deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

From the Switch version of Ultra Street Fighter II- matchmaking and lobbies are both handled directly by the system. The phone app is not needed.

So I imagine that Reggie was either flat out wrong, or he misspoke- it seems like friend management functions may necessitate the usage of a phone app, but general online play seems to be handled directly from the system without issues just fine.

Translation of the above:

There are four types of Ranked Matches:

Quick Match – Searches for players able to fight without setting any conditions.

Custom Match – Set conditions and search for a player that you want to fight against.

Create Match – Create a lobby where you set the battle rules and such, and wait for the players that you want to fight against to join.

Friend Match – Searches for players that you can fight against now from your registered friends list

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/ultra-str...etwork-battles

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

now my question is: Will Nintendo games only use the phone for matchmaking...

Seems odd they wouldnt flat out come and say that you dont

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis said:

I doubt it. I fully see the phone app being mandatory for voice chat and private parties, but I simply cannot see how matchmaking only being possible through a phone app is even logistically possible.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605: They damn better. Even for a mobile solution needing a phone to do basic online console features would be completely asinine. The Vita had no problems with all of that and it was released in 2012. The 3DS is also only lacking voice chat I think (?). So yeah, this would be a massive move backwards.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aigis

@charizard1605 said:
@aigis said:

I doubt it. I fully see the phone app being mandatory for voice chat and private parties, but I simply cannot see how matchmaking only being possible through a phone app is even logistically possible.

It doesnt make sense to me either, but for some reason I dont doubt that Nintendo would want to do it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: They damn better. Even for a mobile solution needing a phone to do basic online console features would be completely asinine. The Vita had no problems with all of that and it was released in 2012. The 3DS is also only lacking voice chat I think (?). So yeah, this would be a massive move backwards.

3DS has voice chat, but on a game by game basis as opposed to any universal, OS based implementation. But like I said to aigis, I fully see the phone app being mandatory for voice chat and private parties, but I simply cannot see how matchmaking only being possible through a phone app is even logistically possible. So you'll be able to achieve 3DS/Wii U level online play on the Switch just fine and without issues, but if you want the additional PSN/XBL level features, you'll need the app.

That's how I am seeing it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis said:
@charizard1605 said:
@aigis said:

It doesnt make sense to me either, but for some reason I dont doubt that Nintendo would want to do it

Wanting to do it and actually being able to do to it at all are two very different things though :p

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 aigis

@charizard1605 said:
@aigis said:
@charizard1605 said:
@aigis said:

Wanting to do it and actually being able to do to it at all are two very different things though :p

Thats what im hoping for :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

I mean, sure it'll work, but why not allow the app on the Switch itself? Seems very unnecessary. Unless they're worried about RAM management, which I guess is a valid concern, but still I can't imagine it being a huge issue that can't be worked around, especially considering Nintendo's multiplayer games probably aren't going to be pushing the system to its limits, I don't expect that to happen.

Reggie probably knows that deep down, he's just the one stuck trying to PR spin this thing and I can't actually fault the guy, he's just along for the ride with the head boss in Japan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@davillain-: What are you talking about, lol? The app is not necessary for online match making, that's what this thread is saying.

If you mean for voice chat and friends management... idk, trying to keep little kiddies off of voice chat?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Lets hope chat is same. States these are for Switch, not phones.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: But that still doesn't make any lick of sense. Even it was just for voice chat. For example, you're outside in a situation in which you want to hear the game audio and thus are using some heaphones. The Switch has a 3.5mm port, so problem solved right? You get your game audio through there. Now lets say that for some reason you want to chat with a buddy/people on the MP portion of the game using voice chat.

So they'd want you to use your phone on speakerphone? Or use another set of heaphones? Or worse even, have the Switch send the game audio to the phone and handle everything there (or vice-versa with the chat audio being sent to the Switch and being handled there)? I may be missing something really obvious here, but I really can't see any scenario where needing an extra device to handle any of this stuff makes a lick of sense. It "feels" like a corporate decision to make use of their partnership with that mobile company (can't recall the name) and appease the investors that want a stronger presence on that phone market too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@charizard1605: I mean in all general online stuff is what I was thinking. Are gamers gonna really play MP on Nintendo Switch at all?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: But that still doesn't make any lick of sense. Even it was just for voice chat. For example, you're outside in a situation in which you want to hear the game audio and thus are using some heaphones. The Switch as 3.5mm port, so problem solved right? You get your game audio through there. Now lets say that for some reason you want to chat with a buddy/people on the MP portion of the game using voice chat.

