Nintendo: We Won't Change Our Marketing Budget

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

In regard to marketing expenses, at this point we do not plan on any particularly significant changes to the current forecast. However, there are probably many who look at the current first half-year financial results and feel that marketing expenses are increasing. In fact, there is a reason for this. Our financial results are all converted into yen. With the recent depreciation of the yen, marketing expenses spent in the overseas markets, when converted to yen, have increased. Please understand that the depreciated yen adds to sales while it also adds to expenses such as foreign currency marketing expenses when converted to yen. Given the current management environment, funds should naturally be used intelligently, so in that sense, we do not particularly foresee a significant deviation in marketing expenses at this point.

So in other words, you will continue to not market the Wii U at all, even when it needs it so badly. GG Nintendo.

SOURCE

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

well, its their funeral.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

So, they want the console to fail?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MFDOOM1983 said:

So, they want the console to fail?

It certainly feels like an almost deliberate sabotage at this point

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Anyone else get the feeling that Nintendo is just letting it die on purpose? Like they're leaving it out on the market just long enough for the games that are already in the pipeline to come out and then they'll pull the plug?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

That's not going to work well for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shinobishyguy said:

Anyone else get the feeling that Nintendo is just letting it die on purpose? Like they're leaving it out on the market just long enough for the games that are already in the pipeline to come out and then they'll pull the plug?

That's what I've been thinking. Of course, that would beg the question as to why they released it in the first place, but maybe it had been their plan to go with the Wii U for the entire generation right up until they realized how much of a gap there would be between the projected next gen and Wii U.

Since R&D of a new console that would be competitive there would take a while, and since the Wii was dead and they needed something, they probably just released it, but plan to support it minimally.

I dunno, I wanna know why it has been all but left for dead by them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Not sure I believe that considering the last few Wii U commercials had Wayne Brady in it. He can't have been that cheap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

Not sure I believe that considering the last few Wii U commercials had Wayne Brady in it. He can't have been that cheap.

Their overall marketing budget remained static; I'm assuming they just started to use it more effectively.

I don't know, but they'd need to market the console a lot more than now if they want it to have any chance, in the long and short run.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shinobishyguy

@charizard1605: I really think it wasn't needed. The 3ds is basically acting like their safety net at this point; they can just fall back on it if the wii u tanks.

The real question is if it's viable for them to come out with another console 2 or 3 years from now that would be on par with ps4 and xbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shinobishyguy said:

@charizard1605: I really think it wasn't needed. The 3ds is basically acting like their safety net at this point; they can just fall back on it if the wii u tanks.

The real question is if it's viable for them to come out with another console 2 or 3 years from now that would be on par with ps4 and xbone

If they designed it like they designed Gamecube, a console that exceeds PS4 and Xbox One appreciably while also being cheap enough is not out of the question in, say, late 2016. This would give the Wii U a four year life cycle.

Of course, I begin to fear that the Wii U might end up becoming Nintendo's Saturn and damage the brand's long term viability.

Also, of course the Wii U was needed- more profits are always a good thing, and surely Nintendo expected it to sell. It didn't, but they wanted it to.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

RIP.......WiiU.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Are those really Commercials? They look more like Internet Videos than anything. Then again I don't watch too much TV.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shinobishyguy

@charizard1605: nintendos brand as a whole is alright. The wii brand on the other hand has just about lost all steam in the public eye

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Are those really Commercials? They look more like Internet Videos than anything. Then again I don't watch too much TV.

Well, they are certainly some sort of advertisement considering they are short videos being uploaded on Nintendo's channel on YT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shinobishyguy said:

@charizard1605: nintendos brand as a whole is alright. The wii brand on the other hand has just about lost all steam in the public eye

No, Nintendo's brand is not all right. Any person would be extremely cautious of buying the next Nintendo console after the disaster that the Wii U has been (and hell, even the Wii was for most people where it was reduced to being just a glorified dust collector).

If Nintendo announced a new console that was a definite 'next gen' step from the PS4 and Xbox One in 2016 and released it in 2017 for, say, $300, I would not know if I wanted to spend money on it right then and there, given that: a) I wouldn't know about the third party support; b) I wouldn't know about continued first party support; c) I wouldn't know about the console's long term viability.

The brand has definitely taken a beating.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

They need marketing now more than ever. Wii didn't need so many "Wii would like to play" commercials to sell itself, but the Wii U NEEDS that kind of stuff.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

No, Nintendo's brand is not all right. Any person would be extremely cautious of buying the next Nintendo console after the disaster that the Wii U has been (and hell, even the Wii was for most people where it was reduced to being just a glorified dust collector).

If Nintendo announced a new console that was a definite 'next gen' step from the PS4 and Xbox One in 2016 and released it in 2017 for, say, $300, I would not know if I wanted to spend money on it right then and there, given that: a) I wouldn't know about the third party support; b) I wouldn't know about continued first party support; c) I wouldn't know about the console's long term viability.

