Nintendo to announce Nintendo Steam @E3!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by HAZE-Unit (10447 posts) -

I was thinking about the recent announcement from Nintendo of possible mergers and I thought what if this happened this E3? it's not exactly a merger it's more of a collaborative effort.

I mean this is the fastest, easiest and strongest way for Nintendo to recover from that mess of a product called the Wii U and start competing in a huge way against Sony and Microsoft.

They license their IP and brand for Valve and it's a done deal in a matter of months they could release their console.

Nintendo could have the most powerful next-gen console supported with major 3rd party developers plus all of the best Nintendo had to offer in terms of amazing software.

I know it's not gonna happen because it's impossible for Nintendo to let go of their precious IP, plus steam machines are PCs which are prone to hacks and piracy which basically means Nintendo games playable on every PC on earth.

I don't know if it is also possible for Valve and Nintendo to come to terms of making their Steam machine more of a closed machine in terms of OS meaning it only runs custom steam OS ( Nintendo skin all over it ) when you turn the system on rather making it an app that runs from the regular PC OS or something like that, this might prevent the games from being pirated.

What do you think of the idea overall? discuss.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (42018 posts) -

Nintendo games on Steam? Nice.

#3 Edited by MonsieurX (26937 posts) -

Highly doubt that kind of deal would happen

#4 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10447 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Nintendo games on Steam? Nice.

People wouldn't have to be bothered even in the OS level side of things, friend codes, Mii verse…etc all of that would be gone and you got more natural social gaming experience.

#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (85245 posts) -

So what are you proposing exactly? A Nintendo virtual console on PC?

The whole point of Nintendo's hardware division existing (where they make all their money) is that they have exclusive IP's to release on the hardware they manufacture.

#6 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10447 posts) -

The whole point of Nintendo's hardware division existing (where they make all their money) is that they have exclusive IP's to release on the hardware they manufacture.

The huge issue with Nintendo is third party support AND hardware specs to get that support, they are losing money/appeal/everything on the Wii U because of that.

They will continue losing until they release a new system which could take at least a couple years, with what I am proposing they could release a new console at faster pace and at the same time Nintendo could have a huge library of games on day 1 plus all the 3rd party developer support they need without breaking a sweat.

#7 Posted by Basinboy (10665 posts) -

Steam isn't going to profit share with Nintendo ( and vice versa). If Nintendo wants on Valve's platform, they can license and develop like every other third party.

Nintendo either needs to double-down and take on MS, Sony, and Apple head-on or resign themselves to being a secondary device (or go third-party, of course). Of those, the financial incentive is in option 2.

#8 Posted by foxhound_fox (85245 posts) -

The huge issue with Nintendo is third party support AND hardware specs to get that support, they are losing money/appeal/everything on the Wii U because of that.

They aren't getting third party support because most third party developers don't like competing with Nintendo first party. They know it's a lost cause when a Smash Bros or Mario Kart comes out. If hardware specs mattered, the Wii U would have all the third party games already.

#9 Posted by Couth_ (9678 posts) -

If you are gonna go Steam you might as well go full third party. More audience more proffits

#10 Edited by Timstuff (26785 posts) -

This idea doesn't seem terribly likely, but now I am tempted to try building a Steam Machine inside the body of an old NES...

#11 Posted by Alcapello (294 posts) -

It could happen, with some sort of xbl-esque subscription.

#12 Edited by trugs26 (4642 posts) -

@Timstuff said:

This idea doesn't seem terribly likely, but now I am tempted to try building a Steam Machine inside the body of an old NES...

That'd be awesome. But that just gave me an idea. You could download one of the Linux distro's and have it really bare bones (maybe Arch Linux), and just run a NES emulator off it. Get the entire NES library downloaded onto the system. That'd be an awesome NES system :P

If you want you can ruin the NES authenticity of it, and replace it with a "retro" style, and boot into NES, SNES and other retro consoles.

EDIT:
Looks like someone's already done it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Nintendo-NES-PC/

I'm tempted to do this, but do it my way by building a NES OS.

#13 Edited by Speak_Low (429 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@HAZE-Unit said:

They aren't getting third party support because most third party developers don't like competing with Nintendo first party. They know it's a lost cause when a Smash Bros or Mario Kart comes out. If hardware specs mattered, the Wii U would have all the third party games already.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda don't come out that often (and MK and SSB come out once in an entire generation!)

With MK8 coming out around May 2014, you mean to tell me all of the third-parties are scared to release anything on before or after that because it will eat up their sales? Give me a break!

And SSBU and Zelda won't come out for a long time. That means third-parties are running away for the entirety of 2013-2015 because of these two games? lol

Third-parties have no problem releasing their games and "going against" best-selling Sony or MS exclusives. Madden, COD, AC and GTA come out even with the Halos and Uncharted or Last of Us games. Bethesda doesn't get scared and not release Skyrim and Dishonored just because Halo is out.

The third-parties are avoiding Wii U because the sales are terrible and the hardware is restrictive, plain and simple. Plus, Ubisoft, Activision and even EA have released games on the Wii U. If they were scared of "competing" with Nintendo games, they would have released nothing, right - because we know those Super Mario 3D World sales are oh so scary.

Third-party publishers have no problem being successful and selling their games, even with the existence of major exclusives. One could even say third-parties want to see big games like Halo, Last of Us and Uncharted because it sells systems, which increases the overall install base and makes it easier for them to see profits with their own games.

This is how things normally go when things are going well. Wii U and Nintendo aren't normal, so that's why we're not seeing the above scenario happening.

#14 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25051 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

They will continue losing until they release a new system which could take at least a couple years, with what I am proposing they could release a new console at faster pace and at the same time Nintendo could have a huge library of games on day 1 plus all the 3rd party developer support they need without breaking a sweat.

Major issue: it wouldn't be benefiting to Nintendo. It would be benefiting Valve.

#16 Edited by Zassimick (5986 posts) -

I'm sure the idea is appealing to some but it's just too farfetched to imagine. But if I'm proven wrong in the future then that is that. :P

#17 Posted by iwilson1296 (2184 posts) -

misleading thread title

#18 Posted by myster_samz (584 posts) -

hopefully they do it nothin wrong wit it

#19 Edited by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

What is this? Some kind of joke?

#20 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

at this time this story smells of scam

#21 Edited by Xplode_games (503 posts) -

Keep dreaming

#22 Edited by santoron (6413 posts) -

Just slapping a steam client into Nintendo hardware wouldn't magically make all the Steam games work on a Nintendo machine. Look at Steam on Mac or Linux. Or SteamOS.

The only way for Nintendo to gain all those software titles you're hoping for would be to build the new console as a windows PC with a Nintendo shell on top, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you all the reasons that won't occur. Otherwise they'd have to convince devs to port their steam games over to their new console, and that's been their problem with devs for close to 20 years now. Nothing about this makes that task any easier.

#23 Edited by ni6htmare01 (798 posts) -

not going to happened!

#24 Edited by cainetao11 (14369 posts) -

I want a steam machine like that though!!