Nintendo sold 2.4 million Wii U's in 9 months.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-sold-2-4m-wii-u-consoles-in-9-months-less-than-sony-and-microsoft-sold-in-six-weeks/

Nintendo said today it sold just 2.4 million Wii U video game consoles in the nine months that ended Dec. 31. That was far less than the 4.2 million that Sony sold (to retailers) and the 3.9 million Microsoft sold(To retailers) in just six weeks.

That poor performance is causing a financial train wreck at Japan’s oldest and most venerable video game company.

Profits for Nintendo slid 30 percent in the first nine months of the year as Wii U sales weakened. But Nintendo managed to make a profit of 10.2 billion yen ($99 million) during the nine month period, thanks to sales of 3DS software and hardware. The Kyoto, Japan-based company did not break out quarterly numbers.

The Sony PlayStation 4 and the Microsoft Xbox One are more powerful machines, and sales of the new consoles took off after they were launched in November. But the Wii U, which launched in the fall of 2012, failed to ignite consumer demand. To date, the Wii U has sold (To retailers) 5.86 million units of hardware and 29.4 million units of software. By comparison, the previous game console, the Wii, has sold more than 100.9 million units of hardware and 892.3 million units of software.(<WTF is this comparison?)

Meanwhile, the 3DS isn’t selling nearly as many units as the DS, thanks to sales of smartphones and tablets. Apple, by comparison, sold 51 million iPhones and 26 million iPads in the fourth calendar quarter alone. To date, the 3DS has sold 42.7 million units of hardware (to retailers) and 152.29 million units of software. The DS over its lifetime has sold 153.9 million units of hardware and 942.3 million units of software.

So apparently the 4.2 million PS4's were shipped. (and so was MS's which i fixed)

I also don't understand the comparison of a console that is around 2 years old to the Wii's total LTD sales. Pretty sure the Wii Did not sell 100 million units in 2 years. Comparison make no logical sense at this time.

Main story is, the Wii U sold 2.4 million in 9 months. That is pretty bad.

#2 Edited by freedomfreak (38238 posts) -

Excellent numbers.

#3 Posted by Heil68 (42679 posts) -

Nobody doubts the WiiU will end up in last place this gen.

#4 Edited by super600 (29961 posts) -

That number is pretty terrible. Let's hope the console sells a lot better in the next year or two.

#5 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Well technically it is still ahead.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (54469 posts) -

Wii U is a dud, we know this.

Surprised it is still holding on to its 'lead' though.

Can't wait to see what Iwata announces later today.

#7 Edited by Seabas989 (9956 posts) -

That's abysmal but not surprised.

#8 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2656 posts) -

Hopefully he begs for mercy then commits seppuku. He took a company from 1st place to the worst showing in Nintendo's history.

#9 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25826 posts) -

"I have a BAD feeling about this!" - Most common Star Wars quote

#10 Edited by charizard1605 (54469 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

"I have a BAD feeling about this!" - Most common Star Wars quote

To be fair, you never actually have a good feeling about anything :P

#11 Posted by silversix_ (13630 posts) -

@super600: Why would it? When true next gen titles start to flow on ps4/x1, the wiiu will be forgotten completely.

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (54469 posts) -

@super600: Why would it? When true next gen titles start to flow on ps4/x1, the wiiu will be forgotten completely.

Because it is getting some great games?

#13 Posted by princeofshapeir (13604 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

That won't be enough

#14 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2656 posts) -

The only thing gamers remember is how bad the wii u is.

#15 Edited by charizard1605 (54469 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

That won't be enough

Possibly; I wanna see what Kart and Smash do for the console's sales though.

#16 Posted by silversix_ (13630 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

and it didn't this year? I thought WiiU's library was good now!? do you seriously think that instead of one mario, two mario titles will save the day? Nothing will save the WiiU at this point and every time there's a 100k sales spike people will bring the usual "wiiu is picking up steam" but nothing really is happening

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (54469 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

and it didn't this year? I thought WiiU's library was good now!? do you seriously think that instead of one mario, two mario titles will save the day? Nothing will save the WiiU at this point and every time there's a 100k sales spike people will bring the usual "wiiu is picking up steam" but nothing really is happening

Wii U's library blew in 2013; it only picked up by the end of 2013 when 3D World released.

