Nintendo, Sony Thrilled as China Considers Lifting 12 Year Ban on Console Sales

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TankBusterJenn (154 posts) -

"The Chinese government imposed the ban in 2000 to safeguard children's mental and physical development.

In November, Sony's PlayStation 3 received a quality certification from a Chinese safety standards body, prompting speculation of a change in law from Beijing.

"We are reviewing the policy and have conducted some surveys and held discussions with other ministries on the possibility of opening up the game console market," the official China Daily quoted an unnamed source from the Ministry of Culture as saying.

"However, since the ban was issued by seven ministries more than a decade ago, we will need approval from all parties to lift it.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/9831583/Sony-and-Nintendo-shares-up-as-China-considers-lifting-ban-on-PlayStation-and-Wii.html

#2 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Damn. That is a huge market, though not all of them have money.

#3 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -
I don't get it. They will let 10 year olds build a Playstation but they won't let them play it?
#4 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
I think this would help China's lack of creativity in the next few decades if they do decide to lift the ban.
#5 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

I don't get it. They will let 10 year olds build a Playstation but they won't let them play it?DaBrainz
Pretty much. China is weird like that.

#6 Posted by clr84651 (5567 posts) -

That would help Sony out the most.

#7 Posted by osirisx3 (2040 posts) -

with 1.35 billion people China could be a great new market for consoles.

#8 Posted by Ghost120x (4354 posts) -
It would be very nice to see some games developed from china. People there have had 12 long years to think of some really great game concepts.
#9 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

And communism gives way to capitalism.

#10 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

It would be very nice to see some games developed from china. People there have had 12 long years to think of some really great game concepts.Ghost120x

Haha, we have already seen some Chinese knock offs already.

I do think that the more the merrier though. They probably do got some good ideas of their own.

#11 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28909 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]I don't get it. They will let 10 year olds build a Playstation but they won't let them play it?Timstuff

Pretty much. China is weird like that.

Like in the US you can own a gun, go to war and die for your country, but you can't have a beer at 18? Everyone is odd the world over from someone else's perspective.

(I did lol at Brainz's comment tho!)

#12 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28909 posts) -

That would help Sony out the most.

clr84651
As the chinese and Japanese are at loggerheads atm over those islands and the Chinese are boycotting Japanese goods, that might not be the case at all ....
#13 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

Gxgear

Eh they still got a ways to go from the last I went there.

Its good to see some of their isolationist rules being reviewed though. Only good things can come from a market that huge.

#14 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3207 posts) -

Chinese Pirates still prefer the legacy PC.

#15 Posted by StormyJoe (6809 posts) -

Well, this would be "official", I guess. It's not like you can't get PS3s, 360s, and Wiis in China. My buddy lives there now (he workd for an international company), and he has a PS3 (for Blu-Ray), and a 360. He bought them in China at a run-of-the-mill electronics store in Shanghai.

There is pretty much ZERO enforcement of such laws. He also has an "Apple iPhone", with the Apple logo and everything, thats made by some local Chinese company not affiliated with Apple. It's kind of funny how the "Contacts" button loads his calculator, though...

#16 Posted by StormyJoe (6809 posts) -

Mr_BillGates

That is what will kill the next gen consoles in China. There is no enforcement of piracy laws. But, if you can't play used games )I am assuming pirated games would fall under this as well), no one in China is going to buy it.

#17 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

Well, this would be "official", I guess. It's not like you can't get PS3s, 360s, and Wiis in China. My buddy lives there now (he workd for an international company), and he has a PS3 (for Blu-Ray), and a 360. He bought them in China at a run-of-the-mill electronics store in Shanghai.

There is pretty much ZERO enforcement of such laws. He also has an "Apple iPhone", with the Apple logo and everything, thats made by some local Chinese company not affiliated with Apple. It's kind of funny how the "Contacts" button loads his calculator, though...

StormyJoe

Yeah they are not as bad with that stuff as people claim so I think they are at least heading toward a good spot on cooperating with other countries for things, but I do remember that there was still a good amount of restriction there at least for certain American brands and outlets. The "black market" usually had everything but weren't necessarily that good on quality.

I still remember buying 200 games in 1 cartridges for GB games back in Korea as well. Not to mention seeing a ton of bootleg movies and such that were very cheap yet were "back of the movie theater with a camera" showings.

#18 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28519 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"]It would be very nice to see some games developed from china. People there have had 12 long years to think of some really great game concepts.AznbkdX

I do think that the more the merrier though. They probably do got some good ideas of their own.

Well, I know Ubisoft has (or had) a studio in Shanghai.
#19 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"]It would be very nice to see some games developed from china. People there have had 12 long years to think of some really great game concepts.nintendoboy16

Well, I know Ubisoft has (or had) a studio in Shanghai.

