Nintendo won't discount digital releases in the future

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@Bread_or_Decide: TLOU released in 2013. By mid 2014 you could find it at a discounted price. Especially true as soon as the PS4 version become a "thing".

But it never hit the sweet $20 price until this year on the PS3. (Trust me I watched that price like a hawk.) Sony's biggest game wasn't exactly in a rush to get price dropped, that's my point.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: True, but it did drop and that's the point. For example, 3D World is still $60. It's not that it's a bad game (quite the contrary), but still $60 when the game is nearing it's 2 year anniversary? C'mon Ninty. Let poor people buy your stuff too!

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Bread_or_Decide

@Desmonic said:

@Bread_or_Decide: True, but it did drop and that's the point. For example, 3D World is still $60. It's not that it's a bad game (quite the contrary), but still $60 when the game is nearing it's 2 year anniversary? C'mon Ninty. Let poor people buy your stuff too!

Trust me, I'm on the side of the poor people. I almost never pay full price for games. Most of what I play is gifted to me on christmas and birthdays and the rest are heavily discounted titles. I'll probably join gen 8 when all the current games are $20.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I feel sorry for anyone who has invested in Nintendo products.

They seem to be more anti-consumer than Microsoft at this point, which is shocking.

Why? Their games always keep their resale value years after.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Here comes the useless and pointless vitriol.

Nintendo never marks down the prices of their games. If you've been living on planet Earth you would have realized this by now. But whatever just pile on the hate for hates sake. It's the thing to do now.

So doing something that's greedy and anti-consumer should be tolerated without criticism if they've done it for a long time?

Wonder how that theory applies to other wrongs committed throughout history...

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@Desmonic: All failures...just like Xbox live, PSN, Steam OS, and all other online infrastructures. The internet is a fad, it will never last you fool.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Meh, I don't care. They have nothing I want digitally aside from a few select VC games, and well… why pay money for roms? That makes no sense. Not to mention their archaic system of tying purchases to a console. Nintendo is currently irrelevant in every way in the console space.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Doing something weird for a long time doesn't make it not weird. And this "premium" price they want users to pay is one of the many reasons the regular consumer seem to ignore them in favour of MS or Sony. It's not that they don't have great software, they always do. There is more to it than just that though. Nintendo is taking too long to realize that for whatever reason.

It's a wild concept to people. Apparently if they do something shitty for a long enough time, said shitty thing ceases to be shitty. Slave logic bro.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Desmonic said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Doing something weird for a long time doesn't make it not weird. And this "premium" price they want users to pay is one of the many reasons the regular consumer seem to ignore them in favour of MS or Sony. It's not that they don't have great software, they always do. There is more to it than just that though. Nintendo is taking too long to realize that for whatever reason.

It's a wild concept to people. Apparently if they do something shitty for a long enough time, said shitty thing ceases to be shitty. Slave logic bro.

You'd be surprised how many people think this way in-real life.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@santoron said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Here comes the useless and pointless vitriol.

Nintendo never marks down the prices of their games. If you've been living on planet Earth you would have realized this by now. But whatever just pile on the hate for hates sake. It's the thing to do now.

So doing something that's greedy and anti-consumer should be tolerated without criticism if they've done it for a long time?

Wonder how that theory applies to other wrongs committed throughout history...

Pricing your product to meet the demand is anti consumer? Umm okay.

Nintendo games = high demand.

So price = stay the same.

It doesn't get more simple than that. I'm sorry they're not giving you free games I guess that would be pro-consumer, huh?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Nobody wants to reduce their price. Just sometimes company's are forced to.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Bread_or_Decide

@jg4xchamp said:
@Desmonic said:

I love how it's labeled as "doing something weird."

Because pricing your product to meet demand is now "something weird."

Remember when the price of the Wii didn't drop for YEARS and people kept whining and crying about it? Well when a product sells and is meeting demand there's no need to drop the price. Am I really explaining simple economics to you people now? Jesus H. Christ.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

All companies do this, they are trying to help physical copies out.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide

@wiiboxstation said:

Nobody wants to reduce their price. Just sometimes company's are forced to.

No, it's greedy and evil and it makes them slaver's and nazis.

I'm an entitled gamer. Give it to me for free or else I'll cry about it some more.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide:

For the record I used "weird" as an abstract term for an abstract example.