This year, on the other hand, we have Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong, and so on. Smash and Kart, in particular, might do something for sales. We'll just have to wait and see is all I am saying;

#18 Posted by I_can_haz (6481 posts) -

The article is a bit off by saying Sony sold 4.2 million PS4s to retailers it actually sold that to customers. The number it has sold to retailers is probably higher.

#19 Posted by Ghost120x (3651 posts) -

Not bad, it could be worse. So that averages about over 200k oer month.

#20 Posted by silversix_ (13630 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

Wii U's library blew in 2013; it only picked up by the end of 2013 when 3D World released.

This year, on the other hand, we have Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong, and so on. Smash and Kart, in particular, might do something for sales. We'll just have to wait and see is all I am saying;

smash n kart are the only ones that will be noticed and may sale some wiiu and its with these two you'll see the 100k sales spikes im talking about. I know you want your X in 2014 but this is not happening for very obvious reasons like hmmm we haven't heard about the existence of this thing since e3 and the poor sales of wiiu? I wouldn't be surprised if the game comes out in 2015 or even delayed to the next Nintendo's system

#21 Posted by tormentos (16509 posts) -

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-sold-2-4m-wii-u-consoles-in-9-months-less-than-sony-and-microsoft-sold-in-six-weeks/

Nintendo said today it sold just 2.4 million Wii U video game consoles in the nine months that ended Dec. 31. That was far less than the 4.2 million that Sony sold (to retailers) and the 3.9 million Microsoft sold(To retailers) in just six weeks.

That poor performance is causing a financial train wreck at Japan’s oldest and most venerable video game company.

Profits for Nintendo slid 30 percent in the first nine months of the year as Wii U sales weakened. But Nintendo managed to make a profit of 10.2 billion yen ($99 million) during the nine month period, thanks to sales of 3DS software and hardware. The Kyoto, Japan-based company did not break out quarterly numbers.

The Sony PlayStation 4 and the Microsoft Xbox One are more powerful machines, and sales of the new consoles took off after they were launched in November. But the Wii U, which launched in the fall of 2012, failed to ignite consumer demand. To date, the Wii U has sold (To retailers) 5.86 million units of hardware and 29.4 million units of software. By comparison, the previous game console, the Wii, has sold more than 100.9 million units of hardware and 892.3 million units of software.(<WTF is this comparison?)

Meanwhile, the 3DS isn’t selling nearly as many units as the DS, thanks to sales of smartphones and tablets. Apple, by comparison, sold 51 million iPhones and 26 million iPads in the fourth calendar quarter alone. To date, the 3DS has sold 42.7 million units of hardware (to retailers) and 152.29 million units of software. The DS over its lifetime has sold 153.9 million units of hardware and 942.3 million units of software.

So apparently the 4.2 million PS4's were shipped. (and so was MS's which i fixed)

I also don't understand the comparison of a console that is around 2 years old to the Wii's total LTD sales. Pretty sure the Wii Did not sell 100 million units in 2 years. Comparison make no logical sense at this time.

No sony 4.2 million were sold to consumer stated by sony,also confirmed by the lack of any PS4 in stores,since december the PS4 has been missing in action across all stores.

The console was over price and nintendo did a poor job with the naming,Wii U should have been Wii too to make it cleaver, think a $249 or $199 price would really spice Nintendo sales,but Nintendo is to anal about selling units at a loss,ultimately the tablet controller is what is killing the unit since Nintendo can't lower the price much without suffering.

#22 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

That's what Nintendo gets for not listening to devs or consumers.

#23 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38167 posts) -

Pfff such jokes nintendo are, PSquad sold like 19 million in it's first month. Lems and sheep are dead the domination has won

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (54469 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@silversix_ said:

Nintendo reconfirmed a 2014 release date for it, so really, your point has no significance there- Nintendo always does this with its games, early announcements, blackout, followed by hype in the month or so leading up to the game's release (see also: Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD).

#25 Edited by KBFloYd (12774 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

last place isnt so bad... you should know.

#26 Edited by DocSanchez (1406 posts) -

Are those just Venezuelas figures or something? Jesus.

