mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Source: http://recode.net/2015/02/04/nintendo-wants-youtubers-to-pretend-its-competitors-games-dont-exist/

Nintendo’s revenue-sharing program for YouTube, already made controversial by some odd rules, is getting even thornier.

Nintendo’s YouTube Revenue-Sharing Policy Is Here — With Lots of Strings Attached

By Eric Johnson, Feb 4, 2015, 11:40 AM PST

Now, Nintendo is telling YouTubers that if they want to get paid, they may have to delete some videos from their channels completely.

An update posted to the program’s website says video makers won’t be accepted to the program at the higher revenue-share rate — 70 percent — if their channels have any videos of any games not explicitly permitted by a Nintendo whitelist.

“If you have already submitted your channel for registration and it includes video(s) that contain game titles outside of the list of supported games, please remove those videos from your channel within two weeks of the submission date,” the update reads. “If the video(s) are not removed from the channel within this time, your channel will not be registered with the program.”

That whitelist omits some big-on-YouTube titles like Nintendo’s own Super Smash Bros. series. More crucially, it means that anyone who makes videos of games made by Nintendo’s competitors — since those games are also not on the whitelist — will have to submit videos one by one and take only a 60 percent cut of the revenue.

The new rule, originally spotted by VentureBeat, brings into sharper relief the difference between Nintendo’s view of the video world and that world’s view of itself. As YouTube star Felix “PewDiePie” Kjellberg wrote on Tumblr last week, he and his personal brand of silliness are more popular than the titles he highlights.

“If I played a Nintendo game on my channel, most likely most of the views and ad revenue would come from the fact that my viewers are subscribed to me,” Kjellberg wrote. “Not necessarily because they want to watch a Nintendo game in particular.”

Still left in the air is what happens to video channels that have already built followings around a mix of Nintendo and non-Nintendo titles, or around videos of blacklisted games like Super Smash Bros. And left unknown is what sort of word-of-mouth exposure those games might miss out on if the creators of “Let’s Play” videos choose to just avoid the hassle and skip them entirely.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Welp you beat me to finally make a thread on SW for once.

Anyway, I think the greed is getting to Nintendo so much as of late and it saddens me because Nintendo was doing well with the new Super Smash Bros games as well as other recent games. It's shit like this that makes me want to lose respect for them.

They should just stop what they're doing before it gets worse but frankly, I don't see that happening and that's a damn shame. If I was a famous YouTuber that made Nintendo LPs, I'd be against this as well.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

**** Nintendo.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Sinners, I will put them in the fiery depths for this.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Nintendo lives in a vacuum. If it doesn't pertain to game design, they don't get it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Wait, I'm a bit confused here.

Is Nintendo saying that all games not made by Nintendo need to be removed for anyone submitting Nintendo videos to be approved (basically turning their channels into Nintendo only)? Or that they need to remove only Nintendo videos they've done previous without consent that are not on the white list? If it's the latter I see no problem, if it's the former Nintendo can go get fucked. If that's the case, who the hell do these people think they are, and on what grounds do they claim jurisdiction to make such a demand?

I'd love to see the NDF come out for this one if I'm understanding this correctly.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Blabadon said:

**** Nintendo.

Nintendo is love. Nintendo is life.

I'd like to post the vid but don't want to get banned.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

isnt there a thread on this already somewhere

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I applaud them for their 3DS and its exclusives, but Nintendo's policies have always been foolishly archaic and deserving of great disrespect.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Seriously Nintendo, you are one of the only major companies that still make games that are more fun to play than to watch. I have no fucking clue why you are going rabbid about this.

I mean, like if someone does Let's Play of Uncharted or God of War, Sony has legit reason to get mad cuz, you know, visual flare is all that they have, but Mario? Pokemon? Zelda? Dude, nobody plays Mario for story or scripted events.

Shiiiiiiiiit, I nearly bought Wii U just watching those Super Mario 3D Land playthroughs despite I barely had money at the time.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Is Nintendo saying that all games not made by Nintendo need to be removed for anyone submitting Nintendo videos to be approved (basically turning their channels into Nintendo only)? Or that they need to remove only Nintendo videos they've done previous without consent that are not on the white list? If it's the latter I see no problem, if it's the former Nintendo can go get fucked. If that's the case, who the hell do these people think they are, and on what grounds do they claim jurisdiction to make such a demand?

I'd love to see the NDF come out for this one if I'm understanding this correctly.

Reading the announcement carefully, it sounds like channel registration is intended to be a convenience (with a higher cut) for channels that only intend to post whitelisted games*. Otherwise, if the channel includes games that aren't a part of the program the videos have to be registered individually (with a smaller cut). Either way it takes up to 3 days for videos to be registered and they'll pay you within a month or so.