Also Wii was cheap as hell from day 1, especially by comparison. Not really the same thing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@Buckhannah said:

Meh, I don't care. They have nothing I want digitally

It's the future, publishers are building a foundation to screw the utter shit out of people. They want you not to care, just as people didn't care about DLC, preorder incentives and the buzz line "it's only", when introducing microtransactions to a $60 game.

Gaming is going to shit, we must save it.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Bread_or_Decide

@Desmonic said:

@Bread_or_Decide:

For the record I used "weird" as an abstract term for an abstract example.

Also Wii was cheap as hell from day 1, especially by comparison. Not really the same thing.

Yeah but gamers didn't think it was even worth the $250 they charged for it.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Buckhannah said:

Meh, I don't care. They have nothing I want digitally

It's the future, publishers are building a foundation to screw the utter shit out of people. They want you not to care, just as people didn't care about DLC, preorder incentives and the buzz line "it's only", when introducing microtransactions to a $60 game.

Gaming is going to shit, we must save it.

But it's Nintendo doing it. I don't give two shits what Nintendo does in the console space right now.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

#fireiwata #firereggie #savenintendo

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jg4xchamp
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I love how it's labeled as "doing something weird."

Because pricing your product to meet demand is now "something weird."

Remember when the price of the Wii didn't drop for YEARS and people kept whining and crying about it? Well when a product sells and is meeting demand there's no need to drop the price. Am I really explaining simple economics to you people now? Jesus H. Christ.

Did I call it weird? no, I said it was shitty that Nintendo arbitrarily keeps their prices hiked up. It's not a demand thing, maybe during the DS/Wii era when their games had absurd legs, but most of the time it's simple: Their consoles don't have enough competition from other games so they can get away with leaving the prices that high even when the sales do taper off.

The other machines get new content frequently. Thus it's a requirement.

No one here knocked their business hustle, but just because you understand it doesn't mean you can't call it a shitty move, because I have no investment in that company. I'm speaking purely as a consumer, and them not making more of an effort to reduce prices digitally is lame, because their direct competitors do that. It's not a wild concept.

Shitty DLC makes a shit ton of money. Should a publisher stop doing it from a business standpoing? No, but does that stop anyone from pointing out that it's pretty shitty? Also no. This would be no different in that regard.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Wild_man_22 said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@Desmonic said:

You'd be surprised how many people think this way in-real life.

Considering the homophobes we have on this forum or you'll see on facebook/twitter,......that are my fucking age so they went to school in an era where its taught that being intolerant makes you an asshole, and they still came out hateful? Nah, I'm not surprised.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Are Nintendo's suppose to say this:

"if you don't purchase our software in the first 4 months it will be reduced for you".

Newsflash gaming companies want to make money.

Ubisoft recently said their aim is to make $200 per game.

Besides the Wii U's hard drive is so small nobody can download games anyway. I struggle making space just for demos and updates.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#73 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This isn't really anything new.

Nintendo hasn't priced down the majority of their titles on the eShop since day one.

This doesn't mean we won't get Sales that happen from time to time, but don't expect New Super Mario Bros, Splatoon, or Mario Kart 8 and the like to be $20 on there in the future.

Heck Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time are like $40 on there still.

Though I hope this actually means the Digital Deluxe Program is coming back, that would actually help out in sales.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

The great thing about Nintendo games is that they tend to keep their value.

Gamestop is still offering $35 or so for Skyward Sword.

Although sometimes I do wish they would drop the price on some o their games (Tropical Freeze Im looking at you).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@gamefan67: Its on sale for $40 at Amazon right now.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: What's sad is that Ocarina of Time on the eShop is actually the best deal you'll find on it. Physical copies go for about $50. And Star Fox 64 is $68.99 on Amazon right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo keeps the msrp the same. Retailers discount them all the time. I just saw Toad Treasure Tracker for $32, down from $39. The Last of Us on PS4 was used as an example in this thread--that game still has a $49.99 msrp. The difference is that retailers buy so much they don't know wtf to do with the wasted shelf/warehouse space so they discount it heavily from time to time. Nintendo games tend to have a healthy supply/demand over a very extended period of time. As he said, they believe in the quality of their product--a game like Mario Kart DS was $34.99(I believe) from the time it came out until just about the time the DS started being phased out, and it would continue to sell.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:
@ten_pints said:

I feel sorry for anyone who has invested in Nintendo products.