#27 Edited by blackace (19745 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

True.. Both the PS4 and XB1 will pass the Wii U by the end of Spring. Nintendo needs to raise their storage to at least 120GB and lower the price of their system to $200 without a game & $250 wth the game bundle. If they did a Mario Kart 8 & Super Mario 3D World bundle for $250, I'd be all over that.

#28 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6596 posts) -

I'm a bit curious just how many of those 2.4 million units came after the release of Super Mario 3D World. I'm betting it's about 2.1 million.

#29 Posted by trugs26 (5119 posts) -

I think 2014 will be the real test for the Wii U. Next gen has started, no one is waiting for any systems to come out - everything is in place. I want to see if Nintendo can turn things around with software (or whatever else they have up their sleeves). Here's hoping for a good outcome at today's event.

#30 Posted by DocSanchez (1406 posts) -

Are those just Venezuelas figures or something? Jesus.

#31 Posted by Heil68 (42679 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

I know SONY is in the drivers seat this gen. awwwww yeahhhhhhhh :D

#32 Edited by fueled-system (6227 posts) -

The sad thing is there are some good games on it, just the complete incompetence of a marketing strategy and anarchic treatment of online..

#33 Edited by KBFloYd (12774 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

lol how can you be happy about sony's situation.

you cows are amazing.

#34 Edited by super600 (29961 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

A combination of good games and extreme measures like what nintendo did with the 3ds like a couple of years ago may help the WiiU.I hghly doubt these extreme measures will include a massive price cut.

#35 Edited by CWEBB04z (4524 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

you cows are amazing.

IF you aint first, your last.

-Kazuo Hirai

#36 Posted by Heil68 (42679 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

you cows are amazing.

#37 Posted by Jag85 (4265 posts) -

Even the first comparison doesn't make much sense, comparing PS4/X1 launch sales to the Wii U's current sales. When the Wii U launched, it sold over 3 million in its first six weeks. The first few months were successful for the Wii U, but sales only started slowing down after that.

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16092 posts) -

Not bad, it could be worse. So that averages about over 200k oer month.

Agreed. It's not like no-one buys this console, like some doomsayers keep on insisting. It's not like the numbers it should be getting, but the console needs a chance and not this constant negativity.

Or in other words: leave wiiu alone :'(

#39 Posted by lamprey263 (22440 posts) -

Why are people saying the 3DS is doing worse than the DS, the 3DS did 13 million finishing its opening year, and 14 million each of the following two years, it's at about 42 million in sales thus far, while the 3DS did 3 million finishing its opening year, 10 million the second year, and 21 million the third year, which totals 35 million in the same timeframe.

And why do people keep blaming smart phones for the "decline" in portable sales? 3DS isn't in a decline over the DS yet and people aren't buying the Vita for a number of reasons such as price, lack of content, much of it a substitute to a console experience, lack of BC (no UMD compatibility or conversion program), expensive proprietary memory cards, and the continuing lack of retailer and consumer support for the PS portable brand that sparked with the PSP Go fiasco and Sony hasn't recovered from that.

Back to the 3DS though, it's finally getting some great selling titles like Pokemon and A Link Between Worlds, I see a lot of potential to grow in sales over the next year. DS sales really picked up in its third year when they released their first Pokemon title. Now that Pokemon X/Y is out I can see sales picking up huge in the next year, and they'll probably keep releasing Pokemon games over the next several years. At its peak the DS sold over 30 million in a year. Nintendo has yet to achieve that with the 3DS but that doesn't mean it's behind, it took years for Nintendo to get there previously.

Will the 3DS ever live up to the DS's lifetime sales... who knows, wouldn't be surprised if not though, the DS was a phenomenal success, over 150 million sold, like the PS2 it'd be kind of crazy to expect something to top it for a while.

#40 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3238 posts) -

So it is actually selling. Funny how I keep hearing it's not selling or how nobody wants one.

#41 Posted by DocSanchez (1406 posts) -

@princessgomez92: 2.4 million worldwide is less popular than sales of a chocolate teapot. Nobody is buying one.

#42 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3238 posts) -
#43 Posted by DocSanchez (1406 posts) -
#44 Posted by chocolate1325 (32368 posts) -

Wow the news just gets worse for Nintendo. They need to pull of a miracle to change the direction it's going in.