a narrative that fits what they want to see. With the indie scene, digital distribution, self-publishing there is more variety than ever, you just have to look for it.

I know what the sheep and nintendo apologists are gonna say but what the rest of you think about this?

#2 Posted by Ghost120x (4147 posts) -

Okay.

#3 Edited by SolidTy (45769 posts) -

I get bored of shooters and violence, so I agree it's nice to see other things...but I also agree if you saw E3 there was plenty of Non shooters there displayed like The Witness, No Man's Sky, Little Big Planet 3, Grim Fandango, Civilization Beyond Earth, Valiant Hearts, a bunch of racers, etc. Those are what I'm usually looking for...

I guess Miyamoto didn't look hard enough? Whatever, he has his own things to worry about and he is a paid employee so it is what it is. PR.

It won't stop me from buying games that interest me which include Nintendo Wii U and 3DS titles.

#4 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26246 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

Okay.

#5 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27930 posts) -

Yeah, I find it funny how you dislike Miyamoto for sounding like a douche here and yet, reading every one of your posts, some people can easily say that about you.

#6 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11990 posts) -

I don't think he meant that as some kind of arrogant remark. He's just describing what kind of games he and Nintendo are interested in making.

#7 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (984 posts) -

You're trying too hard. If people actually read his quote, its easy to see whats he's saying. There is no shade, just a little PR which ( DUH) they're suppose to do.

#8 Posted by mems_1224 (48414 posts) -

Its not arrogance when its true.

#9 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

Cry me a river, Gue.

#10 Edited by remiks00 (2464 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I get bored of shooters and violence, so I agree it's nice to see other things...but I also agree if you saw E3 there was plenty of Non shooters there displayed like The Witness, No Man's Sky, Little Big Planet 3, Grim Fandango, Civilization Beyond Earth, Valiant Hearts, a bunch of racers, etc. Those are what I'm usually looking for...

I guess Miyamoto didn't look hard enough? Whatever, he has his own things to worry about and he is a paid employee so it is what it is. PR.

It won't stop me from buying games that interest me which include Nintendo Wii U and 3DS titles.

Bingo.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (61012 posts) -

Alright.

#13 Edited by Alcapello (1309 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Its not arrogance when its true.

Really?

#14 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9885 posts) -

miyamoto is representing his company and trying to paint his company in the best light. Besides, Nintendo did have the best E3. However the bad joke about e3 is that it doesn't matter at all. Nintendo has 'won' many e3s but has laid in egg in many of those years. They released the 3DS and Wiiu consecutively which was epic for them but those consoles limped out of the gate

#15 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2460 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: lol

#16 Posted by GreySeal9 (25049 posts) -

TC: You'll probably get DocSanchez and Speak_Low to shed some tears about this, but as you see, nobody else really cares.

#17 Edited by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Nintendo were pretty much the only ones to show any games that actually looked interesting and fun.

#18 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

while Shu is being a gentleman now we have Miyamoto acting like a douche claiming that E3 was all shooters and that Nintendo were the only ones to actually show variety.

irrelevant because they're in last place which means no one is buying.

#19 Posted by melonfarmerz (1282 posts) -

Ok.

#20 Edited by foxhound_fox (90605 posts) -

Other than what Nintendo displayed, most of the E3 lineup was just violent, run-of-the-mill shooter-type games. Almost nothing got me excited beyond Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World and Far Cry 4 (mostly for the scenery and exploration, not the shooting).

#21 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

Its not arrogance but I don't think it is something to be proud of either since it was a generalized statement overshadowing the fact that not all the games are bloody shooters. If I remember correctly other staff from Nintendo have said this before. It comes up quite often from Nintendo staff and it is their own way to justify their presence in the game industry.

#23 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11623 posts) -

Definitely a silly comment from him and does come off as arrogant, but its kind of silly to say Miyamoto = Nintendo. I'd be more logical to say that if there were a bunch of higher ups at Nintendo or even just dev teams spouting nonsense like that.

#24 Posted by LordQuorthon (5388 posts) -

MISTER MIYAMOTO (AKA WII MUSIC MAN) REFUSES TO BOW BEFORE OUR BELOVED SONY OVERLORDS. WE MUST MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF HIM!

#25 Posted by PsychoLemons (2361 posts) -

K.

#27 Edited by super600 (31039 posts) -

Miyamoto says most.He did not use the word all at all. He probably played most of the games that were playable at E3.He did not exempt ninteddo from this either.

#28 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27930 posts) -

@chronoschris said:

One of the things I hate bout Nintendo.. One little success and their ego goes out of whack and they think they know everything.

And Sony is that much better?

#30 Posted by Krelian-co (12706 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

Okay.

#31 Posted by Kenny789 (10273 posts) -

So......Nintendo is doomed?

#32 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5136 posts) -

He might be generalising a bit, but maybe there's truth there since it seems to have hit a nerve. So what it's the nature of the platforms identity not necessarily an insult.

And Sony can get off Nintendo's nuts with that patronising BS with how they're 'saying nice things'. Only because they don't see them as a threat right now, otherwise they wouldn't think twice about burying them. So don't give me that gentleman crap.