So they'd want you to use your phone on speakerphone? Or use another set of heaphones? Or worse even, have the Switch send the game audio to the phone and handle everything there (or vice-versa with the chat audio being sent to the Switch and being handled there)? I may be missing something really obvious here, but I really can't see any scenario where needing an extra device to handle any of this stuff makes a lick of sense. It "feels" like a corporate decision to make use of their partnership with that mobile company (can't recall the name) and appease the investors that want a stronger presence on that phone market too.

Question is, how would you actually play online when you were outside?

I imagine maybe Nintendo assumed that would be such a fringe case of usage, they didn't need to plan for it? Conversely, maybe undocked, the Switch handles everything from the system directly, as long as it synchs to the app first? I'm just throwing things at the wall here- I honestly don't know how it could work.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iandizion713

@davillain-: What? Splatoon 2 baby.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@davillain- said:

@charizard1605: I mean in all general online stuff is what I was thinking. Are gamers gonna really play MP on Nintendo Switch at all?

Well, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and of course, Pokemon are all Nintendo franchises with extremely popular online components, so... yes?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aigis

@iandizion713: why doesnt Nintendo come out and say that then? This is what confuses me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis said:

@iandizion713: why doesnt Nintendo come out and say that then? This is what confuses me

Maybe they don't know their own online strategy yet :p

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis: Cause they enjoy people talking and figuring stuff out on their own. Also its sold out. Bragging about a console no one can buy is kinda strange. They need to focus on producing more consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: Cause they enjoy people talking and figuring stuff out on their own.

Never take a marketing job ever, please

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iandizion713

@charizard1605 said:
@iandizion713 said:

Guess you dont know Nintendo. Have you forgot all the secrets their systems have they never talk about? They got all the bad news out first, thats smart business. Even people complaining can be a good thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@iandizion713 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@iandizion713 said:

Guess you dont know Nintendo. Have you forgot all the secrets their systems have they never talk about?

Having a cool secret Gamecube menu as an easter egg is extremely and fundamentally different than failing to adequately and appropriately communicate basic functionality of your system just a little over a month before launch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@charizard1605 said:
@davillain- said:

Well, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and of course, Pokemon are all Nintendo franchises with extremely popular online components, so... yes?

Fair points, I'm just more of a single player guy but with Nintendo charging online now, I be surprise if MP is gonna be the next big thing on a Nintendo console. Splatoon was one thing, but that was online free however.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aigis
@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: Cause they enjoy people talking and figuring stuff out on their own. Also its sold out.

Its just bad press at this point, yes people are talking about it, but not in a good way. Also sold out is relative, if they actually avoided this whole fiasco, it probably would still have sold out...

@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: Bragging about a console no one can buy is kinda strange.

?

ya lost me there

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: I mean, that's the whole point of it right? To be played on the go. Online and all. While perhaps that is not that feasible (yet) in many Western countries, perhaps it's something that is already normal in Japan (playing online handheld games on a daily commute, for example). I honestly have no idea on that, just assuming here. Even then, this is possibly the worst way to go about this.

In any case, while I can understand some of the limitations about the handheld mode of the Switch, basic OS features (which these ARE in 2017) cannot be compromised. While it's not as powerful as we'd all like it to, it's also clearly stronger than the WiiU as shown by the game comparisons. Thus unless it has some weird amount of RAM, CPU bottleneck, battery drain, OS limitations, or what have you (and those would still be their fault too) this just doesn't make any sense.

What's annoying is that this clearly needs to be clarified and talked about openly so it can be forgotten once and for all, but Nintendo seems adamant in not saying anything else. I hope they eventually do, but I'm guessing they really won't (not until it launches).

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iandizion713

@charizard1605: Its not Nintendo's fault gamers fear Switch to not have a basic feature previous systems had.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aigis

@iandizion713 said:

@charizard1605: Its not Nintendo's fault gamers fear Switch to not have a basic feature both 3DS and Wii U had.

yes it is

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Desmonic: Maybe a clip on mic for voice chat? I don't understand how the headphones would work either.

I'm expecting voice chat from other players to not come through the phone, but be part of the audio out on the Switch itself, but we'll see. No idea how it will work, so I'm not expecting a worst case scenario.

The way I thought it would work until I started typing this, is that you will be logged in to your MyNintendo account on your Switch to play online. So the server knows all the players that are connected. When you click on the app, you are also logged in on your MyNintendo account through there. So it knows that the two belong together. And that lets you use the microphone in your phone, or plug a microphone into your phone to talk to others.