Wouldn't surprise me. Its way cheaper to operate in China then it is in the United States and Japan.

Some of those operations are placeholders though so they can get benefits without actively doing much there. Not sure if the Shanghai branch is completely like this, but I bet they are not doing a huge amount of stuff in devving.

#20 Posted by RavenLoud (2874 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

AznbkdX

Its good to see some of their isolationist rules being reviewed though. Only good things can come from a market that huge.

China is arguably much more capitalist than Western countries in many aspects, usually the negative ones (profit at all cost, pollution, lack of regulations etc). I don't know when's the last time you went to China, but it's been communist in name only for a few decades by now. Unless of course, you are using the horribly distorted definition of capitalism/communism from cold war propaganda.
#21 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20516 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

StormyJoe

That is what will kill the next gen consoles in China. There is no enforcement of piracy laws. But, if you can't play used games )I am assuming pirated games would fall under this as well), no one in China is going to buy it.

The thing is Piracy will help console sales, but not game sales. Think about the PSP. The reason it even sold as well as it did is because of how easy it was to hack. Sure games were pirated to death, and in the long run SONY suffered cause developers were afraid to create games for it, but it sold very well, because by just buying one little system, you had essentially bought all the legacy systems (NES/SNES/GENESIS/etc...) and had could still play PSP games. The truth of the matter (as an African who has lived in a "3rd world " country) is that most people in areas like that cant afford to buy brand new games (PS3 games were selling for $120 in some countries) and piracy is the only thing that keeps things alive. So while I agree that piracy is terrible, the truth of the matter is that the PS2 would never have sold as well without piracy. in 3rd world nations, there are 2 options: 1) your console gets cracked, people buy it and pirate all your games or 2) your console is secure and no one buys it and u make absolutely zero profit. So its your choice...would u rather make money from pirates buying your console and then pirating your games, or just ignore the entire market?
#22 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

RavenLoud

China is arguably much more capitalist than Western countries in many aspects, usually the negative ones (profit at all cost, pollution, lack of regulations etc). I don't know when's the last time you went to China, but it's been communist in name only for a few decades by now. Unless of course, you are using the horribly distorted definition of capitalism/communism from cold war propaganda.

I'm using mostly the distorted view really just to see reactions, but it looks like this thread isn't too popular.

I've lived over in Asia for many years so I know that China is fairly modern. They do have their quirks as I said above, but it really wouldn't surprise me if some people are fairly Americentric on their views about everything.

#23 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Damn. That is a huge market, though not all of them have money.

psymon100

Nintendo used to get around it by setting up a Chinese company and releasing under the name of that Chinese company.

They had the

iQue Player (N64)
iQue Gameboy Advance
iQue SP
iQue Micro
iQue DS
iQue DSLite
iQue DSi
iQue 3DS XL

But iQue is currently on allowed to sell Nintendo's Portable systems outside of the iQue Player which is an N64.

I think China might of did that because of their history with Japan during WWII.

South Korea also did that because they banned all Japanese products after WWII.

Samsung actually distributed the SEGA MasterSystem and SEGA Megadrive in South Korea under the name of the Gam*Boy and Super Gam*Boy respectively.

Samsung also distributed the Nintendo Gameboy in South Korea under the name Mini-Comboy.

Samsung South Korean History

#24 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Mr_BillGates

Ironically you can purchase Wii, 360, PS3, Ipad, etc, clones with software and options superior to the original product in Shanghai.

#25 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
So they have handhelds already? What kind of sales have those generated? I've never heard of the Chinese market as being huge for Nintendo.
#26 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

slimjimbadboy

Ironically you can purchase Wii, 360, PS3, Ipad, etc, clones with software and options superior to the original product in Shanghai.

Yep, but you do have to watch out for a good amount of the bad products though.

I still remember buying those awesome 32 in 1 GB cartridges and such. Good gaming sometimes, but they really messed with a lot of names and such.

Also just wondering... that sig of yours is from Cyberpunk right? I thought they just released info on it just recently but I saw you had that sig for the longest of time. I'm guessing it was a concept art before but I need a confirmation.

#27 Posted by AznbkdX (3668 posts) -

So they have handhelds already? What kind of sales have those generated? I've never heard of the Chinese market as being huge for Nintendo.Cherokee_Jack

I wouldn't know but I'm guessing they aren't very big on Nintendo and Sony as of now. At least this lifting will have more reassurance to many devs and out of country companies that China is now a good market to sell to. They already had flimsy enforcement on these kinds of rules (at least for certain tech and games), but its mostly just psychology or misinformation (centrism of any kind tends to do this sometimes) that probably kept some people back from even going near them.