#33 Posted by MirkoS77 (8192 posts) -

Nintendo is arrogant. More at 11.

#34 Posted by Cloud_imperium (5863 posts) -

True . Apart from multiplatforms and few PC centric games , most of exclusive games on their competitors' consoles were indeed some sort of shooters .

#35 Edited by trugs26 (5853 posts) -

You need to be careful with Japanese/English translations. You get the jist of his point, there are a lot of mature style games being marketed. He has a point, Nintendo do cater to a family audience, something a lot of companies don't do at E3. Don't over-analyse and give your own bullshit spin on something that should be interpreted at a higher level.

This kind of re-interpretation is the true arrogance here.

#37 Edited by m_machine024 (15130 posts) -

He did not say all of them. He said the majority or most, which is true. You've seen the conferences. You know he's right. Stop grasping at straws.

But why am I even responding? TC probably already abandon his own thread once again.... U__U

#38 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

So Nintendo is criticizing third party developers, which is funny considering they are all moving away from Nintendo.

Kinda like saying 'that game was shit anyway' when it does not come to your system, hilarious.

#39 Posted by Bigboi500 (31016 posts) -

lolcows.

#40 Posted by KungfuKitten (21401 posts) -
@m_machine024 said:

He did not say all of them. He said the majority or most, which is true. You've seen the conferences. You know he's right. Stop grasping at straws.

But am I even responding? TC probably already abandon his own thread once again.... U__U

Yep. Even the Nintendo-hating media mentioned on several occasions that Nintendo's E3 Direct stuck out from the rest because the rest was very gloomy.

#41 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9748 posts) -

He said the majority of games shown were of that type, and he's right.

#42 Posted by intotheminx (869 posts) -

It can't be arrogance when it's true.Every game I see these days are shooters and such.

#43 Edited by drummerdave9099 (870 posts) -

I can't wait to read the same Speak Low paragraph about Nintendo he types in every topic on this forum

#44 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11387 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

Yeah I don't see how it's arrogant to make an accurate statement.

#45 Edited by Bigboi500 (31016 posts) -

@22Toothpicks said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

Yeah I don't see how it's arrogant to make an accurate statement.

Nintendo can do no right with certain fanboys, no matter what they do or don't do. If they're different, they're wrong. If they're similar, they're copying. If they lead in sales, it doesn't count because just because. If they are last in sales, it's because they're no good.

#46 Posted by Heirren (18809 posts) -

He is simply saying that for the most part the majority of games follow a popular trend for the sake of hopefully banking some easy money.

#47 Edited by AzatiS (8012 posts) -

@Gue1: My opinion always have been the same with Nintendo since N64.

If you are not that much into Nintendo franchises ... Wii U is a crap of a console.

If you are not wealthy enough to own 2 or more systems ... Wii U again is a crap of a console to own.

Missing all those fantastic multiplatforms for 3-4 worth playing Nintendo great first party exclusives... come on now ... you need to be a really huge fan of Nintendo in order to go for it or having alot of $$ to waste. Theres no other reason to own a Wii U in my opinion. If i had to choose over 4-5 of the best Nintendo exclusives or 30 of the best multiplatforms over 3-4 years ( aside the exclusives of other consoles ) ...the choice is sooooo easy... sooo obvious.

So , i dont get why sheeps getting super hyped , talking about how Nintendo won E3 , how great MK or Smash are ( which are the same games or even worse than older installments if you ask me ) .... then theyll end up with a PS4/X1 in 2-3 years from now , if they havent already , simply because Nintendo will dump Wii U in the same fashion like Wiis and in the meantime sheeps will be losing all major AAA multis thru the years....

Yeah .. thats Nintendo for you... Not for me , a rent of 2-3 titles im interested and thats it.

#48 Posted by DocSanchez (2269 posts) -

@GreySeal9: If I want to leave my opinion I will. I don't need you pre empting it. Whoever you are.

#49 Edited by DocSanchez (2269 posts) -

So I'll just leave this here. As you can see, it's all about common misconceptions which desperate people cling on to. It's true that as a proportion of the whole, Nintendo showed far less shooters than the other two who were broadly similar. But as usual, the main point has been missed spectacularly in an attempt to make a silly point and "win" E3 with a bunch of platformers featuring decades old characters. I'll compare them with Sony although I couldv'e just as easily chosen Microsoft.

Sony on it's own had 42 games on show. Half of which are shooters. Want to do the maths? That means 21 games they showed were not shooters. Not including ANY 3rd party multiplats others were showing for their system they did not have on show, the things Nintendo doesn't get near. So to recap, 21 not shooters.

Nintendo had 12 games showed. 12, to save their system. Three quarters were not shooters. Or, 9 in total.

So Nintendo showed 9 non-shooters and Sony showed over double the amount, 21. They just had a fuckton more games to show, a lot of which were shooters because like platforming was the last time Nintendo was cutting edge, it happens to be the most popular genre.

Lazy thinking from the usual suspects.

#50 Posted by clone01 (25245 posts) -

You need a hobby, dude. Might I suggest gaming?