Nintendo: We have sold 4 million Wii U's WW!

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

That's right! http://www.Nintendo.com/43434-34 (Or you can go from the front page.)

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime toldForbes the exciting news about the future of the Wii U.

"The interesting thing there is, 4 million units is a milestone when you look at today's market that includes tablets and smartphones. The competition will hit a wall in production and demand just like we did when we launched the Wii U a year ago. So the truth is to be honest that we are ahead of the game and have the advantage." Fils-Aime said. "So, in the end, it's our responsibility to show consumers how much fun you can have, because in the end, this is an entertainment business, and we think we've got stellar entertainment to make the consumer smile."

So basically the Playstation 4 and Xbox One will be having similar issues reaching that 4 million unit number. Because Phones and other mobile devices are killing console gaming.

#2 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

"We´re ahead of the game and have the advantage".

Man,Reggie is getting more delusional everyday,your system sold 4M in a whole year and the ones that came out days ago have sold more than half of that already(PS4 at 2.1M)and that´s a reason to brag being in first? lol,how the mighty have fallen,it´s pathetic.

#3 Posted by madsnakehhh (14181 posts) -

Lol, i love Nintendo, but c'mon Reggie...then again, i guess its kind of his job to say this.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (56082 posts) -

*sigh* Reggie... I understand your job is to spin, but this is just sad.

#5 Posted by hiphops_savior (7858 posts) -

@charizard1605: You know what would get him fired? Waving the white flag and killing the stock value of Nintendo.

#6 Edited by silversix_ (14083 posts) -

He calls this "stellar entertainment" lol my god

#7 Posted by FinalFighters (1398 posts) -

Glad to see Reggie is happy about its sales..Now maybe they can take some focus off the 3DS and put it toward the fucking Wii U.

#8 Posted by Fishsticklover (247 posts) -

LOL

#9 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Wow, this PR spin he is trying to put on this. "We only sold 4 million because tablets and phones are killing consoles...." yet the PS4 and Xbox One just smashed previous records...

#10 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

#11 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

It's just amazing how much Nintendo has done wrong.

Casuals or not, there's no reason the Wii U should have sold THIS poorly.

The name of the console, the design, the online infrastructure, the features (or rather the lack thereof), and choosing to not address concerns of 3rd parties....

#12 Edited by DocSanchez (1566 posts) -

Didn't you hear him? Because PS4 hasn't caught up worldwide after a week on sale with a console out for a whole year it's going to fail as bad as the wii u! Because logic!

#13 Posted by Fizzman (9869 posts) -

I see Reggie doesn't live in the real world.

#14 Edited by Gue1 (9513 posts) -

LoooooooooooooooL

#15 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

4 Million Wii U's worldwide? I'm actually kind of surprised. I wouldn't have thought it was that many.

I remember when that report was released saying only 10K units were sold in Australia and New Zealand.

#16 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@danabo said:

LMAO!!

This is all that needed to be posted.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (56082 posts) -

Didn't you hear him? Because PS4 hasn't caught up worldwide after a week on sale with a console out for a whole year it's going to fail as bad as the wii u! Because logic!

PS4 has not caught up with the Wii U yet. It will, and soon, but it has not yet.

#18 Edited by Couth_ (10016 posts) -

#19 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24923 posts) -

Reggie is just doing his Job.

What kind of PR is "Yeah we're totally doing a crap job and the System sucks."?

#20 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2525 posts) -

I know that's his job but that spin is beyond pathetic.Guess Nintendo should enjoy 1st place for as long as they can.

#21 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

I will buy a Nintendo Wii U....

When Hell freezes over.

#22 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: A good PR guy is one who can be honest while still easing concerns and raising interest in the product. Reggie is flat out lying through his teeth.

#23 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -

Selling 4 million consoles in over a year is pretty pathetic. Nintendo needs to get with the time in terms of its game console, it's handheld business is great.

#24 Posted by chocolate1325 (32463 posts) -

How many did tthe Wii sell it's first year must have been over 12 million. Come on Reggie get serious.

#25 Posted by Nuck81 (5836 posts) -

That's actually not a bad number considering there are maybe five games tops that are worth having.

I'll buy one once Mario Kart is released. Dying to play Super Mario 3D World but I can wait.

#26 Posted by Speak_Low (955 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

That's actually not a bad number considering there are maybe five games tops that are worth having.

Oh god the disease is spreading!!

#27 Edited by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

I don't see what's so controversial about what Nintendo is saying.

If you think that the ps4 and the x1 will each dwarf wiiu sales you are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Just like the wiiu the real test of the console's demand in the market will be in the months January to September. That's when the wiiu's numbers went from record breaking to dismal.

I would still bet that the wiiu will be in last place, just not by a whole lot.

#28 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2737 posts) -

Sony says they should reach 5 million ps4's by march and they have almost 3 million already last week. Reggie unless the ps4 slows down it's lights out for the wii u this gen. I get it he is just doing his spin to keep the stock prices from falling. The problem is some kid might take this as the gospel.

I remember back in the day sega said the same thing about the dreamcast. Only sega had great games of all types but the numbers were bad and so was the 3rd party support. I loved the dreamcast but it died and unless things change for the wii u it is going to fail.

#29 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

@GunSmith1_basic said:

I don't see what's so controversial about what Nintendo is saying.

If you think that the ps4 and the x1 will each dwarf wiiu sales you are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Just like the wiiu the real test of the console's demand in the market will be in the months January to September. That's when the wiiu's numbers went from record breaking to dismal.

I would still bet that the wiiu will be in last place, just not by a whole lot.

They sure do like getting involved though. Especially after console releases last month.