*Though, the way they phrased it, it sounds like they take a cut of the ad revenues even if you post a video that doesn't involve copyrighted material.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

You know, I've been wondering that when Nintendo enters shit like this, I really have to wonder if many (not everyone of course) in the gaming community and the games industry REALLY have much ground to stand on in mourning them SHOULD the day they become bankrupt arrive, considering they've been called dictatorial or, hell, I've seen comments that compare them to freaking organized crime bosses (again: European Mafia, Japanese Yakuza, Chinese Triad, take your pick).

I'm not saying what they're doing is right, but still...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

What are you doing Nintendo?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I sense an overwhelming amount of inappropriate Peach scks Bowser dkc videos on the horizon.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Nintendo is **** in their head confirmed.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Idiots. Ninty shareholders at work.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

That's stupid...i really hope this stuff doesn't interfer with EVO and other majors.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Nintendo is stuck in the past.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Nintendo need to dragged kicking and screaming into age of social media. They need new leadership, they are stuck in the 80's relying on Mario and grasping for total control over their IP like it means anything anymore.

Sony and Microsoft are raping them right now, to pull this crap is idiotic at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Why don't people just start their own space and do reviews and whatnot independent of YouTube?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nintendoboy16

@ten_pints said:

Nintendo need to dragged kicking and screaming into age of social media. They need new leadership, they are stuck in the 80's relying on Mario and grasping for total control over their IP like it means anything anymore.

Sony and Microsoft are raping them right now, to pull this crap is idiotic at best.

Can't really blame them on that front, considering they MADE Mario/Zelda/Metroid/DK in the first place. What should users have a share in their IP's? THAT won't spell DISASTER!

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Who cares, unless you make a living off lets plays. ( What a nice/easy living at that)

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Meh, they created the IP and all assets. They should have complete control over it.

I really don't care, I just think the whole "watching games" scene is fucking awful.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#24 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Keep talking about it and they MIGHT change it.

That Youtuber Program is in Beta after all.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

This is stupid even for Nintendo. What's the big deal? Let them play your games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77

@freakbabyblues said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Reading the announcement carefully, it sounds like channel registration is intended to be a convenience (with a higher cut) for channels that only intend to post whitelisted games*. Otherwise, if the channel includes games that aren't a part of the program the videos have to be registered individually (with a smaller cut). Either way it takes up to 3 days for videos to be registered and they'll pay you within a month or so.

*Though, the way they phrased it, it sounds like they take a cut of the ad revenues even if you post a video that doesn't involve copyrighted material.

How would that be legal? They have no right.

I don't have a problem with taking ad revenue from videos of their games even though I think it's petty, control freakish, and will ultimately hurt them in the long run more than help them. But for them to think they can stick their nose anywhere past that point again goes to show nothing but the largest degree of their arrogance and also shows the contempt they have for people. Nintendo continues to act as if they can dictate what goes on, and it's pathetic because now they're not the big boy in town. People can just tell them to **** off and laugh at them, as they will.

I'm getting to the point that I want to see Nintendo suffer more and more. Acting like this, they deserve it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MirkoS77

@nintendoboy16 said:

You know, I've been wondering that when Nintendo enters shit like this, I really have to wonder if many (not everyone of course) in the gaming community and the games industry REALLY have much ground to stand on in mourning them SHOULD the day they become bankrupt arrive, considering they've been called dictatorial or, hell, I've seen comments that compare them to freaking organized crime bosses (again: European Mafia, Japanese Yakuza, Chinese Triad, take your pick).

Nintendo doesn't deserve to be mourned if they continue to act like this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Nintendo being Nintendo... have to do their best to try and maintain this fabricated self-image as being pure as the driven snow in the eyes of the American public; can't let anybody have any control over their brands here but themselves.

Also have to make sure to continue censoring the NA releases of their games just in case a 3DS-level sprite is showing too much skin.

I still get the feeling that this perpetual nanny-state bullshit is coming directly out of Nintendo of America, too. Japan and Europe don't seem to have to put up with it to such an extent.

It's also cute watching them try to bully the fresh faced Youtubers like they've been trying to do with actual mainstream media for years and years now. Unfortunately the average Youtuber can't just tell them to go to hell quite as easily.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

How would that be legal? They have no right.

I don't have a problem with taking ad revenue from videos of their games even though I think it's petty, control freakish, and will ultimately hurt them in the long run more than help them. But for them to think they can stick their nose anywhere past that point again goes to show nothing but the largest degree of their arrogance and also shows the contempt they have for people. Nintendo continues to act as if they can dictate what goes on, and it's pathetic because now they're not the big boy in town. People can just tell them to **** off and laugh at them, as they will.