They seem to be more anti-consumer than Microsoft at this point, which is shocking.

Why? Their games always keep their resale value years after.

Oh I didn't know you could resell a digital versions, in that case no problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@ten_pints: You said Nintendo products not digital Nintendo products. But yes, Digital Nintendo products have nice value also, the games on Wii U eShop can be played on the Gamepad without your TV, this creates new value to an old game that you might already have. I bought a game on Wii U eShop that i had previously bought on Wii eShop cause i wanted to play it without the TV and enjoy it on my Gamepad.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:

-Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has discussed the company's policy of not discounting digital content and discussed plans to increase the value of these full-price digital releases in the future.

-One of the commonly cited benefits of distributing content digitally is that it allows savings to be passed on to consumers. Nintendo, however, rarely makes the necessary discounts to deliver this to its players.

-"Some companies price [downloads] cheaper due to there being no used sales or store price reductions," he continued. "We stress the value of Nintendo software, so we price the same."

Source

Seems very anti-consumer not to pass the savings of digital onto consumers, especially when the Wii U lacks a decent account system which means all your games are tied to your console. Just another example of Nintendo being ass-backwards, stuck in the past, and anti-consumer.

Pretty shitty, then again, if you own multiple Wii Us you already can't access your Digital content between the two machines. 3DS as well.

No reason to buy digital with Nintendo, and this stupid approach where they save money (no printing physical, no disc, no middle royalties) and keep the money is just greedy.

I only buy Physical with Nintendo, they simply don't know what they are doing with the internet. Hell, the base Wii U unit is a tiny 32GB (there is even a horrible 8GB version) and they want CONSUMERS to buy a larger HDD so the consumers can have the privilege of buying their overpriced digital games. I'll take the printed on disc, resellable, comes with a case Nintendo games, thank you very much.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Couldn`t give a **** about digital. Digital is for the birds.

Nintendo aren't known to reduce prices on their top tier games. I`m not shocked.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#82  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Of course they won't, ever decision at that company must happen with unanimous board approval, trying to maintain a flexible digital marketlplace would be waaay too much work for their senior staff.

This is why the NX is fucked.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I would trust some "fans" out there would understand why such a statement would cause me to grow more aggravated at Iwata, but alas, it is always easier to blame the consumer in such circumstances.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#84 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I would trust some "fans" out there would understand why such a statement would cause me to grow more aggravated at Iwata, but alas, it is always easier to blame the consumer in such circumstances.

Well, gee. Mirko. Since you like calling anybody who buys newer Nintendo products "morons", why don't you start a revolution?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MirkoS77

@nintendoboy16 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Well, gee. Mirko. Since you like calling anybody who buys newer Nintendo products "morons", why don't you start a revolution?

Well, gee, Nintendoboy. Since you like to essentially blame all of Nintendo's failings at the feet of the stupidity of everyone who engages in this industry as a whole, why don't you? Of course, that'd require growing a pair and addressing them head on and not snidely insinuating posts their way in replies to others.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@jg4xchamp: I was surprised by that and still am!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

@gamefan67 said:

The great thing about Nintendo games is that they tend to keep their value.

Gamestop is still offering $35 or so for Skyward Sword.

Although sometimes I do wish they would drop the price on some o their games (Tropical Freeze Im looking at you).

Dude, TF is awesome and totally worth its price. Try to find it used or something, cause if you like DK, you need that game.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I don't know why this is a shocker. Nobody remembers the late 80s where Nintendo had a policy with all retailers to never reduce the price of their consoles or games in retail stores? They had to get slapped with antitrust lawsuits to put a stop to that.

Loading Video...

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Another shitty, anti gamer move from Nintendo. Selling games full price is perfectly normal of course, but refusing to EVER drop those prices just spits in the faces of poorer gamers who (for almost every other series and developer) can wait a couple years and pick up dirt cheap classics in sales.

Skyrim Complete could be had for less than €10 on Steam, the GOTY quality titles like Batman and Portal for €3 or €4, while Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing Board Game are going to be €50 forever? And you'll lose them if your console breaks? And people still pretend to be surprised the WiiU is an utter failure?

All the talk about the NX was about hardware and such, but a good first step might be for Nintendo to stop kicking gamers in the face with such hostile pricing and policies. The Ninty fanboys defend it (as usual) but most gamers clearly aren't bothered dealing with it.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#91 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Who gives discounts on digital titles?