Hmm but now that I typed that it seems like a silly way to do it. What if the phone-app connects through Bluetooth to the Switch? In that case the phone might get both audio and send your voice no problem. The only crazy part of it is why do it through a phone? Maybe you can only voice chat with the friends you have and they want to manage all the friend/account stuff in the phone app? Hmm it still doesn't make 100% sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@iandizion713: It absolutely is. But I don't expect you to ever understand that.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@iandizion713 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@iandizion713 said:

Guess you dont know Nintendo. Have you forgot all the secrets their systems have they never talk about?

Having a cool secret Gamecube menu as an easter egg is extremely and fundamentally different than failing to adequately and appropriately communicate basic functionality of your system just a little over a month before launch.

HAHAHAHA! You said it yourself Char, remember that's her thing. Not based on any logic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic: They've actually promised a Direct on online and OS functions in February so we should know for sure either way soon enough.

Japan also does not have online for a handheld on the go btw

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iandizion713

@charizard1605 said:

@iandizion713: It absolutely is. But I don't expect you to ever understand that.

How so then? Fill us in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@iandizion713: Nah. I'm bored of going around in circles with you, especially since there's no getting through to you at all. I'll let you carry on in your own little bubble.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iandizion713

@charizard1605 said:

@iandizion713: Nah. I'm bored of going around in circles with you, especially since there's no getting through to you at all. I'll let you carry on in your own little bubble.

Thats what i thought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@iandizion713: Great

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iandizion713

@charizard1605: Ok?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Here is hoping I guess! I really hope Nintendo learned something from the XB1 blunder at launch. Granted it's not an apples to apples kind of thing, but all that negativity ended up hurting the sales, even if not at launch. We'll see. There is a lot of great stuff about the Switch but a lot more still that needs to be clearly disclosed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic: I think the situation is fundamentally different, but yeah. Nintendo could stand to be more transparent.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By aigis

@iandizion713 said:
@charizard1605 said:

How so then? Fill us in.

It could be when Nintendo has set a precedent for using online without a phone on their previous systems (which really is an industry standard), said they are going to do something stupid now by making you use a phone to use online now (even though you are already used to using the system Nintendo and the rest of the world has been using) and then refusing to answer questions about it.

Thats just me though

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis: When did they state theyd force you to use your phone? And when did they refuse to answer a question about it? Weve had companies making headsets for Nintendo Switch before and after the presentation.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By aigis

@iandizion713: They said you had to use the phone for voice chat and online matchmaking (though that doesnt seem to be the case at least for street fighter 2), sites have reached out for comments about the phone app and havent got anything back nor has nintendo made press releases addressing the issue, and the headsets mean nothing in the grand scheme of things

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis: No they didnt. They said it was one of their new online services. Who has reached out? Ive never seen not one person question Nintendo about it in all their interviews. When a company sells headsets for the Nintendo Switch that means nothing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I hope they decide to offer an alternative solution to the smartphone app in the future. I am not sure how it will work out - maybe it will turn out to be a good option but right now I am not liking the idea at all.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

An interview with ProJared made it a lot more clear with what he meant. Voice chat requires the phone app. But the system will be able to handle the matchmaking and whatnot.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aigis

@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: No they didnt. They said it was one of their new online services. Who has reached out? Ive never seen not one person question Nintendo about it in all their interviews. When a company sells headsets for the Nintendo Switch that means nothing?

It has always been advertised the way voice chat will work, IGN and Forbes are some of the articles I've seen on it. If you dont see people talking about this you are being delusional. And yes the headsets mean nothing because there has been no details about how it will be implemented

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis: Not sure what you mean. How do you think headsets sold for Nintendo Switch will be used? You think theyre going to sell a product for Nintendo Switch that doesnt work on the Switch?

@Maroxad: The question was how are you going to expand the online services.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By aigis

@iandizion713: I dont know, could work through the phone. Thats the logical conclusion if the voice chat is through the phone

This is the point, Nintendo is doing a shit job explaining this

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iandizion713

@aigis: Guess well have to wait and see. I think ill be USB/Jack like usual with the addition of being able to just use a phone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@aigis:

I agree. During the presentation, Nintendo explained certain aspects of the Nintendo Switch thoroughly such as the functionality of the Joycon controllers but one thing I definitely feel could have done with a little more explanation and transparency was the online infrastructure.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iandizion713

@jumpaction: That would have taken 30mins itself. They dont want to overwhelm people all in one day. Especially when they dont have everything ready. The phone App wont even release till Fall.