You can say that again.

No one takes a Nintendo System seriously anymore. If I was to mention a game that was on a Nintendo system to my friends and it wasn't Pokemon, Zelda, or Mario, they would go "Oh." and just brush it off and go talk about something they did on Halo or the Next Xbox.

Nintendo hardly has a brand standing here in the states.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

You can say that again.

No one takes a Nintendo System seriously anymore. If I was to mention a game that was on a Nintendo system to my friends and it wasn't Pokemon, Zelda, or Mario, they would go "Oh." and just brush it off and go talk about something they did on Halo or the Next Xbox.

Don't forget Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

But yes, outside of those five games, Nintendo needs a desperate, complete reinvention, ala Sega with the Dreamcast. Except they need to be successful with it.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Stubborn to a fault.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605 said:

But yes, outside of those five games, Nintendo needs a desperate, complete reinvention, ala Sega with the Dreamcast. Except they need to be successful with it.

Man, I only hear about Dreamcast around us gamer folk. No one really remembers that system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@charizard1605 said:

Man, I only hear about Dreamcast around us gamer folk. No one really remembers that system.

Which is why I said they need to be successful with it, unlike Sega :P

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

You can say that again.

I think you meant 'home console' , because the 3DS is most definitely taken seriously given its runaway success.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LegatoSkyheart

@Lucianu said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

You can say that again.

I think you meant 'home console' , because the 3DS is most definitely taken seriously given its runaway success.

around my parts I mentioned Shin Megami Tensei on 3DS and my peeps went "What?"

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The Wii got so much free press and word of mouth. Aint happening again Nintendo.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

There comes a point when you gotta shit or get off the pot. The Wii-U is a failure. Mario won't save it even if it gets another 10. Gaming has changed and without strong third party support you have almost no chance of competing. The hardware, online infrastructure, and over reliance on first party won't save this system. It happens and you move on. No game in 2014 means more to the console it is coming out on than Zelda for Wii-U. Not Titanfall, Halo 5, Infamous, or the new Naughty Dog game. Zelda must, without a doubt, be one of the most amazing games ever for the Wii-U to have any chance at all of surviving past 2014. And I just don't think even if its great the system has any legs after 2014.

N needs to make a next-gen console as cheap as possible, vastly improve their online infrastructure, and get in bed with the big third party people.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lucianu
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Lucianu said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

You can say that again.

Man.. around were i live, console gaming doesn't even exist. Shit, i'd bet my life that i wouldn't find a soul in my town that knows what the hell Shin Megami Tensei even is. I wouldn't know either if i wasn't on the internet and passionate about video gaming. Definitely don't trust your entourage for a base of opinion, is all i'm saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Lucianu said:

Yes, at least on my part, the discussion is restricted only to Nintendo home consoles

@LegatoSkyheart said:

That would have happened for Shin Megami Tensei IV on any system, including something like the PS2. It's a niche series.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The Wii got so much free press and word of mouth. Aint happening again Nintendo.

Yep, the Wii U is not the viral sensation that the Wii was.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide

The Wii U's failure is what the Wii deserved. Payback is a biznitch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Eh. The Wii had tons of compelling games (even when its library did not necessarily appeal to me); the three Mario games, the two Zelda games, the Metroid games, the Kirby games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Monster Hunter, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment, Punch Out, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Goldeneye, Wario Ware, Dead Space, Resident Evil, Okami, House of the Dead, Madworld, Sonic Colors, Muramasa, Little King's Story, there was a long ass list of great Wii games.

The Wii U has... well, embarrassingly little by comparison, really.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lucianu

@charizard1605 said:

It doesn't matter how much Nintendo tries to reinvent itself, to be honest. Looking back, they've never had a trully succesful console (note: the SEGA Saturn had more 3rd party support and much more diversity than the N64) since the SNES. Their reputation is in a cesspool. The Dreamcast had a shit ton of games because SEGA was going bat shit crazy pouring unique IP after unique IP left and right.

That's not something Nintendo has ever, or will ever do. I honestly think their home consoles will forever remain on a distant third place in the mind of most people contemplating wether to buy one or not.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lucianu

@charizard1605 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Eh. The Wii had tons of compelling games (even when its library did not necessarily appeal to me); the three Mario games, the two Zelda games, the Metroid games, the Kirby games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Monster Hunter, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment, Punch Out, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Goldeneye, Wario Ware, Dead Space, Resident Evil, Okami, House of the Dead, Madworld, Sonic Colors, Muramasa, Little King's Story, there was a long ass list of great Wii games.

The Wii U has... well, embarrassingly little by comparison, really.