I'm getting to the point that I want to see Nintendo suffer more and more. Acting like this, they deserve it.

My best guess is that in registering your channel, you are giving them permission to monetize the channel in it's entirety (and because they're taking a cut of all your revenue, they give you a larger cut) but if the channel contains content they can't legally collect ad revenue from or if you don't want them taking cuts from unrelated, unprotected content then you have to register only the applicable videos individually for a smaller cut.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nintendoboy16

@MirkoS77 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Nintendo doesn't deserve to be mourned if they continue to act like this.

Tell that to the hypocrites who'll end up doing that anyway.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

This is some MS E3 2013 level shit lol.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mikhail

This is one of the few times I can ever recall agreeing with PewDiePie, because **** that guy. But he's right, millions of people aren't watching the videos on his channel to see Nintendo games, they're watching his channel to watch him do his thing. Nintendo may legally have a right to some of that money, but they're acting like a bunch of dicks and causing way more damage to their image than this whole thing is probably worth. Idiots.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

@mikhail said:

This is one of the few times I can ever recall agreeing with PewDiePie, because **** that guy. But he's right, millions of people aren't watching the videos on his channel to see Nintendo games, they're watching his channel to watch him do his thing. Nintendo may legally have a right to some of that money, but they're acting like a bunch of dicks and causing way more damage to their image than this whole thing is probably worth. Idiots.

Because Pewds SURELY did a lot of Nintendo related gameplay... OH WAIT!

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mikhail

@nintendoboy16 said:

@mikhail said:

Insert any game or company name here. Calm down.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nintendoboy16

@mikhail said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@mikhail said:

Insert any game or company name here. Calm down.

Telling me to calm down? Look who's the one calling them "idiots" and "dicks?"

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

looooool. I really hope I misunderstood that part about forcing to take non-Nintendo games off their channels cuz wow.

And that WiiU list is really small. lol I don't get it. What a mess. I'm sure all that trouble is not even worth it for them. Anyway, let's wait and see how things turn out. My guess is not for the better.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Who cares, unless you make a living off lets plays. ( What a nice/easy living at that)

If it's so easy, how about you do it too then? Everyone like easy money. ;)

@mikhail said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mikhail

@nintendoboy16: I see the Nintendo Defense Force has arrived! lmfao

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Nintendo sucks

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It's so typical that Nintendo is the one pulling this nonsense.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

That's stupid...i really hope this stuff doesn't interfer with EVO and other majors.

Ninty is sponsor, so I doubt it. So was APEX, and they seem to be happy with the format

Tho, they can just go fascist all of a sudden if they desire.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

This whole Nintendo program is really horribly handled,

if all Nintendo did was like "hey, you can use our stuff, but we want a small percentage of money", that would have been okay.

But all these restrictions, rules, all these ways they are trying to control and censor youtubers, it's ridiculous. Why be so stingy over this stuff?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Heirren said:

Why don't people just start their own space and do reviews and whatnot independent of YouTube?

Not a very good way to make money unless you already have a big fanbase like the normalboots guys.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think its awesome Nintendo is paying people to use their full original content. No wonder so many have flocked to sign up to the new Partner Deal. They even had to place a 72 hour waiting period cause so many are trying to join. This is good for the industry.

Also Pokemon is not entirely licensed by Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures share that deal, and some of the characters in Smash Bros are not owned by Nintendo either. Sucks, but thats life. You have to respect their creators.

Also Nintendo is still allowing clips, replays, highlights, guides, snaps, etc to be uploaded and shared for free. Just not full original content. They want to protect their product from slander and cursing and assure the 25+ years of building a fine respectable kid friendly corporation was not in vain. They have an imagine to uphold and have every right to regulate how people use their content.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

So less people can make money off of filming themselves playing Nintys games now? Oh noooo... The horror...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Lol Nintendo.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

Nintendo is stuck in the 90s..

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

They obviously don't want you to remove games that are from other publishers. I don't even get where you guys got that idea. As for the whitelist missing Smash Bros., the reason is pretty obvious, it has 3rd party characters and they probably don't have the right to make money from a video with them. Same with Hyrule Warriors that I notice is missing too.

It should also be noticed that their previous policy was that you did not get a penny. So I don't get why people are getting mad that they actually took a step in the (subjectively) right direction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Blabadon said:

**** Nintendo.

Nintendo is love. Nintendo is life.

I'd like to post the vid but don't want to get banned.

AHHHHHHHHHH the nightmares.... Its all ogre now.