#30 Posted by Giancar (19050 posts) -

Reggie is only doing his job, a very hard one in this moment.

He needs to be a little more honest though.

#31 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2737 posts) -

@Giancar said:

He's a public face if he admits the truth the stocks will hit rock bottom.

#32 Posted by Chutebox (36670 posts) -

So basically the Playstation 4 and Xbox One will be having similar issues reaching that 4 million unit number. Because Phones and other mobile devices are killing console gaming.

that's a load of shit.

#33 Edited by Giancar (19050 posts) -

@Giancar said:

He's a public face if he admits the truth the stocks will hit rock bottom.

There are many examples of CEOs admitting not doing as good as the competition and announcing plans to do better.

I am not saying Reggie must give up, just a little more hones. Because 4 million in that time frame is a bad number, even lower than GC ones.

#34 Posted by farrell2k (5810 posts) -

Selling 4 million of a "next-gen" console with basically no 3rd party support that is roughly as powerful as last gen systems is pretty spectacular actually.

#35 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5147 posts) -

Sony says they should reach 5 million ps4's by march and they have almost 3 million already last week. Reggie unless the ps4 slows down it's lights out for the wii u this gen. I get it he is just doing his spin to keep the stock prices from falling. The problem is some kid might take this as the gospel.

I remember back in the day sega said the same thing about the dreamcast. Only sega had great games of all types but the numbers were bad and so was the 3rd party support. I loved the dreamcast but it died and unless things change for the wii u it is going to fail.

Sony has 2.1 million PS4s as of two days ago.

#36 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

It took them over a year to sell 4 million systems and its disliked by the majority of gamers. Meanwhile PS4 has sold over half of that much in a month and getting a lot more praise from gamers.

#37 Edited by inb4uall (5362 posts) -

F*** YeAH! TC&LHBO

#38 Posted by OhSnapitz (18113 posts) -

Selling 4 million of a "next-gen" console with basically no 3rd party support that is roughly as powerful as last gen systems is pretty spectacular actually.

..hard to argue with that.

#39 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (530 posts) -

The biggest sin of all three is giving the company a face. Its all complete bullshit characters.

Nintendo as a whole needed change for years now, but are too slow at doing anything. Its mainly because they keep on the + side of things, While the other two aren't atm.

If Nintendo is cornered, they deliver like no one else. ( You may have to go back to the SNES because thats the only time the future was real for them.)

#40 Posted by EvanTheGamer (1122 posts) -

Nintendoomed, PS4 sold half that in one month!

#41 Posted by OhSnapitz (18113 posts) -

The biggest sin of all three is giving the company a face. Its all complete bullshit characters.

Nintendo as a whole needed change for years now, but are too slow at doing anything. Its mainly because they keep on the + side of things, While the other two aren't atm.

If Nintendo is cornered, they deliver like no one else. ( You may have to go back to the SNES because thats the only time the future was real for them.)

..that's always been Nintendo's problem.. using cartridges when everyone else went to CDroms.. using split screen when everyone else went online.. using a single functioning device when everyone else used a multi-functioning device.

..and their online is still crap!

Nintendo is stuck in the past and will Never change. The best they can hope for this gen is to stay afloat longer than Sega did.

#42 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (530 posts) -

@TrappedInABox91 said:

..that's always been Nintendo's problem.. using cartridges when everyone else went to CDroms.. using split screen when everyone else went online.. using a single functioning device when everyone else used a multi-functioning device.

..and their online is still crap!

Nintendo is stuck in the past and will Never change. The best they can hope for this gen is to stay afloat longer than Sega did.

I agree. The only thing they depend on is the past to sell. Its finally catching up with them. But like I said, they're in the + and still not caring. This probably dates back to the N64. Sega was in a complete hole and still released two more systems, so that gives a fair idea about Nintendo. ATM they ARE Handheld gaming. Phones and tablets aren't slowing them down that way.

#43 Posted by sailor232 (4450 posts) -

Yeah Nintendo needs to bring in a lot of fresh blood into the company, they see things way too late, then take 2 generations to implement them.

#44 Edited by farrell2k (5810 posts) -

Nintendo is a for-profit company, just like Sony and Nintendo, so you have to consider that everything they do is to further that goal. From a financial perspective, the Xbox has not made one dime for Microsoft in over a decade. I think it's even in the hole around $3 billion. I don't know exactly what's up with the PlayStation brand, but I do know that this year was the first year in five long years that it actually turned a profit, but I am not sure whether that profit covered losses from the previous four years. Having made a lot of profit from its Wii console and currently making a lot of profit from its DS brand, what incentive does Nintendo have to emulate its competitors, considering that both of their gaming divisions are in financial trouble? From a Nintendo perspective, it seems like what their competitors are doing is not working, so they have good reason to try to be different.

#45 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6990 posts) -

Nintendoomed, PS4 sold half that in one month!

Nintendo sold 3/4 that in one month. The PS4 hasn't been out for a month yet, so I'm sure Sony will end up doing better. Microsoft is going to really struggle to move units in 2014 at $500, though.

#46 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

PS4 sold 2 million without any games?

#47 Edited by Basinboy (11060 posts) -

Reggie being Reggie

Wonder if Nintendo would be crazy enough to tap him for CEO if Iwata is forced out

#48 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (530 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

PS4 sold 2 million without any games?

Pretty much for the most part.

Just sit back and wait for the meltdowns till mid-late 2014. Some eople are still just drooling on it atm.

#49 Edited by AtariKidX (6211 posts) -

Reggie......lolololol

#50 Edited by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

somehow I don't think the ps4 and x1 will have any problems reaching 4 million.