You forgot Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. :) They're the trinity of RPGs that are a must for anyone with a Wii.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Lucianu said:

@charizard1605 said:

It doesn't matter how much Nintendo tries to reinvent itself, to be honest. Looking back, they've never had a trully succesful console (note: the SEGA Saturn had more 3rd party support and much more diversity than the N64) since the SNES. Their reputation is in a cesspool. The Dreamcast had a shit ton of games because SEGA was going bat shit crazy pouring unique IP after unique IP left and right.

That's not something Nintendo has ever, or will ever do. I honestly think their home consoles will forever remain on a distant third place in the mind of most people contemplating wether to buy one or not.

I believe that is incorrect, and also would like to point out that the N64 had more support than the Saturn (unless you are referring only to Japanese support, in which case yes, your statement was correct).

Then there was the Gamecube, which also saw mostly every major multiplat except for GTA on it and multiple third party exclusives.

Nintendo feasibly could reinvent themselves, and yes, that would involve loads of new IPs to appeal to a new base too. The question is... will they want to do it?

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

I really really hope WiiU failed hard, I really hate Nintendo nowadays

Bad online, terrible third party support, lack of games, terrible marketing, awful name, WiiU is much more a mess than PS3 in early years

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lucianu

@charizard1605 said:

@Lucianu said:

@charizard1605 said:

I believe that is incorrect, and also would like to point out that the N64 had more support than the Saturn (unless you are referring only to Japanese support, in which case yes, your statement was correct).

Then there was the Gamecube, which also saw mostly every major multiplat except for GTA on it and multiple third party exclusives.

Nintendo feasibly could reinvent themselves, and yes, that would involve loads of new IPs to appeal to a new base too. The question is... will they want to do it?

3rd party support? The Saturn had an ocean of arcade ports from countless devs that dwarfed the number of 3rd party developers for the N64, from were i'm looking. I'd be required some time to go research in depth to be sure, so i'm not gonna deny that i may be wrong. Tho i'm pretty sure i'm not.

Man, i meant SNES status. Neither the N64 or Gamecube came close to the 3rd party support or reputation Nintendo had wen they had the SNES.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Lucianu said:

You forgot Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. :) They're the trinity of RPGs that are a must for anyone with a Wii.

Damn it, I knew I was forgetting something pretty major

@Lucianu said:

3rd party support? The Saturn had an ocean of arcade ports from countless devs that dwarfed the number of 3rd party developers for the N64, from were i'm looking. I'd be required some time to go research in depth to be sure, so i'm not gonna deny that i may be wrong. Tho i'm pretty sure i'm not.

Man, i meant SNES status. Neither the N64 or Gamecube came close to the 3rd party support or reputation Nintendo had wen they had the SNES.

I don't think Nintendo will ever be SNES status ever again (they aren't the de facto in home console video gaming), but I do hope they can be Gamecube status again, at least.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I don't get it.. Do people really want last gen consoles with the same features with some new hardware crammed in it? Regardless if you like the Wii or not, we should be grateful for one of the big producers taking a risk and doing something different..

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide

@sSubZerOo said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I don't get it.. Do people really want last gen consoles with the same features with some new hardware crammed in it? Regardless if you like the Wii or not, we should be grateful for one of the big producers taking a risk and doing something different..

How is the Wii U "doing something different?" They slapped a tablet controller onto 360 hardware and shove a zelda HD remake on to the damn thing. What exactly is so ground breaking about that?

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I think they can market all they want and it will not change where they are. More games is the best marketing tool they can use.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

How is the Wii U "doing something different?" They slapped a tablet controller onto 360 hardware and shove a zelda HD remake on to the damn thing. What exactly is so ground breaking about that?

You can play your console games on the toilet.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

You can play your console games on the toilet.

THats nothing new. I have a portable LCD screen for my GameCube. I could take that thing anywhere.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

A wise choice ... the WiiU is beyond salvation ...

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

What has happen to Nintendo:(.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Selling at a loss. You're not gonna spend a ton on marketing in their situation. Their 'competition' isn't even out yet.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

@charizard1605: I love how nintendo realizes that marketing such an awful product is pointless

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Go 3rd party nintendo, I don't want to buy another one of your weak ass systems but you do have some good IP's and developers.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#48  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

That's what I've been thinking. Of course, that would beg the question as to why they released it in the first place, but maybe it had been their plan to go with the Wii U for the entire generation right up until they realized how much of a gap there would be between the projected next gen and Wii U.

Since R&D of a new console that would be competitive there would take a while, and since the Wii was dead and they needed something, they probably just released it, but plan to support it minimally.

I dunno, I wanna know why it has been all but left for dead by them.

I really think Nintendo was hoping Sony and MS were not ready to reveal and release until 2015. They figured they'd make some money along side the 360/ps3 for a couple of years. Well they were wrong and not many want to go next gen unless its going to be in the same ballpark as PS and X1.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Fire Iwata.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points