Nintendo Wii U launch game sales 50 percent lower than those of Gamecube, Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nekrothing
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

Software sales for the Wii U remained well behind launch levels for the original Wii and Gamecube in December, said Creutz in a research note to investors, Totals for the November-December period were -43 percent lower than software sales for the Wii [during the same launch period] and -50 percent lower than those for the Gamecube.

source

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
TC, add something to the discussion, don't just copy paste articles. Anyway, didn't Smash Bros come out one month after GCN launch? I think that would explain it somewhat, though Wii U did have Mario at launch but it's like the 3rd 2D Mario game in the same amount of years.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

What about other months? Kinda sucks that it was a holiday month, but I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from this, for the moment.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nekrothing

Kinda sucks that it was a holiday month

lundy86_4

I agree, I think it's sad that game sales were worse than the Wii and Gamecube considering the Holiday's were last month. Poor console sales, poor game sales, devs pulling out from the Wii U due to the weak hardware. It's not looking good for Ninten'doh, is it?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lundy86_4

I agree, I think it's sad that game sales were worse than the Wii and Gamecube considering the Holiday's were last month. Poor console sales, poor game sales, devs pulling out from the Wii U due to the weak hardware. It's not looking good for Ninten'doh, is it?

nekrothing

Way to remove the rest of my post.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nekrothing

[QUOTE="nekrothing"]

lundy86_4

What? Am I wrong?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="nekrothing"]

nekrothing

What? Am I wrong?

Not really arguing here. Maybe don't edit out my post, though....

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Probably a few granny's / kids tricked into buying it with the Wii brand. You know, those casual games who maybe buy 1 game a year. Not surprising software sales are complete crap.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Yet the Wii U has made the most profit out of any Nintendo launch console ever.... On top of that, the GC had two major killer apps, Metroid and Smash Bros. The Wii had a new freakin Zelda game with an attach rate of 2:1 and of course Wii Sports....

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Gamecube had Smash Bros, Wii had Twilight Princess. What did Wii U have? A bunch of last gen ports, a zombie survival horror game, some mini game collections, and another 2D Mario game; none of which can sell a system like either of the mentioned games for Nintendo's previous console launches. Doesn't surprise me, really.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Yet the Wii U has made the most profit out of any Nintendo launch console ever.... On top of that, the GC had two major killer apps, Metroid and Smash Bros. The Wii had a new freakin Zelda game with an attach rate of 2:1 and of course Wii Sports....

mexicangordo
Whole thread made redundant in one post. Congratulations for using common sense.... cookies for you.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

mexicangordo
Im curious, got a link to back that up? ps Wii sports was a free pack-in
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

TBH I want Wii U to crash and burn so Nintendo will finally stop making crappy consoles and start looking at 3rd party as a viable option.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

The Wii U has like 2 exclusive games with one of them getting a bit too common place for my liking (NSMB), and a bunch of ports that have been on other systems for a good while. Give it time. If when the Wii U killer apps start rolling out, and the hardware/software sales still suck, then you can start proclaiming doom and gloom.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nekrothing

TBH I want Wii U to crash and burn so Nintendo will finally stop making crappy consoles and start looking at 3rd party as a viable option.

XVision84

Don't worry, it looks like your wish will come true. Poor console sales, poor game sales, poor marketing, and devs are pulling out of the Wii U market due to the weak hardware. It isn't looking good for Nintendo.