Everyone except Nintendo.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@locopatho said:

Another shitty, anti gamer move from Nintendo. Selling games full price is perfectly normal of course, but refusing to EVER drop those prices just spits in the faces of poorer gamers who (for almost every other series and developer) can wait a couple years and pick up dirt cheap classics in sales.

Skyrim Complete could be had for less than €10 on Steam, the GOTY quality titles like Batman and Portal for €3 or €4, while Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing Board Game are going to be €50 forever? And you'll lose them if your console breaks? And people still pretend to be surprised the WiiU is an utter failure?

All the talk about the NX was about hardware and such, but a good first step might be for Nintendo to stop kicking gamers in the face with such hostile pricing and policies. The Ninty fanboys defend it (as usual) but most gamers clearly aren't bothered dealing with it.

When the game stops selling, the price drops. If people would trade their Nintendo games in like they do games made by other companies, the price of new games would drop. Every company that can sell games at full price does so. Companies that lower the price aren't doing it to support gamers. They are lowering the price because they maximize profit at that lower price point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@PurpleMan5000: Me trade my Nintendo games in? No sir, i rather die. I worked way too hard to get my Nintendo games to just let them go. I understand some trade in games they dont like, but i love bout all my games i buy, i just cant let them go. I dont even like letting friends borrow my games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 PurpleMan5000

@mesome713 said:

@PurpleMan5000: Me trade my Nintendo games in? No sir, i rather i die.

I don't trade them in, either, but that is why the prices stay high. You can play a lot of Nintendo games for free if you buy physical copies and put them up on ebay, though. The games you lose money on are offset by games you make money on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@PurpleMan5000: Very true, a bunch of my Nintendo games are worth double what i paid. And if i count inflation, they are bout all worth more then i paid.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

When the game stops selling, the price drops.

Lol, stop lying fanboy. Their games stay at FULL price, then disappear. You can find second hand copies for a bit cheaper but the new copies? Never go down, unless they are shit like Other M. I was seeing 50 euro Gamecube games long after there were 5 euro X360 titles.

Then Nintendo bitch about certain games not selling and almost never make interesting and different games again.

As for companies wanting profit, LOLDUH. Everyone starts out at full price. But EVERYONE else discounts. Literally everyone. The only possible exception I can think of is COD, but even that gets cheaper on STEAM sales. Nintendo still ask full price for 2d platformer rehashes when Steam is selling (literally) 20 new 2D platfomers for the same price.

Again, people pretend to be surprised when most gamers reject Nintendo? Lol.

I wish I could be surprised at Nintendo fanboys defending the horrible shit Nintendo do to them. But nothing surpirrses me about them any more. Enjoy spending more on Mario Tennis then other gamers will spend on 10 GOTY quality games, I guess.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 PurpleMan5000

@locopatho: I won't be buying Mario Tennis at all. I'll be getting Xenoblade Chronicles X for $60, and if I don't like it, I can sell it for $60 or more a few months later.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MirkoS77
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@locopatho said:

When the game stops selling, the price drops. If people would trade their Nintendo games in like they do games made by other companies, the price of new games would drop. Every company that can sell games at full price does so. Companies that lower the price aren't doing it to support gamers. They are lowering the price because they maximize profit at that lower price point.

"Some companies price [downloads] cheaper due to there being no used sales or store price reductions," he continued. "We stress the value of Nintendo software, so we price the same."

I'm not sure of the correlation he's trying to make between physical discounts and digital ones here, usually new games remain full-priced on PSN, Live, and Steam for a good while alongside their physical equivalents, which also don't discount for a while. I've seen games on Steam 25%-50% off while in-store remains 100% MSRP.

Many of Nintendo's games' sales have obviously slowed (otherwise they wouldn't be having sales on the e-shop). Value is not some objective metric determined by the seller; it can be set by the seller but ultimately something is only worth as much as what someone else is willing to pay for it. I'm sure Nintendo brings in more money initially by keeping prices so high by fewer buyers who agree with that value, the question is whether Nintendo would ultimately be bringing in more $$$ in the long-run for those many more buyers that agree with a lower price. Iwata could very well be miscalculating in his judgement of how consumers view the value of Nintendo's wares.