#28 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

So they have handhelds already? What kind of sales have those generated? I've never heard of the Chinese market as being huge for Nintendo.Cherokee_Jack
iQue only gets less then 10 games a gen.

iQue GBA only got 8 translated games:

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 3
Metroid Fusion
Warioware
Metroid Zero Mission
Super Mario Advance
Wario Land 4

iQue DS only had 6 translated games and it was the only version of the original DS that was region locked

New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64 DS
Yoshi Touch and Go
Nintendogs
Polarium
Warioware: Touched

#29 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

iQue DS only had 6 translated games and it was the only version of the original DS that was region locked

Nintendo_Ownes7

Sure it's really region locked? I read of someone getting an iQue DS and being able to play all their NDS games on it.

#30 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
pirates, pirates everywhere :P
#31 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Cherokee_Jack

Sure it's really region locked? I read of someone getting an iQue DS and being able to play all their NDS games on it.

I could be wrong the only source I found was Wikipedia and anybody could edit it.

#32 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

Finally China is about to start lifting.

#33 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
Console sales might benefit from the Chinese market, but software, probably not that much.
#34 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
the 3ps and iiwU is doomed!
#35 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

AznbkdX

Yep, but you do have to watch out for a good amount of the bad products though.

I still remember buying those awesome 32 in 1 GB cartridges and such. Good gaming sometimes, but they really messed with a lot of names and such.

Also just wondering... that sig of yours is from Cyberpunk right? I thought they just released info on it just recently but I saw you had that sig for the longest of time. I'm guessing it was a concept art before but I need a confirmation.

Holy hell, I've bought a couple "Rolex's" in my time that didn't even last the week. Even the way electronics are built today you have to worry about bad products regardless of who makes them :lol:

Oh yea, I think it was when they released info about the Cyberpunk for the first time with art a few months back. I was going to change it once I saw new stuff but was pleasantly surprised with the vid they released that made her the focus.

#36 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Yeah,about time stupid countries like that stop being closeminded and backwards.

#37 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Yeah,about time stupid countries like that stop being closeminded and backwards.

GreekGameManiac

Oh the irony.

#38 Posted by caseypayne69 (5391 posts) -
Now Japan can lift the ban on US cars.
#39 Posted by caseypayne69 (5391 posts) -

osirisx3
Not as big as you think. I bet only 1/3 to 1/5 could afford one.
#40 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

Now Japan can lift the ban on US cars.caseypayne69

why

#41 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
Won't make a lick of difference in sales, other than shifting some around the official numbers of where systems were bought. I live here- there are several electronics markets in this city and each have usually four or so game shops with all the modern systems. If anyone wants one and can afford it, they have absolutely no issues getting it.
#42 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

caseypayne69

even with a 1/5...whats that, like 250million?
#43 Posted by KungfuKitten (21586 posts) -
[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]Won't make a lick of difference in sales, other than shifting some around the official numbers of where systems were bought. I live here- there are several electronics markets in this city and each have usually four or so game shops with all the modern systems. If anyone wants one and can afford it, they have absolutely no issues getting it.

That is what I imagined.
#44 Posted by humpmasterflex (363 posts) -

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

caseypayne69

so lets just say that only 1/4th of the population can afford one, thats still over 330 million people, which is the entire populatio of the United States currently, and not all 330 million people in the US can afford consoles either.

china Biggest market confirmed.

#45 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

humpmasterflex

so lets just say that only 1/4th of the population can afford one, thats still over 330 million people, which is the entire populatio of the United States currently, and not all 330 million people in the US can afford consoles either.

Yes.

To double the Wii's worldwide sales Nintendo would only need ~7.2% market penetration into China. I think that's actually quite substantial, however, there's no doubt in my mind that China is a market one wants to sell their products in.

That is of couse assuming one likes money ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/china/disposable-personal-income

#46 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

humpmasterflex

Thirteen percent of Chinese live on a buck a day. My students graduate hoping to make $200-300/month. The market is nowhere near as big as you seem to think.
#47 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7808 posts) -

GG Xbox :lol:

#48 Posted by hippiesanta (10012 posts) -
beware.... online multiplayer will be crowded.... in mandarin
#49 Posted by IveDatedUrMom (451 posts) -

GreekGameManiac
About time you became less ethnocentric and brainwashed and realize not everything is revolving around what you deem good. You might know a thing or two more about 'backwards' though.
#50 Posted by caseypayne69 (5391 posts) -

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Now Japan can lift the ban on US cars.Optical_Order

why

Because it's bad business to import and not export something. I see no reason for Japan to not allow American Cars into their country brand new. Even Toyota partnered with GM to sell Cavaliers in Japan. They were called Toyota Cavaliers. I find Japan lame for that reason. They only want there people buy their products. I think the US should be that way and kick them out if the trend continues.